Menu

So why do I have gall bladder pain when I don't even have a gall bladder anymore?

I've been up since 4:30 in severe pain. It has finally subsided now; all that's left is a headache (lack of sleep headache).

I had my gall bladder removed over 8 years ago, and this keeps happening. Finally at some point, years ago, my mother gave me some Gas X pills to take during one of the attacks and it's the only thing that helps. I burp and burp and burp and BURP. But I'm talking severe, intense pain!! Nausea, tight squeezing chest -- gall bladder episodes all over again.

But as I said, no gall bladder.

I took 5 of those gas-x pills over the past 1.5 hours. I finally got some relief.

Any ideas? Sympathy? Empathy??? :(

Are you going to the doctors? What are they saying?

This week is prayer week at my church. I will definitely put it up for prayer.

:grouphug:

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Thank you, Karen! I have not been to the doctor for this, but after tonight's episode, I'll be mentioning it next time I see him.

Would you mind another item for prayer? Our friend Tim is in desperate need of a liver. He's been in 2 comas and if he doesn't get a liver soon, he'll die. Seems selfish to pray for a liver for him, knowing it means someone else must lose their life. We just pray for the Lord's will and for peace and comfort in the meantime.

thank you! :grouphug:

Thank you, Karen! I have not been to the doctor for this, but after tonight's episode, I'll be mentioning it next time I see him.

Would you mind another item for prayer? Our friend Tim is in desperate need of a liver. He's been in 2 comas and if he doesn't get a liver soon, he'll die. Seems selfish to pray for a liver for him, knowing it means someone else must lose their life. We just pray for the Lord's will and for peace and comfort in the meantime.

thank you! :grouphug:

I was thinking of your friend the other day. I will keep him in my prayers.

...and you too. Could it have been an episode of heartburn? I hope you able to get some rest.

As it was explained to me-when they remove your gallbladder they leave the duct that attatches to your liver and intestine.(I assume because it is so close to the liver.) I was having pain years after having my gallbladder removed and even an episode of pancreatitis.I went in the hospital for an outpatient procedure.The dr. basically cleaned out the duct and put a stent in.

What did you eat last night?

My mom narrowly avoided having her gall bladder removed and my sister did have hers removed last year. When either one of them strays from a proper diet (specifically a high fat content meal) they wind up with the same kind of pain, because neither one of them has a gall bladder that is capable of processing fatty foods.

Symptoms of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) are very similar to the pain of a gall bladder attack. I experienced a similar situation -- gall bladder removed, then two or three years later, a sudden development of symptoms like a gall bladder attack.

Some ideas, in addition to the one Bee mentioned (regarding the duct):

1. Until you get into your doctor, try taking Prilosec (available OTC) daily.

2. It's possible you've developed a lactose intolerance -- try avoiding an excess of dairy products for a couple weeks, and see if it makes a change. (Symptoms for this are similar to IBS and the heartburn pain you're experiencing.)

3. Ask to have your thyroid checked -- these pains as you've described them can be one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. (But you'd have other symptoms, as well -- fatigue, weight gain or inability to lose weight, hair loss ... actually, the list of symptoms is quite long and extensive.)

4. IBS (if that's what it is) can only be controlled through diet (the one drug that had been touted as a treatment, Zelnorm, has been removed from the market by the FDA): Avoid caffeine and alcohol; add fiber; limit dairy, fruit, and artifical sweeteners; avoid gas-inducing foods like beans, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower; limit intake of fatty foods.

HTH. (And you have my sympathy AND empathy, because I know exactly how you feel!)

Symptoms of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) are very similar to the pain of a gall bladder attack. I experienced a similar situation -- gall bladder removed, then two or three years later, a sudden development of symptoms like a gall bladder attack.

Some ideas, in addition to the one Bee mentioned (regarding the duct):

1. Until you get into your doctor, try taking Prilosec (available OTC) daily.

2. It's possible you've developed a lactose intolerance -- try avoiding an excess of dairy products for a couple weeks, and see if it makes a change. (Symptoms for this are similar to IBS and the heartburn pain you're experiencing.)

