Menu

Unscented Soap

flyingiguana

Anyone know of any affordable unscented soap one can get in the US?

I just opened up a new pack of Ivory. It's suddenly loaded with way more perfume than before. I made the mistake of using it. Now my nose is running and I need to sneeze, and I can't wash it off.

I was never a big fan of the scent in Ivory, but it was bearable. Now it's causing me problems (of course, I'd just bought a bunch on sale....)

We tried Dove unscented, but that didn't seem to be actual soap, but a "moisturizing" bar.

I'm having trouble imagining paying 3-18 dollars for a bar of unscented soap. Is there any out there that is reasonably priced?

I can't help you but I am seriously upset about this.  My husband will use only Ivory soap.   In in the 21 years I've known him, he has never ever used anything else.  He can't abide any perfumed soap at all.

Are you sure you didn't buy their newer Aloe soap by mistake?   Maybe it was packaged incorrectly?

(I don't mean to imply you can't buy the right thing.  I've just bought incorrectly when I was in a hurry and didn't notice something new on the package.  I just bought some ivory a week or two ago and it's the same.  But maybe it's old soap.)

I don't know that Ivory has been unscented in recent years. They changed the scent a few years back, but we did get used to it. This is another change. (wikipedia calls Ivory a "mildly" scented soap -- it's not so mild anymore)

With my daughter still having asthma, I've been hoping to find an unscented soap for some time. Problem is, the ones I run into are all fairly expensive. Still, this new change has got MY eyes burning as well. I can only imagine what it's going to do to her.

We've changed over to unscented in everything else, ripped out the carpet, and cleaned up the mold in the basement. The last thing we can change for her asthma is that Ivory soap, but it's been the most difficult to find a replacement.

I've heard of Simple soap, but I've never found it in the US.

That aloe Ivory soap is pretty smelly. I got some once hoping it would have less smell. Cause aloe doesn't smell like much. I guess that was faulty logic on my part.

Been looking for over a decade: I have severe skin allergies to fragrance. Finally, last week, i found an organic brand called "nature clean" has put out a liquid-pump hand soap. I can't tell you how great that is! (And it doesn't smell like Castile soap either: bonus!)

No luck on bar soap yet, though "pears" glycerine soap is pretty close. I can use it up to twice a day without reaction.

(Edited to add: I've also tried dove unscented/sensitive, and gotten 2 uses per day, but I'm not sure it's soap. Similarly, Aveeno is nice, but not soap, and very expensive, and gets used up quickly.)

Organic brands are also a good resource for fresh trance free shampoo, conditioner, etc.

Now, if only I could find bubble bath, my life would be complete!

We use Dial Basics. I get it at Dollar Tree, 3 3.2 oz bars for $1, but I've also seen it in other stores. The link is to their bulk buying site just to show you what it looks like--I buy a single pack of 3 bars in the store. I don't know if it qualifies as totally unscented so you'd want to try smelling it yourself, but we are pretty sensitive to scent here (use unscented laundry detergent, no scented candles ever, etc) and it works for us. I find Ivory overwhelming. 

http://www.dollartree.com/health-beauty/bath-body/Bar-Soap/Dial-Basic-Soap/591c593c1029p90376/index.pro

When I want something totally unscented, I use olive oil soap. I found it on amazon, but that is not where I get it (man, it's expensive on there !). Check for a middle eastern market. We buy a bag with 6 bars in it for like $4.

ETA: Sorry for the confusion, the brand I linked is not the brand I buy. I was just looking for an example. It actually doesn't even LOOK like the type I have. I was just shocked at the price :laugh: ! The one I have is imported and not available online. Mine has no scent as far as I can detect other than the smell of olive oil and when you rinse off, it leaves no scent. Otherwise I have had a hard time finding soap that does not contain at least SOME chemicals/scents, iykwim. 

Kirk's Castile Soap. It's sold at grocery stores near me (in the Southeast) and on Amazon. I think it's cheaper in the store, so you might look there first.

This is what I came to recommend. I love Dr Bronner's, but it's pricey. Kirk's Fragrance-Free is truly unscented (not just "lightly" scented) and reasonably priced. I'm not sure if I've seen it in the stores, but I don't really look for it. I tend to get it with the rest of our supplies on Amazon or on Vitacost. The regular Kirk's has a light enough scent, too, so that if you were OK with the previous formulations of Ivory you may be OK with it as well.

When I want something totally unscented, I use olive oil soap. I found it on amazon, but that is not where I get it (man, it's expensive on there !). Check for a middle eastern market. We buy a bag with 6 bars in it for like $4.

Interesting how perceptions of scent differ. I recently picked up some of the Kiss My Face olive oil soap when I was in a hurry and the store I was in didn't carry the Dial Basics, while the KMF was on sale. We found it had a stronger (to us) smell than the Basics and we had to give it away. Now, we don't have an actual allergy to the ingredients in either soap, this was totally based on perception and strength of the smell. I did try to smell the KMF through the wrapper, but it's plastic rather than paper and I couldn't get an accurate sense of it until the soap was unwrapped.

For those wondering, I don't think Dove moisturizing bars are 'soap' but they are cleansing bars. Same for some versions of Cetaphil. I think they have a different ingredient instead of the strong alkaline that defines soap, but they are used in the same way. Olay Sensitive Soap is also unscented. You shouldn't have trouble finding unscented soap or cleansing bars for way less than $3 a bar. You should pay roughly $1 per bar for any of these standard ones.  

