Menu

HUGE decision to make!!!! HELP!!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GO! You can always come home if you hate it. One year (I assume a one year contract?) is nothing in the big scheme of life. Of course, the military wife in me says to tell you to give it at least two years even if you hate it the first. It takes me at least 18 months in a new place to hit my stride.

Good luck! What a great opportunity!

Part of me thinks "Well, it is a Christian school which is good and I doubt too many kids are going to mess with the principal's kids! :D" but if it didn't work out my dh could homeschool them while I work.

Oh and we do get medical and dental insurance for the whole family.

I'll share my perspective as a principal's kid; my dad was the principal of the Christian school I attended for junior high and high school. My brothers and I found it very hard at times. Yes, there were kids who did mess with us. There were some who would have thought it a great coup to get us in trouble, and there were some who picked on us out of vengeance.

There was also subtle pressure on us to tolerate bad behavior in order to have friends. No one wants to be friends with the principal's kid if they think you're going to narc them out to your dad. Yes, this was a Christian school and most of the kids were "good" kids from mainly decent families. If there was anyone among my friends who was doing drugs, for instance, I did not know it. But I did know about some sex issues and other lesser rebelliousness that my dad probably would have liked to know about so he could talk to the parents of the kids involved.

The climate at this school may be completely different, and your kids may be better equipped to handle any pressure they receive than we were.

A couple of other thoughts...is this school a boarding school? You mentioned MK's which is what made me wonder about whether they were from the immediate area or if they were in residence. If it is, you might need to find out what responsibility you have after hours in terms of supervising or subbing for houseparents or other staff.

As others have mentioned, I think you should talk to the departing principal if at all possible. Not to gossip, not to talk you out of it, but just for the sake of obtaining the most realistic picture possible of the issues involved.

I hope you don't think any of this is me raining on your parade. It sounds like a great opportunity, and you sound enthused and ready to meet the challenges. I'll be praying that you'll make a good decision.

I'll share my perspective as a principal's kid; my dad was the principal of the Christian school I attended for junior high and high school. My brothers and I found it very hard at times. Yes, there were kids who did mess with us. There were some who would have thought it a great coup to get us in trouble, and there were some who picked on us out of vengeance.

There was also subtle pressure on us to tolerate bad behavior in order to have friends. No one wants to be friends with the principal's kid if they think you're going to narc them out to your dad. Yes, this was a Christian school and most of the kids were "good" kids from mainly decent families. If there was anyone among my friends who was doing drugs, for instance, I did not know it. But I did know about some sex issues and other lesser rebelliousness that my dad probably would have liked to know about so he could talk to the parents of the kids involved.

The climate at this school may be completely different, and your kids may be better equipped to handle any pressure they receive than we were.

A couple of other thoughts...is this school a boarding school? You mentioned MK's which is what made me wonder about whether they were from the immediate area or if they were in residence. If it is, you might need to find out what responsibility you have after hours in terms of supervising or subbing for houseparents or other staff.

As others have mentioned, I think you should talk to the departing principal if at all possible. Not to gossip, not to talk you out of it, but just for the sake of obtaining the most realistic picture possible of the issues involved.

I hope you don't think any of this is me raining on your parade. It sounds like a great opportunity, and you sound enthused and ready to meet the challenges. I'll be praying that you'll make a good decision.

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I have wondered if that would be the case. If those sorts of things did happen then I would have my dh homeschool them.

Some of the kids are boarding students (about 20%) and the rest are local. I didn't read anywhere in the job description about subbing for dorm parents but I will DEFINITELY ask. Thanks!

This reminded me of something. As the principal the buck stops with you so to speak. In your position I would want to know how dorm parents are chosen and what their qualifications are. I would never want to supervise dorm parents who had not personally raised kids the age they were dorm parenting. Does that sentance even make sense? I have pretty strong opinions about dorm parents and as the principal if you end up with bad dorm parents then you get the fall out either because you have to deal with them or because you have to deal with the kids who have to live with them.

