Menu

Women leading public prayer

In general, no problem with women leading prayer groups or what not.

Women should not lead the public recitation/chanting of the Divine Office or Liturgy of the Hours unless we're talking about a convent of nuns or similar arrangement. The presence of a mitered abbess would wholly mitigate this, as she would be due the dignity of a bishop if I'm not mistaken, but that might only be within her abbey.

Women may not, under any circumstances, lead/celebrate the Divine Liturgy or the Mass, as they cannot validly receive Ordination in either the Eastern or Western Churches.

I have no problem with women leading prayers. To repeat some previous posters, in our church, men, women, children are all welcome and encouraged to lead in prayer; our denomination also ordains women preachers - again, that is fine with me. :)

In general, no problem with women leading prayer groups or what not.

Women should not lead the public recitation/chanting of the Divine Office or Liturgy of the Hours unless we're talking about a convent of nuns or similar arrangement. The presence of a mitered abbess would wholly mitigate this, as she would be due the dignity of a bishop if I'm not mistaken, but that might only be within her abbey.

Women may not, under any circumstances, lead/celebrate the Divine Liturgy or the Mass, as they cannot validly receive Ordination in either the Eastern or Western Churches.

:iagree::iagree: I cannot state this any better, so i will just whole heartedly agree!

Guest Katia

I have no problem with women leading in public prayer.

At 49yo, it is interesting that I grew up in a church where "in Christ there is no male or female", and it wasn't until I was in my 30's and began homeschooling that I became aware that there were people/religions that thought women shouldn't occupy 'men' roles and were actually offended by such. That is so totally foreign to me.

In our church we "reach our hands to every blood-washed one", be they child, male, female, or any other denomination; it just doesn't matter if they are saved by the blood of Jesus.

I serve in a House of Prayer and I prayer lead several hours a week. Most of the prayer leaders are women and most of the worship leaders are men. The worship leader is in charge of the music and the prayer leader prays. I also sing as part of a worship team for an hour a week.

I have no problem with women leading in public prayer.

At 49yo, it is interesting that I grew up in a church where "in Christ there is no male or female", and it wasn't until I was in my 30's and began homeschooling that I became aware that there were people/religions that thought women shouldn't occupy 'men' roles and were actually offended by such. That is so totally foreign to me.

:iagree: I've learned about all kinds of different Christian groups and beliefs through homeschooling communities such as this one...and I was raised Christian! :)

How do you feel about that? Does your church have women lead public prayer? If you have a liturgy like a "prayers of the people" that is lead by lay people, do women serve in that role? Do you like or dislike it when they do?

Just curious.

Women read the prayers of the people in our church. Our deacon (female) used to read the prayers of the people, but now a lay person (usually female) fills the role. Our church also has two female priests.

At the church I previously attended, I sometimes read the prayers of the people, and I was also a lay eucharistic minister (communion server). So I guess I would have to say I think it's just fine that women serve as prayer readers. :D

I'm Methodist, also. Our pastor is female so I'm very comfortable with it. In fact, I'd feel uncomfortable in a church where my prayers weren't valued because I was a female. JMO

Tori

As a Free Methodist, based on Wesleyan doctrine, I completely agree.

Blessings,

Lucinda