Menu

Can a child catch chicken pox from exposure to shingles?

It would need to be direct contact with the open sores...

My oldest dd caught chicken pox from DH when he had shingles... she had her own personal outbreak...

Make sure your children are healthy before you go and do this... if any have ever had asthma or especially RAD (Reactive Airway Disease) please do not expose them--this is the group with the most major complications. While most children do fine with CP there are still many who have complications.

Jann

Yes, but I think there has to be direct contact with the shingles in order for the germ to spread. My son had a mild case of shingles (despite never having chicken pox, despite having been vaccinated--but that's another story) a few years ago, and they said he could go to school as long as the spots were covered.

Why would you want to intentionally expose your children to chicken pox? I don't mean to sound judgemental, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to make their children ill -- and especially right now, when there's also a potential for contracting the flu at the same time.

Again, sorry to sound harsh; it just doesn't make sense to me.

Cat

I chose to intentionally expose them bcause I want them to have life long immunity, we don't immunize for cp [r anthing else anymore], and becaus the risks of secondary infections/complications is lower while they are very young.

Edited by swellmomma
excuse the typos I am using the on screen keybard

Yes, but I think there has to be direct contact with the shingles in order for the germ to spread. My son had a mild case of shingles (despite never having chicken pox, despite having been vaccinated--but that's another story) a few years ago, and they said he could go to school as long as the spots were covered.

I just wanted to point out that it is a common misconception that vaccinations are 100% effective from getting something. They also help prevent complications and bad cases of the disease should you happen to get it anyway. A mild case of shingles might be annoying if you've already be vaccinated but it's far better than a serious case of shingles (or CP) which can land someone in the hospital or worse (as it did with both my father and myself).

Heather

What Brandy said. My oldest is 11 and I'd rather him not deal with chicken pox any older than he is now. If I could provide a controlled environment, at a time when I know him to be very healthy otherwise, and prevent him dealing with it as an adult when it is much more serious, then I want to take the opportunity when it presents itself. But I've been looking for 6 years for a chicken pox opportunity and haven't found one yet.

Hey There,

About shingles....I have a cousin who recognized the symptoms that her husband was coming down with shingles.(she kinda reads a lot of medical books) Anyhow, she had him go to the DR the same day, get a course of the virus meds...and ...it took care of the shingles...before they went full bloom! Just a thought.

Also, if you let your children get the chicken pox(or they just "catch" them) you can get the vaccine meds and they REALLY help. My son had a very bad case and they just weren't clearing up....meds taken...and POOF, they were gone.... Also, all sores/scabs...I did a mixture of many oils...and kept him oiled up. He has only a couple of little scars....(Jojoba, Lemon Grass EO, Lavendar EO, olive oil...Straight Neem oil....etc..)

Carrie:-)

My younger children had chickenpox last March just after my eldest son came down with shingles. (About two weeks later)

And I guarantee that none of them touched the open sores on his head.

Dd #1 and ds #2, who had both been vaccinated, came down with a couple of pox/pocks each too. Ds #1 (shingles) and ds #3 (chickenpox with severe eczema) had the anti-viral medications, and they helped quite a bit. The two littles just suffered through it.

Ds #1 had chickenpox at 6 months old. (covered from head to toe, poor kid) We don't know what caused the outbreak of shingles.

I just wanted to point out that it is a common misconception that vaccinations are 100% effective from getting something. They also help prevent complications and bad cases of the disease should you happen to get it anyway. A mild case of shingles might be annoying if you've already be vaccinated but it's far better than a serious case of shingles (or CP) which can land someone in the hospital or worse (as it did with both my father and myself).

Heather

As I understand it, shingles in children are generally not painful. This mild case doesn't prevent a more serious case later of course, since the virus stays in his system. I'm curious about the studies and stats done on the varicella vaccine and shingles, so I could find out if his case really was an exception or if they haven't studied it extensively. I know that one of the arguments I've read for the varicella vaccine is to prevent shingles later in life.

I...uh....I think I've read the whole thread. But I've missed the ranting?

I'm very thankful for God's gifts and the wisdom of doctors. To consider the possibility that doctors can be wrong isn't ranting, imho. The last I'd heard, rates of childhood shingles have skyrocketed since the cp vaccine and they are now trying a childhood shingles vaccine because of it.

On a side-note, my MIL shared a recipe for a shingles remedy if anyone needs it:

1 tsp sweet almond oil

5 drops lemon oil

5 drops eucalyptus oil

shake together and apply to affected area. Should clear it up within 3-5 days. For future outbreaks, apply at the first sign of itching or 'running under the skin' sensation to prevent it ever flaring.

