Menu

Eating healthy--How do I start?

Ok, I'm ready, I think, to introduce healthier eating into my household. I'm the worst eater of anyone. I think I have that bitter gene, in that I 've always hated cooked vegetables. I'll eat just about anything raw, but the problem is, I don't really know how to cook.

What are some simple, beginning steps I can take to introduce more healthy foods and start taking out some of the carp I've been craving and indulging in?

I think I could do baby steps.

Ok, I'm ready, I think, to introduce healthier eating into my household. I'm the worst eater of anyone. I think I have that bitter gene, in that I 've always hated cooked vegetables. I'll eat just about anything raw, but the problem is, I don't really know how to cook.

What are some simple, beginning steps I can take to introduce more healthy foods and start taking out some of the carp I've been craving and indulging in?

I think I could do baby steps.

Start with water and whole wheat bread.

Read labels.

Made with wheat flour does not mean WHOLE wheat flour. Needs the word WHOLE. Get bread and pastas made with whole wheat.

Drink lots of water.

You can add lemon juice for flavor.

Or what we do sometimes is half water half apple juice (or other juice).

Also - avoid MSG like the plague and research what it does and the other names for it. Avoid HFCS - high fructose corn syrup.

We've really made some changes this year and I can see that they have become habits. Some things that I see that we have done differently is more fruit...lots more fruit. I buy 2 packs of strawberries a pack of cuties (those yummy little clementines..they are awesome!!), apples & bananas on Friday, then I go back for basically the same stuff on Tuesday. It is expensive, but my children choose it now over junk, so it's worth the $$, in my mind. I keep lots of yogurt and homemade granola around. We keep popcorn for snacks. Our breakfasts consist of healthy cereal like Kashi, oatmeal, whole-wheat bagles, homemade bread & eggs, yogurt with granola and fruit, homemade wheat pancakes. Our lunches need some work, but we eat veggie burgers a lot (we love those), homemade pizza with lots of veggies. For the most part, it's been me making bread and granola and getting them & myself in the habit of fruits and raw veggies for snacks. Keep the good stuff around, then don't buy the bad stuff. There will be no choice at that point. :lol: As time goes by, they will choose the good stuff and like it.

Teresa

What's wrong with putting out a plate of raw veggies with a meal. Spinich makes a great salad, carrots are nice to munch.

Whole wheat is a good place to start. I use whole grain pasta, whole wheat bread, I even buy whole grain crackers for snacks. I love All Bran crackers, but I buy them just for me.:D

Healthy snacks are important. I always have yogurt, nuts, raisins, cheese and fruit for the kids to snack on.

If you don't hate them, beans are an easy way to eat healthy. In the summer I love having hummus in the fridge to eat veggies with. In the cooler months we have lots of different soups with beans. I enjoy eating black beans simmered with onions and with some salsa and chips. That is an easy lunch most of my kids enjoy.

The best thing to do to eat healthy is to NOT buy any bad foods, that way they are not in your house. Also, don't eat out, especially fast food.

HTH

You don't need to eat cooked vegetables to eat healthier.

I started by changing my bread to whole wheat. Another easy way is to follow this though strategy for meal planning especially dinner.

Fish, eggs, chicken, pork or beef

Starchy vegetable or whole grain

Green vegetable

Another vegetable or fruit

Something fermented, pickled or raw

Start thinking two vegetables or one vegetable (non-starchy) and one fruit at dinner.

Small changes equal lasting changes. Pick one thing and do it for a month. Then add something else the next month. It really is a process. Find one thing that you really feel you need to change now, and start with that.

Jennie

IME, starting slowly yields long-term changes.

Add a salad or extra vegetable to meals. Have fruit with breakfast. Eliminate sodas from the daily diet (if you drink them--and that includes diet sodas). Make flavored green teas and ice them if you want a beverage with flavor. Drink filtered water. Go to the websites of any fast food places you visit and look at the nutritional info for the meals you buy. One fast food meal can be loaded with half the calories you need for the day, not to mention being high in bad fats and sodium. Once it hits you that healthier foods keep you fuller longer and keep your blood sugar level, you'll think twice before driving through McD's!

Steam veggies until crisp/tender and let the kids have some vinaigrette or lemon juice on them. High protein snacks (nuts, cheese, yogurt) stick to the ribs longer than things like fruit snacks, "kiddie" snack foods.

Whole grains, start to buy them and just incorporate them into your meals.

Over time, you'll notice that your family has switched over to healthier foods with a minimum of complaint!

Another easy way is to follow this though strategy for meal planning especially dinner.

Fish, eggs, chicken, pork or beef

Starchy vegetable or whole grain

Green vegetable

Another vegetable or fruit

Something fermented, pickled or raw

Start thinking two vegetables or one vegetable (non-starchy) and one fruit at dinner.

This is really helpful - thanks!

Thanks for the ideas so far! In response--

I can't drink milk, or the cowshare would be cool. I can have yogurt and some cheese, tho, and I like beans.

