Menu

S/O #2: If you did go on vacation alone, what kind of safety gear would you bring?

Obviously, I can't (and wouldn't) bring a gun on our vacation, but some people mentioned things like air horns and baseball bats. As silly as it sounds, I'm really only worried about someone getting into the house when we're all sleeping. We'll be there for awhile, and if people see that it's just me and two littles, I worry that we might look like a good target. Has anyone ever used those motion detectors that sound an alarm when a door or window is opened? What other basic things would you think would make you feel safer? Any suggestions?

(And yes, I know I'm being paranoid, but I'm kind of a better-safe-than-sorry person, YK? I wouldn't opt for a motel over a cottage over the paranoia issue, but I would like to assuage my anxiety a bit. I don't have a lot of faith in my own ability to fight anyone off if I had to, which is a separate issue, but there it is!)

TIA, yet again! You guys are really helping me out here! I am so looking forward to this vacation :001_wub:

A cell phone. That's all.

Honestly, your posts concern me a bit. You don't sound as though you feel safe without major protection (you've mentioned a gun, bat, alarms). This fear isn't going to go away when you are in a cabin all alone...in fact, it could get much, much worse. Can you stay in a local hotel?

Ria

A cell phone. That's all.

Honestly, your posts concern me a bit. You don't sound as though you feel safe without major protection (you've mentioned a gun, bat, alarms). This fear isn't going to go away when you are in a cabin all alone...in fact, it could get much, much worse. Can you stay in a local hotel?

Ria

Well, as I mentioned, I wouldn't let my concerns prevent me from taking the vacation or from staying in a cabin. I'm merely looking for simple ways (as in, NOT firearms, and again, someone else mentioned a bat or a knife in my other thread) to hedge my bets, so to speak. After all, lots of people own guns and have alarm systems in their own homes, where they actually know their neighbors and the local crime rates. I don't think my concerns are totally outrageous, given that I've never taken a vacation alone with children before. I don't generally subscribe to the "Oh, that'll never happen to me" mindset; it's just the way I am. I'm a planner and a researcher by nature. It's the same reason I homeschool!

Again, I'm perfectly fine with taking the vacation. This is simply a discussion.

Weren't you looking at Cape Cod? Unless you're independently wealthy, you'll be renting a place within yelling distance of neighbors. Sneezing distance is more likely. No need of an air horn.

If you don't want to leave the windows open at night, make sure you rent a place with a/c or bring a window unit.

Cell phone coverage wasn't a problem (but I didn't try the Truro beaches).

I tend to agree with Ria. I am completely unfamiliar with the concern of vacationing alone with children. I do it all the time.

I think your greatest asset would be a take-no-crap attitude as you unpack those kiddos into the cabin. Be aware of your surroundings, make some calls on the phone outside the car, and lock the doors. There you have it.

I don't know why, but, I'm nervous for you because you are so nervous....

I don't know why, but, I'm nervous for you because you are so nervous....

:lol: Well, I guess if you subscribe to the "Gift of Fear" school of thought, then maybe something's telling me I shouldn't go on the vacation after all!

This is just the way I am. I won't allow it to prevent me from doing things, but I do think a lot about all my options. It started after I had kids. I can't explain it. I can't watch scary movies (I learned that the hard way when DD6 was just months old and we were living in a new house, and DH was working nights--egads! and it was such a cheesy movie too!) or go on roller coasters anymore. Scary books don't seem to bother me, but reading too much of the news kicks my anxiety up a notch.

I don't know. I have a friend who wouldn't take her DD on a HS field trip for safety reasons because her first name was published on the list of attendees. Lots of people around here have house alarms. I know a few people with guns, and some with large scary dogs kept primarily for protection. Being that nervous in your own home seems less reasonable to me than being nervous in a strange place where I don't know anyone. I know it's weird! It's just who I am. We're still going on the vacation!

Edited by melissel

:lol: Well, I guess if you subscribe to the "Gift of Fear" school of thought, then maybe something's telling me I shouldn't go on the vacation after all!

This is just the way I am. I won't allow it to prevent me from doing things, but I do think a lot about all my options. It started after I had kids. I can't explain it. I can't watch scary movies (I learned that the hard way when DD6 was just months old and we were living in a new house, and DH was working nights--egads! and it was such a cheesy movie too!) or go on roller coasters anymore. Scary books don't seem to bother me, but reading too much of the news kicks my anxiety up a notch.

