Menu

Can you clear a kidney infection with no meds?

I have had this awful lingering cough (as have my entire family) for four weeks! No fever just cough...so when my back started hurting, I just assumed it was from my coughing, but then I woke up Sunday morning struggling to get to the bathroom, the pain in my kidneys was so strong...have never had a kidney stone, but it just felt like they were badly bruised and tender...

i laid in bed for two days and drank loads of water...today, My back was not hurting but when I went to p first thing, I noticed it was most likely blood tinged...much darker, kind of the color of someone on lots of vitamins...so, I figured I have a kidney infection...still feel slightly fluish but can this just fix itself or are antibiotics a must? I know with strep, many times you do not need antibiotics bc your body can fight it...

Just have not had a kidney infxn since I was a child..nor bladder...bladder feels fine...anyone with kidney experience?

UTI - yes, sometimes....

Kidney? No - and you can go septic very quickly - in hours.

You should go to the doc TONIGHT.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

A good friend of mine wound up on life support because of a kidney infection that quickly turned life-threatening. She wound up making a full recovery, but had to be in the ICU for several days.

If you don't have good health insurance, it's definitely worth paying for a doctor's visit and antibiotic vs. waiting and risking a trip to the ER and possibly a stay in the hospital.

If it's a kidney infection, you NEED to get to a doctor. You can't take care of this yourself. Kidney infections can get very serious very quickly.

:iagree:

I'm all for home treatment, and would try treating a UTI myself first. But a kidney infection? No -- even *I* would go to a doctor.

I'm a nurse and my professional opinion is go to the er like NOW! I've seen countless people usually women die from an untreated kidney infection. On a personal note I have chronic utis. Before I got extremely good at noticing the symptoms I had a pinkish tone to my urine at breakfast. By that night I was in ICU. You do not mess with your kidneys.

Kidney infections can kill you and do it fast. My sister had a very serious kidney infection that resulted in surgery. I think you need to go to the ER.

:iagree: I tried to treat a UTI on my own and ended up with a kidney infection. By the time it hurt bad enough to go to the doctor, it was already very serious, and I ended up in the hospital. I no longer mess around with UTIs. :glare:

Thanks everyone, making appt for the morning, if it gets worse will go to ER, just hate our ER, long waits and they missed a dx in my daughter three years ago that wrecked our lives for a year....just not much faith in docs...luckily have not neededthem often....I just feel achy all over and weak...kidneys do not hurt as bad as they did yesterday but still hurt :(

Glad you are going to the dr. I understand not wanting to go to the er. Please though if you start running a fever, vomiting or having chills pleased go to the hospital asap. Honestly if it is a true kidney infection you will need IV antibiotics, at least one big dose before oral meds. Oral meds don't work fast enough but IV meds start working in a few hours.

Well, you could have either kidney stones or a kidney infection. In either case, you really want to go to the dr. I tried to outlast a kidney stone for three days once. It didn't work. I still ended up in the hospital and I could have been on a morphine drip three days earlier. Kidney infections can get pretty bad pretty quick. One good way to try and tell them apart is fever. If you don't have a fever it is more likely to be a stone but if you have a fever and it's rising it is an infection and an emergency.

Well, you could have either kidney stones or a kidney infection. In either case, you really want to go to the dr. I tried to outlast a kidney stone for three days once. It didn't work. I still ended up in the hospital and I could have been on a morphine drip three days earlier. Kidney infections can get pretty bad pretty quick. One good way to try and tell them apart is fever. If you don't have a fever it is more likely to be a stone but if you have a fever and it's rising it is an infection and an emergency.

That makes me feel better, no fever...just felt fluish since Sat night...but I have not had acute pain, the worst pain was after sleeping all night and I guess my kidneys were full...even this morning I can tell my kidneys are not happy but the pain is not as severe as Monday morning or yesterday when I noticed my urine was dark..going in this morning for peace of mind and answer! Thanks all! Dd has been checking my fever constantly bc I told her I would go to ER if my fever spiked...I have a low body temp 96.8 and it only went up to 98.8 so not too bad! Thanks!

I also have a low body temperature as my normal. If your temp is up two degrees above your normal, you do have a fever, even if it is not the traditional "over 99 degrees". I would count yourself as feverish and head for the doctor now. Just my experience. Hope you make a quick recovery and feel better soon! :grouphug:

Elaine

That makes me feel better, no fever...just felt fluish since Sat night...but I have not had acute pain, the worst pain was after sleeping all night and I guess my kidneys were full...even this morning I can tell my kidneys are not happy but the pain is not as severe as Monday morning or yesterday when I noticed my urine was dark..going in this morning for peace of mind and answer! Thanks all! Dd has been checking my fever constantly bc I told her I would go to ER if my fever spiked...I have a low body temp 96.8 and it only went up to 98.8 so not too bad! Thanks!

