Menu

Nuts or Brilliant? 1st gr. combining AO & WTM. Plans included

Medieval Mom

I've attached two zip files of my first grade plans in progress. One is a daily/weekly planner, of what, specifically, we'll do in a day/week. The other is a snapshot of the first five weeks planned. I'm combining what I like from WTM, AO, and Home Learning Year by Year.

So, is this draconian? Am I nuts? :lol:

Sometimes, I think I should just go "straight" WTM or AO, but I just can't help myself from plucking from each.

(Some things I left empty to be filled in as we go, such as Memory Work and spelling words; other I left open, such as foreign lang., because I'm undecided.)

So, here it is, my work in progress.

Edit: Don't worry. My main goals for each day are, and will be, the three R's. If I get McGuffey, Saxon, and Writing done for the day, I'll be happy. And many of the books, such as picture books planned, are hardly gruelling. I don't intend to come across as a mother who'd make her child sit through "one more book" in tears! But I do like to be organized... Also, every 10th week is planned as a "free week" to do as we please. Think unschooling for a week. We plan to school year 'round, taking one week of every month off.

1st Grade Daily Planner.pdf.zip

1st Grade Weekly Planner.pdf.zip

1st Grade Daily Planner.pdf.zip

1st Grade Weekly Planner.pdf.zip

Edited by Medieval Mom
Confusion among posters...

It looks great on paper--just don't freak if you don't get it all done. :001_smile:

FWIW, I'm a huge AO fan; you can't do better than their reading list. But beyond phonics, math, copywork/penmanship, and tons of reading, everything's gravy.

Have fun!

While I appreciate how much time you've put into this and how wonderful it looks :) - I just can't help thinking this is an awful lot for just 1st grade. I don't mean to sound critical at all as I've been exactly in the same shoes. However, one of the best things I've ever done for our homeschooling this year was to streamline and make things simple. Naturally, this is just our experience and yours may definitely differ. :)

Edited to add: I agree completely with laylamcb above - have fun and don't stress too much if you can't get it all done.

Edited by Lucidity

Very nicely organized... how do you do "Themes to Remember"? Is it just music you play and focus on, or do you ask for feedback from your child as well?

I agree that it does look good on paper, but things might go flying out the window as you roll through the school year... :auto:

While I appreciate how much time you've put into this and how wonderful it looks :) - I just can't help thinking this is an awful lot for just 1st grade. I don't mean to sound critical at all as I've been exactly in the same shoes. However, one of the best things I've ever done for our homeschooling this year was to streamline and make things simple. Naturally, this is just our experience and yours may definitely differ. :)

Edited to add: I agree completely with laylamcb above - have fun and don't stress too much if you can't get it all done.

This is exactly my concern, too!:laugh:I see that you like LCC. I haven't read this yet. If I do, I'll probably tear my plans to shreds and start all over again!:rolleyes:

Very nicely organized... how do you do "Themes to Remember"? Is it just music you play and focus on, or do you ask for feedback from your child as well?

I agree that it does look good on paper, but things might go flying out the window as you roll through the school year... :auto:

Good question! I don't have it yet, so I guess I'll find out when I review the material!;)

This is exactly my concern, too!:laugh:I see that you like LCC. I haven't read this yet. If I do, I'll probably tear my plans to shreds and start all over again!:rolleyes:

Very likely! ;) The crux of LCC is "multum non multa": Not many, much (that is, a narrower but deeper education). I think that we all WANT much, of course, but there's no denying that the more the "many-er," so to speak, the less the much.

Um, was that even English? :001_huh:

:D

I think you're fantastic!!! I wish I could put something together like that!

I like what you've done, and while some of it seems like a lot, certain things shouldn't take too long-poem a day, reading the chapters.... But yes, I do agree that you shouldn't beat yourself up if you don't get everything done each day, as you have planned.

Take a bow for all your effort.:party:

I think you're fantastic!!! I wish I could put something together like that!

I like what you've done, and while some of it seems like a lot, certain things shouldn't take too long-poem a day, reading the chapters.... But yes, I do agree that you shouldn't beat yourself up if you don't get everything done each day, as you have planned.

