Menu

Time once again to discuss post-game snacks.

Spring soccer is upon us and that once again raises the subject of post-game snacks. I am one who would prefer snacks not be provided at all. In most cases the snacks are primarily junk, but even if they're relatively healthy, who's to say all the children can eat what's provided. (Mine can, by the way, but it seems an increasing number of kids do have dietary restrictions.) It also isn't as if these kids are genuinely in need of sustenance after playing sports for a bit. I actually hear some people say, "These guys deserve a treat!" (or whatever) and I have trouble wrapping my brain around that kind of mentality.

So, okay, I'm not into the snack scene. Fine. My question for those who are on that same page is, how do you respond when other parents take it upon themselves to set up a snack schedule? This happens primarily among the parents of younger children. Kinda ironic, since the pre-teens and teens see more action and are in general hungrier. But I think a lot of people with older kids have moved past the need to provide treats. Plus some of us have 3, 4, or more kids playing in the league, and providing snacks to all these teams would be a bit much.

But back to having a snack schedule thrust at you. Do you just cave and sign up? Or conveniently forget to sign up? Or openly decline to sign up (in which case, one almost feels as if you should make sure your own child doesn't partake of the snacks)? What's your approach?

This is where having the coach being your husband comes in REALLY handy! Starting last year, he declared that 11-13 year old boys didn't need a "snack" after playing baseball for 75 minutes! Water? Yes! Gatorade? Possibly, after a mid-day game in mid-late May Georgia heat. But Oreos and Doritos? Nope!

Nobody started a snack schedule last season, and that was fine. We'll see how this season goes, starting a week from Tuesday! :)

As team mom for my 8yo's soccer team, I've never encountered this situation. I will say though that usually we have 12 kids on the team and not as many games. So, if they pass around a snack schedule you may not have an issue any way. I do take into consideration people who have large families or are having a rough time financially and "skip" them by saying we just don't have enough games for every one to bring snacks. In our league, as team mom, I just set up a snack schedule and assign days. No one has ever complained and the parents actually prefer this versus having to sign up, etc. If there's a conflict, the parents work it out amongst themselves.

I personally am not against snacks. I do understand your POV though and feel for the situation you're in. In our league as the kids get older there's just oranges at half time and a gatorade after. Right now we add a little bag of cookies (100 calorie packs) or something similar to the gatorade.

If you have a good relationship with your coach I would bring up your feelings on the snack situation with him/her and perhaps a vote can be put forth to the other parents and possibly do away with snacks all together.

I've been team mom for 7 seasons now.

HTH

Goodness, has it been a year already? :)

Hate junky snacks. (And my kids usually decline.) I usually participate, but bring acceptable-to-me snacks and WATER. In a big jug cooler. I suppose I'd like to go all Filter-less on them, and tell them how utterly stoooopid following up minutes worth of (usually intermittent) exercise with a pound of sugar washed down by sugar water really really *is*, but...meh. Not worth the energy and fuss and hard feelings.

Edited by Andie

I didn't sign up. I just didn't and no one asked me to. There was a snack schedule, but there were 10 games plus a tournament, and 15 kids on my son's team, 13 on my dd's, so even though I didn't sign up, there were still enough others to have snacks after most games. I think it is rediculous and do not want to be bothered. I have been vocal about it in the past, so I guess my cries were finally heard. I say don't sign up.

I have been pleasantly surprised as Luke is moving to club soccer that the club team doesn't do snacks. The boys bring water. That's it.

As for the rec team, I just go with the flow. I've just decided that it's not something I'm willing to challenge 11 other families about. When it's my turn I bring something healthy, but otherwise I've just decided not to choose that particular battle.

It would be nice to not always be the bad guy. But since the kids get crappy snacks everywhere, including SUNDAY SCHOOL, I get to be the bad guy and say no the rest of the time.

But I'm not bitter.

but it really irks me. It's just not something I'm willing to fight. It seems I am always swimming against the tide as it is. I'll just roll with the snacks. When a coach asks opinions on snacks I always voice my "no" but I'm always overuled. Sometimes I protest by bringing something healthy. Other times I just bring the cheapest thing I can get by with.

