Menu

Would this bother you? (CC about ps issue)

I have a first grader in ps right now and she just told me last week that they are studying The Day of the Dead....usually the teacher teaches this unit around Halloween but she was out of the country at the time so she's teaching it now.

This teacher does not celebrate Christmas, she's jewish, and in the past, has had anything "holiday-ish" banned from the school, i.e. Secret Santa exchanges between teachers, class Christmas parties, etc. Well, it's only her class that doesn't have a class party.

Anyway, I'm currently praying whether we should bring our dc back home. I put them back in ps when I was pregnant with our 5th child. My 3rd grader told me that her teacher read the class a book about how all religions are the same.

Anyway, my question is: as a believer, would you let your first grader continue with the unit or would you request she not participate. I'm not sure what to do. I'm irritated at the hypocrisy but I'm also wondering what would be the appropriate action. My dd and I have already discussed how Jesus did not teach that we could put out food and decorations for our deceased loved ones to enjoy when they returned to visit. The fact that this holiday have ties to the Roman Catholic church and pagan rituals makes me a little leery also. Of course, then I suppose we have to consider Christmas and Easter.....but that's more than I can handle right now. I would welcome the discussion if anyone is interested however.

So can anyone help clear my head on this??

Thanks so much!

I wouldn't have any trouble with my child learning about Dia de los Muertos -- assuming it was presented as a cultural unit.

The hypocrisy is indeed frustrating, and I empathize with you about that. I also think it's weird to study Dia de los Muertos *now*, when the holiday is long past. Why not focus on a cultural celebration that ties in with spring?

And, our school district was certainly more conservative and accepting than most. As for Dia de Los Muertos...the question for me would be "why study it at all?". I'd not want my child to participate...waste of time if you ask me. Also, we don't celebrate Halloween anyway b/c of it's ties to the occult (please, please...I DON'T want to start a debate here...just our convictions! :)) JMNSHO...you must do what is best for your family. I'd much rather my dc spend their academic time studying about our Christian heritage/holidays than pagan holidays. Again, JUST my opinion. :)

I have also pulled my kid out of public school for nonsense like "all religions are the same."

As a Catholic, I avoid curricula and co-ops where people who influence children believe and teach that Catholics and pagans are similar evils to avoid.

Try homeschooling! Then you won't have to put up with anyone's opinion but your own. If it's important enough to you, then it will become the only option. I learned when my kid was in public school that there is no appealing to most teachers. The choices are either to like it or be quiet about it.

I love Day of the Dead and have participated in celebrations here in Atlanta at the Mexican Consulate. It is a wonderful family event and I'm at a loss as to why Jesus would be upset with this holiday to honor family members who have passed. Can't children learn of things (cultures/beliefs/history...etc), even if the family does not "believe" in it... just for knowledge, for understanding?

I am a Christian and I would not have a problem with this if it was part of a cultural unit study. My two older kids have learned about Dia de Los Muertos as part of their Spanish classes, for instance. They've also eaten Mexican food and made pinatas. It's part of learning about a culture. I don't think we have to agree with everything that other people do in order to learn about their customs. If you don't like the holiday (and I can understand that), talk with your child about what you believe and why you don't like it.

BTW, someone said, "Catholic bashing, the last acceptable prejudice." I am a Protestant and I do NOT find that acceptable. It's important to remember that there are people of all beliefs and backgrounds on this board and to be respectful. Perhaps it would have been better to just say that you are concerned because this holiday does not match up with your own beliefs. :)

. . . that included studying the Day of the Dead wouldn't bother me. Studying the religion of a culture is different than teaching religion. I don't have a problem with pagan myths, for example, because I know they're being taught as part of the culture of ancient Greece or Rome. I don't have a problem with my kids learning about Hinduism while studying India, or Buddhism while studying Thailand.

I WOULD have a problem with celebrating the holidays of one religion while banning the holidays of another. Or praying the prayers of another religion (as opposed to simply reading them). And it sounds like this woman is haphazard in how she applies her antipathy toward religion in schools. If she is doing activities with them that encourage "playing at" celebrating the Day of the Dead, I would call her on it. I would insist that all religions be treated equally--either we ignore all religious or semi-religious aspects of cultures that we are studying or we include them all.