OP, another thing you can do is make soap from unscented glycerin. It's one way to know exactly what's in it, and it's very easy to do. You just heat the glycerin and then pour into a soap mold to set. They have bar molds, plain or pretty, or for practicality you can just get one that is 'loaf' style (one big thing of soap, just slice it into bars). Blocks of glycerin are available at stores like Michael's; use a coupon and it's fairly cheap.  

Dove and Ivory are not soap, they are technically detergents.

If people are sensitive to chemicals the melt and pour soap will have more than most other soaps. That isn't glycerin soap. Clear glycerin soap is achieved by adding alcohol to regular soap. (don't try this at home, it makes a mess if you aren't prepared) Melt and pour has chemicals added to make it melt down more easily. Real glycerin soap won't melt down like that.

You can find Dr Bronner's unscented soap at quite a few places, Target has it. I think it is generally $4-$5

But if you want cheaper unscented soap then Whole Foods has unscented, unwrapped soaps. If you go by the soaps you may see a display of round soaps, they have an unscented version in those. They are less than $3. That may be regional but I have seen them in a few different states.

I have issues with fragrances but I make my own soap.

I get Dr. Bronners in travel-size bottles for about $2. It sudses up so well (especially on a bath poof) that I only need a couple of drops to clean myself, so the tiny bottle lasts something like 4-6 months.

I also like to use detergent-based body washes though, I find they leave less film than true soap does with my hard water. Method brand White Tea scent is impressively un-irritating to my sensitive skin and nose. $5 a bottle lasts me about 6-8 months.

Finally I also find that local handmade soap holds up remarkably well, so $4-6 per bar gets you a long way. If you don't have a local soapmaker, check this one out: http://notyourmothersapron.com/product/milk-honey/

I've tried a variety of the suggestions above. I found that as long as a scent isn't overly strong, or I'm using a natural soap, I am okay. Before I had allergy shots, they all made me snotty and sneezy. :-)

My mom worked with a woman whose husband made his own soap because of allergies/sensitivities. He made plain lye soap, and it's good for both bodies and laundry. It doesn't smell. I've heard it's easy to make once you've read up on the scary parts (lye is dangerous) and know how your particular ingredients will go together.

Dove and Ivory are not soap, they are technically detergents.

If people are sensitive to chemicals the melt and pour soap will have more than most other soaps. That isn't glycerin soap. Clear glycerin soap is achieved by adding alcohol to regular soap. (don't try this at home, it makes a mess if you aren't prepared) Melt and pour has chemicals added to make it melt down more easily. Real glycerin soap won't melt down like that.

But Ivory is clearly labeled as soap - I thought that was regulated? Dove is labeled as a beauty bar.

The meltable stuff we have is labeled glycerin soap; it does list several ingredients, like propylene glycol, but it definitely does not make our ultra-sensitive skin react the way typical fragranced or colored soaps do. It's clear and odorless. We find it even milder than most of the manufactured sensitive soaps. 

Everyone reactions can be different, but we practically have a punch card at the dermatologist for hives and skin reactions, and it doesn't bother us at all. 

When you buy unscented soap, SOMETIMES you are getting even more chemicals, because some manufacturers use scent-masking chemicals. :::scowl::: Some soaps have scent because they use natural ingredients which have scent.

I've become a fan of baby products in the "natural" section -- but even then I am a label reader until I find a good brand.

Yes! We used to buy Whole Food's fragrance-free shampoo and conditioner. My husband was confused, because it definitely has a smell - not a strong one, and not exactly pleasant either. It was just what shampoo and conditioner would smell like, before adding a bunch of other odors.

I love Dr. Bronners. Since it is a very strong soap, I cut it 50/50 for use as a shampoo and body wash and 20% soap and 80% water for a hand soap. A bottle of that stuff can last for a very long time, making it by far the cheapest stuff I can find.

I also use Dr Bronners.  I dilute it with half water as well, so it does last a long time.  Also, one doesn't need much.  And it can be used for dishes, laundry, hand soap, body soap, and hair soap as long as you don't color your hair.

I add a couple drops of essential oils sometimes as well.  I can't do fake fragrances, but real oils are fine.  I love adding lavender to my bath soap and peppermint to the laundry, hand, and dish soap.  :)

I can't help you but I am seriously upset about this.  My husband will use only Ivory soap.   In in the 21 years I've known him, he has never ever used anything else.  He can't abide any perfumed soap at all.

Are you sure you didn't buy their newer Aloe soap by mistake?   Maybe it was packaged incorrectly?

(I don't mean to imply you can't buy the right thing.  I've just bought incorrectly when I was in a hurry and didn't notice something new on the package.  I just bought some ivory a week or two ago and it's the same.  But maybe it's old soap.)

I just bought a package of Ivory soap this week and it smells the same as always.

I agree that maybe she got the Aloe type, or that it was packaged incorrectly. I'm very sensitive to scents, so I would have noticed a change.

I hope they haven't changed the formula and she got the "new stuff!"

It occurs to me that they might be using the same equipment to make various types of soap -- and there is lingering perfume from the last scented batch in my "mildly" scented Ivory. 

If it's aloe soap, it's in the wrong packaging.  But I don't think it is.  It smells like something else.  It has more of a "manly" scent -- the sort of "manly" perfume companies think men want to smell like.

But, to be honest, I'm a little tired of even the mild Ivory scent.  I'd rather have something less intentionally smelly.  Soap does smell, but it doesn't need to be perfumed.

I just sniffed the Dial Basics at the store.  Wow.  No.  Can't use that.  What's basic about that smell?

Guess I'll be making a few more field trips to stores to see what I can find.