Anyone want to talk about trophies? That's right up there with snacks for me.

Marie

I'm totally w/ you on this one. Last year I just told them that my dc would not be participating. I mentioned that they had some problems w/ HFCS beyond just getting hyper. I compensated (so the dc wouldn't feel left out) by letting each of them choose a non hfcs snack w/ juice to take along as their snack. I felt kinda bad because I noticed that on my dd's team, every. single. snack they brought was hfcs free, and fairly healthy, ie water and trail mix type stuff! :tongue_smilie:

This year I just said the heck w/ it and participated.

All this to say that if you really don't want to participate, then don't. It's ok, really!

I participate but I don't like it.

I take the least junky snack I can buy, usually pretzels or natural granola bars or fruit, and bottles of water or 100% juice packs. I have actually had children say to me: "That's all there is?" or "Do you have any cookies?":glare:

I also don't let my kids eat the snacks others bring unless it is 100% juice and all food free of artificial colors, flavors, corn syrup, and PHO's. They can take one if they want to and say thank you, and then when we get in the car they can trade it in for one of our alternatives (not that I think they need a snack afterwards; it irks me that snack would be expected because it is always RIGHT before dinner, anyway. But at least they don't have to feel left out in front of their friends).

I know I won't be able to do that forever, but with young children whose behavior is worsened by sugary and artificial junk food, I am not willing to put up with the aftermath of these "snacks". ;)

I just don't get it, really. What is so hard about taking along a snack for your own children? Why do we have to take turns? (This is about where I'd really start ranting in the car on the way home and DH would start laughing at me). :D

Edited by Penelope

Um, yeah, who thought that one up? Even my 5 year old last year figured out that when every single kid got a trophy, no one really won anything. :lol:

Or when your child has been playing for 10 seasons... what am I supposed to do REALLY with all these junk trophies??? The kids don't even care about them because they know they don't mean anything!

Thanks for the replies.:) My husband is coaching my oldest son's team, so that one's easy. I don't think snacks are going to come up on my 11 year old's team, either. But my next two guys (9 and 6 year olds) are still in that age bracket wherein moms love to organize snacks. In both those cases, a mom from each team sent an email to all the parents, asking us to "reply to all" indicating the date on which we'll bring snacks. Both teams are small, so there are just the number of players as there are games. In other words, it'll be pretty obvious if I opt out. And it does make it weird when these other moms distribute snacks, kwim? I wish all of you were my fellow soccer moms!:D

Anyone want to talk about trophies? That's right up there with snacks for me.

Marie

I found a compromise on this one. Since the league wanted all of the parents to pay to give the kids trophies, we weren't going to get out of it. So, I asked if I could arrange the "trophies" for our team. I found someone who would sell me silver charm bracelets at a discount since I was buying 20 of them at once. I also bought from them (also at a discount since I ordered in bulk) 20 soccer charms with the year engraved on the back. The bracelets ended up costing less apiece than the "cheap" trophies, and the girls liked them so much more. We moved after that season, but apparently that coach has kept-up the tradition and buys the girls a new, dated soccer charm each year they participate on his team to add to their bracelets. My daughter still has hers and has added charms for other activities that she has participated in as a kind of scrapbook of her activities.

Something the kids loved was when one coach (who was anti-trophy) printed up certifcates on her computer recognizing each one for a particular skill (most coachable, hardest worker, fastest runner, best defender, etc.) She even had the nerve to hand out an MVP. The kids loved it. If anyone was upset about one player being singled out as MVP I didn't notice. The MVP was obvious and the kids are smart enough to know it and handle it.

Another ds played baseball for the husband of this coach and he did the same thing and it went over great with a different set of kids. The younger set of kids all got a "most improved ______" and the more experienced kids got "best defensive player, best baserunner, etc."

The kids really liked it. They had something to take pride in because it was true and the coach had taken the time to acknowledge something about each player. The kids ranged in age from 5-8 and every one of them could handle it.