I love Day of the Dead and have participated in celebrations here in Atlanta at the Mexican Consulate. It is a wonderful family event and I'm at a loss as to why Jesus would be upset with this holiday to honor family members who have passed. Can't children learn of things (cultures/beliefs/history...etc), even if the family does not "believe" in it... just for knowledge, for understanding?

Exactly Jenny.. Dia de los Muertos is a cultural celebration of the passing of loved ones. It is NOT something sinister, devious, or diabolical. It isn't anything like Halloween or Christmas--those are not culteral, those are just holidays that a particular culture picked up on.

This is not even a holiday really, it is a celebration that anyone of Mexican Heritage participates in because they celebrate the passing of loved ones and the ones who are still living.

And Catholic bashing--even *I* don't do that. ;)

It does seem like you have some red flags going up...that YOU have a problem with. I think it'll be the same old thing at public school with something always cropping up here or there. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but just consider what you can live with. I mean you'll always have to handle one situation or another when they aren't in your sight. Personally I'm a bit surprised that they have that unit in 1st grade. I would think kids should be older.

Alison in KY

As to the question of whether you should pull them out and homeschool them....

Well, do you want to homeschool? Do you feel prepared to homeschool?

If you send your children to public school then you are just sort of stuck with what the public school does. You can protest some things. For instance, you can forbid the school to use corporal punishment or you can require that your children not read certain books. During our unfortunate public school experiment I did not allow my then 4th grader to attend storytime while Harry Potter was being read. And if they had even thought about ever paddling her there would have been (insert name of hot place here) to pay. But to opt out of class? No, I don't think one can do that.

For me it is as simple as this, there are many, many things that the public schools teach, do, and allow that are unacceptable to me. I cannot expect the schools to cater to me and my beliefs, so I simply say "No thanks" to what they have to offer and do the best I can to educate my children myself.

Anyway, I'm currently praying whether we should bring our dc back home. [snip]

The fact that this holiday have ties to the Roman Catholic church and pagan rituals makes me a little leery also.

I would not have a problem with a child studying about holidays celebrated in other countries, no. I would have a problem if my child were asked to "play act" being a member of another faith as part of that study. I would have an even more serious problem with indifferentism being taught in the classroom because it goes directly against the teachings of my church.

However - and please hear this as charitably as it is meant - the opinions you express about other Christians, let alone other faiths, tell me that ps is not the ideal choice for your family. If you truly do not want your child exposed to anything other than your type of Christianity, homeschooling is the best option, imo.

But to opt out of class? No, I don't think one can do that.

Kelli--I just wanted to tell you that at least in my DH's school district, a student CAN religiously exempt out of a class that is being taught. On the high school level, it's only as simple as picking the classes they want, which presumes they'll pick classes you want them to have.

But in elementary/middle--they can opt of out a particular study at any given time, so long as they claim religious exemption. If she truly feels that this particular study goes against her beliefs, she can have her child opt out and chances are he'd either sit in another class during that period or he'd go to the library.

But they can also tell her "no" and give her reasons as "no class space" or "the other classes are teaching the same thing" or "there is no supervision in the library for him". They don't usually say no, but they can.

As to the one questioning why a 1st grader would be taught this, why wouldn't they wait until older? Because they don't need to. There is no legitimate reason to hold a study off like this, in public school. Usually until grade 3, the studies are in what we know as Unit study format anyway and chances are, all the classes in that range are teaching the same study. Plus, there are state standards that do dictate what a child should learn in each grade level and at 1st grade, that's usually "cultures". So this would be wholely appropriate for the group.

it sounds like you are having some concerns about the classroom. Personally, I think if you put a kid in public school (or any school) you must assume that they will be hearing things that go against what you believe. So, it is important to do what you are doing, and talk to your dd about them. I think it is a good skill for kids to learn, that not everything they read or that an adult tells them is what we believe.

