Menu

What do you know of Kinesiology, ionic foot detox and nutrition response testing?

LarlaB

I've been seeing a sports chiropractor to assist in helping me recover from a running injury....she's very no nonsense, pragmatic and a tri-athlete herself, so I trust her.

Today the in-office 'nutrition/kinesiology' person starting chatting w/ me about supplements/nutrition aspects of running. I asked to talk to her for a bit (even though I know nothing about her), and so she took me back to her office and with my permission did a ionic foot detox while we talked...The results of the test are oddly in line with what I know is going on in my body- lymph & liver system.

Anyway- she knows her supplements etc and so for that reason, I'm going back next week to show her and talk thru all that I'm taking. But she mentioned nutrition response testing, and after reading about all of this online I wanted to get some input.

Anyone have experience w/ this stuff? Honestly, its on the very outer edges of what I'm comfortable with- its the more vague, subtle forms of holistic medicine etc. She knew her stuff RE supplements and their quality, function etc so on that I'm comfortable ground, but the whole 'lets see how your body responds to the testing' (i.e. holding bottles in one hand seeing the strength in the other) is hard for my somewhat scientific mind to process/accept.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty open minded about holistic medicine and have a background in a medical field, but I don't believe in kinesiology. I took kinesiology in college, but that was basically the physics of how the body moves and not that type of kinesiology ;) I have friends who see holistic practitioners who use it, but I don't personally believe in it at all. That said, I'm open to lots of other alternative medicine techniques, had a homebirth, have used homeopathy and herbal remedies, etc.

I was talking to someone about this the other day. She said the practitioner she took her son to was as weird as blazes and what she did looked like witchcraft. But it fixed a problem, so we agreed if it was witchcraft, it was a worthwhile kind to know. :p

I know one of my previous chiros had a kinesiology qualification as well, but I don't know what was that and what was chiropractics so I can't really comment from personal experience, though the holding stuff to see where the weaknesses are seems to work. The kinesiologist my friend's son saw did weird stuff like laying bits of coloured wool on him, which sounds crackers to me, but hey, he came out the other end cured, so who is going to complain? If it is not going to hurt, you might as well try it.

Anyone have experience w/ this stuff? Honestly, its on the very outer edges of what I'm comfortable with- its the more vague, subtle forms of holistic medicine etc. She knew her stuff RE supplements and their quality, function etc so on that I'm comfortable ground, but the whole 'lets see how your body responds to the testing' (i.e. holding bottles in one hand seeing the strength in the other) is hard for my somewhat scientific mind to process/accept.

Thoughts?

Yes, I have had some experience, not with foot detox, but kinesiology, and Theta healing. Like everything, there's something in it, for sure. It's certainly not a load of codswallop. But, on the other hand, it's not the be-all-end-all-cure-mankind of all it's problems that some people tout it to be.

What I've bolded in your text is why it's looked on weirdly by a lot. In our day and age, we are very scientific/proof oriented. If we can't see how or why it works, (or at the very least even if we don't understand it, there are scientists that have proved it), we find it really hard to accept that it can have some validity. In ages gone, there was much less that was 'proven', and I believe more was just 'accepted' then.

I'm not sure if you identify with Christianity or not, but there are many things that are mentioned in the bible that Jesus did (disappearing and reappearing in a different place, healing by touch, by prayer, speaking with spirits long dead, angel that would come periodically and stir the water of a pool and thereby healing the first person entering the water, ). Realistically if some of this stuff happened today a lot of us would feel very spooked by it. We have gotten to such a proof-based world that we forget that there is another dimension that is beyond what we can logically explain/understand.

In my experience, myself and my family have had noticeable and profound effects (in a positive way) from things that are a little beyond what most people's comfort zone. And the more you look into it, the more you understand the principles behind it all, and it certainly makes sense, and loses its mystery and 'spookiness'!

If it means anything, I would probably be classed as quite a conservative Christian.

Ionic foot detox is a hoax/scam. I know nothing about the other things.

This is a decent summary:

http://swallowingthe...foot-detox.html

The most amazing thing you won't hear about ion foot baths is that they work on just about anything! For instance, if you drop a Mel Gibson DVD into a pool of electrolyzed water with some table salt sprinkled in it, you'll cleanse it of its sins! The water will turn just as murky and retch-inducing as it does when you put your feet in it. Awesome.

