Menu

Question for those with a blog or family website...

Do you post photos of your children? If so, do you worry that someone may use those photos inappropriately somewhere else? My DH has raised this issue and doesn't want us to have a family website, or me to have a blog. Just wondering how others handle this issue.

Shannon

Yes, I do post pictures of my children and I use their real first names. I don't make a regular habit of posting their pictures though. It has crossed my mind a few times especially after my dad told me that he copied pictures of the kids from my blog to his computer. Now, he is their grandpa and just wanted pictures of his grandkids, but it did raise my eyebrows a bit.

I have cut way, way back on the pictures I post. I don't mind posting pictures of the kids in their hockey uniforms or riding their horses as they are usually from a distance, and you can't always make out their faces.

I did post a bunch of pictures recently in honor of my son's 15 birthday.

I also do not post pictures that have other people's children in them.

Jennie

I do post pics, but I don't use ds or dh's real name, per dh's request. I don't post where we live, those that need to know, know. :001_smile:

Our school blog started as a way for family members that are hundreds of miles away could share in our schooling so pictures are a part of that.

I've also heard of people not posting pics of the front of their house as another safety measure.

I also do not post pictures of him with other kids, with eliminated most of the basketball photos. :glare:

I post pics of the children, and I use all of our real names.

Im not too worried at all about being stalked, pictures being used elsewhere etc.

me too.

in fact, part of the reason I do this is specificly for people to know the kids and use the pictures - grandparents, out of state god parents and so forth. even dh when he's on business trips.

I don't post my address or even state or our last name. I guess someone could figure it out from posts and pictures if they piece info together.

I post tons of photos, use real names, and it is easy to determine which city we live in. From there, you can follow links to my husband's business website which gives our last name.

We figure that bad people out there who would use that information would find a way to do it anyway. It is pretty easy for a hacker to find out everything they need to know to access your computer and everything on it unless you have the knowledge needed to adequately secure it.

We just password protect the blog entries that have photos of only the kids--sometimes. LOL It works well to have a password for certain family members. (With Wordpress, I think we can use multiple passwords if we want some things open to one group of people and others open to another.) Our blog probably isn't going to be the first place found by anyone looking for anything interesting! :oP

I do post pics of the kids and my dh is in a profession where we try to keep a level of anonymity for safety issues. I talk about everyone by a different name on the blog and I haven't posted our last name at all. I do want pics, though, because we have family and friends from all over the county that I keep in touch with through it.

I post photos but don't use our surnames or DHs first name because it is unusual and I need to respect some boundaries around his professional life. It would not be hard to find out though. My city is not kept private because I blog about stuff that I do.

Someone could take a photo of one of my sons on the street and I'd never know. It's just not something I worry about. I post lots of pics on Facebook but those are restricted to friends and family.

My kids are of the Free Range variety so we're not worriers. For us, the benefits of blogging/Facebook far outweigh what I perceive to be any minimal risk.

Yes, I have a family blog with photos of my children. I think the odds of someone finding my blog, choosing my children, and manipulating them are pretty slim. I also would never have any photos that would be considered alluring on my blog or potentially attractive to pedophiles (bathing suit pictures, for example).

I also don't mind using names. I really cannot imagine anyone going through any effort to locate them.

I post pictures of my family, but use nicknames for all of us. I don't have any other identifying info about us, except the region we live in. I figure, with all the zillions of blogs out there, the odds of someone actually finding mine and deciding to stalk us are reasonably slim.

I post pics of the children, and I use all of our real names.

Im not too worried at all about being stalked, pictures being used elsewhere etc.

Same here. It is really scary how easy it is to find you on the net anyway so that is the least of my worries. Ever googled your name? For us, we are in the paper for 4-H, church, sports, etc. so if someone wanted to find us it wouldn't be all that hard. The pictures are minor compared to other info out there.

Same here. It is really scary how easy it is to find you on the net anyway so that is the least of my worries. Ever googled your name? For us, we are in the paper for 4-H, church, sports, etc. so if someone wanted to find us it wouldn't be all that hard. The pictures are minor compared to other info out there.

I use a nom de cyber for my computer activites. As much as possible I try to draw a veil between our real identity and our computer presence. I use made up names on our blog (our kids all have vegetable names, Rutabaga, Cauliflower and Artichoke) and I don't refer to dh by any name. (Although one of my friends here did figure out that I was me because of specific details that I mentioned. Boy am I glad I hadn't complained about her kids or her cooking or her dh's driving or something else that would have been embarassing.)

I rarely post photos of the kids (and then only with faces obscured or backs turned). I might mention trip planning for distant vacations but don't say that we're going on a specific trip until we're back. I also don't post about dh being gone except to report his return.

Yes, it is possible to get quite a bit of information about our family from web searches. Much easier than I'd like it to be because of sites like zoom that aggregate disparate pieces of information. But the real baddies can probably do this without the easy website assistance. I just don't feel that I have to give them any extra help. Once a piece of info is onto the internet, it is out of my control forever.

Do you post photos of your children? If so, do you worry that someone may use those photos inappropriately somewhere else? My DH has raised this issue and doesn't want us to have a family website, or me to have a blog. Just wondering how others handle this issue.

Shannon

Well,

I do what I can to keep us anonymous, but most people wouldn't think it. ;)

I post all sorts of pictures. A lot of my house even, but all addresses, street signs, license plates, other identifying car tags / stickers, house numbers are blocked out.

I did just google myself, because everyone always tells me how easy it is to find someone that way. . . not so much. I even plugged in *major* identifiers (last name, location, job, etc.) and still can't find myself. . .

:lol: isn't that just the story of my life!

The big thing I HAVE done, is talk to my kids about internet security - ad nauseum. Not only do they know what can and cannot be safely discussed online, they are also very aware of "clues" on my blog that should someone ever mention they would know *where* it came from.

I think if you were to go to my blog, you could discover some things (i.e. I discuss weather a lot, and I think you could easily determine my time zone. . .)

Hate to say it, but it would almost be fun to examine others' blogs to see what you could discover. . .like a "safety detective" for your friends. (NOT as a stalker!)

I'd be careful, if I were you. I had an incident with my blog last year. It was an open blog for anyone to see. I got a bunch of VERY nasty comments posted to my blog from someone I didn't know. So, obviously, there are people out there looking at my blog that I don't want looking at my blog.

So, I made it private. Only those people who are on an invited list can look at it. I wish I could open it up, but I need to protect us from creeps like that.

I don't post pictures that show faces. I don't really like the whole process of uploading pictures and then figuring how to crop them and make them look good anyway so I post very few pictures anyway. But if it is of the kids it doesn't show their face. I also made up names for them.

I can't say I have a good reason to do either but it makes me feel more comfortable. Part of the reason for picking fake names was that I didn't want them to one day be embarrassed by anything I wrote about them. I just figured it respects their privacy.

I post photos. I do not use full names or the town we live in. It is very easy to figure out what State we are in based on the activities we do.

I do sometimes wonder if someone is doing gross things with my kids pics but I don't wonder enough to stop. Statistic wise harm is still more likely to come from someone we know.