I don't buy junk for the house, I only eat it myself out of the house. I'm not a "give kids juice or fruit snack things" kinda gal. I eat way too much McD's--I think I'm honestly addicted. I'm actually well-acquainted with the addiction mentality thru our son's theraputic placement, so I'm applying that to my situation and finding it fits. The insight is sobering and helpful, and also a pia.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will start with the water and the banning of fast food this week. Maybe I can let you know my progress, and you could cheer me on? :D That might become tiresome, tho...

I don't eat healthy, but I don't cook, either. So I can answer the "easy" part of your question. There are frozen bags of veggies that come in a bag that you can stick in the mic for 5 min--the whole bag, unopened--& they come out perfectly steamed. So sweet that my whole family will just munch them for snacks before dinner if I don't watch them.

If you like that, then they make steamer bags for the mic, too. You get those on the aisle w/ paper goods. You fill them w/ whatever fresh veggie you want to steam, & the bag tells you how many mins to steam it. Almost as good as the frozen version.

When I steam stuff on the stove top, it does have a more bitter, metallic taste. Plus it takes longer, & there's clean-up involved.

Precutting fruit for the fridge helps me. I basically don't like to prep anything. If I can grab & go, I eat. Otherwise, there's a good chance I'd just starve. Luckily, my kids have learned quite a bit of survival skills, so they're pretty well fed, over all. :001_huh: :lol:

I can't drink milk, or the cowshare would be cool. I can have yogurt and some cheese, tho, and I like beans.

I don't buy junk for the house, I only eat it myself out of the house. I'm not a "give kids juice or fruit snack things" kinda gal. I eat way too much McD's--I think I'm honestly addicted. I'm actually well-acquainted with the addiction mentality thru our son's theraputic placement, so I'm applying that to my situation and finding it fits. The insight is sobering and helpful, and also a pia.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will start with the water and the banning of fast food this week. Maybe I can let you know my progress, and you could cheer me on? :D That might become tiresome, tho...

does your "can't drink milk" apply to raw milk too? I know that some people can drink raw milk but not pasteurized milk.

ok, so this is more about you personally than your family as a whole, right?

I went the other way: I don't mind getting McD's and cokes for me, but started instituting changes for the family: Nature's Own Whole Wheat bread, HFCS-free ketchup, pickles, sauces, dressings; more juices/water; not keeping too many sugary snacks, etc.

something you might want to consider is babystepping the fast food.

Instead of grabbing McD's, load the freezer w/ healthier frozen food options that you can heat up quickly.

That will help you cut back on the "going out" that is so much a part of the McD's thing. Which do you think is the bigger component: the getting out of the house or the actual food?

Once you are ok w/ not going out so much and getting used to fixing something at home, then start finding things that are just "one more step" in preparation from frozen convenience items: stuff you have to assemble or add another ingredient.

So i would ask: what do you think is your favorite healthy food that you eat at home?

If the getting out of the house is a big part of the McD's thing, then i would suggest turning it into a going-to-the-store-and-buying-a-healthy-snack gig instead of always hitting the drive thru. ;)

My problem is that i detest spending more time in prep and cleanup than consumption.

I don't eat healthy, but I don't cook, either. So I can answer the "easy" part of your question. There are frozen bags of veggies that come in a bag that you can stick in the mic for 5 min--the whole bag, unopened--& they come out perfectly steamed. So sweet that my whole family will just munch them for snacks before dinner if I don't watch them.

If you like that, then they make steamer bags for the mic, too. You get those on the aisle w/ paper goods. You fill them w/ whatever fresh veggie you want to steam, & the bag tells you how many mins to steam it. Almost as good as the frozen version.

When I steam stuff on the stove top, it does have a more bitter, metallic taste. Plus it takes longer, & there's clean-up involved.

Precutting fruit for the fridge helps me. I basically don't like to prep anything. If I can grab & go, I eat. Otherwise, there's a good chance I'd just starve. Luckily, my kids have learned quite a bit of survival skills, so they're pretty well fed, over all. :001_huh: :lol:

LOL!

gmta :)

I don't mind making stuff like mac and cheese outta the box or cooking frozen veggies in the mic. My oldest will add grated cheese.

When it comes to cooking veggies, I put about 1 tsp of olive oil in a pan over meduim heat. I saute my veggies in it for about 1 minute ... just until the color changes to a bright green ... and then I add a little bit of chicken stock ... about 1 tbsp. I lower the heat to meduim low, add a little bit of salt, and I cover and let steam. The amount of time you let them steam depends on the veggies you use. When it is done I add 1 tsp of butter.

What i have done to get the whole family to limit junk is: We only get one opportunity to eat candy. Whenever I go grocery shopping they get the chance to pick out 1 single serving of candy at the checkout and that is it. I also make sure that every meal has whole grains, lean protiens, and bright colorful veggies(the more color in fruits and veggies the healthier they tend to be). Well except for breakfast. For breakfast we make sure there is a fruit instead of a veggie. Fruits instead of juice. Lots of water to drink. Lots of times you think your hungry or you have a craving but what it really is is your body trying to find a way to get some water.