3. Ask to have your thyroid checked -- these pains as you've described them can be one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. (But you'd have other symptoms, as well -- fatigue, weight gain or inability to lose weight, hair loss ... actually, the list of symptoms is quite long and extensive.)

4. IBS (if that's what it is) can only be controlled through diet (the one drug that had been touted as a treatment, Zelnorm, has been removed from the market by the FDA): Avoid caffeine and alcohol; add fiber; limit dairy, fruit, and artifical sweeteners; avoid gas-inducing foods like beans, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower; limit intake of fatty foods.

HTH. (And you have my sympathy AND empathy, because I know exactly how you feel!)

Hmmm...I take aciphex for acid reflux, and I've already been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and am medicated for that, although I'm due to have that checked again.

I'm a mess. I think I just need to go to the doctor and see if we can figure it all out. I got my period yesterday, and for some reason, the episodes of "gall bladder" attack pain seem to coincide with that.

Thanks for your help ladies! I appreciate it.

I was thinking of your friend the other day. I will keep him in my prayers.

...and you too. Could it have been an episode of heartburn? I hope you able to get some rest.

:grouphug: how kind of you to be thinking of Tim! We all appreciate it very much.

I was able to get about 15 minutes of sleep, then I had to get up. I still haven't eaten, and my innards don't feel all that great. Nothing sounds good, but I'm hungry! :glare:

It's gonna be a light day around here today...

Could be GERD, IBS, your pancreatitis, some kind of liver problem, or something wrong with your lungs, heart or muscles. So many things actually. If you are having that much pain, then you really do need to visit your dr. I once tightened my muscles so much from the pain of kidney stones that I dislocated my ribcage and threw my spine out of whack. It to six months of intense spinal care and physical therapy to get rid of the pain.

My dd has gallbladder stones and she does a flush that involves olive oil and lemon juice. I am sure that you can find a recipe on the internet but it always works for her and she hasn't had to have it removed yet.

Lots of Fiber! I had severe pain in that area for years, and the docs kept saying they could take out my galbladder to see if that was it. Ummm...no, no surgery unless you are sure lol. Anyway, I went to a new GP, and she said it is most likely IBS and there is a great place for 'issues' where the intestines bend near the gallbladder so people assume that is it. In July I began taking daily fiber pills, and that does the trick expecpt when I eat really bad like around Christmas *sigh*.

DB in NJ:

Hmmm...mine seems to get worse around the time my period starts too, I wonder if there is something to that.

Hmmm...I take aciphex for acid reflux, and I've already been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and am medicated for that, although I'm due to have that checked again.

I'm a mess. I think I just need to go to the doctor and see if we can figure it all out. I got my period yesterday, and for some reason, the episodes of "gall bladder" attack pain seem to coincide with that.

Same here. I wonder if it has to do with muscle cramping associated with that? Do you ever take Midol or other muscle relaxants for that?

BTW, another thing you might avoid if you are using it regularly is ibuprofen and ... ugh, can't think of the name of it (not acetaminophen -- that's the better option if you need a pain reliever). Anyway, avoid Advil, Alleve, Motrin, etc.

I've done a lot of research on this, because I was (and still am on occasion) experiencing this same pain. There are a lot of conditions, including peptic ulcers, that share similar symptoms. With my doctor, I am one-by-one ruling things out.

I am not a hypochondriac, BTW! :001_smile: I suffered gallstone attacks for years, thinking it was "just gas" and didn't think it was worth mentioning to the doctor. Well, actually, I didn't even go to the doctor on a regular basis. Finally, a nurse friend heard me complaining about my middle-of-the-night attacks, and said it sounded like gallstones. Sure enough, it was! An ultrasound revealed numerous large stones and lots of "gravel" in my gall bladder. Yuck! The doctor who removed it said it was filled with water, which meant it had essentially stopped working several months (if not longer) before I had it removed.