You can PM me if you want more specific details.

Actually, there is someone different that is in charge of the dorm parents ...the "residential life director". Thank goodness!

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice and questions to ask!! I made a big list from them and sent them to the director of the school and here is what I found out:

Salary- I found out it is actually more than I thought I would be making, 1/3 more! I was looking at the wrong chart.

Dh- will have the opportunity to be a substitute teacher (among other things)while he is there which is a fun idea since he loves kids!

The former principal- the director actually emailed me and asked me if I would like to speak with the current principal so I am going to call him Wednesday evening (it is kind of hard to schedule these calls since they are 13 hours ahead of us). And I am going to have a Ă¢â‚¬Å“conference callĂ¢â‚¬ with a group of teachers from there on Tuesday evening.

Contract length- 2 years typically but they Ă¢â‚¬Å“would likeĂ¢â‚¬ me to sign for 3. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to though. HmmmĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..2 or 3????

Decision- I have until the end of this month to make my decision (my request and they agreed)

Ă¢â‚¬Å“WesternĂ¢â‚¬ items- they sent me a list of things that are readily available and things that arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t. I appreciate that they are being up front about it. Apparently milk is expensive but seafood is dirt cheap (makes sense living on an island and all). I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know anything about what my family is allowed to mail to me and what is not allowed so I will have to look that up. I did look up on amazon.com that it takes them almost a month to get books to Malaysia!! Maybe I will get a KindleĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.:D

Electronic items- They have 240 voltage over there so most of my small kitchen appliances will not work without some kind of adapter. My other choice is to sell mine and buy new ones when I get there. ???? And my TVs wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t work eitherĂ¢â‚¬Â¦different signal so we will definitely sell those and get a new one (or we might just skip the TV all together as we donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t watch much anyways).

Cable/internet- both available in our home. YIPPEE! That is my one concern. If I have indoor plumbing and internet access I can handle pretty much anything else. :lol:

Bank account- we actually are required to keep our stateside account as apparently Malaysia will not give accounts to foreigners. My salary will be direct-deposited into that account and I get money from the ATM machines in Malaysia.

Cars- we will most likely sell ours and buy when/if we move back to the states.

Shipping my stuff -this I am still looking into

insurance- we have full medical and dental and I get life insurance (hubby has his own policy). There is med-evac insurance as well. Prescription meds are widely available although I do need to check on my specific meds.

I also found out that there is a piano teacher that comes to the school to give lessons and has been doing so for 20 years which is great since my kids take piano.

You have all been a huge help! Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice and questions to ask!! I made a big list from them and sent them to the director of the school and here is what I found out:

Salary- I found out it is actually more than I thought I would be making, 1/3 more! I was looking at the wrong chart.

Dh- will have the opportunity to be a substitute teacher (among other things)while he is there which is a fun idea since he loves kids!

The former principal- the director actually emailed me and asked me if I would like to speak with the current principal so I am going to call him Wednesday evening (it is kind of hard to schedule these calls since they are 13 hours ahead of us). And I am going to have a Ă¢â‚¬Å“conference callĂ¢â‚¬ with a group of teachers from there on Tuesday evening.

Contract length- 2 years typically but they Ă¢â‚¬Å“would likeĂ¢â‚¬ me to sign for 3. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to though. HmmmĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..2 or 3????

Decision- I have until the end of this month to make my decision (my request and they agreed)

Ă¢â‚¬Å“WesternĂ¢â‚¬ items- they sent me a list of things that are readily available and things that arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t. I appreciate that they are being up front about it. Apparently milk is expensive but seafood is dirt cheap (makes sense living on an island and all). I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know anything about what my family is allowed to mail to me and what is not allowed so I will have to look that up. I did look up on amazon.com that it takes them almost a month to get books to Malaysia!! Maybe I will get a KindleĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.:D

Electronic items- They have 240 voltage over there so most of my small kitchen appliances will not work without some kind of adapter. My other choice is to sell mine and buy new ones when I get there. ???? And my TVs wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t work eitherĂ¢â‚¬Â¦different signal so we will definitely sell those and get a new one (or we might just skip the TV all together as we donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t watch much anyways).