For me that would not be reason enough to homeschool my kids. I don't homeschool because I am worried about what they will hear at school. But, it sounds like this might be the straw that broke the camel's back for you.

I also think it is odd to study that unit right now, and it sounds like the teacher has an agenda, but I guess, every teacher has an agenda of some sort.

I also think it is odd to study that unit right now, and it sounds like the teacher has an agenda, but I guess, every teacher has an agenda of some sort.

First, we have catholic bashing in the OP and now PS teacher bashing. Listen, the only "agenda" my DH has is to teach his kids physics. That's it and nothing more. Are some teachers arsehats? Yeah, they are and they were when I went to school.

But they do not have agendas! I hate that. I really do. And I feel badly for my DH, he's got to teach these kids who have parents who want to question him on everything he does and then blame him when their kid fails. And you know, we need teachers. Good ones, especially. And I know *I*'d be a good math teacher.

But I'm second guessing this. I don't want to deal with parents who constantly accuse me of having an "agenda".

Don't like PS, that's fine and dandy. But don't bash all PS teachers and accuse them of having "agendas of some sort".

Let the neg reps fly. I don't care. This burns me.

But don't bash all PS teachers and accuse them of having "agendas of some sort".

I"m sorry, Toni--I appreciate your point (I don't care for PS-bashing, either), but I don't see how WTMindy did that.

She said, "It sounds like the teacher has an agenda." As in, this teacher, the one that OP is dealing with. How is this PS-bashing? How does this say anything whatever negative about your dh?

And I thought she was even further diffusing that by putting it in a context: all teachers "have an agenda," because they don't stop being people with opinions and goals and desires just because they walked through the door of a classroom.

I have agendas. I had them when I was a middle school teacher/tutor, and I have them now that I teach college kids. I'm sure some parents wouldn't particularly like my agendas. But I'm not agenda-free.

For me that would not be reason enough to homeschool my kids.

Not really about the OP, more about Kelli staying on the computer as part of a laundry/dishes avoidance tactic, but I am generally really discouraged when people want to homeschool because of all they don't like about public school.

I am not crazy about the schools in my district, but, like you, that is certainly not reason enough to take on the awesome, exhausting, exhilarating task of educating my children myself.

I feel so much better when people homeschool primarily for the benefits of home centered learning, rather than to avoid the glitches that come with institutionalized learning environments. To me, avoiding what I don't like about our schools is just the icing on the cake.

Okay, I am done with my rabbit trail!

I"m sorry, Toni--I appreciate your point (I don't care for PS-bashing, either), but I don't see how WTMindy did that.

She said, "It sounds like the teacher has an agenda." As in, this teacher, the one that OP is dealing with. How is this PS-bashing? How does this say anything whatever negative about your dh?

The rest of the sentence was this:

but I guess, every teacher has an agenda of some sort

Pari--finish the sentence please. She also said "But I guess EVERY teacher has an agenda of some sort"

And I am allowed to be burned by this statement because I've been repeatedly asked not to lump "every" Christian in with the bad ones, that I need to make sure I differeniate between them.

So now I'm calling her on it--no, not EVERY teacher has an agenda and in fact, nearly all of them do not. And since I know, especially so, that my DH does not, and that my DH DOES have to deal with parents like the OP, I am especially burned by that statement.

Especially since I am wiping my rear-end out by going back to school myself, to teach.

My son is attending a hs coop this year. He is reading material I would NEVER have him read. However, because I have enrolled him in this coop knowing that this is their chosen material (it is more than a co-op; he takes all his classes there two days a week) and therefore, imo, I am giving up the right to have control over that. And, frankly, he is 15, a sophomore and is ready to wrestle with issues, ideas, etc.. in this environment.

I doubt I would choose to spend much time studying the aforementioned subject, especially at that age. I would not like my children being taught that all religions are the same. However, teachers are teaching their best, for the most part. It is secular school. It is not designed to show preference to Christians. Does it sometimes discriminate against? Yes.