Actually, that's not the most amazing thing about ion foot baths. The most amazing thing is that even if you don't put anything at all in the basin, the water will still turn to crud! Wow! So this means one of three things:

1. The foot cleanser is detoxing itself.

2. A ghost is sticking his feet in it.

3. This whole ion foot-cleansing thing is a freaking scam or a mass delusion.

Here's the deal: In order to electrolyze the water, the basin must contain metal elements that serve as electrodes (prongs, rods, whatever). When you electrolyze metal, it sheds minute flakes of iron oxide (rust) into the water, turning it a brownish colour. Guaranteed. In fact, one good way to polish your silver is to electrolyze it.

The truth is, the pores of your feet aren't anything special. Sure, there are a lot of them, but the waste products that collect in the feet (mainly urea and creatinine) can't pass through the skin with or without the help of ions; they are eventually absorbed into other tissues without causing any damage to the body. Not to mention most of the body's waste is colourless, so you wouldn't be able to see it even if it could be drawn out in the foot bath. What you're seeing in the ion bathwater is essentially rust, and maybe some iron precipitate flotsam.

This is just about the muscle testing.

I had no reason to believe in it at all, but dang, the person doing it 100% nailed my known allergies without her knowing about them, and without me knowing what substance was being tested as she want along. (They were in numbered identical vials. To know what substance a vial matched up to, she had a list. I arranged the vials in the case in random order, label down. So she couldn't see the numbers and I couldn't know what they meant. It is apparently important to the process that neither person knows what substance is being tested minute by minute, as preconceived ideas about that substance can affect the results.) The process not only was 100% accurate for allergies I already new about - it also informed me that I was being exposed to nicotine and having an ongoing reaction to it. I had to think hard to figure out where it was coming from - it was coming in the kitchen window from two houses over, when the guy smokes cigars on his deck. I had not realized I was reacting to it daily.

I've been seeing a sports chiropractor to assist in helping me recover from a running injury....she's very no nonsense, pragmatic and a tri-athlete herself, so I trust her.

Today the in-office 'nutrition/kinesiology' person starting chatting w/ me about supplements/nutrition aspects of running. I asked to talk to her for a bit (even though I know nothing about her), and so she took me back to her office and with my permission did a ionic foot detox while we talked...The results of the test are oddly in line with what I know is going on in my body- lymph & liver system.

Anyway- she knows her supplements etc and so for that reason, I'm going back next week to show her and talk thru all that I'm taking. But she mentioned nutrition response testing, and after reading about all of this online I wanted to get some input.

Thoughts?

My thoughts: Neuromuscular feedback/kinesiology/muscle testing - whatever you want to call it. I do this all the time - my parents took a Natural Healing course back when I was in junior high school and ever since then, their house has had a revolving door of "patients" (hundreds) - many who travel from several hundred miles away to have my parents "fix" them (for free - they have never ever charged a fee, and all by word of mouth). My family never puts any type of pill in their mouth before testing it this way - supplement or prescription from a doctor. We've been doing it for over 20 years. I also used it on my kids as babies before we introduced any new foods to them.

As for the foot detox being a "scam" - I haven't had a gall bladder attack in a loooooooong time. Ever since I did a couple foot detox baths and turned the water all nasty green. :p

Ever since I did a couple foot detox baths and turned the water all nasty green.

As would be expected if a copper wire were present.

It is a scam, and an easily debunked one.

This thread was worth reading for this, if for no other reason, my new favorite word.

Terri

Oops! Haha, I didn't mean to derail the thread! I find myself saying it way too much sometimes! Perhaps its more of an Australian word, and that's why haven't heard it!

I have a relative who swears by Applied Kinesthesiology and visits a fancy European clinic, and I've been looking into it a bit for an outside-the-box way to discover additional allergens for my ds, but I just can't wrap my head around it. I've watched youtube videos, and... I'm sorry, but it defies common sense. On the one hand, it's tempting (hey, no blood draw for ds! where's the harm, if I have a hundred bucks or whatever), and on the other hand, I think to myself, "Seriously?? Come on."

However, I can easily imagine myself taking him to do the test anyway out of desperation, while simultaneously silently laughing about what a joke I think it is. Yep, *I* make no sense.

