Menu

After 12 years of homeschooling...

I have completely abandoned the classical method. Next year, my then 9th grader and then 5th grader will be using......**gulp**.......ABeka. Yep. Every subject except math will be ABeka.

I never thought it would happen, but alas here it is. I needed something structured and convenient since I'll also be working with my learning-disabled niece and my entirely neglected, waaaaaaaaaaay behind nephew.

9th grade dd will even be using the DVD program. She went with us to the book fair and absolutely LOVED what she saw!

So, am I still allowed to come play here???

Absolutely! They haven't kicked off this Classical Unschooler, yet. LOL (Um, should I have mentioned that?) BTW, a classical unschooler is someone who starts the year as a classical schooler but ends it as an unschooler. :D

Next year we are moving into more structured, prepackaged curriculum also. We just need that right now. Hope you have a great year next year!

I have completely abandoned the classical method. Next year, my then 9th grader and then 5th grader will be using......**gulp**.......ABeka. Yep. Every subject except math will be ABeka.

I never thought it would happen, but alas here it is. I needed something structured and convenient since I'll also be working with my learning-disabled niece and my entirely neglected, waaaaaaaaaaay behind nephew.

9th grade dd will even be using the DVD program. She went with us to the book fair and absolutely LOVED what she saw!

You know I've often wondered if I'm attracted to the more structured curriculums because of my dd's learning challenges. You're very smart to recognize this before there's an issue or concern.

Kudos. Please don't go away. You have much to share.

I think it's a given that, despite the moniker, this is not a board that consists solely (or even exclusively) of classical educators. You're good to go. (And bless you for being willing to help your niece and nephew. You're a better woman than I, my dear.)

I think it's a given that, despite the moniker, this is not a board that consists solely (or even exclusively) of classical educators. You're good to go. (And bless you for being willing to help your niece and nephew. You're a better woman than I, my dear.)

Thanks, Col. I haven't been around much, and I have missed you indeed!

:grouphug:Donna:grouphug:

You are always welcome in my imaginary circle of friends. Your family and niece & nephew are blessed to have you in their lives.

My dd loves her ABeka DVD Academy. I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I love the fact that I'm mostly mom to her again..except for math and administering & grading numerous quizzes, tests and papers. (No tomatoes please.:001_smile:)

Our experience has been that settling into the DVD lesson routine and set up takes a bit of time and planning, but now each day is easy. Letting go of my ideal vision was harder than I expected, but I still have my ds to torture with Latin. Time seems to be slipping through my fingers and I can't seem to do anything about it..

Life is about balance...and I wish you a very happy year.

Edited by Tammyla

:grouphug:Donna:grouphug:

You are always welcome in my imaginary circle of friends. Your family and niece & nephew are blessed to have you in their lives.

My dd loves her ABeka DVD Academy. I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I love the fact that I'm mostly mom to her again..except for math and administering & grading numerous quizzes, tests and papers. (No tomatoes please.:001_smile:)

Our experience has been that settling into the DVD lesson routine and set up takes a bit of time and planning, but now each day is easy. Letting go of my ideal vision was harder than I expected, but I still have my ds to torture with Latin. Time seems to be slipping through my fingers and I can't seem to do anything about it..

Life is about balance...and I wish you a very happy year.

OK, so I have a question for you. Does your dd take over 5 hours a day to get school done??? I'm reading now that the videos take about 5 hours (in high school) and then there's about 3 hours of homework on top of that! :ack2:

Really???

BTW, a classical unschooler is someone who starts the year as a classical schooler but ends it as an unschooler. :D

:lol:

I have done that for the last 2 years! Now I have a name for it, thanks! I work so hard in the beginning for the year. By our 4th term, I am done, and I loosen up considerably.

I am doing the DVD program for my 3rd grade and it does take us at least 5 hours to do school. If my son would focus he could get it done in 4 hours or so... with little to no homework.

I was thrilled for the first month, then reality hit and this program is no easier for me or my son than the others we've tried. Now little by little we are dropping the subjects in Abeka and picking them back up elsewhere.

OK, so I have a question for you. Does your dd take over 5 hours a day to get school done??? I'm reading now that the videos take about 5 hours (in high school) and then there's about 3 hours of homework on top of that! :ack2:

Really???

I'll give the simple answer here.

Each DVD video lesson on average is 45-60 minutes. English & math always right at an hour. Then add an average of 30-60 minutes per class of homework and it works out. But it isn't that bad either.:grouphug:

I'll give the simple answer here.

Each DVD video lesson on average is 45-60 minutes. English & math always right at an hour. Then add an average of 30-60 minutes per class of homework and it works out. But it isn't that bad either.:grouphug:

Gee, that is longer than BJU!

With BJU everything except Highschool Math & Science is 30 minutes, they tell you to expect double the viewing time for the work (there are 15 minute classes in elementary level). High School Math and Science are 45 minutes - those are "live" classes for some schools.

I'm switching to lots of ABeka for us this year too - not the DVD program but the History, Science and Health for sure.

I truly feel it's what is right for us - I will have a 3rd and 8th grader this year...I feel textbooks are the way to go for us. I want do more extracurricular stuff and I want to exercise and have some fun time for me and for my girls.

best of luck to you! and believe me, I'm not leaving these boards - I love it here!

I do include looking at the DVD lesson guide to find our lesson number as well as checking checking to see if I need to be handing out any quizzes or tests, collect any work and then popping in the DVD in the 60 minutes.:001_smile:

Thanks for the BJU times;). My ds would never love the ABeka lessons and I'm always interested in our options.

Gee, that is longer than BJU!

With BJU everything except Highschool Math & Science is 30 minutes, they tell you to expect double the viewing time for the work (there are 15 minute classes in elementary level). High School Math and Science are 45 minutes - those are "live" classes for some schools.

Edited by Tammyla