I don't know. Lots of people around here have house alarms. I know a few people with guns, and some with large scary dogs kept primarily for protection. Being that nervous in your own home seems less reasonable to me than being nervous in a strange place where I don't know anyone. I know it's weird! It's just who I am. We're still going on the vacation!

I go through phases of being scared, but I'm like you -- I just go!

I usually have a AAA card (or the equivalent) for road emergencies, and I make sure someone knows where I am. Cell phone, naturally. Make sure a manager or neighbor or something knows where you are.

But don't sweat it. The odds are really, REALLY small that anything will happen. You are woman, hear you roar! (Not scream, ROAR!)

:auto:

I have never taken extra precautions. Always aware of exits, police/fire stations, and my cell phone. Two years of martial arts as a teen and I'm fully capable of taking care of myself and my children. I wouldn't think twice about using a baseball bat, candle stick, or my still-strong round house kick to defend my loved ones. :)

A cellphone, though I often don't get reception when I am deeper in the mountains

A basic first aid kit including benedryl (I'm more afraid of a bad reaction to a bee sting then to other people)

Whistle for the kids and I - so if we get parted, we can "call" each other.

My car keys have a panic button

I do own one of those air horn things and took it camping the first couple of times I went alone. I haven't seen it in a while though - it's probably in with all the gear. I don't think it would hurt to take one.

In years past, I have traveled with up to 5 kids without another adult present. I never had any weapon or substitute weapon. And some excursions were taken before cell phones were widely available. A friend rented a cabin outside Yellowstone this past summer with her littles; we joined them for a week or so. My friend did have bear spray. Wisely she was more concerned about animal predators than human ones.

I don't think this is a "Gift of Fear" thing. That usually applies to your perception in a place or around a person -- your "gut". But you're not there. You don't have a "gut" to go on here. Truly, it just sounds like panic -- and panic you're feeding into -- without a source.

Things I would consider it wise to take along:

Cell phone and charger (perhaps car *and* standard chargers even)

Basic First Aid kit (it would be wise to have one in the car at all times, even if you're 5 minutes from home)

A flashlight

A current map (or GPS)

A portable jump-start machine for a car isn't a bad thing to have with you. Easier to use than jumper cables and doesn't require another car/person to help you.

A spare tire and the know-how to change it yourself.

But truly, if you're going to feel panicky about needing alarms and bats and such to protect yourself, maybe you *shouldn't* go. And not because there's some "Gift of Fear" gut thing going on. But because you'll make yourself sick with worry and that will make the trip less pleasant for you *and* your kids.

I agree....I couldn't imagine going on 'vacation' with all those thoughts in my head. It never would have occurred to me that just because you have two small children you would automatically become a 'target'.....I don't live in fear....and never will.

Do you have a dog? Can you bring it on the trip? a barking dog is a great alarm system and could put you at ease.

I'd bring a cell phone and first aid kit. Make sure the kids know how to dial 911 in case you have an accident in the shower or something. Make sure the cottage has a fire extinguisher and working smoke detectors.

That's about it.

I take pepper spray with me everywhere. I'm more worried about being attacked by a dog than another person though. We bike/walk frequently on trails in my area, and I have had several uncomfortable encounters with scary dogs. I haven't had to use the spray yet though.

Melissa, I thought of a few more tips that I used when the kids were very little and dh worked out of state....They're kind of obvious, but they might help put your mind at ease some.

1. lock all the doors and windows whenever you leave, even if it's only for a few minutes to go to the beach. leave a radio playing low.

2. lock all doors and windows while you and the kids are napping during the day, as well as sleeping at night.

3. leave several lights on during the night. I used to leave lights on in rooms i felt had vulnerable access: the kitchen that overlooked the alley, the living room that faced the street, the basement, as well as one light in the hallway near the bedrooms. consider leaving the TV on low if there is one in the cottage.

4. think about using a door jam, which is a pole with a handle that fits under the door knob and a foot that digs into the floor. it is very difficult to open a jammed door from the other side.

Here's some more....

5. you have until sept. so that's plenty of time to take a self-defense class or two, and maybe learn a few martial arts moves for protection. you will feel less vulnerable and able to enjoy yourself more.

6. pepper spray and a bedside weapon of your choice.

