Menu

Judy Bloom Are you there God? (CC)

It didn't have any lasting impact on my spirituality, if that's what you're worried about. I do remember some scenes quite well, but I would re-read it myself before giving it to my daughter.

I'm indifferent about my daughter reading it. I'd much rather she read better books, but probably wouldn't forbid this one.

I haven't reread it recently, but I did read it at about that age. What I remember most is the discussion about starting mentruation. My mom never discussed it with me. I think it might deal with some questionable subject matter regarding boys though. I had a problem with being boy crazy when I was that age and I read a LOT of teen novels. I'm sure the teen novels of the 80s/early 90s weren't quite as graphic as the ones written today, though!

The protagonist struggles with faith issues. Her grandmother and mother are Jewish and the grandmother pushes that issue. However, I don't recall any bashing of either Judaism or Christianity, just the protagonist's struggle and frustration with the issue.

The menstruation aspect didn't bother me. The setting is with public schooled girls, so there is that sort of mean-girl aspect in the book, but nothing overly insidious, IIRC.

No I wouldn't recommend it. And in fact I would discourage my 12 yr dd from reading any Judy Blume.

I read a lot of the stuff when I was young that I probably shouldn't have (including Blume). My parents were much more trusting of public/school libraries than I am. I guess they figured if it was in the school library it was okay.

There's way too much other stuff I'd rather have my kids spend their time reading.

I read it as a pre-teen. I grew up in a household where menstruation was never mentioned or discussed. I had to find out about it at school during the movie. I was the only kid who did not have the talk with a parent ahead of time and asked some very embarrassing questions. I had to read the box on the pads and tampons that magically appeared in the bathroom to learn how to use them. At the time, I was craving any information about how people lived with this aspect of their lives. I didn't remember much about the faith stuff, but the expression of normal feelings of growing up did.

After re-reading it, I might let my daughter read it. I would probably discuss things that bothered me with her. That is pretty much how I approach most literature that may have some issues.

The only thing I remember from the book was something about masturbation. I wouldn't want my daughter to read about that in that sort of context. My memory may be wrong though. It could have been a different book I read since it was over 35 yrs ago! Gosh, I feel old!!!

Ally

The only thing I remember from the book was something about masturbation. I wouldn't want my daughter to read about that in that sort of context. My memory may be wrong though. It could have been a different book I read since it was over 35 yrs ago! Gosh, I feel old!!!

Ally

I think you're thinking of "Then Again, Maybe I Won't" by Judy Blume. :001_smile:

I read all those books when I was in 5th/6th grade and I think they got progressively worse. I think the Margaret book was the least graphic, "Forever" being the most, among her children's books, anyway.

I read it as a pre-teen. I grew up in a household where menstruation was never mentioned or discussed. I had to find out about it at school during the movie. I was the only kid who did not have the talk with a parent ahead of time and asked some very embarrassing questions. I had to read the box on the pads and tampons that magically appeared in the bathroom to learn how to use them. At the time, I was craving any information about how people lived with this aspect of their lives. I didn't remember much about the faith stuff, but the expression of normal feelings of growing up did.

That's exactly how things happened for me, too. My mother was too embarrassed/prudish/shamed? to actually discuss it with me. I appreciated the book because it talked about the subject. It didn't have any impact on my faith.

I'd have to re-read it, but I don't think I'd have a problem with my dds reading it. I do, of course, plan to discuss this with them because I really disagree with how my parents handled the facts of life (ie. they didn't talk about the subject AT ALL).

My intention is not to open a can of worms but to figure out the appeal to the book. It has many wonderful reviews. I can't help but think that this book may add to the confusion at this already volitile age. I don't want her to start questioning or doubting what she has come to believe in at such a delicate stage in her life.

A friend of mine keeps asking me if I will let my daughter read this. I was a child like the posters above. I had to figure it out on my own and I can see how this book may help in cases like this. However, I am very open and give my daughter tons of information in this area. We have had countless talks. I have given her many books about puberty and about becoming a woman. We talk about everything. I am wondering if I am missing something? I have told this friend several times about my approach but she seems to think this book is invaluable. So, what is it?

Interesting....:001_smile:

Metaphorically speaking, to open a can of worms means to inadvertently create numerous new problems while trying to solve one. Experts disagree on the origin of the phrase, but it is generally believed to be a Canadian or American metaphor coined sometime in the 1950s. Bait stores routinely sold cans of worms and other popular live baits to fishermen, who often discovered how easy it was to open a can of worms and how difficult it was to close one. Once the worms discovered an opportunity to escape, it became nearly impossible to keep them contained.