Okay- back to ranting about snacks, which I'm happy to do.

Marie

I'm a "no snack" mom, too. When my dh coaches we don't have snacks. When he isn't the coach, though, I'll sign up and bring orange slices. One time a mom saw my orange snack and went to her van and brought back heavily frosted chocolate cupcakes and passed them out...it was 8:30 am!

Carolyn

That would eliminate the problem and everyone gets what they are used to and what parents are comfortable with.

We used to have to do the snack thing too. It's been a couple of years here but I caved in and provided carrots, grapes and water bottles. Then my son told me I had to have something like a granola bar - so we threw that in too.

If I had to do it again, I would submit above proposal and see where it goes.

I'm a "no snack" mom, too. When my dh coaches we don't have snacks. When he isn't the coach, though, I'll sign up and bring orange slices. One time a mom saw my orange snack and went to her van and brought back heavily frosted chocolate cupcakes and passed them out...it was 8:30 am!

Carolyn

Yikes!...and how rude of her to supplement your snacks!

What is it about soccer Moms that not only do they believe that every child needs a snack after a game, but that it has to be junky and heavily on consumer waste? It's just so stupid and annoying.

But my kids liked it so when they were young, I just participated.

Now that they are older, I think I would at least state my case against it. I did that with Sunday School - I just refuse to serve the kids a snack. They don't need a snack during the 45 minutes they are with me, two have allergies, and I just don't think it's necessary or wise. The difference is, I teach Sunday School so I get the decide that. I don't want to be the "team Mom" so I feel less able to make my case against it. Maybe you should be team Mom, and then eliminate the basic team Mom duties of planning a party and making a snack list?

This is our first "soccer year" with 3 kids. So far, only 1 team has mentioned snacks. I think they said they're for halftime, actually (instead of after the game). :confused:

We were told to bring apple slices, orange slices, or bananas... small Gatorades, etc for everyone. Nothing heavy or junky. So, I'm okay with it.

Now - to see what the other two teams want us to do...

I found a compromise on this one. Since the league wanted all of the parents to pay to give the kids trophies, we weren't going to get out of it. So, I asked if I could arrange the "trophies" for our team. I found someone who would sell me silver charm bracelets at a discount since I was buying 20 of them at once. I also bought from them (also at a discount since I ordered in bulk) 20 soccer charms with the year engraved on the back. The bracelets ended up costing less apiece than the "cheap" trophies, and the girls liked them so much more. We moved after that season, but apparently that coach has kept-up the tradition and buys the girls a new, dated soccer charm each year they participate on his team to add to their bracelets. My daughter still has hers and has added charms for other activities that she has participated in as a kind of scrapbook of her activities.

I LOVE this idea!! Not that I'm coaching any soccer teams - but that's a great idea to start for my girls - what a great "scrapbook" keepsake (and it doesn't take up space like those ugly trophies do! ROFLOL!)

One time a mom saw my orange snack and went to her van and brought back heavily frosted chocolate cupcakes and passed them out...

Yep, I've experienced similar scenarios. Muffins and orange slices apparently don't qualify as a snack to some folks.:tongue_smilie:

I don't want to be the "team Mom" so I feel less able to make my case against it. Maybe you should be team Mom, and then eliminate the basic team Mom duties of planning a party and making a snack list?

There are no team moms; I've never even heard that term before reading this thread. Suffice it to say, though, I'd happily defer to you as team mom ~ or Sunday School teacher.;)

We start AYSO this fall.

And I've got a feeling we are going to be the problem parents.:001_huh:

But we simply won't let other people give our child the sugary **** they feed their own kids. And I'm not afraid to let them know what I think (with a big smile on my face) but with steeled resolve.

You have kids run around and exercise, and then you poison them? No. Not going to happen.

Bill

Out here our AYSO has magnets with guidelines for healthy snacks to bring, because OF COURSE you must bring snack.

Out of curiousity, what is AYSO? Associated Youth Sports Organization...? (venturing an educated guess)

One year my son's team had snack for PRACTICES too. And practice was at 5 p.m. Ugh.

