Menu

Obama's "before schooling"

Please be careful to not let this topic stray into the political realm. The topic is home education, not whether the president's educational or other plans are correct.

That said, I thought this snippet from Obama's speech on education from March 10 was interesting and deserved a wider homeschool audience:

When I was a child, living in Indonesia with my mother, she didn’t have the money to send me where all the American kids went to school so she supplemented my schooling with lessons from a correspondence course. I can still picture her, waking me up at 4:30 in the morning five days a week to go over some lessons before I left for school. And whenever I’d complain or find some excuse for getting more sleep, she’d patiently repeat her most powerful defense – “This is no picnic for me either, buster.” And it is because she did this day after day, week after week, and because of all the other opportunities and breaks I had along the way, that I can stand here today as President of the United States.

This reminded me of Jessie Wise's parents making her memorize things and teaching her phonics. I'll have to quote that the next time my kids give me grief: "This is no picnic for me either, buster." :001_smile:

Please be careful to not let this topic stray into the political realm. The topic is home education, not whether the president's educational or other plans are correct.

That said, I thought this snippet from Obama's speech on education from March 10 was interesting and deserved a wider homeschool audience:

This reminded me of Jessie Wise's parents making her memorize things and teaching her phonics. I'll have to quote that the next time my kids give me grief: "This is no picnic for me either, buster." :001_smile:

I think it's a good foundation for the case for Homeschooling being a good and valid choice for those wanting who choose to go that route.

He grew up an a village in Nigeria, but after spending time in the NYC area in American schools, his mother used Calvert to homeschool him for several years! I am so struck by the numbers of prominent, high-achieving people who were homeschooled, in some way or another.

I think it's a good example for non-homeschool parents actually...

...the idea that "settling" for a less than desirable education needn't be your only option;

...that parents can take it upon themselves to take charge of the quality of education their children receive;

...that just because you can't afford great private schools or you can't stay at home to homeschool full-time, doesn't mean your child has to have an inferior education;

...that just because the public system says this is the standard doesn't mean you can't go above and beyond and reach your own standards for excellence.

I liked the quote from his mother. I can find lots of uses for it around here!

I don't think this indicates any support for homeschooling. Maybe extraschooling.

It doesn't seem that his mother's distress at not being able to get him into the school of her choice had any effect on his attitude toward every parent's choices in their child's education. Has he spoken about parental choice in education beyond what he said in the OP's quote?

I liked the quote from his mother. I can find lots of uses for it around here!

I don't think this indicates any support for homeschooling. Maybe extraschooling.

It doesn't seem that his mother's distress at not being able to get him into the school of her choice had any effect on his attitude toward every parent's choices in their child's education. Has he spoken about parental choice in education beyond what he said in the OP's quote?

I don't remember which speech this was, but I'm glad I wrote it down! :D

"But in the end, responsibility for our children’s success doesn’t start in Washington. It starts in our homes. It starts in our families. Because no education policy can replace a parent who’s involved in their child’s education from day one... " -Barack Obama

Still open to interpretation, but I like it!

Politics aside:

She dragged her son to a foreign country b/c she married someone who was not Barack's father. She sent Barack to a school that didn't teach in English.

If she hadn't done those 2 things, there'd have been no need to wake him up at 4 am to teach. IMO, what she did was selfish and ill-advised.

Politics aside:

She dragged her son to a foreign country b/c she married someone who was not Barack's father. She sent Barack to a school that didn't teach in English.

If she hadn't done those 2 things, there'd have been no need to wake him up at 4 am to teach. IMO, what she did was selfish and ill-advised.

It's selfish to get remarried after a divorce? It's selfish to send your kids to a school that teaches in a language other than your own?

:confused:

It's selfish to get remarried after a divorce? It's selfish to send your kids to a school that teaches in a language other than your own?

:confused:

Yes. And drag them to another country where you don't have a choice other than instruction in a foreign language.

And how well did it work out?

He was sent back to Hawaii to live with his grandparents.

Yes. And drag them to another country where you don't have a choice other than instruction in a foreign language.

And how well did it work out?

He was sent back to Hawaii to live with his grandparents.

He lived in Indonesia for four years, then returned to Hawaii. One year after he returned to Hawaii, his mother also returned to Hawaii and stayed there for five years.

He lived in Indonesia for four years, then returned to Hawaii. One year after he returned to Hawaii, his mother also returned to Hawaii and stayed there for five years.

He was sent back to Hawaii b/c it wasn't working out in Indonesia.

If everything was hunky-dory, he would have stayed with his mom.

Big deal if she went back to Hawaii. Obama's mom, Stanley, then divorced the step-dad. After a few years in Hawaii, she left Obama again to go back to Indonesia, this time for school for herself. More self-centered, selfish behavior.