7. Have emergency numbers programmed into your cell phone. Consider taking a 2nd cell (maybe a trac phone or something cheap) in case you lose your phone or it breaks.

now into the realm of mild paranoia....;)

1. spread newspapers (possilby with a mousetrap) or something that will make a loud sound if stepped on near the entrances/under vulnerable windows. the sound might scare off an intruder and/or will alert you that someone's inside and you can call the police.

I am a cautious, reduce-my-risks kind of person, too. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to think about safety plans. You have a while to prepare yourself, just be proactive and try not to fret. I bet your trip will be wonderful.

I haven't taken any trips with just the dc, but when I was single and travelled abroad alone, I used a door alarm that I could attach to hotel room doors with velcro tape. They are probably easier to use now. It made me feel much safer. It wasn't a panic issue - heavens, if I were a fearful person I wouldn't have been travelling to foreign countries alone! It was just a precaution to help me feel safer in strange surroundings. Now that I'm married with dc, I would probably do the same thing, if I travelled with just them. Enjoy your trip!

I haven't read the original thread, so I'm feeling a bit lost, but I think I get the gist.

Honestly, my biggest fear would be if something happened to me (accidentally) would my children be able to get help?

I've traveled many times with just the kids (overseas even). I always felt the greatest risk "of attack" was during the actual travelling portion of any trip.

That said. . .

My family took a trip to Brussels and stayed in a hostel. Husband, myself, 3 boys (one of whom was under 6 months). Someone broke in our room that night, a young female teen (ish), and quietly started trying to go through our stuff.

And just as quietly, I asked her if there was anything I could help her find.

She nearly jumped out of her skin! Apologized and left post haste.

My husband and children heard of this the next morning when they awoke.

(Told to point out that your voice is oft times your greatest "weapon". Also, my husband will sleep through ANYTHING, so having a second adult doesn't necessarily increase your "safety"; nor, apparently, your vulnerability.)

Also, my husband will sleep through ANYTHING, so having a second adult doesn't necessarily increase your "safety"; nor, apparently, your vulnerability.

That's the part that gets me, too. No offense to my dh, but he isn't exactly the body guard type. If some psycho really wanted to hurt us, well... There isn't much we could do differently at home w/dh or away from home w/o dh.

My father happens to be a pretty big guy. When we went tent camping one year, some nut actually cut the tent screen, reached in, and grabbed the wallet lying right next to my father.

Our cars were robbed right in our home driveway while dh was watching television.

Crazy people are usually just after "stuff", anyway. They don't care about the people or whether or not there is a male presence.

I just thought of something else. How is/will your fear effect your kids? Do you want them to go on vacation and hate it because they are scared the whole time? Or do you want them to see that a woman is capable without a man. I ask that because from the names you have in your signature it looks like you have two little girls.

Taking common sense precautions - locking doors, being aware of your surroundings, having appropriate tools such as a cell phone and maybe a self defense class under your belt, and knowing how to call 911 is all anyone can really do for protection. Unless you take a class and a bring a shotgun.

What would you do if someone broke into your cabin and your dh was with you? Would you huddle in the bed with the children or would you fight to protect them? If you would fight, why are you okay with fighting along side dh but not on your own? If you would huddle in the bed with the kids, well, huddling in the bed, with or without dh to fight, is still huddling in the bed.

What kind of security do you have at home? Do you have an alarm system? Do you have a shotgun? If you don't what makes being in a cabin without those any different? If you do have an alarm system, and it makes you feel better to have one, go get a high quality door alarm. But remember even at home those things are only good at making noise. You still have to wait for the police to show up. Just remember that a door alarm won't notify the authorities. You'l have to set you cell phone to a one touch call to the local cops.

Good luck with your decision.

I thought of something else. I would try to find out if dialing 911 on your cell phone will automatically connect you to the local emergency dispatch center or if it would connect to the 911 location in your home area code instead. I have never had a reason to find out, but it's something worth knowing!

And thanks here too, everyone. Lots of basic ideas here that just never occurred like...maps!!! I'm so used to using Mapquest for everything that actual maps never crossed my mind, and I have no idea what our connectivity will be, so I'll need them. Flashlights too (and we do have one of thse big Mag-lights and several minis too :lol:).

I don't know yet where we'll end up. My mom did point out that the kids might have more fun meeting playmates if we actually go during the season, so the plans may actually change. We also just put a chunk of money into a CD, so now we'll need to see what our tax refund will be, but we should know that soon. Fingers crossed that all works out as planned!