Menu

Ancient History Plans

I mentioned on another thread (well trained smackdown!) that I had used Susan's History of the Ancient World with The Teaching Company Western Civ dvds, Spielvogel's Western Civ text and a few other books. Several of you asked if you could take a look at the plan!

I do have a chart showing how I broke the books and DVDs into weekly assignments. However, I can't post it here without the formatting going all screwy. I can e-mail it as an attachment, though.

A note - this does not include any real literature as I used Smarr that year, which came with a 36-week schedule that my girls pretty much followed. It turned out to be a good year, as I had a 9th and 11th grader (as well as a 2nd and 4th grader) and I needed to have things planned in advance.

Let me know!

How did the Smarr Ancient Literature do coinciding with your history studies?

It really did not coincide perfectly. I think I remember that we were still doing Greek plays when we were already doing Rome for History. But I stuck with it because the whole reason I went with Smarr was to avoid figuring out yet another schedule!

Smarr is not bad at all. The level was perfect for my 9th grader and easy-ish for my 11th grader, but I thought that was fine. We did use SparkNotes, Invitation to the Classics, TWEM and Heroes of The City of Man as needed when we discussed the books - I didn't schedule them, they were just available for us, kwim?

They decided that the Iliad is the worst.book.ever and Achilles is so unspeakably NOT a hero, that Odysseus and Penelope rock, that the Romans stole all their culture from the Greeks but are still superior, that Fitzgerald pwns Fagles, that Antigone was a true believer- iow, the books themselves sparked a lot of conversations!

We may not have gone into as much depth as we could have if we had read less books but spent more time on them, or if we had used Omnibus or something. But my oldest was also doing PSAT and SAT prep and well, something had to give!

HTH.

Maybe I am being ridiculous, but I want to repeat - there is no literature on this plan!

1. I don't want anyone to be disappointed.

2. I don't want anyone to think that my girls read so little in one year!

:blushing: I probably shouldn't care - but I do!

• 3 months later...
Guest GeorgiaTea

Coming in late here also - this is exactly what I was looking at as well - I would also love a copy if it is not too late!! Thank you!

tburchardt @ bellsouth dot net