What I would look at, in addition to whether or not I felt capable of bringing them home, is whether or not it is having a negative impact on them. Are the children being swayed to those beliefs indiscriminately? Or are they becoming arrogant in their own beliefs by having to defend them (internally or externally) before they are ready. Is it confusing to them or drawing their hearts away from you as their parents?

I know of really awesome Christian families whose children go through ps with their faith in tack, etc... So much, in my mind, depends on your children's relationship with you and whether that is being damaged.

I doubt I would choose to spend much time studying the aforementioned subject, especially at that age. I would not like my children being taught that all religions are the same. However, teachers are teaching their best, for the most part. It is secular school. It is not designed to show preference to Christians. Does it sometimes discriminate against? Yes.

I agree. I can't imagine a whole unit on the Day of the Dead. I think we talked about for a few minutes once! There are so many more important things to teach.

But, as Christians, we cannot expect secular institutions like schools to cater to us. We either opt in and accept what the school deems as important, or opt out and set our own agenda.

Teachers are human beings and come to school with all that makes them who they are. When my daughter was in high school she had teachers who were openly Christian (even praying in class) and she had teachers that were not.

And I thought she was even further diffusing that by putting it in a context: all teachers "have an agenda," because they don't stop being people with opinions and goals and desires just because they walked through the door of a classroom.

True--they don't stop being people when they walk in that door, but when they took the job they took it knowing their opinions were not welcome. They had to teach (to the test, to the book, to the school district) and if they did so otherwise, they'd lose their job. It's that simple.

So no, I will still disagree with you--they do not have agendas and they especially are not "out" to "get" your kids for anything other than teaching them what they are required to teach by law.

I have agendas. I had them when I was a middle school teacher/tutor, and I have them now that I teach college kids. I'm sure some parents wouldn't particularly like my agendas. But I'm not agenda-free.

In college, I would expect more dialogue between you and your students than at the middle/elementary level. They are adults then and are in college for, presumably, a higher education. One that gets them a decent job. So I would expect you and your "agenda" to be more available to them, it's the only way they would learn their chosen field or subject.

But I still will take umbrage with the "agenda" bit below college level. My only agenda is to teach them math. Your only agenda should have been to teach them your subject. As you are required to by law. Your (and my) opinions (below college level) do not factor in to this, ever.

(I don't need an excuse to be "aggressive".. but I wonder, why is it I'm called aggressive when I defend something that is wholely wrong, but others, who have yet to be called on it, can totally bash a faith in one sentence and be ignored for doing so? Hmm, makes me wonder--"It really IS me" and then I feel all special inside. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: --since I'm only allowed 4)

I agree. I can't imagine a whole unit on the Day of the Dead. I think we talked about for a few minutes once! There are so many more important things to teach.

But, as Christians, we cannot expect secular institutions like schools to cater to us. We either opt in and accept what the school deems as important, or opt out and set our own agenda.

Teachers are human beings and come to school with all that makes them who they are. When my daughter was in high school she had teachers who were openly Christian (even praying in class) and she had teachers that were not.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but that was pretty much my point as well, Kelli.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but that was pretty much my point as well, Kelli.

I know, I was agreeing with you!!:)

See, we need to all meet at Starbucks to discuss these things! Then when you said what you said I would have hoisted my coffee cup towards you and said "Well said, Cordelia"!!!:D

If I were off doing laundry like I am supposed to be, I would not be here creating confusion!!!

True--they don't stop being people when they walk in that door...they do not have agendas and they especially are not "out" to "get" your kids for anything other than teaching them what they are required to teach by law.

This is so true. As you all know, we recently enrolled our four boys in the public schools. We are thrilled. The boys' teachers are fantastic, and these teachers are for grades 5, 6, 8, and 10. There is no agenda other than teaching the students, and these teachers are doing a fantastic job of doing exactly that. I know their job is difficult, and I have great admiration for them.