Cable/internet- both available in our home. YIPPEE! That is my one concern. If I have indoor plumbing and internet access I can handle pretty much anything else. :lol:

Bank account- we actually are required to keep our stateside account as apparently Malaysia will not give accounts to foreigners. My salary will be direct-deposited into that account and I get money from the ATM machines in Malaysia.

insurance- we have full medical and dental and I get life insurance (hubby has his own policy). There is med-evac insurance as well. Prescription meds are widely available although I do need to check on my specific meds.

I also found out that there is a piano teacher that comes to the school to give lessons and has been doing so for 20 years which is great since my kids take piano.

Oh, Heather, my head is spinning! :D Rest assured you have my prayers, friend, that God will most certainly guide you and direct you, counsel you and watch over you, instruct you and show you the way that you're to go!!!!

With Amazon.com do they say that it takes almost a month or have you spoken to someone? I ask because when I order from them they tell me 3-4 weeks but I have the items in 7-10 days. Given I live in europe but it might not actually take as long as they say (conversely it could take longer:glare:). I would check with the expat community:D

Keep a list somewhere handy for the next few weeks. Write down all the personal and professional questions you need to ask during all those phone calls.

Don't forget to ask the rest of the family to contribute questions.

As an aside-ask how often there is ATM fraud. Since that is your only way of getting cash. Also look into what this will cost you in fees with your bank. Keep in mind that they may have more of a cash economy there than credit.

Sounds like you are on top of the situation!

A couple of things we've dealt with:

1. mailing things: We have people who have mailed us stuff but it never got to us. We just really have had bad luck in getting things mailed. It works better for us to have it mailed to my parents in the US for them to ship to someone who is coming here to bring to us. You might want to check with the school if they use a certain shipping address to see if you are able to use it as well. We haven't had luck with our address here! Also, I'm not sure about Malaysia, but, we have to pay the customs for everything that is shipped to us. It's at their discretion what something costs, which can get pretty expensive! We've paid $30 to receive a package with a $8 dvd in it!

2. Banking here is a bunch of red-tape as well so we use our US account and work through ATM's. I would check with the bank to make sure you can get 2 different cards with different numbers. My purse has been stolen twice and we've had to replace our cards both times and it took a longer time than it does in the US. During that time, we didn't have access to our money. Kind of a bummer. It would have helped to have another card and just cancelled the one that was stolen.

We haven't had problems ourselves with ATM fraud, but, we have plenty of friends here who have. Make sure you know your bank's policies regarding replacing funds that have been stolen out of your account. What do you need to do to replace them? Also, check your account regularly online to make sure you see when things are happening that shouldn't. It has helped us to do that since we caught when someone was using our number to order online. When I use an ATM here, I don't leave that ATM until I see it return to the original user screen. That helps alot since before that, someone can access you account even without your card.

It sounds like a fantastic opportunity!!! How exciting for your family!!!

Those ATM questions are good ones...I'm going to have to talk to my bank!

The other issue is my cats. I can bring them but there is a ton of paperwork involved and a quarantine period. Plus, they say that pets sometimes do not handle the climate change very well (85 degrees and up with 90-100% humidity). So that concerns me.... Anyone take pets abroad before???

Can you arrange to buy the items you need (TV, kitchen appliances, car) from the outgoing principal.

That's how missionary folks in my parents group do it. Have him make up a list with prices and you can let him know which you want. He'll probably be grateful for your business and you wont' have to scrounge. You probably can buy alot of his stuff and ship what you need to supplement.

How long will it take for your shipment to reach Malyasia--plan ahead and ship it earlier than your departure.