Wow, looking for 6 years for CP! Come on down here to cent. Tx. We have to hide a couple of time a year because of CP (cancer kiddo in the house who CANNOT GET CP).

I was not aware that one could get CP from someone with shingles, *sigh* another thing to worry about. Thanks for the info. so I can be more vigilent.

My younger children had chickenpox last March just after my eldest son came down with shingles. (About two weeks later)

You don't have to touch the open sores, you just have to touch something that has been in contact with the sores. Even something that has been in contact with something that has been in contact... you get the picture.

I hate to say it but I gave my wife chicken-pox several years ago when I got shingles.

Fortunately her "adult-case" was very mild (against our expectations) but YIKES was shingles excruciating for me!!!

I think I have a pretty high tolerance to pain (for a man :tongue_smilie:) but I was in absolute agony. No fun!

The kiddo is vaxed and I hope that is the right course.

Bill

I wonder.....did the shingles come from the vaccine?

This is why there are vaccines out there. Let's be grateful to God for the knowledge of illness prevention and use his good gift.

If you don't agree, that's fine, just spare me the ranting.

Ummm, who's ranting?

And maybe your God made the pox for a reason.

I do know that some childhood illnesses prevent other illness.

I believe it is the measles that is linked with decreased ovarian cancer rates.

Sooooo, if you ask me (and you didn't) I would say that I will run my risk with childhood disease over cancer any day, to say nothing of the risk involved in artificial vaccines that don't even guarantee immunity because that is a thread of it's own which I just can't do today because then I would really be on here typing way longer than I need to be.

Dd #1 and ds #2, who had both been vaccinated, came down with a couple of pox/pocks each too. Ds #1 (shingles) and ds #3 (chickenpox with severe eczema) had the anti-viral medications, and they helped quite a bit. The two littles just suffered through it.

Ds #1 had chickenpox at 6 months old. (covered from head to toe, poor kid) We don't know what caused the outbreak of shingles.

The eldest son - was he vacc'd for CPox?

The last I'd heard, rates of childhood shingles have skyrocketed since the cp vaccine and they are now trying a childhood shingles vaccine because of it.

AHA!!!!

I have been saying this for years!

As soon as the vaccine came out I said the rate of shingles would go up.

Well, technically, it's not supposed to. Children are not given a live form of the virus in the vaccination. Technically, it is not supposed to be able to travel and settle in a nerve for later shingles eruption the way live chicken pox would. But then, how to explain her dc getting it? I dunno

He didn't get it right away, if that's what you're asking. He got shingles about 1 1/2 years after the vaccination. I delayed it with him because I wanted to give him a chance to get the real thing, but his older sister was vaxed before I thought too much about it, and his younger sister had eczema when she was a baby, which can cause cp complications, so she was vaxed. I decided to get him vaxed too to help protect the younger sister.

He must have gotten the shingles from the vaccine, because the kids never got chicken pox, and I don't think they've even been around anyone with chicken pox.

Here's what I just found from the CDC website:

How often does zoster (shingles) occur following varicella vaccination?

Varicella vaccine is a live virus vaccine, and may result in a latent infection, similar to that caused by wild varicella virus. Consequently, zoster in vaccinated persons has been reported. Not all of these cases have been confirmed as having been caused by vaccine virus. The risk of zoster following vaccination appears to be less than that following infection with wild-type virus. However, longer follow-up is needed to assess this risk over time.

Children are not given a live form of the virus in the vaccination. Technically, it is not supposed to be able to travel and settle in a nerve for later shingles eruption the way live chicken pox would.

Umm... the chicken pox vaccine definitely is made with a live virus, and you can get shingles from it (though they claim it's a milder form than you'd get otherwise).

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/chickenpox/a/chickenvacc.htm

and from this site: http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-chicken-pox-vaccine_1725.bc?page=2

Is the chicken pox vaccine a live vaccine?

Varicella is a live-attenuated vaccine, which means it's a live virus that's been weakened so that it won't cause the disease. Instead, the virus will replicate in the cells of the body and cause it to produce an immune response, which should protect against a real chicken pox infection.

and...

4) The vaccine can help protect your child against a related disease called shingles. About 10 percent of adults who have chicken pox earlier in life get this rash of extremely painful and disfiguring blisters that can be inches across.