Ria

In regard to the comment about linking Catholics and paganism being at best an insult, at worst prejucicial -Thanks for your courage . As a fellow human being and Catholic Christian I have grown weary of even responding to misinformed or just plain old disrespectful comments regarding not only Catholicism but Mormonism and Islam as well. There is a big difference between a geniune question regarding practices and beliefs and a derogatory comment . It is rare to find the latter here but it is a good thing to call it what it is-bigotry and ignorance.

Thanks for your courage . As a fellow human being and Catholic Christian I have grown weary of even responding to misinformed or just plain old disrespectful comments regarding not only Catholicism but Mormonism and Islam as well. There is a big difference between a geniune question regarding practices and beliefs and a derogatory comment . It is rare to find the latter here but it is a good thing to call it what it is-bigotry and ignorance.

Some people, though, are so new to the idea that there are actual Christians that are Roman Catholics that they use this language without thinking twice about it. I think it's very good to respond. If nothing else but to let people know that there are others who don't believe exactly as they do in the "room."

And of course, the pagans on this board might have a different discussion about having their practices being described as evil, even in context of being co-opted by Christianity. :)

So can anyone help clear my head on this??

Here is my opinion, which I believe might help clear your head. I think you have to look at what you believe about child development in order to answer your own question.

If you believe that your daughter's well-being is endangered by being exposed to those things you consider incorrect, without you present to remind her frequently of how and why it's wrong, then you should pull her from the school or at least from this unit.

If you believe that she can grow into the sort of person you believe she should be, even while learning that others don't do things the same way, then all you need do is ask the teacher to clarify if the kids are studying Dia de los Muertes or celebrating it, and if she says celebrating, then ask her why this holiday is okay, but Christmas is not.

I have one kid who is pretty impressionable, and there's no way I'd expose him -- at his current age -- to viewpoints I'm not able to explain away in a developmentally appropriate way. It would cause years of needless confusion and angst while his intellectual ability to logical discern truth from falsehood caught up to his ability to comprehend an individuals claim. I have another kid who is pretty logical and thoughtful, and slow to accept new things. I think he could handle being exposed to any idea without being impacted. So, in addition to reading about the spiritual development of children, you should consider your daughter's personality.

(Because you prefaced your request with, "as a believer, would you . . .," and because you might believe that ideas stemming from Pagans can negatively impact your spirituality, I should clarify that I'm a believer in the old gods. But I totally wouldn't bring it up otherwise and you can ignore that if you feel comfortable doing so; we all want to protect our kids and need a system of sorting out what's harmful and what's not.)

In regard to the comment about linking Catholics and paganism being at best an insult, at worst prejucicial -Thanks for your courage . As a fellow human being and Catholic Christian I have grown weary of even responding to misinformed or just plain old disrespectful comments regarding not only Catholicism but Mormonism and Islam as well. There is a big difference between a geniune question regarding practices and beliefs and a derogatory comment . It is rare to find the latter here but it is a good thing to call it what it is-bigotry and ignorance.

Huh. That's interesting.

I took her comment about the ties to Catholicism and paganism in a different spirit than you did. She's not Catholic. She doesn't want the school teaching her kid Catholicism. She's not pagan. She doesn't want the school teaching her kid paganism. That seems fair, especially since that particular teacher has been a PITA about scouring any trace of Protestantism from her school.

Me, I'd take just about any religion over secular humanism! :D

Anyway, yes, I had a bit of a :rolleyes: over the comment--I don't share OP's opinion on avoiding Catholic practices. But it doesn't strike me as necessarily bigoted that she knows that she's not Catholic and doesn't want to be. I'm not Muslim, and I don't want to be, but it's not bigotry that would make me say something like, "Well, that's an Islamic holiday, and I don't celebrate it."

Actually, in a twisted way, I kind of appreciated her comment. The holiday as it is celebrated isn't just Culture Day, where a bunch of agnostic people get together and do "cultural" things. It has a religious component to it--it's a religious holiday. I've actually had to make that argument to ruthless secularists myself. That teacher thought it was a nice, safe "cultural" thing to do, when really, it is an expression of faith by devout Catholic Christians.

