Menu

Camping, Camping, Camping!!!

so, there's a popup camper out there now that's going to be mine. :001_smile:

sending the deposit tomorrow to hold it.

It sleeps 8, cassette potty, a wee frigerator, furnace, outside shower hose, slide-out dinnette, extra storage, and it's in very good condition for being used.

Smells slightly of moth balls but I think a few bounce sheets will eliminate that in short order.

sooo . . . . :auto: planning our vacations comes next. Some (the skeptics) think we're crazy to take our brood of 5 (10,8,6,4, and 2) on the road this summer. If you're a skeptic please don't speak up.

Starting out with a very local trip to a state park for 1 night.

Then we'll go a wee bit further to another state park--one that has fossil hunting at it.

Looking for feedback on those wish-I'd-have-known items before I need them.

One concern about safety--can't really lock this thing up since it's mostly tent. Is it a problem at campgrounds?

The very first time we took our two oldest dc camping, we arrived at the campsite after dark and realized we should have packed a flashlight :001_huh:.

The little shop in the campground made a killing off us that weekend as we discovered all the things we forgot.

Make a list and check it twice ;).

And no, we have never had a problem with leaving our campsite unattended.

We do lock our pop-up, but leave a lot of stuff outside and it's always been there when we got back.

Have fun!

I'm no skeptic! Congratulations! I have followed your journey to the camper, and I am catching the bug:tongue_smilie: I just need to work on the funds...and my dh. Happy camping- what a great way to build memories.

dh wavers here. Somedays he's really excited and then reality gets a moment. :D

I'm looking forward to sharing our adventures with TWTM'ers here next summer. I'm looking forward to the memories--all of them. :001_smile:

When we went to Yellowstone we realized we should have made reservations at the campgrounds. We couldn't believe it. We drove all the way through Wyoming one night, all the campgrounds in Yellowstone were booked. We ended up pulling off the road into the parking lot of a federal forest and set up. Camping is always free in national forests. Of course, you can only stay 3 weeks at a time!

We like to stay someplace close to a Walmart or Target the first time in a new Trailer or RV. Then we can run in and get the things we forgot to pack lol.

We just bought an RV this past month and I'm dying to take it somewhere. Maybe next month... dh has been really busy this month.

We are a camping family! Love it! We do it in a tent. Our longest trip tenting in one place was for a week. We plan another week long trip this summer. I actually prefer a tent over a hotel. My dh must always have a pair of shower shoes for public showers! It's great to bring along a table cover for a picnic table (with holds so it doesn't blow away). An ax for getting firewood. A rope to tie up to trees to dry clothes and maybe some clips. And, we keep meaning to set up a tarp over the picnic table for shade and in case it rains (need extra rope for that). We always forget newspaper to start a fire. And, a broom to sweep up the messy floor build up. And, of course a first aid kit. The amount of stuff you need and want is overwhelming and alot of work to pack up. Have a blast!

We have a travel trailer and 7 children, and have been camping for 6 years. It's a blast!

You are smart to make your first stay a short one, close to home. We've found that 10 days of camping is our maximum for all to be still having fun when we come home.

Here are a few ideas:

1. Ditto on camping near a store, preferably a super Walmart. They have camping sections where you can pick up a water hose 'cuz yours is too short, a grill, etc...

2. Get there at least 2 hours before dark! You want to be able to get set up, and more importantly get the little children used to being there. Getting to a campsite after dark can be very scary to littles, and many bigs, too. Take a walk, play on the playground, look at the bath house, etc. Believe me, you will all sleep better that night.

3. Bring something already prepared or very easy to prepare for dinner.

4. Have jobs thought out for all of your children. They want to feel useful, and it helps them get used to staying there.

5. Be prepared for unexpected accidents and messes. We have learned that these happen more often when camping. Also, make sure your 2 and 4 yo are prepared to take a shower. Showers can be scary for littles, and that's what's available at campgrounds.

6. Bring flip-flops for all for the shower. Also, bring enough shampoos and soap boxes/soap for all several people to take showers at the same time, in both bath houses.

7. If you can, bring bikes for the children. Most children have bikes at the campgrounds, and yours will feel left out if they don't.

Have fun!

HTH,

GardenMom

We love camping in our pop-up!

For showers: a small mesh bag with essentials (shampoo, soap, scrubby) for EVERYONE that showers alone is a must have for us. It makes life so much easier.

Those sponges with soap already in them are awesome for any dishes you need to clean.

BUG repellant.