My folks took waterbeds to Africa rather than ship regular mattresses. Mattresses & pillows tend to mildew & molder and older ones already there can be hard to use until you're nose is no longer picky. My folks also had a water heater for their bed because it did get cold even in the tropics. Just a thought. It was alot less for shipping because we just filled them with water when we got there. People always wanted to stay at our house. :D

I honestly can not imagine accepting a job offer ~ regardless of the locale and benefits ~ without first visiting my future home firsthand. I would want to get a feel for the working environment, people, and place in general.

I know what you mean...I wish it were possible but there is not enough time or money for me to fly to Malaysia right now. :001_unsure: Dh and I are praying about this constantly and I just have to believe if God brings me to it He will bring me through it. As long as I approach this with the attitude that my main goal is to give honor and glory to God in all I say and do including this new potential position, then I am doing the right thing. But I'm still nervous. :tongue_smilie:

I did look up on amazon.com that it takes them almost a month to get books to Malaysia!! Maybe I will get a Kindle….:D

They say the same for Australia and my parcels usually turn up in less than a fortnight. Don't let that stop you buying your Kindle though ;)

We've paid $30 to receive a package with a $8 dvd in it!

Yes, you don't get free shipping from Amazon outside the US so bulk buy! If you click on the option to ship in the least amount of packages they'll send you as many packages as is convenient for them, but you won't pay the extra shipping you'd have if you'd clicked the speedier options.

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I know what you mean...I wish it were possible but there is not enough time or money for me to fly to Malaysia right now. :001_unsure: Dh and I are praying about this constantly and I just have to believe if God brings me to it He will bring me through it. As long as I approach this with the attitude that my main goal is to give honor and glory to God in all I say and do including this new potential position, then I am doing the right thing. But I'm still nervous. :tongue_smilie:

That's a good attitude, Heather. I admit, though, that I would expect the school, as your potential employer, to fly you out there for a visit. That's pretty much standard operating procedure, kwim? Have you asked them about it?

Maybe I will get a KindleĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.:D

Hate to break it to you, but unless you download all your books before you leave the US, the Kindle won't work in Malaysia. Us Canadians (right next door) can't get it. We can't even download the kindle ebooks to our ipods with the new app...not available outside the US.

We moved to the US for five years and then back to Canada. We faced significant tax issues, although if your salary is being paid in the US, it may not be a problem. I'd get some tax advice before you leave.

This sounds like a terrific opportunity! Best wishes in the decision-making process and for peace with whatever direction you elect.

Janet

You will probably feel lots better once you have those phone calls. Just write down every question and concern you can think of (argue in your mind against going, to come up with more food for thought), and make the most of your phone calls. And you have a few weeks to make your decision, right? Lots of correspondence can give you a pretty good feel, anyway, I think. Lots of people uproot themselves and go live elsewhere without having been there before. Sounds like your dh is adventurous and you are both in it together - you'll probably do fine making your decision. How did you come across this job, anyway?

Hate to break it to you, but unless you download all your books before you leave the US, the Kindle won't work in Malaysia. Us Canadians (right next door) can't get it. We can't even download the kindle ebooks to our ipods with the new app...not available outside the US.

We moved to the US for five years and then back to Canada. We faced significant tax issues, although if your salary is being paid in the US, it may not be a problem. I'd get some tax advice before you leave.

This sounds like a terrific opportunity! Best wishes in the decision-making process and for peace with whatever direction you elect.

Janet

I knew it wouldn't work wirelessly but can't you hook it to your computer and download books through the internet with a USB cable? We will have an internet connection. Or am I completely off-base on this? I better go look this up...

Get yourself, and the extended family you will be leaving behind in the States hooked up with Skype (including little web-cams). That way you can have video tele-conferences virtually "free". It cuts out the cost of international phone calls and is a great way to keep in touch.

I'm excited for you!!!

Bill

I think ovens are not typically used/available. Friends in Singapore use a toaster oven for a little baking I believe.