Take a bow for all your effort.:party:

Thanks!:001_wub:

Yes, a bit of the plan is meant to be done very informally, such as the additional literature in math, social studies, etc. (I just could resist adding in the math picture books I found which correllated to the Saxon lessons, etc.) If we get the picture book read that week, great! If not, I don't think I'll fret about it. I like to have a plan, even if I end up not using ALL of it.

I truly appreciate having this forum to get feedback on my wacky ideas. You all are the best!:)

My big concern is the number of books "going." As an adult, it would both drive me crazy and make me forget what was going on, to do a chapter of Mrs. Piggle Wiggle one week and wait until the next week for the next chapter! I would definitely telescope them and read one book, finish it, then the other. Now, I can see having a chapter book going, and also reading picture books and fairy tales and the Burgess book, etc. But within one book, I'd want to keep going.

It's a lot, but it doesn't look too horrible on the fundamentals. What there is a lot of is read alouds. Whether or not that is too much will depend on you and your daughter. If what everyone likes most to do is sit on the couch and read, it should work nicely. But please don't panic when it gets off schedule, which will happen almost immediately! Life happens! I tend to keep lists (one for history, one for science, one for literature, etc), and when I finish one book, I go to the next, so that I don't worry that my whole year is messed up.

Do the basics. Then use this as a skeleton for reading aloud. And don't panic. It's great to have ideas and options. If you hate a book, toss it in the pile and get another one.

I use one of the HOD programs for K, and we are reading all the AO Year 1 books too...

My son loves them. We have a huge stack, and it is his favorite part of the week. We are not doing Trial and Triumph's.

We are just doing the reading list from AO not all the music, and art.

AO Year 1 has awesome books~ Enjoy!

My big concern is the number of books "going." As an adult, it would both drive me crazy and make me forget what was going on, to do a chapter of Mrs. Piggle Wiggle one week and wait until the next week for the next chapter! I would definitely telescope them and read one book, finish it, then the other. Now, I can see having a chapter book going, and also reading picture books and fairy tales and the Burgess book, etc. But within one book, I'd want to keep going.

This is the AO way--to have several real books going at once. Some of them are read over several YEARS (I'm thinking of Our Island Story and Trial and Triumph). I have never read this way and didn't think that it would work, but it has been WONDERFUL. The kids are able to keep all of the story lines straight, and there is time to really digest a book slowly since you've "lived in it" for so long. And here's the weird thing: Now I read this way, too. :001_huh:

I'm gonna have to vote nuts on this one. It looks pretty, to be sure, but I have kids who are just finishing up K and 1st and I can't imagine trying to get all this done. Maybe you and your kid are super-organized and super-energetic, but a schedule like that would leave me puffing after the first week. I think if you set yourself up to try to accomplish all that on an ongoing basis, there's a high likelihood you are going to end up being to hard on yourself and your kid trying to accomplish it all. Sometimes there's a temptation to get cranky with the kids when it feels like they are messing up our best-laid plans, eh?

I'd say, focus on the basics and simplify as much as possible. Start small and, if it feels appropriate, add things in.

Tara

So organized! I'm impressed.

I started out doing something very similar this past year with my 6yo. We tweaked it a bit and ultimately downsized my plans just a bit. I discovered that for us doing a narration of each and every book that we read each day was tedious. Instead I choose a book daily that helped him develop his narrations and then read and discussed about the rest.

Have a great year!

LCC is great, imo, even if you decide not to go classical. One post of a fellow LCCer here on the forum (I wish I could remember who so I could give credit) was that you learn to pick and choose. You don't have to give it all up, but focus on the basics, the most important skills and then pick out the parts of the rest you want that are the very best.

For example, I'm trying to follow LCC now but I'm also doing Sonlight. I can't imagine trying to fit Sonlight into one day a week so instead I'm picking and choosing what I "think" is the very best from it.

Of course, this is my first real week doing it the "LCC way" so I shouldn't really shouldn't say anything. LOL

I admire you for having a plan. I wish I'd made more of one myself even if I hadn't followed exactly. Oh well, it only took me 6 years to figure that out. ;)

It just seems like a LOT. I have a 1st grader and there is no way I would get all of that done in one day. And the book reading would drive.me.nuts (and him too). It is pretty and organized. It just seems like a tough target to hit. I am not saying "aim low," maybe just start slower and add in things as you can. Also, please know you don't have to do Science and History every single day. My older son does Science four times a week (with NOEO, so very quick four times a week...or sometimes we combine two lessons and do it two days a week), and we do history Mon, Wed, and Fri. This is enough, and I alternate other subjects as well to try and make sure he has what he needs without burnout.

