Menu

Our milk cow is giving over 5 gallons of milk a day

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Hmmm. I felt certain there was a "green with envy" emoticon. Couldn't find it. I'll just use this instead :nopity:as I tell you how we go through a gallon of organic milk every day, which adds up to $165 a month on milk alone.

Holy cow! :laugh:

I used to raise dairy goats. Much more manageable amounts of milk! Unless you have a dozen or so in milk at any given time--which we did. :D

I don't do anything just a little bit. Gotta work on that...

ETA: Is she a Jersey? I love them! They have those big doe eyes...

If I were to ever get a cow (and I'd feel like I was betraying dairy goats!) it'd be a Jersey or maybe a Guernsey.

Edited by darlasowders

Wow. We go through a gallon a day. Maybe we need a cow. We have the barn and pasture and the kids would love it, but it just sounds like one more thing to take care of . . .

LUUUUCKYYYY!!! :D

I want a cow. I know I say that on every one of your posts. But I do.

I don't live too far from you Nakia. Maybe it could be YOUR cow and we could just house it for milk?:001_smile:

Wow. We go through a gallon a day. Maybe we need a cow. We have the barn and pasture and the kids would love it, but it just sounds like one more thing to take care of . . .

I don't live too far from you Nakia. Maybe it could be YOUR cow and we could just house it for milk?:001_smile:

:001_smile:

I would love to get a dairy cow and milk it, but we don't drink whole. How do you do it?

You can get a cream separator for home use. It's also possible to skim a good bit off the top after it sits overnight (in a wide mouth jar). You'd probably get something more like 2% that way though.

I may be able to get passed that for copious amounts of milk!

Consider a dairy goat- or better yet - two. They are very social animals. Do some research before discounting them. Sadly, many myths still abound about these amazing animals. (I highly recommend against owning your own buck though. They are the ones that stink...)

I've had several gallon a day milkers (goats). None of which were more then about 150 lbs. One other major advantage--there are only two teats. This is just right for my two hands! My hands are killing me just thinking of milking 2.5 gallons from one animal at once. Not to mention there is almost no way a goat can kill you with a kick.

Thanks for the udder well-wishes! :D

Sweetheart is a Jersey-Guernsey mix. She only has two working quarters, so she is like a big goat :lol:

I think this is a normal amount for a cow. She just calved about 4 weeks ago; they usually give more right after calving. We love drinking the milk whole. Her milk is very rich and creamy. However, when I remove cream for butter, ice cream, alfredo sauce or whatever, I have 'skimmed' milk left and that is yummy too. I still leave quite a bit of cream in it, but it is lighter and thinner and a little more 'refreshing' if that makes sense. To remove the cream, I just scoop it out of the top of the milk jar.

We do make butter, yogurt, ice cream, and soft cheeses. Today I ordered a cheese press in hopes of successfully making some hard cheeses.

Having a cow is a lot of work. But it is so worth it. I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Here is Sweetheart in a picture from last weekend. We had just turned her into a lush pasture...

Picture006.jpg

Her baby is doing great! We're bottle feeding him. We've also turned him into a steer ;) He's not the man he was :lol:

Thanks for the udder well-wishes! :D

Sweetheart is a Jersey-Guernsey mix. She only has two working quarters, so she is like a big goat :lol:

I think this is a normal amount for a cow. She just calved about 4 weeks ago; they usually give more right after calving. We love drinking the milk whole. Her milk is very rich and creamy. However, when I remove cream for butter, ice cream, alfredo sauce or whatever, I have 'skimmed' milk left and that is yummy too. I still leave quite a bit of cream in it, but it is lighter and thinner and a little more 'refreshing' if that makes sense. To remove the cream, I just scoop it out of the top of the milk jar.

We do make butter, yogurt, ice cream, and soft cheeses. Today I ordered a cheese press in hopes of successfully making some hard cheeses.

Having a cow is a lot of work. But it is so worth it. I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Here is Sweetheart in a picture from last weekend. We had just turned her into a lush pasture...

Picture006.jpg

Her baby is doing great! We're bottle feeding him. We've also turned him into a steer ;) He's not the man he was :lol:

Tracy, are you saying Sweetheart had a baby, thats impossible, I remember when she was born. I want a pic of the new baby. And boy she is as big as a cow now, what do you feed that child , miracle grow.

Oh, I think I misunderstood, which explains the confusion.

We have two calves.:)

Isabelle was born in September. Her mother was our milk cow Daisy. Daisy died about 2 1/2 days after giving birth to Isabelle.

Then in Oct, we got Sweetheart--another pregnant milk cow. Sweetheart just calved about 4 weeks ago. She had a bull calf which we are raising for meat.

The cow in the picture above is Sweetheart, the milk cow.

Here is a picture of the new calf:

Picture004.jpg

And here is a picture of Isabelle resting with Sweetheart:

Picture013.jpg

Isabelle is 6 months old; the bull calf is 4 weeks old. Sweetheart is almost 5 years old. :D

Does that clear it up?? lol Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Tracy in Ky

My DH is bound and determined to get one but I feel maxed out already. We have 25 chickens, 6 bunnies, dog, cat and 4 boys who need schooling. Breakfast / chore time in the morning takes us at least an hour. I also have a big garden and bake bread. I know I am a wimp compared to our forefathers but I don't want our lifestyle to take over our lives. I love our semi-homesteading but I am afraid a milk cow is adding a lot to our plate. In addition, DH wants feeder pigs to give the extra milk to.

DH would be able to do the milking most of the year but in winter he is very busy and it would have to fall on our shoulders. I am not cherishing the thought of sitting in a sub-zero barn milking a cow for a half hour.

I am also concerned about our long NY winters. That means lots of cow feed we would have to buy.

I don't wants to squelch DH's desire but I am a hopeless realist. I would love the milk for yogurt, bread and cheese making but that is a lot more work too.

BTW, we loved reading your blog and your view of God's blessing on your homestead. We also admired your red, rock free soil. We have great dirt here but it is full of gravel.