Yep, btdt. Several years ago there was a gal who organized snacks for practices (which, as you said, took place right before dinner), as well as half-times and post-games. Believe it or not, TWO parents were assigned to each snack duty. She said she wanted to make sure she didn't leave anyone out. Bless her heart.;)

Anyone want to talk about trophies?

Marie

Just say no to cheap plastic trophies!

Our sport is baseball, but I imagine the issues are the same with all youth sports.

Last year we used Blurb to make a photo book for each of the boys on my husband's team in lieu of a trophy. It was exceptionally well received by all the parents. A number of them ordered extra copies for family.

Hey, Colleen, you were on my mind tonight. We were at the Sounders FC inaugural game, and I was thinking of you and your band of soccer players.

This came up last spring with our soccer club. I don't at all agree with the junk that got passed off as "snacks" even when there was a clear written statement that snacks were to be "healthy." I brought up that the word "healthy" needed to be more clearly defined or that we should consider that the kids didn't need food snacks at all.

After brief discussion, it was apparent that I wasn't the only one who didn't think fruit roll-ups and chocolate coated granola bars were healthy snacks either, not to mention cupcakes and cookies.

So, we agreed to no snack foods. Each child was to bring along his/her own water bottle with the drink of their choice, and the coach would bring a big cooler of plain old H20 for everyone.

I would suggest trying to bring it to a discussion BEFORE the season starts up. It was worth it to open up a dialogue on just what a bad eating example the whole "snack" thing was making for the kids. I believe the junk food completely negates the exercise benefits. You're essentially saying "Here little Johnny, if you go do something really good for you, I'll give you something really bad for you." As parents, I think we owe them better than that. Thankfully, there were enough other parents who either agreed with that premise, or were tired of bringing snacks, and we were able to put an end to it.

Just say no to cheap plastic trophies!

I do appreciate that we've never had to deal with trophies.

Hey, Colleen, you were on my mind tonight. We were at the Sounders FC inaugural game, and I was thinking of you and your band of soccer players.

We would have loved to be there, too, but there was no way we could afford it. I'm glad they're now willing to sell partial season packages and individual game tix; some of my guys will probaby go to next Saturday's game. We had the satellite turned on yesterday (and turned off today!) so we could watch the opener. So fun to start out with a win!

if there must be snacks, i prefer a schedule. however, when ds was 14 i drew the line at purchasing trophies. our favorite soccer coach has an uber team mom for a wife. her organization is wonderful but her gung ho for trophies is unstoppable. my son concurred that buying a trophy was meaningless; still it/he still felt weird at the end of the season party when every other player got a trophy but him.

as for what to do with all the trophies my son has collected since age 4 - last year he allowed me to pry the name/season/team/year plates off each trophy and dump the rest. eventually i will put all the plates in one nice frame. i think he kept three intact trophies that were particularly nice or meaningful to him.

I haven't read every reply, but I would have to say, just do your part. Do it with Colleen-flair... meaning, bring healthy snacks... maybe you will start a trend? I think you're in a good spot, since you don't have to sign up on the snack list for all of your boys. I hear where you're coming from, though, I don't think they need anything more than access to water provided by the team, unless it's a tournament or double header, but in that case, stuff from home is best.

When my youngers played league tennis, there was the snack scene complete with schedules. Started off junky, but after the Saturday that I brought water, whole apples and cheese sticks, a few other moms followed suit in following weeks. It was only a small revolution, but it made me feel like I did what I could. It's true that some kids looked at me as though I had surely forgotten the cookies, but it was their choice to take or not. Apples and cheese sticks are something I don't mind having leftovers from! My kids often pass on the junky stuff, but, being kids, they do sometimes eat it. The sugary drinks really get me, where is the common sense in that?

As for trophies, ditto, ditto, what is the point? The kids are not stupid, those good at sports look at equilateral trophies with disdain, and those who know they give a shoddy effort can sense the sham as well.

Has anyone mentioned the no-keeping-score leagues? We did one soccer league that did not keep score for the younger ages (up to age 6) and that was a real joke. Every kid on the team knew the score and knew who won, but the parents were to pretend they didn't? What a joke! That was our one and only season in that league.