Knives and potholders. Seems obvious until you need to cook something and have to tear into it, and pick up hot items..lol.

A broom!

Have fun. The first time will be a total learning experience. We chose to do our first trip to FL (from TN) I just wish we'd tried it out a bit closer to home first.

For trips to the shower house we use ice cream buckets. Generally we all use the same bucket and the guys and girls take turns making trips to the shower house. When the kids were younger we would use a laundry basket...it was easy to carry and saved us from leaving a trail of clothing behind us.

Don't take your best clothes camping. The kids will dig in the dirt and be filthy...it is part of the fun!

Take s'mores sticks. And be prepared for the kids to play in the campfire with them.

so, there's a popup camper out there now that's going to be mine. :001_smile:

sending the deposit tomorrow to hold it.

It sleeps 8, cassette potty, a wee frigerator, furnace, outside shower hose, slide-out dinnette, extra storage, and it's in very good condition for being used.

Smells slightly of moth balls but I think a few bounce sheets will eliminate that in short order.

sooo . . . . :auto: planning our vacations comes next. Some (the skeptics) think we're crazy to take our brood of 5 (10,8,6,4, and 2) on the road this summer. If you're a skeptic please don't speak up.

Starting out with a very local trip to a state park for 1 night.

Then we'll go a wee bit further to another state park--one that has fossil hunting at it.

Looking for feedback on those wish-I'd-have-known items before I need them.

One concern about safety--can't really lock this thing up since it's mostly tent. Is it a problem at campgrounds?

The only issue is that some stateparks will not allow popups because of bears. Are you thinking long trips or over night trips? We are purchasing a camper and considered a popup but are concerned that someone can just break slit the material and get in and steal things.

Enjoy it! I would plan, plan, plan your meals. I made a master list of what we would need for every meal and check off the ingredients or supplies (a lot of time I would make it before we left and just heat it up) because you won't have syrup for the pancakes in the back of the fridge like you do at home. Also bring serving utencils... I went to a thrift store and got a ton of silverware and pots and pans that just stay in the camper so I don't have to pack everytime. I know everyone says to bring flip flops, bring them, but I always bring a rubber mat for the shower, I can't shower in slippery flip-flops without twisting my ankle. If your bring beer, bring a bottle opener.:) don't forget trashbags, batteries, books, games, pillows, extra blankets, if you have ones that still wet the bed, bring a water proof covering and laundry detergent. First aid kit of course, a camera. Have fun!

We have a pop-up also. It's one of the smallest out there and just barely fits our family of 6. We didn't get to use it at all last year due to a move, so I am planning a bunch of trips this year. I plan meals out ahead of time. I make things here, freeze them so that they serve as ice in the cooler and then are easily used as they thaw out. There are some great pop-up camper sites that have good information you may want to check out. I just found some other neat ideas I'm going to implement this year for the first time. ENJOY

We like to bring the glow sticks for the little kids. They hang them on a string on their necks in the evening and run around. It makes it easier to keep track of them and they double as night lights at night. A flashlight for each kid reduces squabbles. Mine like to bring Uno to play in the evening or if it rains.

We like to bring the glow sticks for the little kids. They hang them on a string on their necks in the evening and run around. It makes it easier to keep track of them and they double as night lights at night. A flashlight for each kid reduces squabbles. Mine like to bring Uno to play in the evening or if it rains.

Yes! Glow sticks are essential for our camping trips. Also bring rope, bungie cords, and a tarp. We always find a need for them - even if it's to make a "make-shift" tent over the fire in case of rain. Rope to hang wet clothes out to dry or to make a rope swing. Bungies just seem to come in handy for everything.

My in-laws have a medium sized motor home they let us borrow. We took it for a weekend last year and it was a blast! The thing we forgot was the batteries for the camera. I was so bummed when I was missing all these great moments of our kids playing in the water at the beach and I couldn't take any pictures because the batteries went dead.

We camp about four times a year and love it! We have camped in the past with a pop-up and a tent (the boys still like their tent). This year we sold the pop-up and moved to a tow-behind camper.

I would agree with all the other ladies about what to bring. My dh and I make a list while we're camping of the things we need or maybe have run out of on this trip. That way we don't forget the things we need to stock up on for the next trip.

Bring baby wipes. Kids tend to get really dirty in a campground and it's easier just to "wipe them down." Also bring them more than one pair of shoes, because one pair may get wet.

• 5 months later...

It's been a busy summer here camping. We managed to get in 4 trips!!! Yeah! So here are some of our camping stories for you......