Have you seen the documentary "Supersize Me"? It is an eye opener when it comes to fast food.

Have you seen the documentary "Supersize Me"? It is an eye opener when it comes to fast food.

only if you refuse to consider that fast food has fed a lot of people pretty well for a lot of years. ;)

It's really too full of bias and propaganda. Some of us have our eyes wide open already and see plenty of Other Sides. :D

If money is no object and you can't cook, buy Amy's frozen foods. They are delicious and healthy, and oh yes, vegetarian that you don't even notice. Our family is not vegetarian but we could eat Amy's for weeks if only frozen foods were available.

If you can cook, start small. Replace half of your grains with whole grains. The replace half of your foods with fresh, whole foods. Then half of those foods with organic foods. Then half of your fats to healthy fats. And so on. Small steps, big changes. I highly recommend the book "Family Nutrition" by Dr. Sears to start with. For decadent, healthy recipes get "Food to Live By The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook. So good, so healthy.

I believe eating healthy is eating delicious whole, fresh, preferably organic foods. If it's not going to taste good, you're not going to stick to your lifestyle. I have done much reading on the subject. Limit sugars, unhealthy fats, and increase vegetables, fruits, whole grains and healthy fats. Avoid high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavor, food dyes and additives. Opt for natural preservatives instead, like vitamin C and mixed tocopherols.

Good luck, and healthy eating!

Since you mentioned you don't like cooked veggies, I just wanted to encourage you that raw is perfectly okay! Something you could do that would be of great benefit to your health is learning how to ferment vegetables. Fermented vegetables are richer in vitamins and enzymes, and they have probiotics. They boost immunity, help all kinds of digestive problems, and they are just plain yummy!

The process is a bit time consuming, but it isn't difficult at all. And you can get your kids involved too -- it's fun pounding on shredded veggies with a meat mallet! I use the recipes in Nourishing Traditions, but I've heard that Wild Fermentation is a great resource as well. I found the idea intimidating at first, but it's easier than it sounds. I actually really enjoy it now, both the process of making them and of course especially the eating of them. :D

ETA: You can also make fermented beverages using either whey or water kefir grains. Lemonade, ginger ale, all kinds of fruity concoctions that are good and good for you.

Edited by GretaLynne

only if you refuse to consider that fast food has fed a lot of people pretty well for a lot of years. ;)

Hmmm . . . I'm going to have to assume that you and I have different definitions of "pretty well" and leave it at that. :D

Precutting fruit for the fridge helps me. :001_huh: :lol:

Pre-cutting/washing has been the single biggest step in improving the amount of fruits and veggies we eat. I guess we're just lazy, but I've discovered that we consume much more good stuff when it's easy to grab. Here are a few things I prep (I try to do this as soon after buying the groceries as possible):

Wash/tear leaf lettuces, add diced red/yellow/orange bell pepper and green onions and keep in a tupperware bowl. We use this mix for salads (sometimes add walnuts, mandarin oranges, carrots, whatever) and throw it on sandwiches. It keeps for about a week, if the produce was fresh.

Wash grapes and cut into little single serving stems.

Peel ruby red grapefruit (like an orange) and tangelos. Keep in tupperware or ziplocks.

Wash and cut bell pepper (red, yellow, orange) into slices, clean and slice a cuke, peel carrots, etc. Put in tupperware to eat raw with light ranch veggie dip or hummus.

The key for me is to do this work as soon as I buy the stuff. Otherwise, it languishes in my vegetable bin and goes bad before we use it.

Beth

Another easy way to cook veggies is to roast them in the oven, (winter) or on the BBQ (summer). For an oven roast just wash veggies, (Brussel sprout, bell peppers, onion, zuchinni, asparagus and califlower are my favs) and put them in a 9X13 pan. Add 2 Tblsp of extra virgin olive oil and mix well. Sprinkle salt on top and bake at 400 degree for 20-30 mintues. So good!

Another way to add cooked veggies to your diet is to try some of the recipes on allrecipes.com. Just search on the veggie you want to try and sort the recipes by rating. I found some great recipes for kale, spinach, bok choy and squash that way. Just take the time to read some of the reviews before you try them.

Also, if you want to learn more about nutrition then I suggest Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. The book might be a little overwhelming, but it has motivating statistic on eating healthy.

Good Luck!

The cure to a McD's addiction is to re-train your tastebuds! I think these guys are saints ;) http://www.slowfood.com/about_us/eng/taste_education.lasso Ooh! If you lived here I'd cart you off to our local lavender farm for lavender lemonade and lavender scones! You wouldn't even look at the McD's on the way home.

Raw is good. Have you looked at any raw foodie cookbooks? At the very least, I feel so much better when I have a salad with dinner. I even tried a sprouted raw porridge recipe the other week. Better than I expected!

:)

Rosie- receiving Wild Fermentations in the mail very soon!! I'm so excited!

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but some of those bagged things DO have sugar added in them. I kid you not.

well, uh, yeah! I would probably add sugar to some things too. beef tastes great w/ brown sugar drizzled over it ;)

but they are a start :D