Some experts say the "open a can of worms" metaphor is a modern extension of Pandora's Box. In the original story, a mortal was warned not to open a box belonging to Pandora. When curiosity got the best of this mortal, he opened the box and inadvertently released numerous plagues on the world. According to legend, the only thing remaining in Pandora's box was a creature called Hope. In this same sense, to open a can of worms means to release a host of often irrevocable problems or complications. As long as the "can" remained sealed, there would be no harm or foul.

It is rarely a good thing to open a can of worms, although the damage control process could prove to be cathartic. An accountant looking for answers to a tax problem could discover evidence of financial wrongdoing by his client, for example. The exposure of that one secret could set off a chain of events with even more dire consequences. Once the accountant decided to open a can of worms, however inadvertently, the worms themselves triggered an entirely new set of problems. By exposing the truth to the light, however, the situation could now be handled honestly.

Sometimes the decision to open a can of worms does not work out so well. History is full of events in which the investigation of one problem has led to the exposure of dozens of other problems lurking beneath the surface. Investigations such as the Washington Post's inquiry into a break-in at the Watergate office complex in 1972 often open a can of worms much bigger than the original story. There is often no elegant or efficient way to reseal the ugly truth once someone decides to open a can of worms

I'd like to be in the "steer clear" camp on this one, but I might let my dd read it when she's 10-12. The religion aspect bugged me. Although I do feel JB describes the Trying On of Religion by Young Teens quite accurately (all form, no substance), the religious adults don't seem to offer much guidance. It seems to send the message that Margaret already has a relationship with God, and that's good enough. In honoring every religion (sort of), it honors none.

Are you my sister? Did we grow up with the same mother? :tongue_smilie:

I think the appeal is pretty much entirely that it's a story that prominently features issues about growing up--all the stuff girls think about but that never used to appear in stories. At the time, it was pretty much the only book that honestly talked about getting your first period, and as such served a real need for many girls who didn't get the information elsewhere.

For myself, I think Blume is pretty outdated; her type of books don't age well. In the 'realistic growing-up' books, she's been superseded by other and better authors, and by changes in American culture. I particularly don't like Blubber. Margaret is an OK book, I don't really object to it or anything, but I don't consider it a necessary one.

I remember this book. Someone gave it to me for my 5th birthday.

You know, would I *recommend* this book to a girl? No.

Would I *panic* if I found my daughter reading it? No. But I would make sure I talk about it with her afterward. The Jewish/Christian issue is more about which club to join vs. the actual spiritual differences.

I am at a loss to understand why your friend is so keen to have your dd read it? I was one of those girls who learned next to nothing from my mom about the "growing up" issues, but I can't say I learned anything about them from this book. (Except that the bust exercises did NOT work.) :001_smile:

If your dd picks it up on her own, just talk about it with her. But I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.

My intention is not to open a can of worms but to figure out the appeal to the book. It has many wonderful reviews. I can't help but think that this book may add to the confusion at this already volitile age. I don't want her to start questioning or doubting what she has come to believe in at such a delicate stage in her life.

A friend of mine keeps asking me if I will let my daughter read this. I was a child like the posters above. I had to figure it out on my own and I can see how this book may help in cases like this. However, I am very open and give my daughter tons of information in this area. We have had countless talks. I have given her many books about puberty and about becoming a woman. We talk about everything. I am wondering if I am missing something? I have told this friend several times about my approach but she seems to think this book is invaluable. So, what is it?

Your daughter, prepared as she is, probably wouldn't find the book as invaluable as your friend does. She's not hungry or needy for that type of information, because she's been well prepared by you.

She might or might not enjoy it, and it might or might not be appropriate, but that's something only you (and she) can decide. Why not check it out and give it a quick pre-read? Then you could determine whether it would confuse her or not. There's not going to be one answer to "...what is it?" as that's going to be different in every situation. Some kids will feel it conflicts with their family's values, some will be indifferent, others will be grateful for something to fill a void.

Edited by Andie

.... I grew up in New Jersey during the "reign" of Judy Blume, and since she was born and raised in New Jersey, you can imagine how much our public school teachers "pushed" Blume's books on us girls. "Oh, look, our own New Jersey girl, an author, be sure you read all her books."

Blah.

Now I am old and married-with-daughters (3), but every time I see Judy Blume's name I feel polluted. Yes, polluted.

