Menu

Please recommend some water bottles for carrying our water to sports events...

We go through way too many plastic water bottles a week and I am looking to get our family water bottles to take to their sports programs and other activities. Here is one I found:

http://www.kleankanteen.com/

Any other suggestions?

Since you just put the manufacture site, which you can order from, I thought I'd mention that we sell these:-)

http://www.silvercreekoutdoor.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

There are SIGG bottles, too, that are aluminum. Those are the other really popular water bottles. Klean Kanteens are stainless steel; my son 5...prefers the 18oz and my other children and I prefer the 27oz. We all like the sports cap best.

Carrie:-)

and for those of us who happily use plastic, we LOVE re-using the Gatorade sport-top/ twist top bottles. The kids tie ropes for handles around them, label them w/ permanent marker art, and freeze them half-full of water. We have forgotten so many water bottles out and about I'd hate to lose a nice SS one, but I have picked up a couple at thrift stores that make the losing a bit easier to swallow. Since i hate the taste of water, period, and my kids don't care, i can't factor that in as a consideration for us.

Good luck!

and for those of us who happily use plastic, we LOVE re-using the Gatorade sport-top/ twist top bottles. The kids tie ropes for handles around them, label them w/ permanent marker art, and freeze them half-full of water. We have forgotten so many water bottles out and about I'd hate to lose a nice SS one, but I have picked up a couple at thrift stores that make the losing a bit easier to swallow. Since i hate the taste of water, period, and my kids don't care, i can't factor that in as a consideration for us.

Good luck!

Those plastic bottles are likely not a problem. I thought the "leaching of chemicals" was a problem with the wafer thin plastic only.

However, I have bought Klean Kanteen about a year ago because they are so durable and easy to clean. I could never get the plastic bottles to look clean even if they were clean.

You have a point - with little kids and things getting left behind, that would run rather expensive with Klean Kanteens.

Those plastic bottles are likely not a problem. I thought the "leaching of chemicals" was a problem with the wafer thin plastic only.

However, I have bought Klean Kanteen about a year ago because they are so durable and easy to clean. I could never get the plastic bottles to look clean even if they were clean.

You have a point - with little kids and things getting left behind, that would run rather expensive with Klean Kanteens.

well, I wouldn't be surprised if these were leeching too ;)

and who said anything about the KIDS losing stuff? lol..... :lol:

We are quite fond of our Laptop Lunches stainless bottles, bought through a co-op. Otherwise, I would have been springing for the Klean Kanteen bottles.

No offense to Sigg lovers, but the "proprietary" super secret polymer coating on the inside makes me raise an eyebrow. Love their designs though. {sigh}

We bought something similar to Kleen Kanteen at Target. Each kiddo has one in the fridge for water, and I have a bigger one I take to work with me. I don't remember how much they cost, but I'm pretty sure I made up for it by not purchasing bottled water.

ETA: I looked on the bottom. Mine are made by Thermos. They are not insulated.

Edited by MeanestMomInMidwest

We love our Klean Kanteens. I figured if I was going to buy something, I wanted one I was absolutely sure about the safety. Sigg didn't meet that standard for me (cute as they are). I also have Built sleeves (with handles) for each of our bottles. It keeps the water cold in summer (if we throw some ice in with the water, and the wide mouth makes this easy) all day while the kids were at soccer camp. And this winter, I've put hot water and a tea bag in, and had hot tea for 4 hours or so. Also, the sleeve means there's no condensation, which some people find a problem with the "naked" bottles.

I have the "color" KKs and that helps us keep straight whose is whose.

In the category of "expensive, but worth it", I just bought a Laken insulated bottle. It's huge (.7 liter), has a wide mouth to it is easy to clean, a looped screw top so you can hold it with your finger or carabiner it. Being aluminum with a double wall and 7 mm insulating polyethylene, with ice it keeps water cool for hours, even here in Really Hot Almost Mexico, AZ. I got it at the local independent outdoorsy REI-style store.

Edited by BikeBookBread
further info about the bottle

It's huge and with ice keeps water cool for hours, even here in Really Hot Almost Mexico, AZ.

I've found that a milk carton filled w/ water and frozen solid will still have cold water in it if left in a basic cooler in the bed of a truck in San Antonio in July. :)

However, the Gatorade sports bottles [frozen solid] only last about 30 minutes on the playground, which is a great timer for when it is time to go. :D

We have the KK and love them. However, you can buy them much more cheaply through places like LL Bean, or the Whole Foods logo ones. They are all KK...but the logos switch out. My fav thing about the stainless is there is no odor and the water never has any sort of plastic-y taste. They are also never greasy...something I didn't like about any other water bottle.

• 3 weeks later...

We do the colored Klean Kanteens, and also bought the carrying handle strap thing, so my children can just strap it over their shoulder if we go on a hike.

I love the designs of the Siggs, but have heard that they tend to come off/get scratched easily, and with my three, these bottles take a beating. Didn't see the point of paying for a cool design only for it to be coming off. Plus Siggs didn't come with the type of spouts I was looking for, especially a spill proof Sippy spout for my DS2, where as KK does.

Not trying to be an alarmist, but people talking about freezing the water in milk jugs, etc, freaks me out. The chemicals do leach out in the freezing process as that plastic was not made for freezing. Reusing Gatorade bottles, ugh, I would not trust the bottle manufacturing process enough to reuse plastics in that manner. You might not be able to taste the chemicals leaching into the water, but they are there, nevertheless.

My children haven't lost their KK, as I am very diligent about making sure they have them and that has kind of worn off onto them.

I bought the KKs just before Christmas and have been loving them and using them daily ever since! I found a SUPER deal on them at www.getngreen.com They had a special on their KKs that had the "Get N Green" logo on them. It saved me a TON of money!!! I was even able to get a couple different types of lids for them for so much less than anywhere else.