Here's a good picture:

footbath3.jpg

http://www.chem1.com...otBathBunk.html

You place your feet in a bowl of water to which a bit of salt has been added. A small electric current is passed between two electrodes immersed in the water, which soon becomes quite discolored. The color, of course, comes from electrolytic corrosion of the metal electrodes. These are usually made of iron, nickel, and copper, all of which decompose into colored ions. These colors will vary with the amount of salt present and the pH of the solution, and they can be changed and greatly intensified by the substances that either added to the bath before use, or are present in the "soaps" often used to prepare the patient's feet. By-products of the electrolysis process are bubbles of hydrogen and chlorine gases (both of which are dangerous in confined spaces) and sodium hydroxide, commonly known as "lye". The latter tends to soften skin, allowing it to flake off, pick up various colors on reacting with the metal ions, and complete the illusion that one usually pays dearly for: individual treatments can be from $50 up, and the grossly overpriced power supply "machines" sold for home use can go for more than $1000. (You could of course build your own power source from parts obtainable from Radio Shack for around $35; see here for instructions.)

Thoughts?

Our family chiro does this kind of thing. My husband hasn't ever been and he thinks it weird. But for my mom, myself, brother, and now aunt, he has proved to be very accurate. He can usually identify other things wrong with me that I haven't told him. This was also true with my aunt, who has a complicated family history which she did not disclose to him. He correctly pinpointed several things. Not sure about the science behind it, but it has helped me a lot.

As would be expected if a copper wire were present.

It is a scam, and an easily debunked one.

Several family members did it. Everybody got different colors. I was the only one with green - and the only one with gall bladder issues.

No big deal, though. You don't believe. I do. Nothing to discuss really.

Several family members did it. Everybody got different colors. I was the only one with green - and the only one with gall bladder issues.

No big deal, though. You don't believe. I do. Nothing to discuss really.

I'm not trying to change your belief, but to present the science to others. All you have is belief.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/18/health/la-he-skeptic18-2010jan18

"The voltages used in water baths are almost certainly too low to break apart water molecules, added Andrew Barron, chairman of chemistry and professor of materials science at Rice University in Houston. Even if they did, the resulting hydrogen ions would have a positive charge, not a negative charge as some companies claim. A good thing too, because negative hydrogen ions are so highly reactive that they would badly burn a person's feet, he says.

Barron recently tested the water from an ionic foot bath after a 30-minute session. The water was murky, but it didn't show any traces of heavy metals or industrial chemicals other than a few chunks of rust that may have flaked off the electrodes. "If there was a way to pull that through the skin, I'd be shocked," he says. "They're saying things that sound good, but they have absolutely no validity on this planet."

When evaluating any product, Barron says his first question is, "Have they abided by the laws of physics and chemistry?" By that standard, he says, ionic foot baths aren't worth a second look."

All you have is belief.

And personal experience, which actually caused the belief. I was quite skeptical myself, and did google my way through a lot for and against arguments both before and after. BTW, I did not pay anyone to do the foot bath, so was not out anything, except a little time. I used a machine belonging to a family member a couple times.

All I know is that I felt like crap and was having gall bladder attacks. Now, I don't. Whether or not it can be explained by science, it helped me - personally. I'm a aware that I'm just an anecdote and not hard data, but I don't need science to believe everything, especially having experienced it myself.

And personal experience, which actually caused the belief. I was quite skeptical myself, and did google my way through a lot for and against arguments both before and after. BTW, I did not pay anyone to do the foot bath, so was not out anything, except a little time. I used a machine belonging to a family member a couple times.

All I know is that I felt like crap and was having gall bladder attacks. Now, I don't. Whether or not it can be explained by science, it helped me - personally. I'm a aware that I'm just an anecdote and not hard data, but I don't need science to believe everything, especially having experienced it myself.

The great harm in all this though is that since the foot bath thing is a scam, there was likely something else that coincided with the foot bathes that helped with your gall bladder attacks. In attributing your improvement to those foot baths the true cause goes unknown and some day if they resume and you find the foot bath does nothing you're in the same place as you were before the happy coincidence.

RE. muscle testing. In my case, it did not detect scientifically proven nutritional deficiencies (based on blood tests) - in fact, told me that I did not have those deficiencies. The blood tests were done a week after the muscle testing by another practitioner and I did not know what the results would be, so I did not influence the tests at all.

The great harm in all this though is that since the foot bath thing is a scam, there was likely something else that coincided with the foot bathes that helped with your gall bladder attacks. In attributing your improvement to those foot baths the true cause goes unknown and some day if they resume and you find the foot bath does nothing you're in the same place as you were before the happy coincidence.

This.