Reading her books at a young age, I felt dirty and ashamed and scared. I can still remember that feeling. I think that Blume's books are some of the worst possible writing for children and teens, because her books trivialize and flatten out the experiences of youth -- puberty, sexuality, masturbation, divorce, peer pressure, etc. -- and her characters are so dull, IMO. She caused a sensation years ago, to be sure, because her topics were so "shocking," but her actual writing is poor, or at best, mediocre.

Here's another thought. Would you be comfortable with your daughter reading ALL of Blume's books? If your daughter feels that you approve of Blume as an author, she might seek out other books by Blume. You might not mind her reading "Margaret," but "Forever" might be another story...

When I think of the "Little Women" books or the "Anne of Green Gables" books or "The Little House" books -- it dawns on me that there are characters in THOSE books worth imitating. You could set your daughter lose with the whole series of books by those authors, but you'd have to be on your guard with Blume. There don't seem to be any model characters in Blume's books. Drug-addicted parents, sexually-starved teenaged boys, girls who obsess about periods or losing virginity, etc.... All of THAT is in there, but why feed your daughter's spirit on that garbage? HTH.

.... I grew up in New Jersey during the "reign" of Judy Blume, and since she was born and raised in New Jersey, you can imagine how much our public school teachers "pushed" Blume's books on us girls. "Oh, look, our own New Jersey girl, an author, be sure you read all her books."

Blah.

Now I am old and married-with-daughters (3), but every time I see Judy Blume's name I feel polluted. Yes, polluted.

Reading her books at a young age, I felt dirty and ashamed and scared. I can still remember that feeling. I think that Blume's books are some of the worst possible writing for children and teens, because her books trivialize and flatten out the experiences of youth -- puberty, sexuality, masturbation, divorce, peer pressure, etc. -- and her characters are so dull, IMO. She caused a sensation years ago, to be sure, because her topics were so "shocking," but her actual writing is poor, or at best, mediocre.

Here's another thought. Would you be comfortable with your daughter reading ALL of Blume's books? If your daughter feels that you approve of Blume as an author, she might seek out other books by Blume. You might not mind her reading "Margaret," but "Forever" might be another story...

When I think of the "Little Women" books or the "Anne of Green Gables" books or "The Little House" books -- it dawns on me that there are characters in THOSE books worth imitating. You could set your daughter lose with the whole series of books by those authors, but you'd have to be on your guard with Blume. There don't seem to be any model characters in Blume's books. Drug-addicted parents, sexually-starved teenaged boys, girls who obsess about periods or losing virginity, etc.... All of THAT is in there, but why feed your daughter's spirit on that garbage? HTH.

Wonderful post...where is that rep???? polluted is exactly how i felt

when I read Forever...yuck!

No way. I don't plan on having my dd read any of Judy Blume's books. I read them as a young person, and don't think I gained anything of value from them. I think they portray adolescence in a warped way, which the author mistakes for being how kids really think and feel. If anything I think they convey the way modern culture thinks that adolescents *should* feel, which the kids sometimes then in turn adopt for themselves. I specifically remember several situations where I acted out in real life what I had read in those books, because I thought that was how girls my age were meant to act--- and suffice to say, they were not things that I am proud of now. A girl who has a supportive, instructive family, and solid, like-minded friends, shouldn't need the life lessons presented in those books.

Blah.

This sums up my feelings about the book. Thank you for putting it so well. If you don't mind, I would like to quote you to my "well-intending" friend. I think it will give her something to chew on for a while.

Blah.

Wow. That's an interesting experience. I, too, grew up in NJ and read a lot of Blume's books.

I found them to develop into friends, companions and gave a vocabulary to my feelings, to normalize my peer experience, to understand where "no one" else did.

Any Christians that would actually recommend this book for a young (almost 12 yr. old) girl to read? If so, why?

I recommended it for my dd when she was closer to 10 -11.

This sums up my feelings about the book. Thank you for putting it so well. If you don't mind, I would like to quote you to my "well-intending" friend. I think it will give her something to chew on for a while.

If you are looking for something about menstruation to share with your daughter then I highly recommend this series. Judy Blume? No way.

No way. I don't plan on having my dd read any of Judy Blume's books. I read them as a young person, and don't think I gained anything of value from them. I think they portray adolescence in a warped way, which the author mistakes for being how kids really think and feel. If anything I think they convey the way modern culture thinks that adolescents *should* feel, which the kids sometimes then in turn adopt for themselves.

I wholeheartedly agree; well said, Erica.