Menu

I just don't understand why people give low star ratings

This is actually something that really bugs me...and maybe this post will get a 1 star. But why when people are truly seeking advice, why would someone give that post a negative rating? Do you not like the people or the topic? I find myself moving past the posts if I am not interested- but can't understand the need to be negative!

No offense intended!

This is actually something that really bugs me...and maybe this post will get a 1 star. But why when people are truly seeking advice, why would someone give that post a negative rating? Do you not like the people or the topic? I find myself moving past the posts if I am not interested- but can't understand the need to be negative!

No offense intended!

None received. :D

I just ignore it. Unfortunately, people sometimes use the star system to low-rate topics they disagree with, whether it's a fruitful, productive discussion or not.

:thumbdown: :sneaky2: :mad: :angry: :ack2: :rolleyes:

Ohhh..... and sometimes they use it to vent against certain people who tick them off. You know, "You made me mad, so I'm one-starring all your threads."

Edited by Blessedfamily

I can understand on some of the threads....but not on someone asking for advice. I don't pay much attention to those stars.....I don't really care for them.....even though I really wanted to give this thread ONE star.....LOLOLOL.....JUST KIDDING....

No offense intended!

Honestly, I don't understand stars either. I look at titles of threads and then decide if I want to read it. I start to read it. If it isn't something I am interested in, I stop reading it. Just b/c I don't want to read about canning processes or whatever doesn't make it a bad thread, just something I'm not interested in. Does that make sense?

I think that people use the stars as a substitute for the old rep. system. Since there is no way to voice dissatisfaction with an individual user, folks tend to " negative rep" the entire thread with the stars.

-Robin

You can't say negative rep!;)

As do I. I don't tend to notice the stars unless someone mentions them, or when someone gives every thread a five star rating (as is the case today, apparently).

Stars? Stars? Oh, yeah, stars. I don't see them either. I notice the trashcans, because on my computer they look like the icon printed on the c*ndom box at work. :)

I feel really out of the loop. This is the first forum I have ever been on that had any sort of rating system for the threads. Is that common out there in cyber world?

Due to my lack of cyber smarts, I never noticed the old rep system until people started posting about it, and then never did actually understand what it was all about. Same with the stars, just noticed them today and only because of this thread.

Is it me or does it seem a little Jr. High School to comment on the quality of someone else's thread? I read what interests me and skip the rest. What purpose is the rating system supposed to serve?

I feel really out of the loop. This is the first forum I have ever been on that had any sort of rating system for the threads. Is that common out there in cyber world?

Due to my lack of cyber smarts, I never noticed the old rep system until people started posting about it, and then never did actually understand what it was all about. Same with the stars, just noticed them today and only because of this thread.

Is it me or does it seem a little Jr. High School to comment on the quality of someone else's thread? I read what interests me and skip the rest. What purpose is the rating system supposed to serve?

Well, let's say if I were looking for book rec's to go with my study on Ancient Hittites, and someone gave me a great list. I might star rate that if it was particularly informative and time-saving.

I sometimes give a thread a starred rating because I am just so tickled by it (like the Great Crock Pot free-for-all :D) but I honestly can't understand taking the time to negative-star something because I don't like the topic or the conduct of the posters. That seems... I don't know. A bizarre use of time?

It took me a while to figure out it wasn't an automatic calculation, like the software identifying a hot topic. Duh.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Well, let's say if I were looking for book rec's to go with my study on Ancient Hittites, and someone gave me a great list. I might star rate that if it was particularly informative and time-saving.

Maybe we should start a tag system for good resources? I know we already have Lori D words of wisdom, but what about the Lori-like but not Lori posts?

Perhaps we should lobby for some sort of Lori D uber-post where she puts up absolutely everything she had, and then we can just dig through it, like after a tornado has hit your house. :001_smile:

It looks to me like they happen for two reasons: 1) It appears they happen when someone disagrees. I've seen this in controversial threads when everyone who is posting is being respectful but apparently someone doesn't like the topic or 2) it happens when a bunch of people in the thread are being obnoxious and serves as a warning sign.

I've never noticed low rated threads that weren't one of the two above, but I may have missed some.

It looks to me like they happen for two reasons: 1) It appears they happen when someone disagrees. I've seen this in controversial threads when everyone who is posting is being respectful but apparently someone doesn't like the topic or 2) it happens when a bunch of people in the thread are being obnoxious and serves as a warning sign.

I've never noticed low rated threads that weren't one of the two above, but I may have missed some.

:iagree: I haven't seen low stars on something personal (like "can you help me with my goats,...?" type threads). I think some people give low stars when they strongly disagree and some as a warning.

I have given a low star once, it was a thread terribly negative on the board with lots of whining about what's allowed and what isn't and I just don't think the WTM people need that sort of grief and wanted to somehow show, that I didn't feel that way. Does that make sense or am I still a terrible poster :tongue_smilie: