Menu

The Great Gatsby...

I took a break from dystopia to read The Great Gatsby. Oddly, it was a bit more depressing than F451 & The Giver (not sure how that's possible).:)

I found this analysis that helps shed light on this tale, for me. Others might not agree w/ his perspective:

https://www.msu.edu/~millettf/gatsby.html

Anyone care to share what they liked/disliked about The Great Gatsby?

Thank you!

There are 3 books from high school that I didn't get through: The Great Gatsby, The Lord of the Flies, and Catcher in the Rye. I did finally get through Catcher in the Rye last year. Hated it. But at least I read the whole thing. I'm hoping to try The Great Gatsby again this year.

I'm looking forward to seeing what people have to say.

"the main theme or point that Fitzgerald is trying to make - that American idealism and spirituality have been corrupted by material possessions and wealth. Gatsby's dream fails because of his material wealth he must possess to accomplish it. In this respect, Gatsby fails before he even begins - showing the unforgiving nature of a land characterized by Fitzgerald as a wasteland of ashes" Millett

"The Great Gatsby" was required reading when I was in high school, but I do not require it. I really disliked the book. I wonder if it was because my own grandparents had wealth, but no happiness? All that emphasis on what is "elegant" seemed rather ugly to me. My parents "played nice" in hopes of inheriting someday and it was all so false and I hated it. Maybe it should hold a place on my "favorites list" because it invokes strong feelings? But, I don't enjoy being depressed. my $.02

Maybe it should hold a place on my "favorites list" because it invokes strong feelings? But, I don't enjoy being depressed. my $.02

:iagree:

I'm sad for Jay & Daisy & Nick & Tom, etc. What they thought was beauty was really unsatisfying.

Some things never change...

What a great discussion starter for our kids to help them better understand the myth of the greener pastures.

I am not a big fan of Gatsby, but I feel sorry for Gatsby. I think Daisy was just shallow, I wish someone turned her in for the rat she is.

My dd had to read it this past semester, she didnt like all the cheating, that rubbed her the wrong way. It turned her off to the whole book.

I love Gatsby.

I love Fitzgerald. (Well, his writing, anyway. I understand he was kind of a jerk.)

I think that book is just beautiful, and I think about it/quote it frequently.

In fact, just recently when there was some tension on these boards, I was thinking about Fitzgerald's concept of "careless" people.

I find the characters unforgettable, if not necessarily people with whom I'd want to hang out. It evokes a time and place so strongly . . .

I think it's a beautiful, sad, cautionary tale of a book.

My sil is working on her phD in teaching secondary literature and Gatsby is one of her favorite books to teach. She has tried several times to explain to me how much Gatsby resonates with the eleventh graders she has taught. Apparently, many kids at that age feel that restlessness and materialism that is portrayed in Gatsby. The point of the book is supposed to show how hollow and meaningless it is - I think. I was never able to get through it. Give me a nice dystopian novel anyday. But I guess that with a teacher that loves the book, most books could come alive for students.

I watched the 1974 version of the movie this morning. Robert Redford plays a great Gatsby. :) Mia Farrow as Daisy was extremely well done. I like that the movie is told from Nick's perspective w/ much of the narration and dialogue directly taken from the book. That's a plus.

For those who couldn't get through it, I suggest giving it another shot. It is such a thought-provoking book. So much symbolism.

I just started reading this with my high schoolers. For some reason I never had to read this in high school or college. So it is all new to me. I have read short stories by Fitzgerald and found his writing style captivating and wonderfully deep. However, I can see that this novel is not going to be uplifting!!! The characters are all so lost and depraved. But I am finding the book very hard to put down and I just started it last night!

I love Gatsby.

I love Fitzgerald. (Well, his writing, anyway. I understand he was kind of a jerk.)

I think that book is just beautiful, and I think about it/quote it frequently.

In fact, just recently when there was some tension on these boards, I was thinking about Fitzgerald's concept of "careless" people.

I find the characters unforgettable, if not necessarily people with whom I'd want to hang out. It evokes a time and place so strongly . . .

I think it's a beautiful, sad, cautionary tale of a book.

Agreeing with Jenny. I read Gatsby for the first time during the autumn after earning my BS and I thought, "How did they let me graduate college without reading this book?" At 22, I declared it to be the perfect novel. The last time I read it (maybe ten years ago) I still loved it. A cautionary tale, indeed.

Sigh...

Jane

My sil (17 and going off to Stanford this Fall) LOVES this book. I couldn't get through the first few pages (as a 30-something adult). I've read many classics, including Ivanhoe, and I LOVE Pride and Prejudice (my favorite in HS). But I didn't like The Great Gatsby. Hmm.. maybe I'll watch the movie. I do like Robert Redford :001_tt1:

• 1 year later...

