Menu

Anyone love their iron?

Okay, I had to go out and buy a new iron, the old one had survived countless injury and years of over usage. I chose something middle of the road at Walmart a Sunbeam Steam Master Iron. I hate it!:tongue_smilie: Whatever junk the iron part is made of sticks to everything, it grabs the fabric and wrinkles it. It takes forever to iron my dh's cotton/poly dress shirts on the highest setting and using the spray! Aargh! I couldn't stand ironing before now it's up there with cleaning the toilet!:smash:

Anyone absolutely love their iron?

Can you do that- really love your iron?:glare:

I love my Rowenta, too. (And I iron everything.)

Poly/cotton blends can be a bugger to iron, especially with spray. If you spray, wipe your hand across it so the moisture isn't beading up on the surface. And you may want to try the lower setting - the sticking is also because you're essentially melting the plastic (polyester) fibers. Using the lower setting for synthetics should help with that.

because I sew.

It doesn't have to be an expensive one--it needs to steam when it should steam and be dry when it should be dry, not sputter, be small enough to press seams and curves, but be large enough to not take ALL DAY to press a large tablecloth. I do not like the non-stick--if something burns I use an SOS steel wool pad to clean it up easily. (My boys are always starching CAP uniforms, and they are great at burning the starch. ugh.) Lightweight is nice.

I've had mine for several years, but I do go through them since I actually use mine often.

Right now I have a Black and Decker Quick n Easy 320. I like it better than most irons I have owned, but I've never spent a lot of money on one, so I can't compare to something considered "quality". :D

Jean

When we were in Germany, I had to buy a new iron because I didn't want to lug our 20 pound transformer upstairs every time I ironed.

The exchange rate was good, so I sprung for a top of the line iron.

I was amazed at the difference, it was night and day!

We don't iron as much here (and I don't iron at all!), and my husband didn't think the money would be worth it for the cost of an expensive iron here, so he's sucking it up with our cheap iron when he irons his uniforms (once a week, the rest of the week he wears a uniform that doesn't require ironing.)

Another vote for Rowenta. I got the one from Sam's Club. There are a full range of prices for Rowentas, and they don't go on sale. Mine is mid to lower range, I think, but I love it. Kind of. :)

I actually like ironing. I'm weird like that, but I'm not the only one. Patty Johanna likes to iron, too!. I like the smell, and the instant gratification, and the reason to stand still to watch a movie, or dance to my favorite ironing CD. :)

Incidentally, irons will stick when the heat is either too high or too low for the fabric. At the right temperature, it should slide easily. If yours is sticking, check the heat setting.

I have a Rowenta I got at Big Lots a few years ago. I had always heard how great Rowentas were and thought I'd try one. I didn't see much difference, but maybe that's because I only iron when I sew. Well, my sewing room in on a different floor than the laundry room now, so I decided to splurge on a new (cheap) iron. I can now see how wonderful my Rowenta is. I took it downstairs to use for sewing and dh threw a fit when he tried to iron with the new one. I'm stuck with the junk one for sewing now until we move.

So, Rowenta is the king of irons!

I hate ironing, but I'm really very happy with my Rowenta. It works well and smoothly, doesn't snag, the steam feature is good, and the shape is better than my old iron as well. I still don't like ironing, but I hate the experience slightly less now. ;)

I love my Rowenta, too. (And I iron everything.)

Poly/cotton blends can be a bugger to iron, especially with spray. If you spray, wipe your hand across it so the moisture isn't beading up on the surface. And you may want to try the lower setting - the sticking is also because you're essentially melting the plastic (polyester) fibers. Using the lower setting for synthetics should help with that.

It doesn't matter what I iron with this one, or what setting, it just grabs the fabric!:tongue_smilie:

Looks like everybody loves their Rowenta, any specific model?

I had a Rowenta and I wasn't impressed. It broke within 2 years. I have a Shark iron now that I got at Walmart and I've been very pleased with it.

I will say, whatever iron you get, get the stainless steel plate and not the teflon. I think the SS slides over fabric better and lasts longer.

I have had gone thru several Rowenta's. I stopped having to replace mine when my DD got married..she had a nasty habit of knocking it on the floor.

And then it would leak.

She got a Rowenta as a weding gift, but it was from Target or someplace like that. It has always leaked..so maybe her knocking mine on the floor wasn't the cause of the leak.

I now own a Rowenta Profesional line as does my other daughter and they are wonderful. They run close to 100.00 ...I have seen them at Costco and such a tad cheaper. Mine is about 5 years old now and still works fine. I agree with the poster who said get a stainless steel plate..they are much easier to clean. Mine also works better when the water tank is completely full.

I love my Rowenta too. My MIL taught me to sew, and after using her nice Rowenta, I wanted to upgrade.

I have an old Rowenta Professional Inox Steam Iron. The bottom of the line Rowenta irons aren't as good as the upper/mid lines. Mine is 120V 1200 Watt, and is model #DE-87.1A if that helps at all. Mine is an old model number though.