My DH and I both had similiar symptoms for about 24 hours or less back in December. No stones, no infections, just some strong discomfort and he has some dark urine. SInce we had it at about the same time, and it cleared up as fast as it came, I wondered if we had a virus or something. Curious as to what you find out.

I have had this awful lingering cough (as have my entire family) for four weeks! No fever just cough...so when my back started hurting, I just assumed it was from my coughing, but then I woke up Sunday morning struggling to get to the bathroom, the pain in my kidneys was so strong...have never had a kidney stone, but it just felt like they were badly bruised and tender...

i laid in bed for two days and drank loads of water...today, My back was not hurting but when I went to p first thing, I noticed it was most likely blood tinged...much darker, kind of the color of someone on lots of vitamins...so, I figured I have a kidney infection...still feel slightly fluish but can this just fix itself or are antibiotics a must? I know with strep, many times you do not need antibiotics bc your body can fight it...

Just have not had a kidney infxn since I was a child..nor bladder...bladder feels fine...anyone with kidney experience?

Please do not do this. My sister died from a kidney infection. DIED. The end. She was 42 years old. The bacteria went into her blood and it killed her.

My DH and I both had similiar symptoms for about 24 hours or less back in December. No stones, no infections, just some strong discomfort and he has some dark urine. SInce we had it at about the same time, and it cleared up as fast as it came, I wondered if we had a virus or something. Curious as to what you find out.

First, Quill...soo sorry about your sister!! :grouphug:

The odd thing is, my brother-n-law also just had the same thing!! My sister thought for sure he was passing a stone (she's a nurse and saw all his urine changes b/c he freaked seeing it)...she's beginning to wonder if there is a virus causing this! The weird thing is he's a big coke drinker...I never have coke, and for this entire month have managed not to have my token Diet Dr. Pepper at all..just water...but the day I got sick I had one coke b/c there were no water bottles in a coke machine...that night is when I felt bad..surely a drink would not do this???

I DID get an appt! I do appreciate my doc sees me the same day...they did the urine test and found blood and white blood cells that showed a high count of some type of infection...he said it would not have gone away on its own with as much WBC as were in my system, he showed me the numbers as if he thought they were ridiculously high...he put me on Macrodantin and told me to push fluids...

I agree about the fever, but the mantra I heard when my daughter ran a 99.9 fever for almost a year (chronic strep, and post strep complications) was that a fever less than 102 is not clinically significant...I love doctors, I was pre-med, was in pharmaceutical sales for many years ....but honestly, some are idiots.

Thanks so much for urging me to go, prior to two months ago I have had maybe 3 antibiotics in 25 years, in the past 2 months I've had FOUR and rocephin shots!! Time for me to up my whole foods diet! :)

Thanks!!

First, Quill...soo sorry about your sister!! :grouphug:

The odd thing is, my brother-n-law also just had the same thing!! My sister thought for sure he was passing a stone (she's a nurse and saw all his urine changes b/c he freaked seeing it)...she's beginning to wonder if there is a virus causing this! The weird thing is he's a big coke drinker...I never have coke, and for this entire month have managed not to have my token Diet Dr. Pepper at all..just water...but the day I got sick I had one coke b/c there were no water bottles in a coke machine...that night is when I felt bad..surely a drink would not do this???

I

Thanks!!

Coke free here, so can't blame it on that. OUr symptoms cleared up with no issues within hours. (DH had hernia surgery 2 days later and surely something would have showed up then, but it didn't.)

However, am very glad you went in and feel better soon!

• 1 year later...
Guest BulbasaurIsAwesomeSauce

I have sharp pains in one of my side right now, and im going to see the doctor soon, I don't drink soda, juice, or chocolate/strawberry milk, and I rarely eat candy, and I  only drink water and white milk. I had ONE soda can yesterday for a pumpkin party, and I only drank half of it, and I only drink cranberry juice for bladder infections. The thing is, last night i felt sharp stabbing pains in my stomach while working on homework, and started to vomit up brown-and white stuff. Im guessing it's a kidney stone because on of my sides is starting to well up. Well anyways I'm feeling better after i drank some water and had a few Advil pills, but I'm going back to the doctor's office to get and X-ray.

Hope you feel better though :) Really better ^^