The water will change regardless of whether or not there are feet present, and nothing can be found in the water after a bath that cannot be explained using high school level chemistry (other than perfectly ordinary sloughed skin). It would seem reasonable to assume that if biological and/or inorganic toxins could indeed be drawn out through the feet, they could be measured in the bath solution after the fact, no?

I'm pretty sure the OP is perfectly capable of googling and finding all of the scam articles. She asked for experience. I shared mine. She also shared that her own experience was "oddly in line" with what she knew was going on.

Even if my gall bladder does start acting up again tomorrow, I've been symptom free for four years. I'll take it, happy coincidence or not.

Like I said previously, I choose to believe. It is really no skin off my nose if others don't. I was answering the original OP's question, that is all.

I have had some "applied" to me - hovering hands and "directing" energy fields, and the "stick out your arm and find what makes it go weak" test. They were silly. In fact, even the Center for Applied Kinesiology says that it should never be used as the sole source of diagnosis or information. True AK is actually related to acupuncture - which I give more credence to.

Jean, I'm glad you went to get a reliable test done.

I think there are more reliable ways to detect allergies, deficiencies, and worms, and to detox.

Oh, and I've "detoxed" my silver flatware many times using this method. Works great!

I have had some "applied" to me - hovering hands and "directing" energy fields, and the "stick out your arm and find what makes it go weak" test. They were silly. In fact, even the Center for Applied Kinesiology says that it should never be used as the sole source of diagnosis or information. True AK is actually related to acupuncture - which I give more credence to.

I did have testing done based on acupuncture points and energy and that was amazingly accurate and reflected scientific tests. I don't totally understand it but I was impressed.

This.

The water will change regardless of whether or not there are feet present, and nothing can be found in the water after a bath that cannot be explained using high school level chemistry (other than perfectly ordinary sloughed skin). It would seem reasonable to assume that if biological and/or inorganic toxins could indeed be drawn out through the feet, they could be measured in the bath solution after the fact, no?

First, I need to just laugh at myself for a moment. :laugh: For "nothing to discuss", I sure am doing a lot of discussing.

As for MY understanding of how the body works, I don't believe that junk was pulled out of some part of my body and deposited directly into the water. That explanation is too simplified - so I do understand and agree that those simplified explanations are a scam and are easily debunked.

I am not the most articulate person in the world, but I will try to put my thoughts/beliefs in to words. Here is my take on it: Somewhere in my body, there was an imbalance - it was affecting my gall bladder. I hooked up the electrodes, did the foot bath, etc. Whatever it did, it "loosened the blockage/rebalanced the imbalance", then my body was able to function in the way that it was designed in such a way that my gall bladder is not, at this time, affected. I don't for one minute believe that I am, in any way, "cured" from ever having problems again. Nor do I necessarily believe it was "heavy metals" or anything other toxin that was even measurable within my body that should not have been there. I do believe there was an imbalance that is now balanced. Perhaps I should have been more clear up front.

No, I don't blindly believe the articles that are "for".

No, I don't blindly believe the articles that are "against".

I researched and made my decision to try it based on both, plus my own understanding of that which we do and, maybe more importantly, do not know about the human body and how it functions. My conclusions are based on my own, admittedly very limited, knowledge of both "western" (allopathic) and "eastern" (ancient or holistic/natural) healing practices.

RE. muscle testing. In my case, it did not detect scientifically proven nutritional deficiencies (based on blood tests) - in fact, told me that I did not have those deficiencies. The blood tests were done a week after the muscle testing by another practitioner and I did not know what the results would be, so I did not influence the tests at all.

How is muscle testing supposed to detect nutritional deficiencies? (I said "supposed to" not "do.")

I think there are more reliable ways to detect allergies, deficiencies, and worms, and to detox.

Oh, and I've "detoxed" my silver flatware many times using this method. Works great!

I had a faith healer wave her hands over me and stop the pain of a severe burn. I recognized though that the key factor wasn't her healing power, it was her power of distraction. Now, when I get a burn I generally find a way to distract myself from the pain rather then seek out a faith healer. I don't need to operate under a false belief or be reliant on another person's scam.

How is muscle testing supposed to detect nutritional deficiencies? (I said "supposed to" not "do.")

You hold a small vial containing the supplement with your arms straight out from your body. The practitioner does these small pushes on your opposite arm. Apparently if you are deficient or allergic your muscles lose strength. http://www.goodhealthinfo.net/herbalists/muscle_testing.htm