I have (or had at one time) a lot of the resources you list. It could take upwards of four hours on a good day to accomplish this. Are you and your student ready for that? Is he one of those that can't get enough of school?

It might be a little nuts and it might be brilliant. You'll have to let us know after the first week...

It sure is pretty though! :001_smile:

Don't forget to take some time out for YOU btw. Brush up on skills you'll need to teach him as he gets older. This is something I wish I'd done when my oldest was a first grader. Now my youngest is almost in gr 1. What happened? :001_huh:

This is the AO way--to have several real books going at once. Some of them are read over several YEARS (I'm thinking of Our Island Story and Trial and Triumph). I have never read this way and didn't think that it would work, but it has been WONDERFUL. The kids are able to keep all of the story lines straight, and there is time to really digest a book slowly since you've "lived in it" for so long. And here's the weird thing: Now I read this way, too. :001_huh:

I haven't tried it, but I would have a hard time reading one chapter from Pinocchio and telling my ds, who would be begging for one more chapter that, I can't because we have other books to read and we'll get to chapter two next week. :001_huh:

THAT I agree with. You have to be willing to let the child take off if they like the story.

:iagree: also.

There have been some books that...well, with apologies to Charlotte Mason, we simply couldn't read slowly as scheduled. We were supposed to do Paddle-to-the-Sea over the course of 27 weeks. Um, we read it in 3 days. They would NOT let me stop. And there's NO WAY I'm going to fight that kind of love for a book.

But this is what we're all talking about, right? The best-laid plans of mice and men--and even of moms--must be flexible. Either that, or prepare for the inevitable frustration and burnout. ;)

Oh! And shhhh: It's even OK to do science or history or whatever only once a week. Or even take a break from said subjects for, say, a few weeks. Not that I'd know anything about that.

I like it. But, it's A LOT. I would suggest starting light. Begin with just the very basics, and then slowly add each additional thing in, as you feel you can handle it. When you have a good routine going, it's easy to slowly add one or two things to that routine.

I understand the need to plan a lot as well. I always plan too much. I would rather plan too much, and back off when it is too much, than not have enough planned. I can be flexible, as long as I have a general plan going in to it. (Did that even make sense?)

I hadn't really understood the theory behind CM's approach of reading a book over the course of several weeks. However, I read something interesting just recently about the idea behind reading a book over a long period vs quickly, over a short period.

The writer pointed out that, when you read a book slowly, over a longer period of time, you "live" with that book for a longer period. Coming to the end of a 12 week term, for example, having read 8 books, a little every week, would foster a much different relationship with those books than coming to the end of the term having read one book the first week, moving to the next book the next week, a different book the next week, etc.

I definitely don't do justice to the article I read. Hope I can find it and post the link. It really clarified for me the whole reason behind reading multiple books over a longer period.

ETA: I've found that one tremendous advantage of planning things out as clearly & in as much detail as you're doing is that it really familiarized me with the material and how everything fit together. The more connections I can make, the more efficient and effective I can be when I actually teach the kids. I never end up using my plans as-is, but having an ideal mapped out means I get much closer to it than if I just opened the book on the day of the lesson....

yvonne

Edited by yvonne

ETA: I've found that one tremendous advantage of planning things out as clearly & in as much detail as you're doing is that it really familiarized me with the material and how everything fit together. The more connections I can make, the more efficient and effective I can be when I actually teach the kids. I never end up using my plans as-is, but having an ideal mapped out means I get much closer to it than if I just opened the book on the day of the lesson....

:iagree: I love planning for this reason. I'm doing this with my ds's next years science text (Apologia's Physical Science) right now, and I'm practically reading it while making quite detailed lesson plans and have a pretty good idea how it should play out (I think...).

I hadn't really understood the theory behind CM's approach of reading a book over the course of several weeks. However, I read something interesting just recently about the idea behind reading a book over a long period vs quickly, over a short period.

The writer pointed out that, when you read a book slowly, over a longer period of time, you "live" with that book for a longer period. Coming to the end of a 12 week term, for example, having read 8 books, a little every week, would foster a much different relationship with those books than coming to the end of the term having read one book the first week, moving to the next book the next week, a different book the next week, etc.

