Menu

Why do commercials always seem to make 'men' seem like the dumbest people...

that most women who say they are feminists believe something pretty close to the definition you read. I'm not sure why you want us to have a "personal definition." I thought the dictionary stated it pretty well.

Actually, I am not sure that this is the case. I mean, the dictionary definition of feminist is great. I know few people, of *either* sex, who wouldn't agree with that. But I know relatively few people who label themselves feminists.

I think part of the reason for that is that, dictionaries aside, the image of feminism is the liberal NOW feminist. Now I am a liberal, so I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But it does leave a lot of more conservative women feeling left out, because they don't see (I really hesitate to bring up this topic, but don't know how to explain this without it) abortion as a woman's right. I'm actually a pro-life liberal, so it leaves ME feeling left out. But there isn't "room" for pro-life feminists in the feminist movement, because the feminist movement defines abortion as being central and foundational and necessary for women's equality.

Also, I believe there is an anti-s*x sentiment among most feminists. I'm not saying all feminists feel this way, but the majority that I have met (and I was a member of NOW years ago, and active in my University's Women's Student Assocation) and the majority of the people who are active in the movement seem to feel that s*xualized images of women are a method of oppression, and that strippers are victims, things like that. I don't see it that way at all. In fact, I feel that women's equality is very much dependent on s*xual freedoms. Those societies that are the most s*xually repressive are also the most misogynistic, and I don't think that's coincidence. Because historically "s*x is bad" gets translated (by men of course) into "women are bad". If s*x is something dirty and shameful, and if women represent s*x, if they are temptation personified, then women must be dirty and shameful, right?

So the modern feminist movement in the US believes in two principles which I do not. So I don't call myself a feminist, even though I agree with the *dictionary* definition, because the real-world definition, the beliefs and viewpoints of the people who use that label, is something quite different.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of the reason for that is that, dictionaries aside, the image of feminism is the liberal NOW feminist. Now I am a liberal, so I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But it does leave a lot of more conservative women feeling left out, because they don't see (I really hesitate to bring up this topic, but don't know how to explain this without it) abortion as a woman's right. I'm actually a pro-life liberal, so it leaves ME feeling left out. But there isn't "room" for pro-life feminists in the feminist movement, because the feminist movement defines abortion as being central and foundational and necessary for women's equality.

Actually, I'm a pro-life feminist. As I said before, there is no official headquarters for feminism issuing policy statements. As far as I know, there's no statement of faith and no membership card required.

But I certainly feel like there's room in the group for me.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Actually, I'm a pro-life feminist. Since, as I said before, there is no official headquarters for feminism issuing policy statements. As far as I know, there's no statement of faith and no membership card required.

Me, too. I'm pro-life and a feminist. I do understand GretaLynne's point, though. I never called myself a feminist until later in life. I think it was more of a way to identify, or to separate, myself from people who hold very rigid, legalistic views about a woman's role.

Janet

For the record, I am an anti-abortion feminist and a Christian who believes that God's plan for s@xualilty in a loving marriage is the one likely to lead to happiness for all parties involved. I call myself a feminist because I do believe in the legal and economic equality of all women. I don't think men ought to have the right to kill unborn babies either:) Being a feminist has nothing to do with "NOW's" platform, some of which I do not support.

I think it's important to remember that while American women have achieved much of the political, legal, and economic equality that they fought for, there are women and girls all over the world who are struggling for the basic rights to vote, to support their families, to have access to medical care and to education, to live without fear of rape, etc. I refuse to engage in debates about whether women who where lipstick are pandering to men or asserting their freedom. I don't care if you wear lipstick or dress sexy or want to be a stripper. These things seem pretty trivial to me, and in my mind are a way to distract us from the issues that are still important to millions of women all over the world.

That's great! I am a member of Feminists For Life, so obviously there is diversity within the feminist movement, and I'm not trying to deny that. I'm only saying that it's understandable that people have a certain image of feminism, because there is one type of feminism that seems to be the most widespread, and/or the most attention-getting. I agree there is no official headquarters, but the biggest feminist organizations, like NOW and The Feminist Majority, are absolutely pro-choice, and many feminists do consider abortion central to feminism, and would consider women like you and me not to be feminists at all.

