Menu

Needs your best ideas/products for SEVERE chapped lips and face

DD constantly licks her lips which causes the skin around her lips (not her actual lips for some reason) to be severely red, chapped, and irritated. She looks like she got into mommy red lipstick (not that I wear red lipstick:tongue_smilie:) and had a ball. People ask her all the time what kind of red juice she's been drinking. :001_huh: This week has been really bad, and she is saying it burns. Which, of course, makes her lick them more. Here is what we have tried: Eucerin Cream 6 or more times a day, Vaseline, and every kind of chapstick. Any other suggestions?

Yes! All three of my girls licked their lips quite a bit when they were about the age of your kids. We discovered that A&D Ointment (yes, the stuff for diaper rash on baby's bottoms) was the best thing to use---a fresh tube, of course. The A and D vitamins in the ointment really help heal chapped lips.

In fact, it works so well that I still use it myself---on my lips, of course. (True confessions :blush:)

Hope this helps!

The kind meant for breastfeeding moms, or whatever other form of lanolin cream is available. My daughter just got over this with a few days' application of the cream.

I also have suspected that there might be a yeast infection involved, but I don't know whether that's possible or not. If the lanolin hadn't cleared it up, that would have been my next try.

Terri

Make sure they are drinking plenty of water too. (not sugary drinks which can dehydrate you) I also make sure they apply the cream at night.

I like the A&D idea, I think we will try that! I hate this time of year. Everyone's skin is dry - even the dog.

I ditto the diaper creme - we use Penaten. The trick is to put it on thickly at night time; the skin will have time to heal, though you probably will end up with it smeared all over the bedding too.

If it's an 'at home' day, I will put it on ds in the day as well but it does look very strange as it's very white and when it sinks into the cracks, the effect is quite peculiar. Works wonders though & only a couple days will get it under control.

For maintenance & prevention, we use Nivea & Neutrogena lip balms. Make sure the lip balm doesn't have any mint or menthol in it. Many do & those ingredients will dry the lips out. Also, nothing flavoured as I find that just encourages them to lick it off.

I have about six tubes scattered all over the house so he can reapply regularly - about once an hour.

A and D ointment and chewing gum to keep that little mouth busy. Keep the saliva off and it will heal. If it is weepy and opening, it might have become "impetigized" as a dermatologist said to me today, and might respond to some Ab ointment with staph coverage.

(remember, free advice is worth what you pay for it).

My youngest had the same problem this winter. If A&D does not work for you, maybe Carmex would. Cleared up my son's lips in a day or two and it was less than $2 at Walmart. It stung a bit but his case was so bad A&D did not help. Poor guy.

The kind meant for breastfeeding moms, or whatever other form of lanolin cream is available.

That's what I was going to recommend as well. I have a sensitivity to sodium lauryl sulfate, but before I figured that out, I had chronically chapped and peeling lips due to the SLS in most toothpastes. Lanolin was the only thing that truly helped.

That's what I was going to recommend as well. I have a sensitivity to sodium lauryl sulfate, but before I figured that out, I had chronically chapped and peeling lips due to the SLS in most toothpastes. Lanolin was the only thing that truly helped.

this lanolin that a number of posters have mentioned is called Lansinoh. it is 100% medical grade lanolin and, hands down, is the best thing for severe chapped lips.

it can be hard to find. look in the baby sections of pharmacies. the picture below is from Amazon. you wouldn't need a 3 pack, though. it's very thick and will last a long time. it's not cheap but worth every penny; your daughter will feel relief and her lips start returning to normal within a day. i had this problem with my son years ago and Lansinoh was a miracle. on another board i'm on a guy posted with the same problem. i told him if he could get over the fact that it's a nipple cream, the Lansinoh would save him. in desperation he put his manly ego on hold and tracked it down. a few days later he posted that the nipple cream had saved his face.

51VY8DY0NZL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

Edited by Deidre in GA

Update!! After just 1 day of using this stuff, her chapped face is gone! It's been 4 days now, and her face is perfect. We will continue to use it. Yay!!!

this lanolin that a number of posters have mentioned is called Lansinoh. it is 100% medical grade lanolin and, hands down, is the best thing for severe chapped lips.

it can be hard to find. look in the baby sections of pharmacies. the picture below is from Amazon. you wouldn't need a 3 pack, though. it's very thick and will last a long time. it's not cheap but worth every penny; your daughter will feel relief and her lips start returning to normal within a day. i had this problem with my son years ago and Lansinoh was a miracle. on another board i'm on a guy posted with the same problem. i told him if he could get over the fact that it's a nipple cream, the Lansinoh would save him. in desperation he put his manly ego on hold and tracked it down. a few days later he posted that the nipple cream had saved his face.

51VY8DY0NZL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

Natural Solutions for Chapped Lips

No matter if lips are exposed to the drying heat of summer or the bitter cold of winter, oftentimes the delicate skin on the lips is the first to feel damage. With a little help from nature, chapped lips don’t have to hang around as long as the storm or heat wave does. Try one of these easy treatments for dry, cracked, and sore lips.

Honey

Honey is an excellent choice as a treatment for a bad case of chapped and cracked lips because it is moisturizing and healing. Honey is safe to use on small cuts, and it is antibacterial so it will also keep lips from getting infected. Use honey on lips before going to bed at night, or apply throughout the day. A half hour treatment should help smooth and heal chapped lips, and it can be done several times a day for severe cases.

Olive Oil

Extra virgin olive oil is a good moisturizer for a case of dry lips, and can usually be found in just about any kitchen. For natural product choices out on the market, aim for a blend of olive oil and beeswax for a smooth consistency and thick coverage, especially helpful in the blistering cold.

Aloe Vera

If the lips are chapped or over-dry from exposure to the sun, aloe vera might be a good choice for soothing and cooling the burn. Use the gel directly from a piece of aloe plant, or find a gel that is pure aloe vera for your lips. After using the gel from the inside of the plant, it can be broken open and the clear and wet inside flesh can be rubbed directly on the lips. Put it in the fridge to help refresh the piece until there is no more moisture.

Drink more Water

Chapped lips are often a sign that there is not enough water in the body to keep the skin hydrated. If chapped lips seem to be a recurring theme, try increasing your water consumption.

Shea Butter

Shea butter is extremely moisturizing and nourishing to the skin, and it is said to mimic the skin’s natural oils. If commercial products and other oils do not work for you, mild shea butter might. Shea butter is also a good choice for sensitive skin, which is what makes it a popular choice for baby lotions and other baby products.