I definitely don't do justice to the article I read. Hope I can find it and post the link. It really clarified for me the whole reason behind reading multiple books over a longer period.

yvonne

Here's an AO link for the subject of reading books slowly over a course of time. http://www.amblesideonline.org/AOSlowReading.shtml

Because I wanted to read lots of fun picture books, too, in first grade, I added in the additional mathematical lit., fine arts lit., etc. These are simple books we'd read in one sitting from cover to cover (all 32 pages:lol:) .

Perhaps that's why my schedule looks so big. I'm showing all the little picture books, etc., we'd like to read as well as the Core Curriculum, which I consider to be the three R's (in our case, Saxon, McGuffey, and Writing with Ease).

Edited by Medieval Mom

The schedule looks good in a perfect world. Is this the schedule you plan to re-use again with your DS? I ask because I am VERY careful to make sure what I do with my DD being the eldest I am going to be able to replicate with my DS in a couple of years time.

And I am very much on the side of putting as much emphasis on the younger as I do on the older. I don't want the younger to always just be the tag-a-long.

Both of my kiddos sit in on all of the read-alouds, so I don't plan on duplicating it ALL.

I do plan on reading the best read-alouds, again for the youngest. My goal is to do at least some reading each day that is appropriate for each child and to teach each of them the core subjects at a level that is appropriate for the individual.

But they don't have to have the exact same schedules to say that. In fact, with using a 4 year history cycle....it's guaranteed that they WON'T.

It's so fun to plan, isn't it?

I think it's a lot of read alouds, but you'll find out if it works for you when you try it.

Just want to point out that while it's true that the CM way is to schedule the books out slowly AO also has free reads that you can read however you want. We probably do read as much as you have on your schedule, but books like Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and James and the Giant Peach I consider fun reads, not part of school, and we read them when we can, including on the weekends, a chapter here and there. I did use mostly WTM resources and added the AO lit. and picture study, plus many read alouds. Every home school is going to be different and first grade has been a lot of fun. Enjoy!

I do plan on reading the best read-alouds, again for the youngest. My goal is to do at least some reading each day that is appropriate for each child and to teach each of them the core subjects at a level that is appropriate for the individual.

But they don't have to have the exact same schedules to say that. In fact, with using a 4 year history cycle....it's guaranteed that they WON'T.

My own experience this year with AO readings (and all of the additional reading we did as well for SOTW1, which included Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus) was that ds 4 sat in on the vast bulk of it with no problem whatsoever. There were a couple of AO readings--Parables from Nature springs immediately to mind--that he just could. not. sit. through. He got up and played through those. But for nearly everything else, ds was on board for most if not all of the book. It was amazing--a great reminder of how often we underestimate the workings of those wee little minds.... :001_smile:

Remind me that I wrote this when we tackle the unabridged Pilgrim's Progress in the fall for AO Years 2 and 3. :001_huh:

I think with the AO book list ALL the books are so good, that your child will be OK with reading just one chapter, because you are reading the next chapter in a equally good book after...

Right now we are in the middle of reading 12 books, from AO and HOD and my son loves them all and can keep track of them. We read a one chapter from 3-4 books daily.

He begs me to "get the big stack" of books to read... :)

I didn't look at your plans- I was just putting in a plug for AO. My son colors, plays with cars or toys while I read him the books. So he isn't just sitting there for a long time listening. :)

Enjoy your 1st grade year~

The schedule looks good in a perfect world. Is this the schedule you plan to re-use again with your DS? I ask because I am VERY careful to make sure what I do with my DD being the eldest I am going to be able to replicate with my DS in a couple of years time.

Well, we'll see! My children are 5 1/2 years apart, and will either be five or six years apart academically (I don't know yet, since the younger is only four months old ;) By the time my younger is doing first grade, I imagine the elder will be doing a lot more independent work.

I've got the AO year 1 schedule and SOTW. I'm dropping a few of the AO books (Trial & Triumph and Our Island Story) come to mind. But, adding in SOTW 1. I'm looking at doing SOTW twice a week, with some notebooking pages that someone here set up. We'll do whatever corresponding read-alouds my library has.

I also tend to do the (for fun) chapter book read-alouds as audio books in the car. We've finished quite a few that way. I need to go through the AO fun list and see what my library has.