My bil's wife is from Malaysia. We've never been there, but I know BIL says in many ways it is like a 3rd world country. I'm very much a home body and not really the adventurous type, but I would have lots of trouble committing to live there for two or three years sight unseen. BIL and wife are on a two-year assignment in China, and it's tough. They arrived in Chengdu the day before the earthquake and have had to learn to live with aftershocks. With tainted milk issues they've dropped all dairy from their diet. The pollution gets to them. I'm not saying you will have these issues, but you will have some issues. But like I said, I'm risk-averse; for others I'm sure that's just part of the adventure.

I honestly can not imagine accepting a job offer ~ regardless of the locale and benefits ~ without first visiting my future home firsthand. I would want to get a feel for the working environment, people, and place in general.

Yes, I agree with this. I wouldn't think that it would be possible to fully envision what this would all be like, never having been there. I mean, I felt like I was going out on a limb joining our *co-op* without ever having visited! :tongue_smilie: And sure enough, it was much different from the way I envisioned it.

I can't imagine taking on such an enormous change in life for my entire family, without ever having even been in that culture at all, let alone been familiar specifically with the workplace, co-workers, school, community, etc. It's just HUGE, and to jump in fully committed without ever having spent time there, and not only that, but to take my entire family with me sight unseen... I just would not be comfortable with that. I would either ask the school to pay for the trip, or find the funds somewhere to make it happen, if I really felt that this could be a good possibility.

Also, I don't know if this was discussed in the other thread, but have you been in a principal-type position before, Heather? I was just thinking that that would be a very demanding position with a large amount of responsibility, and I know that at this point in my life, while raising children, I would not feel comfortable with that much responsibility in the workplace, especially coupled with all the challenges of adapting to a totally new culture, and helping my family adapt. It would admittedly be too much for me. I'm thinking that you have chosen to homeschool for some reason... and I'm wondering how choosing to send your children to school, and devote the majority of your time daily to running a school instead, fits with your values regarding parenting, education, family time, etc. You may well be up for it, and it may work for your family, but I would definitely spend time thinking if this is the way you want to spend your days while raising your children.

Edited by Erica in PA

Yes, I agree with this. I wouldn't think that it would be possible to fully envision what this would all be like, never having been there. I mean, I felt like I was going out on a limb joining our *co-op* without ever having visited! :tongue_smilie: And sure enough, it was much different from the way I envisioned it.

I can't imagine taking on such an enormous change in life for my entire family, without ever having even been in that culture at all, let alone been familiar specifically with the workplace, co-workers, school, community, etc. It's just HUGE, and to jump in fully committed without ever having spent time there, and not only that, but to take my entire family with me sight unseen... I just would not be comfortable with that. I would either ask the school to pay for the trip, or find the funds somewhere to make it happen, if I really felt that this could be a good possibility.

Also, I don't know if this was discussed in the other thread, but have you been in a principal-type position before, Heather? I was just thinking that that would be a very demanding position with a large amount of responsibility, and I know that at this point in my life, while raising children, I would not feel comfortable with that much responsibility in the workplace, especially coupled with all the challenges of adapting to a totally new culture, and helping my family adapt. It would admittedly be too much for me. I'm thinking that you have chosen to homeschool for some reason... and I'm wondering how choosing to send your children to school, and devote the majority of your time daily to running a school instead, fits with your values regarding parenting, education, family time, etc. You may well be up for it, and it may work for your family, but I would definitely spend time thinking if this is the way you want to spend your days while raising your children.

Thank you for all the thoughtful questions. I am definitely the adventurous type...I have a "wanderlust" and a desire to see as much of God's big world before I die as possible. My dh is the same way and my kids love going new places so I guess we are all made for each other! :D

It would be great to see the place beforehand but it is not possible. I have lots of friends and relatives in the military who are moved all around the globe without getting to visit the place first so I guess it's not that uncommon. But I am trying to research as much as possible so I don't go in blind, ya know?

And yes, I am in an administrative position right now in a large school district. I have always worked full time with the exception of two years. I work days and dh works afternoons which is how we manage to homeschool as well. I am a little hesitant to put them in school but if they don't like it, it is legal in Malaysia for them to stay home and do lessons with their dad like they do now.