I think it's important to remember that while American women have achieved much of the political, legal, and economic equality that they fought for, there are women and girls all over the world who are struggling for the basic rights to vote, to support their families, to have access to medical care and to education, to live without fear of rape, etc. I refuse to engage in debates about whether women who where lipstick are pandering to men or asserting their freedom. I don't care if you wear lipstick or dress sexy or want to be a stripper. These things seem pretty trivial to me, and in my mind are a way to distract us from the issues that are still important to millions of women all over the world.

Wow, that was very well said, and a wonderful point!

I think most of these commercials cater to Feminists. It seems to me that most of these commercials do exactly the same thing to men that was done to women years ago.

Feminisim started out to be a very good thing but has turned ugly. Mean. Spiteful. Demeaning.

It is a classic example of repressing one group to make another stronger.

Our society takes advantage of men. We do not honor or respect them enough.

This, ultimately, harms families.

Just my .02

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Um. okay. Well, I suggested that there are a lot of feminists that were anti-stay-at-home Not "all of them" I think you have taken what I have said personally. I also said that I do not lump them all together and it is the movement that I have a problem with. There are also a lot of anti-feminist that spoke up. So again, what is your point???

I never said that feminists never stay home and home school their kids.

While I am at it, I would really LOVE to know what your (and others) definiton of feminism is?

I think that sometimes we lump ourselves into a group w/o fully thinking about why we associate ourselves with a particular group.

I am thankful for suffragettes. I am thankful to women that have stood up for what is right and good and moral. I am thankful that I have the right to vote and think and work and stay home with my children.

I can not stand feminists. I can not stand women who put men down. I can not stand women who put on manly traits and compete with men. I can not stand women who are cold, bitter and selfish. To me, that is what the feminist movement has become.

I think there is a distinct difference between a "feminist" and a woman who thinks for herself and has the ability to make intelligent choices.

But, again, just thoughts from my piddley little head. Take it as you may.

Can you hear me shouting from the east coast? :D I could not agree more.

Feminism like Christianity????

Oh, that is not even worth a reply beyond that you are obviously sorely misguided in one if not both concepts.

I actually see her point. Christianity is a very divided belief system with many views of what is right and wrong. It also attracts a lot of controversy.

Interestingly, I think God and Christ did lots for women. Yes, there is a hierarchy with men on top, but someone has to organize and define roles at some point. The societal roles of the Bible is really not much different from other cultures in the world at those times. However, there were women as judges (Deborah), Esther was a powerful queen, Mary was the mother of Christ, Lydia was a business woman, The woman of Proverbs 31 ran a home and a business... Jesus actually spoke to women and included them in conversations - even those that were trash and terrible by the standards of the day. He made men just as responsible for their actions. Most treated them as property.

I actually see her point. Christianity is a very divided belief system with many views of what is right and wrong. It also attracts a lot of controversy.

Interestingly, I think God and Christ did lots for women. Yes, there is a hierarchy with men on top, but someone has to organize and define roles at some point. The societal roles of the Bible is really not much different from other cultures in the world at those times. However, there were women as judges (Deborah), Esther was a powerful queen, Mary was the mother of Christ, Lydia was a business woman, The woman of Proverbs 31 ran a home and a business... Jesus actually spoke to women and included them in conversations - even those that were trash and terrible by the standards of the day. He made men just as responsible for their actions. Most treated them as property.

The biggest difference I see in comparing Christianity to feminism is that Christianity is based on the teachings of one Person: Christ (or at least, is supposed to be). Feminism seems to be solely based on one's individual interpretation of the term, with no foundational teaching.

The rest, I agree with you on. While I would cringe at the idea of calling Jesus a feminist, he was radical in his day by treating women with the same value and respect as men. In Christ, there is no "male or female"; we're all children of God. People who use the defined roles of men (roles defined in the Bible) to suppress women don't have a true vision and understanding of what the Bible says about those roles and their importance. It's a triangle: God at the top, men and women equally at the bottom.

I am thankful for suffragettes. I am thankful to women that have stood up for what is right and good and moral. I am thankful that I have the right to vote and think and work and stay home with my children.

I can not stand feminists. I can not stand women who put men down. I can not stand women who put on manly traits and compete with men. I can not stand women who are cold, bitter and selfish. To me, that is what the feminist movement has become.

I think there is a distinct difference between a "feminist" and a woman who thinks for herself and has the ability to make intelligent choices.

But, again, just thoughts from my piddley little head. Take it as you may.

We've often stood on opposite sides of issues, but I really do respect you. And I'm very sorry that you can't stand feminists. Because in saying this, truly you are saying that you can't stand me.