I'm also looking at doing Classical Conversations, which means I would probably drop the AO picture study and music study (which means I'm not truly doing AO:D) We'll see.

Anyway, I think the basic idea is fine.

At first glance, your schedule is so pretty and impressive. But I think it's nuts!! At least for me since I have 4dc with another one on the way.

But everyone is different. This would just be impossible for me to do! We're just finishing 1st grade and I have a K4, as well as a preschooler and toddler. There just isn't enough hours in the day for me to accomplish so much reading. I think my dc would also be overwhelmed and burnt out by the end of the semester.

Either way, I wish you luck!

Liz in NC

Well, in a perfect world, with robotic kids - I think this could work. And, I don't mean this as a slam.......seriously. But I think you've outlined a pretty intense and rigid program that looks GREAT on paper. HOwever, remember that you are working with c*h*i*l*d*r*e*n, and that they have their meltdowns, diversions, and all other unpredictable behavior. Also, remember that the beauty of hs'ing is flexibility. If I had to meet that schedule every week, I'd be outta here......I think you're placing quite a large burden on yourself.............Why set the bar so high?

Another thing to consider, is what it's worth to you to complete this schedule. If it's a challenge for your kids, you may find yourself in a lot of conflict with your child. So, I think you need to consider the balance between providing a rigorous, enriching program, and having peaceful harmony at home.

I have been combining these (WTM and AO) for my first grader this year. I love the AO books...but I will say that we have gotten behind in our reading because it ended up being ALOT of readalouds. I have a pre-Ker who couldn't follow the AO stories, so it meant alot of the day he felt left out. I say go for it but be realistic...you will have a baby so if things get bumped, don't panic. I am reading from week "26 " this week and I should be on "28". No biggie. We might finish these this summer. Also during the winter every time I get sick I lose my voice! Which is ok for some subjects but not readalouds-another reason we got behind.

The other thing I came to realize was that my ds was not having the amount of unstructured play time that I think is appropriate for this age. So AO readings came after a nice long recess. Just some things I've learned this year.

I will say I am AMAZED at how the AO readings have stretched his vocab and comprehension. Some of the AO books are SO advanced I wondered if I should hold off for awhile, but he is enjoying them and understanding them, so we keep plugging away.

Enjoy your first grader! I love this age and this year passed far too quickly for me.:001_smile:

ETA: We never read the books on the "free reading" book list one chapter per week. This is our preference-you may prefer to, but my kids liked to sit and cuddle on the couch w/ those books as long as I was willing to read. Pinocchio is one that comes to mind as a particular favorite-we read it all in a week. I like the idea of spreading out the readings CM style but its not necessicary on every book all the time. If someone had made me read the Harry Potter books that way I would have shot them! (and NO HP is NOT twaddle! roflol!)

Edited by Homemama2

ETA: We never read the books on the "free reading" book list one chapter per week. This is our preference-you may prefer to, but my kids liked to sit and cuddle on the couch w/ those books as long as I was willing to read. Pinocchio is one that comes to mind as a particular favorite-we read it all in a week. I like the idea of spreading out the readings CM style but its not necessicary on every book all the time. If someone had made me read the Harry Potter books that way I would have shot them! (and NO HP is NOT twaddle! roflol!)

Good point. Keep it flexible.

Thanks for all of your imput.:) I switched James and the Giant Peach and a few other "fun reads" to be read in one week's time during our "free weeks", substituting Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus in it's slot (Friday's chapter per day read aloud).

Perhaps I'll box or put in bold text the core curriculum to better separate it from the fluff, so that if I forget my way and find that I'm stressed trying to do too much, I can focus on what's truly essential.

This year for K, I had plenty of reading "scheduled", but I considered this more of a suggested list of titles to read if we had time. As long as we had our math lesson, McGuffey, Alpha-phonics, and penmanship, I felt that we had accomplished our core essentials for the day. (We've been in this mode for a while, since the baby was born and being in the middle of moving twice in a few months...)

You've all given me much food for thought. Thank you!;)

• 4 months later...
:iagree: I love planning for this reason. I'm doing this with my ds's next years science text (Apologia's Physical Science) right now, and I'm practically reading it while making quite detailed lesson plans and have a pretty good idea how it should play out (I think...).

Care to share your lesson plans???