I've actually had to make that argument to ruthless secularists myself

Are you calling me ruthless? Thems fightin' words lady.. ;)

(and just because I am only kidding here is three more :) ;) ;) )

But seriously, Pari--yes, your argument is legit and true. I think it was just the way she said it that kind of hit the spirit a bit.

Yup. You are ruthless. You are completely lacking in ruth.

Me, I'm just full of ruth. I'm ruthful.

Don't you think that should be a word? Ruthful?

:D:D:D:D

Bah... yeah why not--call up Webster's and tell them that since they put "ain't" in the dictionary, that we want "ruthful" in there as well.

And me? I am so not lacking in ruth.. :biggrin

The fact that this holiday have ties to the Roman Catholic church and pagan rituals makes me a little leery also. QUOTE]

oooh, no! Not ties to theCATHOLIC CHURCH!

Catholic bashing. The last acceptable prejudice.

Well, what about Pagans? It's pagan bashing also! And I'll wager that the teacher has seen her share of bashing of her beliefs as well. (She's Jewish.)

As for the OP, I think this would be OK as a cultural study, as would any information on various winter holidays. I an a firm supporter of the separation of church and state.

Barbara Kingsolver has a very interesting take on this celebration in her book. In is in the November chapter. In the end she feels it is just a cultures way of remembering family members that have pasted away. Yes she says that certain religious groups have tried to incorporate this into their holiday calendar which sadly have invited bad images to its root meaning. I guess I would want to see how the teacher was going to be presentling this ie as a cultural rememberance or as a religious holiday. I would be fine with the cultural rememberance.

I must be dense because I don't understand how this Day of the Dead can be studied from a cultural viewpoint without the religious aspect. Studying the Latino people....that's cultural, imo, but this is a celebration with religious underpinnings.

I did speak with the teacher, she emphasized that what she so appreciates about this day is how it is a celebration of a deceased loved ones life. The projects they are doing are things like: decorating a life size skeleton, making little paper skeletons that are playing banjos (girls) or have swords (boys), making sugar skulls, etc. I don't see the connection between these kinds of crafts and remembering our loved ones. I actually think it is quite dark and it makes me very uncomfortable.

It breaks my heart to picture my 7 yo, working on these kinds of projects during the school day. If it were completely up to me, I'd probably bring her home for the duration of the unit (it still has 2-3 weeks to go) and have her do her school work at home. She has said she wants to be homeschooled and she admitted being a little scared when they started the unit. I'm contemplating bringing all of my children home for the next school year. It scares me to death because I just don't know how I'd do it but that will figure itself all out. If God makes it plain to us, then I won't worry about it. The one thing I know is that things always work out. That's the theme of my life, that's for sure.

Anyway, can someone explain to me how this unit can be studied without the religious part??

Thanks!

The projects they are doing are things like: decorating a life size skeleton, making little paper skeletons that are playing banjos (girls) or have swords (boys), making sugar skulls, etc.

Anyway, can someone explain to me how this unit can be studied without the religious part??

Thanks!

The crafts the kids are doing don't sound religious at all to me. I would definitely say they are cultural.

I was in Mexico during November several years ago, and one of the art museums had an exhibit of the Day of the Dead family trees (my term, I can't remember what they called them). They were very elaborate. All the people were represented by little skeletons with props that expressed their personality (instruments, books, cooking spoons, garden tools, etc.). Not at all scary or macabre, although I thought before we went that it might be.

You know, ultimately it doesn't matter what percentage of hive members think one way or the other. I can tell this really bothers you. And it seems to bother your dd at least a little. Most teachers would have certain time period that they would work on their Spanish or cultural studies or social studies or whatever this falls under! Can you go to the school and sit with her in the library during that time? Many children will sit out Halloween crafts etc. in public schools - when I taught there were usually at least one or two in a class who did not participate. I don't see this as being much different. It also sounds like you are going to run into more and more of these kind of issues that just don't sit well with you. You might add that into your pro homeschooling column since you said that you are thinking of bringing your dc home.

Yes, I know you asked us what we thought about the study itself - whether it is cultural or religious. But I'm purposefully answering what seems to be your heart question.