I love this board.

I listened to this while traveling this weekend. Naturally, it did not get my full attention. I really disliked the people and the story and wondered why it's suggested reading. This thread explains so much for me. The linked analysis was interesting. I'll get the DVD. I may even read it again (okay read it for the first time since I half listened to it the first time).

I was telling dh tonight that I need to have someone tell me the theme of these classics before I read them. In general, the theme goes right over my math-oriented head.

Cheers. :auto:

Edited by Sue in St Pete

My sil is working on her phD in teaching secondary literature and Gatsby is one of her favorite books to teach. She has tried several times to explain to me how much Gatsby resonates with the eleventh graders she has taught. Apparently, many kids at that age feel that restlessness and materialism that is portrayed in Gatsby. The point of the book is supposed to show how hollow and meaningless it is - I think. I was never able to get through it. Give me a nice dystopian novel anyday. But I guess that with a teacher that loves the book, most books could come alive for students.

I know this post is old,, but I am wondering if your sil would mind posting a bit of her insight to Gatsby? I would love to hear what she thinks I read it in Freshman Comp in 1976. Hated it; but that was then.....:001_smile:

It's been a long, long time since I tried and failed to complete that book. I simply hated it. I can't now tell you anything meaningful about specifically what I hated. I just retain an impression that the characters were steeped in a general malaise that I found completely distasteful. And I detest tales of adultery.

I've never had much patience with those who claim constant boredom. Life is so very rich with possibilities that are waiting to be realized. If materialism is standing in the way of that dream, then shuck it..... In my estimation, the "Great Gatsby" needed a good swift kick in the pants and a Nike' sticker slapped across his rear (Just Do It)....

I had to read it twice, I think. I don't hate it--it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do when it disgusts you. :) I think that disgust really is the whole point of the novel: carelessness breeds carelessness, and life is important enough to be careful about the right things. Ie., Gatsby was careful in his planning in how to get Daisy, but careless about all the collateral damage he inflicted (to himself as well as others) along the way. It's the ultimate novel about the hedonism of the Jazz Age, and I think has much to say to us now in our current age of consumerism and self-centeredness.

It's funny--I remember I didn't enjoy reading it when it was assigned, but I am enjoying thinking about it now, and "talking" about it here. :D

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
It's been a long, long time since I tried and failed to complete that book. I simply hated it. I can't now tell you anything meaningful about specifically what I hated. I just retain an impression that the characters were steeped in a general malaise that I found completely distasteful. And I detest tales of adultery.

I've never had much patience with those who claim constant boredom. Life is so very rich with possibilities that are waiting to be realized. If materialism is standing in the way of that dream, then shuck it..... In my estimation, the "Great Gatsby" needed a good swift kick in the pants and a Nike' sticker slapped across his rear (Just Do It)....

That is pretty much exactly how I feel about The Not-So-Great Gatsby.

It's the ultimate novel about the hedonism of the Jazz Age, and I think has much to say to us now in our current age of consumerism and self-centeredness.

Yes! :iagree:

As the OP, I giggled when I saw this thread revived here this week.

I love, love, love this book.

To those who haven't read it yet -- Read it!! Soon! :)

I had to read it in my ESL class, in grade 10. I remember little from the book, except that I loved the interaction with our teacher, as she explained the book, the story, the characters.

I also loved the library that Gatsby had, full of unread books. I would have walked in there, and started reading! LOL...

Guest Dulcimeramy

For me, The Great Gatsby and Babylon Revisited are forever intertwined. Can't read Gatsby without following up with Babylon Revisited.

wikipedia synopsis here

read it online here

You feel the despair and emptiness of the times. It matters more than ever to read this stuff, when current life is so noticeably imitating the past. Every time I turn around, someone is painting a parallel. We don't want to think about it as pertains to us, so let's face it as pertains to them. Isn't that the point of all history and literature anyway?

I think F. Scott Fitzgerald gets to keep his place among the Authors Who Must Be Read Even Though We Can't Stop Sighing.

He can stand next to Hemingway.

(OT, but did y'all see that there is now a "Write Like Hemingway" curriculum? Ye gods! I can tell you how to write like Hemingway. Get the tone right and nothing else matters. For example:

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To die. In the rain.)

I loved Gatsby too. And it seems so apropos these days. I've read it about 5 times over the course of my life and each time it seemed different (I consider this the mark of a true classic). There is much or little to analyze in this book, it can be read at any level. My oldest dd loved it and I am having it in my curriculum this spring for Am. Lit. I worry about assigning it too soon (it is, after all, an adult book). It is probably best read in jr or sr year of high school (because it is so classic) but, I would think it more appropriate for a 20 yr old.