And that might be true, and that's ok. I don't need for everyone to "stand" me.

But golly. I might not like the extremes that a particular branch of, say, vegetarians have taken in defending animal rights. But I would not say I can't stand vegetarians. Or I might not like the shrill attitudes of my political party, but I would not go so far as to say I can't stand [insert people who affiliate with my political party here]. (Ok, that last was rather silly, as I'm officially an Independent and vote the person not the party, but still. The point is the thing.)

Do you really just so dislike the feminists you know? Do *they* know you can't stand them? Or is more a "hate the sin, love the sinner" thing?

You might like my girls -- my girly one and my not-much-makeup-but-modest-with-long-hair-who-wears-dresses-at-least-half-the-time-one. You might approve of how I've reared/am rearing them -- to be respectful of all people, to be modest in dress and speech, to be kindhearted, to have a gentle spirit, to be emotionally tough, to be wise and harmless, to listen to each side, to stand up for themselves and the weaker "brother," not to play games with men. I hope with all my heart that they will self-identify as feminist. Not in a confrontational sense, certainly, unless that is called for to preserve civil liberty, but in a sense of assurance that they will not be victimized or exploited or discriminated against.

I'm sorry that you and perhaps others can't stand me and them just because of how we choose to view ourselves and name ourselves in the wide world. If you got to know us, you might like us and even grow to appreciate what we believe, even if you don't believe it yourself.

When I left (long story) Christianity, I was wary of being like people I knew who left religion and then just grew bitter and hateful about it. They would turn on Christians and religious folks as deluded and stupid and preyed upon. But people are people. And we all walk in the light we're given, and we all have struggles and we all love our kids the best we know how and we all take our trash out to the curb on Tuesday like regular folks.

I'm sorry. I'm rambling now, but this makes me sad. If there's anything more I can do or say to make you change your mind about people like me, I'd love to try. We're not evil, mostly. I'm just a simple wife trying daily to mutually submit to my husband because I feel it's the wise course of action in life and relationships, and to do my best at my job and in the rearing of my kids. And I'm a feminist, and I'm not a bit ashamed of that.

:confused:

Here's some food for thought with the discussion:

My husband and I agreed to switch roles about a year ago. He was in a job he loathed, and it was making him physically ill. I missed my career in health care. So, we swapped. He came home, either to start his own business, or find a job that worked with my hours, and I went to work as a nursing attendant/CHCA on the 3-11pm shift so that I could continue to homeschool without concern.

It blew my mind the number of ppl that had negative commentary. About my husband's ability to 'manage' 3 children at home, about how it was a 'man's' responsibility to bring home the pay, etc, etc, etc. Meanwhile, I thought feminism was about EQUAL rights?! That my dh was to be viewed as equal and capable of PARENTING our children as I, and I as capable of earning and supporting a family as he?

And while I'm on the topic, nothing makes me more insane than women that cast down their husband's parenting capabilities. "I don't know if he can handle the kids..." "He doesn't know how to make her formula..." "Oh Honey, that's not the right sleeper..." "Oh, Daddy's babysitting tonight..." He's not babysitting, he's PARENTING.

Sorry, that last one makes me completely twitchy. I don't babysit my kids, I parent them...so why would it be any more different when they're with my dh?!

Here's some food for thought with the discussion:

My husband and I agreed to switch roles about a year ago. He was in a job he loathed, and it was making him physically ill. I missed my career in health care. So, we swapped. He came home, either to start his own business, or find a job that worked with my hours, and I went to work as a nursing attendant/CHCA on the 3-11pm shift so that I could continue to homeschool without concern.

It blew my mind the number of ppl that had negative commentary. About my husband's ability to 'manage' 3 children at home, about how it was a 'man's' responsibility to bring home the pay, etc, etc, etc. Meanwhile, I thought feminism was about EQUAL rights?! That my dh was to be viewed as equal and capable of PARENTING our children as I, and I as capable of earning and supporting a family as he?

And while I'm on the topic, nothing makes me more insane than women that cast down their husband's parenting capabilities. "I don't know if he can handle the kids..." "He doesn't know how to make her formula..." "Oh Honey, that's not the right sleeper..." "Oh, Daddy's babysitting tonight..." He's not babysitting, he's PARENTING.

Sorry, that last one makes me completely twitchy. I don't babysit my kids, I parent them...so why would it be any more different when they're with my dh?!

:iagree: Amen!