Shingles appears when the chicken pox virus, which lives forever in the central nervous system, "reawakens" and becomes active again. People who have been vaccinated against chicken pox may still get shingles but will have a much less severe case than those who had the disease itself.

B] People who have been vaccinated against chicken pox may still get shingles but will have a much less severe case than those who had the disease itself.[/b]

But how many kids have the real CP and get shingles?

And how many kids get the vacc and get shingles?

And are all these kids with mild shingles from the vacc going to have more issues in their later years? And are all these vacc caused shingles causing other problems such as exposing pregnant womyn, immuno-compromised kids?

I have exposed my dd SO many times. Both on purpose and accident. Before symptoms, during symptoms, she has rubbed against open sores..... And still no full blown pox. Now - there may have been one or two pox, but I don't really know. Maybe she is immune.

The last I'd heard, rates of childhood shingles have skyrocketed since the cp vaccine and they are now trying a childhood shingles vaccine because of it.

Do you remember where you heard this? All the studies I've read say the opposite- that shingles is more common in kids who acquire CP naturally.

I'd be interested in reading other about it. I googled and can't find anything.

Do you remember where you heard this? All the studies I've read say the opposite- that shingles is more common in kids who acquire CP naturally.

I'd be interested in reading other about it. I googled and can't find anything.

Well, I'm embarrassed to say it, but I was passing on what I'd heard from others. I've researched this morning and it turns out there IS a huge boon in shingles cases....but the boon is in adult shingles cases. It is an interesting read. Apparently, we all get the equivalent of a booster shot when we are in contact with children infected with chicken pox. Because adults are no longer around kids with chicken pox, they aren't getting the booster for their natural immunity and end up developing shingles, which is much more dangerous than chicken pox.

Here are 3, but they all say pretty much the same thing:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1221638180451?p=1204186170287

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1158655/Why-giving-children-chicken-pox-jab-YOU-shingles.html

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=12896

"Goldman’s research supports that shingles, which results in three times as many deaths and five times the number of hospitalizations as chicken pox, is suppressed naturally by occasional contact with chicken pox.

Dr. Goldman’s findings have corroborated other independent researchers findings that since death rates from chickenpox are already very low, any deaths prevented by vaccination will be offset by deaths from increasing shingles disease."

I'm embarrassed to participate in sharing something I hadn't researched personally but grateful to be called on it so the we can get down to facts.

That is interesting Jenn - thanks for tracking it down.

I have 2 kids vax'd for CP (but no boosters, and the oldest had them at 7 months), and my youngest isn't. Having an uncle about disabled from Shingles, i'd much rather have my kid get the CP and help an elderly person (you know, like ME :P) that have anyone go thru what he has the last few years (it's in his eye, and he is still in pain daily from it).

Guest Kris in PA

My husband and I, and our 4 children are living with my Mother and Grandmother as we wait for our new home to be built. March 1st of this year, my Grandmother came down with shingles. My 13 yr son was due for his chicken pox booster, we just hadn't gotten it done. It never occurred to me (or my Mom - she's an RN), that he would be susceptible. March 11th he began breaking out and ended up with a pretty bad case. My 6 yr son also developed a very mild case, only a few spots...but he's been more recently vaccinated. I know my 13 yr old did sit in her rocking chair a couple of times, but he's not physically close with her, like hugging, and I know she was especially careful not to hug anyone because of the location of her rash and the amount of pain she was in.

One pediatrician confirmed my suspicions about the shingles link...another was doubtful...but, we homeschool and are not in any other activities right now...so it seems pretty likely to me.

Drats.

The infected area is Grandpa's groin. Um, no thanks.

Also, my 5 yo was diagnosed with RAD several years ago. She seems to have outgrown it, but I'd rather not mess with it.

I'm sorry but this caused me to laugh right out loud. Um, no I guess we don;t want this kind of exposure.

What Brandy said. My oldest is 11 and I'd rather him not deal with chicken pox any older than he is now. If I could provide a controlled environment, at a time when I know him to be very healthy otherwise, and prevent him dealing with it as an adult when it is much more serious, then I want to take the opportunity when it presents itself. But I've been looking for 6 years for a chicken pox opportunity and haven't found one yet.

My 9 yr. old hasn't had cp yet and I am starting to stress about it a little. We don't vax and I really would like her to get cp before puberty. I had my second bout of cp at age 30 and let me tell you it ain't fun. I am hoping that maybe it offered me a little extra protection against shingles though because my brother had those and he said it was the worse pain he ever had and he was in the hospital for six months with a collapsed lung after major surgery before so he knows pain.