Has anyone mentioned the no-keeping-score leagues? We did one soccer league that did not keep score for the younger ages (up to age 6) and that was a real joke. Every kid on the team knew the score and knew who won, but the parents were to pretend they didn't? What a joke! That was our one and only season in that league.

I don't know about this. Last fall my son played in a very low-key homeschool league. They didn't keep score in his age group (under 6) and after every single game he told me his team won. I watched the games. They didn't. :) But I was happy that he thought his team was the best. These kids were all pretty clueless first time soccer players though, I can imagine next year it will be different.

As for snacks, I'd probably reluctantly sign up and bring healthy stuff my week. But I haven't really been in the whole kids' sports society long enough to be annoyed by stuff like this yet. Give me a few years. :) We were lucky that our league had team moms that brought snacks for every game. His team moms were smart and brought reasonably healthy things. Although at one game C5's team all got little bags of grapes and pretzels after the game and looked over to the other team getting these HUGE mega-decorated cupcakes. Their little faces were so sad. I was happy that our team moms didn't cave the next game....they still brought the healthy stuff. And the kids were happy.

My DH is the coach. Both teams have team moms who are into snacks. We don't participate. As the coach's wife, I am not expected to bring snack. So my kids just say no thank you.

As for trophies, we only get them when out team wins the championship or are runners up. Then the Y provides medals. My husband usually gives each child a picture from a game and another soccer related item. We have done size 1 balls, sweet spots (for a team that couldn't keep their shoes tied) and hackey sacks.

I sign up and bring something we would enjoy. When my kids are offered junk...They take it and we dump it at home.

You should have seen my dd's ballet bag at the end of the year...It was full of lolly pops, tootsie rolls, gumballs and more. We just learned it was gracious to accept the gift... say thank you and move on. Kind of like the junk birthday gifts...;) We just say thank you and donate or dump them.

Oh, good grief. This little issue is one reason why I'm so very grateful not have to be involved with school activities. There are inevitably moms who feel oh-so-good about "helping" and organizing this, that, and the other ~ and God help you if you're not on board.:tongue_smilie:

I offered a very brief email reply and simply said that I prefer we not do team snacks. That was it. No speech about why I don't like it, no soapbox or anything of the sort. Just a general, "Can we maybe not?" kinda thing.

Well.

That clearly didn't go over well with this one gal. She replied to us all and said she was simply trying to HELP the coach, who is very busy. (Not sure why this is a help, since the coach has no obligation whatsoever to take care of snacks.) She went on to say that in past seasons, all the kids seemed to really love the variety of snacks; no one has to participate if they don't want to; this is supposed to be something fun; her family is going to bring snacks tomorrow but we certainly don't have to take them ~ yada yada yada. "I'm going to HELP and feel good about it whether you people like it or not!":D

Good luck to those of you who have years of this ahead of you.;)

Oh, good grief. This little issue is one reason why I'm so very grateful not have to be involved with school activities. There are inevitably moms who feel oh-so-good about "helping" and organizing this, that, and the other ~ and God help you if you're not on board.:tongue_smilie:

I offered a very brief email reply and simply said that I prefer we not do team snacks. That was it. No speech about why I don't like it, no soapbox or anything of the sort. Just a general, "Can we maybe not?" kinda thing.

Well.

That clearly didn't go over well with this one gal. She replied to us all and said she was simply trying to HELP the coach, who is very busy. (Not sure why this is a help, since the coach has no obligation whatsoever to take care of snacks.) She went on to say that in past seasons, all the kids seemed to really love the variety of snacks; no one has to participate if they don't want to; this is supposed to be something fun; her family is going to bring snacks tomorrow but we certainly don't have to take them ~ yada yada yada. "I'm going to HELP and feel good about it whether you people like it or not!":D

Good luck to those of you who have years of this ahead of you.;)

You could get lucky and the snack will be "white bean soup" :D

Or barbecued monkey :tongue_smilie:

Bill