I put the dog food on the trunk of the camper before we slid out the side bunks. It was stuck under there and when we cleaned up for the evening I thought not one bit about it . . . .

The next morning I wake up and look over at DH. He's in the sleeping bag WEARING HIS HIKING BOOTS!!!! Huh? "Did I miss something?"

Yup, I missed the pack of racoons feasting on the dog food right under the bunk where I was sleeping (like a rock). He was concerned they would lift a flap and come right in where we were sleeping and he was prepared to kick any invaders.

On our second weekend trip I woke in the pre-dawn to my 2 yo's screech and a blurred vision of my half-na#ked dh diving out the side of the bunk....... 2 yo dd somehow managed to slide, sleeping bag and all, out between the canvas and bungee cords to the ground below. Everyone was fine. DH had gotten tired of her kicking him in the kidney and had moved her to the side. We didn't think of that possibility.

Our third trip was camping with my sibs and their families in my parent's barnyard/lawn. Can I just say that the cats mating under my bunk were nothing to the rooster crowing @ 2 a.m., 3 a.m., 4 a.m., 5 a.m., ... I got up at that point and had breakfast and got to listen to my bil's snoring for another couple hours.

:D We've had some great adventures are already this summer and we're busy planning for next summer. If you've got any suggestions on great places to stay--anywhere in the USA--speak up! We love the quiet of the State Park campgrounds.

Did I mention that my 3 yo can't wait to go to bed and sleep in the camper when we're out? "I'm tired. I need to sleep now." He loooves sleeping in the camper.

It's been a busy summer here camping. We managed to get in 4 trips!!! Yeah! So here are some of our camping stories for you......

Did I mention that my 3 yo can't wait to go to bed and sleep in the camper when we're out? "I'm tired. I need to sleep now." He loooves sleeping in the camper.

I LOVE IT!!!! I hope you have taken lots of pictures :) I converted last year from a NEVER CAMP to a ADORE CAMPING, and wish we had more time to do it.

Blessings,

Rita

Enjoy it! I would plan, plan, plan your meals. I made a master list of what we would need for every meal and check off the ingredients or supplies (a lot of time I would make it before we left and just heat it up) because you won't have syrup for the pancakes in the back of the fridge like you do at home. Also bring serving utencils... I went to a thrift store and got a ton of silverware and pots and pans that just stay in the camper so I don't have to pack everytime. I know everyone says to bring flip flops, bring them, but I always bring a rubber mat for the shower, I can't shower in slippery flip-flops without twisting my ankle. If your bring beer, bring a bottle opener.:) don't forget trashbags, batteries, books, games, pillows, extra blankets, if you have ones that still wet the bed, bring a water proof covering and laundry detergent. First aid kit of course, a camera. Have fun!

Even though I thought I'd planned food, I ran out of on our 2nd trip out. We had to go home early. I am simply amazed at how much gets consumed.

DH has officially banned glow sticks..... after we got the lights out on the first trip our kid's glowed. They'd broken open the glow sticks and smeared it all over themselves. :lol: DH wasn't amused. I thought it was funny.

I missed this thread because...we were camping! This weekend we took our 3 kids and 3 of their friends and went to our favorite campground about 2 hours from home. We tent camp and usually in places with few facilities. Yes, pit toilets, water pump, and picnic table are the primary luxuries. We love it. I feel so confined when we get home.

Whatever kind of camping you are doing, developing routines or systems just like you have at home keeps you sane. For example, we tend to set up camp in the same order and the same way each time. I have two plastic boxes that are the mainstays. One holds all kitchenware: plates, bowls, silverware, mugs, salt & pepper, collapsible serving utensils, kitchen knife, corkscrew, dishtowels, small plastic garbage bags, and cutting board. This is a box that is the next size up from the shoe box size. When we come home, I clean it out, restock, and we're set to go for the next trip.

Have fun! We made some fabulous memories this weekend and can't wait to get out again in two more weeks.

DH has officially banned glow sticks..... after we got the lights out on the first trip our kid's glowed. They'd broken open the glow sticks and smeared it all over themselves. :lol: DH wasn't amused. I thought it was funny.

That stuff will melt plastic. It melted a hole in dd's bib when she was younger.

One thing about ropes & clotheslines...not all campgrounds will let you tie ropes to trees to use for clotheslines or for tarps for shade, etc... Just so you know in advance. I don't know how common it is, but we have encountered it at a private (as in not State Park) campground.