Our family is a kind of high-speed, action-packed family...always has been. So the schedule will not be a big change for us...just the location. It is exciting and scary at the same time!

The only down side that I can see is that you won't have time to be with us as much!!!

It sounds awesome and we would do it in a heartbeat!

I promise to make time...you'll just be in bed sleeping when I do as I'll be 13 hours ahead of you. Hey does that mean I'll know what happens on American Idol before you all do? :lol:

Get yourself, and the extended family you will be leaving behind in the States hooked up with Skype (including little web-cams). That way you can have video tele-conferences virtually "free". It cuts out the cost of international phone calls and is a great way to keep in touch.

I'm excited for you!!!

Bill

Very, very inexpensive. My dh wants us to get a web cam (along with the skype) so he won't forget what we look like while he's out on the ranch during calving. I don't THINK so :tongue_smilie:. I mean, then he would know just how long I'm in my PJ's everyday!!

Go Heather!! I've been lurking on these "Malaysia" threads, and wondering what it would be like to have such a COOL opportunity!! Please, please, please, let us all live vicariously through you as you pursue this adventure!!

It sounds exciting Heather.

We moved to the UAE without having even checking out the place 1st- its very common for people not to be able to come for a recreational 1st.

There are some aspects that have been hard to deal with, such as red tape....BUT - that is all part of the experience.

There are plenty of things I thought I couldn't live without, or certain standards of housing etc that I wouldn't sacrifice....but I was wrong.

This is an adventure.

Im proud of who we have become, and proud of how we have dealt with the little challenges we have been dealt.

Life as an expat is how you make it.

We came with no expectations, with open minds, with a desire to immerse ourselves in this fabulous culture, and to explore our days here like tomorrow was our last day to do so.

If you think your life will exactly the same as in the States..then you will be in for a shock, but if you are prepared to take it for what it is- a fabulous opportunity to step outside of your comfort zone- then do it!

Have fun!

Edited by sgilli3

I've got friends who moved to Kuala Lumpa for work 2 years ago. They love it up there and have a great lifestyle as cost of living is a lot cheaper. It took about 6 months before they felt settled but now have no plans for moving back to Australia, you just have to get out and meet people and make social connections.

I would grasp this opportunity and enjoy the experience, I work in ICU and have seen how life can change in a split second. If something devastating happened to me or my family I would hate to look back and see only a safe boring life. At the end of the day it is only for 2 years and if you really hate it you know there is an end point to it, but I think you will have an amazing time and the opportunity to give your children an incredible experience.

\\

Obviously I don't know how much you will be making, but above a certain level, you start to have to pay taxes to the US government on overseas earnings.

Laura

WOW...you ladies are FILLED with awesome information! I had to laugh about the celsius comment because that was one of the first things I noticed and mentioned to dh: "We're going to need to do a unit on the metric system!" I am a little embarassed to admit that I know virtually nothing about it.

And yes we can homeschool if we choose. We are only thinking of putting the kids in the school where I will be the principal as a way for them to assimilate better into their new "homeland" and meet friends but if it doesn't work out I will pull them out.

And thank you for the tax info. I'll keep my eye on that.

Kate, I love your perspective on just taking a chance with an open mind. While there are a few things I am hoping will be the same (like internet and indoor plumbing) I am actually looking forward to the "differences".

Maplinmum, thank you for your perspective as well. Life IS short!

Now, how to tell my mom? That's the tricky thing!

WOW...you ladies are FILLED with awesome information! I had to laugh about the celsius comment because that was one of the first things I noticed and mentioned to dh: "We're going to need to do a unit on the metric system!" I am a little embarassed to admit that I know virtually nothing about it.

For converting Fahrenheit to Celsius use this site http://www.onlineconversion.com/ ;)

Or just Google "95F to C"

For instance it is currently 18C in our home and feels jolly cold after a long hot summer. So I Googled 18C to F and I can tell you that that is 64.4F.

I'm a lazy convertor. Dr. Google does it all to me. You can do the same for currency and any measurement conversion.