Janet

Great discussion! This is a little bit off topic from the way the thread has morphed, but my husband's current TV pet peeve is the inordinant number of women in law-enforcement positions, such as on the new breed of cop shows...

He is involved in the great law and order/legal arena, and women just AREN'T there. Kind of interesting...who and why are they being put on these shows? They are usually gorgeous...men like gorgeous...again, it's just marketing.

My current TV pet peeve ad is one for Kohler -- "schlubby" husband sees uber s*xy female plumber go to the next door neighbor's home, so he runs upstairs and starts shoving everything down the t*ilet. Of course being a Kohler, nothing blocks it up so he gets more and more desperate: towels, cat litter, potted plants.... (I'm doing the ***s because my over-sensitive internet blocking software will give me fits if I don't). Wife "catches" him and has a puzzled look on her face....

I hate the topic of feminism, and yet I read this whole thread. :001_huh:

Personally, I don't see gender as anything but a biological fact. Despite my being a sahm/homeschooler and dh being the breadwinner, neither one of us fits many gender stereotypes. And when we do something that does fit a stereotype, we usually poke fun at each other.

When dh spends 20 minutes on his hair, he's being "such a girl". When he gets all macho and overprotective, he's being "such a guy". Same thing when I find a pair of shoes I love or snake a toilet :D. We don't think about roles until we're in the middle of doing something that really fits a stereotype.

And that's probably why we love such stupid sitcoms, lol.

This feminist snakes the toilet in our house-hold :D

:lol:

We do what we have to do!

Meanwhile, I'm ignoring the litter box. Dh can handle that later.

I just hate the idea of making decisions based on gender. Whatever isn't already decided by gender (childbirth, breastfeeding, urinating standing up...) is up for grabs, imo!

That's not to say I don't pass judgment on topics that have been mentioned in this thread. I do, in my head. But they don't have anything to do with gender.

What is feminism? I don't have an articulate, well-written answer to the question, but I know what it isn't.

My grandmother was divorced from my grandfather in the late 50's (the good 'ol days, right?) and left with three children under her care. The only jobs available to her were secretarial jobs- which she gladly took. Her stories of sexual harassment make me want to scream and hit things. Since she was divorced, she was obviously a "loose woman" and had boss after boss hounding her, touching her, making advances at her. She wasn't allowed to join the PTA because she was not married, and the other women felt she couldn't uphold the moral code of the association. She pressed the issue (my grandma was an original feminist, woohoo) and they finally gave in. Only to completely ignore her at every meeting and not allow her to come to the mixed groups- she was divorced so she would most likely be all over everyone else's man.

It wasn't so long ago that a husband could r*pe his wife without penalty. Or domestic violence was handled by having the husband take a walk and cool down.

Everytime I think that woman are almost there, almost treated with the same respect as men, something comes up that renews my fire for equality. Feminism. Most of it in countries where women don't have a voice, but recently in the US. When Hilary Clinton was a presidential candidate, the comments about women in power- juvenile musings about leadership when "on the rag", etc... enraged me. We are not equal, yet. There is still a fight. And it has nothing to do with dressing like a man, or not shaving armpits, it has to do with the basic right of being respected regardless of gender, or in spite of gender as it seems.

And now I need to take one of these :chillpill: and get back to schooling.;)

We've often stood on opposite sides of issues, but I really do respect you. And I'm very sorry that you can't stand feminists. Because in saying this, truly you are saying that you can't stand me.

But golly. I might not like the extremes that a particular branch of, say, vegetarians have taken in defending animal rights. But I would not say I can't stand vegetarians. Or I might not like the shrill attitudes of my political party, but I would not go so far as to say I can't stand [insert people who affiliate with my political party here]. (Ok, that last was rather silly, as I'm officially an Independent and vote the person not the party, but still. The point is the thing.)

Do you really just so dislike the feminists you know? Do *they* know you can't stand them? Or is more a "hate the sin, love the sinner" thing?

You might like my girls -- my girly one and my not-much-makeup-but-modest-with-long-hair-who-wears-dresses-at-least-half-the-time-one. You might approve of how I've reared/am rearing them -- to be respectful of all people, to be modest in dress and speech, to be kindhearted, to have a gentle spirit, to be emotionally tough, to be wise and harmless, to listen to each side, to stand up for themselves and the weaker "brother," not to play games with men. I hope with all my heart that they will self-identify as feminist. Not in a confrontational sense, certainly, unless that is called for to preserve civil liberty, but in a sense of assurance that they will not be victimized or exploited or discriminated against.

