Menu

History--How Many Days Per Week?

We do history two or three days a week with a 8 and 7 yo both doing Story of the World Vol. 3. We listen to part 1 of the weekly chapter one day (maybe do a narration), part 2 of the chapter another day with the mapwork, and then if there's any interesting projects in the Activity guide, do that on a third. I also try to locate recommended books at the library, so we might read those at another time.

Erica in OR

We do history 7 days a week (by request), but about 90% of our history is read aloud historical fiction. We average about an hour per day.

Thanks, Ladies. If you read my other thread you'll know why I ask this question.

Appreciate your responses and will keep checking them. I have admiration for the commitment to history that each of you have in your home.

BTW I read history during lunch while I have a captive audiance. ;) Then I eat afterward while reading WTM. :D

Heather

For 2nd grade that is just read alouds and such but for 7th..

We use Mystery of History and Truthquest.

Mondays are pretest and begin assigned reading for that week.

Tues, Wed, Thurs, each have a lesson in MOH and as associated TQ reading if there is one. Assigned reading and/or viewing each day as well.

Friday is timeline and mapwork and any review sheets.

We do history five days a week. We do read-alouds, and map work, and notebook pages, and a timeline (not everything every day). I think that we spend the most time of any subject on history. My kids love it and they are learning a lot. I thought about doing history twice a week for longer chunks of time, but with my kids being so young, I didn't think they would retain as much from marathon sessions.

My dd wants to put in this smiley:lurk5:.

Tara

Our curriculum is based around our history so 4-5 days a week here.

Michelle

Same here. This involves reading (from MOH or Kingfisher), discussion, writing (IEW's history-based writing lessons), literature (novels related to the historical events we are covering), time lines, map work, and an occasional hands-on project.

Edited by jejily

We do some history five days a week. We are using Tapestry of Grace now, and it it working very well for us. We used SOTW for four years before this, and for the first two years we did history twice a week and stayed on schedule. We all enjoyed SOTW 3 and 4 much less, though, and it tended not to get done (actually, we never got past the first 1/3 of year 4). Anyway, five days a week is working for us now, and, as another poster noted, they seem to learn better in smaller, more frequent sessions than in fewer, longer sessions.