I'm sorry that you and perhaps others can't stand me and them just because of how we choose to view ourselves and name ourselves in the wide world. If you got to know us, you might like us and even grow to appreciate what we believe, even if you don't believe it yourself.

When I left (long story) Christianity, I was wary of being like people I knew who left religion and then just grew bitter and hateful about it. They would turn on Christians and religious folks as deluded and stupid and preyed upon. But people are people. And we all walk in the light we're given, and we all have struggles and we all love our kids the best we know how and we all take our trash out to the curb on Tuesday like regular folks.

I'm sorry. I'm rambling now, but this makes me sad. If there's anything more I can do or say to make you change your mind about people like me, I'd love to try. We're not evil, mostly. I'm just a simple wife trying daily to mutually submit to my husband because I feel it's the wise course of action in life and relationships, and to do my best at my job and in the rearing of my kids. And I'm a feminist, and I'm not a bit ashamed of that.

Pam, that was a wonderful and thoughtful post. Thank you. I can identify with much of what you said, and yet....

I think that the term feminist has such a history of destruction, that it often causes an emotional response in some. My mother was a product of the feminist-revolution in the 70s. It cost our family my mother, our home, and yes, our security as children. I still shudder, remembering the deep pain my father went through as my mother set off to .. find herself..

Yes, much of feminism was a reaction to deep injustices. But the ANGER. It was if so many women got caught up in a movement that perhaps had some elements of truth for them, but also maybe, gave them a heady feeling of power as they relished in their victimhood, and their shared sense of entitlement (to hell with the families and children that their newfound freedoms left behind).

Despite that, for most of my adult life I would consider myself a prolife feminist, relating to most of your post. But I just thought that I might bring attention to why some women and men react with SUCH distrust and frustration toward the movement as a whole. (Hopefully, not the individuals that use the term feminist!)

Kim

Pam, that was a wonderful and thoughtful post. Thank you. I can identify with much of what you said, and yet....

I think that the term feminist has such a history of destruction, that it often causes an emotional response in some. My mother was a product of the feminist-revolution in the 70s. It cost our family my mother, our home, and yes, our security as children. I still shudder, remembering the deep pain my father went through as my mother set off to .. find herself..

Yes, much of feminism was a reaction to deep injustices. But the ANGER. It was if so many women got caught up in a movement that perhaps had some elements of truth for them, but also maybe, gave them a heady feeling of power as they relished in their victimhood, and their shared sense of entitlement (to hell with the families and children that their newfound freedoms left behind).

Despite that, for most of my adult life I would consider myself a prolife feminist, relating to most of your post. But I just thought that I might bring attention to why some women and men react with SUCH distrust and frustration toward the movement as a whole. (Hopefully, not the individuals that use the term feminist!)

Kim

Kim, I'm very sorry for your hurt.

And even though this will be somewhat personal-sounding, perhaps, I think sometimes people use creeds and movements -- anything that inspires passion and zeal -- as an excuse of sorts to do all sorts of things. In this case, feminism was the cause.

Some in the 70's used the revolution to make their lives better, not worse. Some used it to empower their daughters to strive for more education or to escape a cycle of abuse. Some used it to excuse to hurt their families and indulge themselves. And again I'm sorry that end of it hurt you and your family so much.

Pam, will you marry me? :-) I just love you. Although, I would put myself far away from the "feminist" camp, I think we are so very close to the way we raise our girls. In my life I would have to say that this has been a non-issue. My parents didn't treat me differently, my teachers never expected less of me, my husband respects me and we work together to do all aspects of running a home/raising kids/earning money. I have never been denied anything because I am a woman. I love men. I obviously love women because I proposed to Pam. To me, it is about love and respect of people in general and to answer the original question, Yes! It bothers me how men are portrayed in the media.

Oh, Pam, this was just lovely. Thank for you (as usual) for such an intelligent and gentle post.

I've wondered this very thing for years and am glad to hear another woman speak out about it. I get tired of the way the commericals insult the amazing men in our lives! If I was a man, I'd get tired of it. Maybe that's why so many guys have a fast finger on the remote!! LOL!

And on a related note, how about those crazy gadget infomercials that make people look clumsy and stupid as they try to accomplish something without the specified gadget? They make people of both sexes look like complete idiots.

:lol:

I am all for pulling the plug on tv anymore!

Blessings,

Lucinda