I was on an endless carousel for years with the same kind of pain you describe. They ruled out my gallbladder as the cause. Then I got pancreatitis and the whole thing started up again. I changed my diet and it seemed to settle down, but eventually the pain came back (and it seemed related to my cycle). I thought it was pancreatitis again - but finally my cardiologist of all people put two and two together. It turns out that after several laparoscopies, kidney surgery and a c-section, I have developed tons of scar tissue and adhesions, and a lot of my insides are adhered. Sounds lovely, right? Although I must say it doesn't bother me half as much now that I know what it is, and I chose not to go through more surgery to have it all taken out because it will just come back - and it might be worse next time.

I was on an endless carousel for years with the same kind of pain you describe. They ruled out my gallbladder as the cause. Then I got pancreatitis and the whole thing started up again. I changed my diet and it seemed to settle down, but eventually the pain came back (and it seemed related to my cycle). I thought it was pancreatitis again - but finally my cardiologist of all people put two and two together. It turns out that after several laparoscopies, kidney surgery and a c-section, I have developed tons of scar tissue and adhesions, and a lot of my insides are adhered. Sounds lovely, right? Although I must say it doesn't bother me half as much now that I know what it is, and I chose not to go through more surgery to have it all taken out because it will just come back - and it might be worse next time.

Now, THAT is really interesting to me, because I know I suffer from adhesions. During my 3rd C-section, they had to separate my abdomen from my uterus, because it had adhered. (That made recovery so much more fun, let me tell you.)

I've since had gall bladder surgery and had an umbilical hernia repaired. I wonder if my pain is at all related to adhesions within? Very interesting to hear about that...

Now, THAT is really interesting to me, because I know I suffer from adhesions. During my 3rd C-section, they had to separate my abdomen from my uterus, because it had adhered. (That made recovery so much more fun, let me tell you.)

I've since had gall bladder surgery and had an umbilical hernia repaired. I wonder if my pain is at all related to adhesions within? Very interesting to hear about that...

Ouch! Reading that made my knees go a little weak. You have my sympathies.

I tend to envision my internal organs in the form of an overly-taped-together small child's art project!

Edited by Highereducation
Forgot to add something.

As it was explained to me-when they remove your gallbladder they leave the duct that attatches to your liver and intestine.(I assume because it is so close to the liver.) I was having pain years after having my gallbladder removed and even an episode of pancreatitis.I went in the hospital for an outpatient procedure.The dr. basically cleaned out the duct and put a stent in.

:iagree:

My infant son had to have his gall bladder removed and I was told this is one of the complications, to develop stones in the ducts. It can be life threatening, so I would seek a medical opinion right away. Not to scare you, but you can stretch the ducts out so much as to need a liver transplant, which is the worst complication of gallbladder removal.

Someone suggested fat intake, but in the most recent studies, they have found that it is not necessary to stick to a low fat diet, unless the accompanying diarrhea is annoying. In past times, they forced children w/o gall bladders to be on a low fat diet for life, but now they let them eat anything. My son gets loose stools if he eats something like chips, but it does not cause him discomfort.

I did not read any of the replies.....just on here real quick....

I went to the hospital a couple times for suspected gall bladder problems. It took a few yrs, but they finally discovered it was advanced endometriosis.

Endo causes severe pain. All sorts. Sometimes it feels like major indigestion. It can be the worst during ovulation.

HTH

For many years, I had problems with gas. I would get terrible gas cramps. Walking around can help and also OTC medicines with the highest dose of simethicone possible worked best for helping with gas. Another issue I have is I will get sick to my stomach if I eat foods with too many high fat foods because the body has a hard time processing high fat foods w/out the gall bladder.

Just my experience.

Joy

My mom still developed stones in her bile duct years after having her gall bladder removed. Several times, they went in laparoscopically with an ultrasonic wand (I believe), and dissolved the stones, so they could pass. Eventually, they went in and did some sort of bypass surgery, bypassing the bile duct, and she hasn't had any problems in several years.

I would definitely get checked out. I'm sure things have improved even more in recent years. Listen to your body. If it hurts, then something is wrong. You don't want to rupture your bile duct or something.

I told the surgeon about it, and he said that this was unheard of and did not offer any assistance. I went on an extremely low fat diet, and very gradually my body seemed to learn how to digest fat again. After about 3 years, I could eat almost anything. For the last year of that period, if I 'strayed' I could manage the effects by taking Pepcid AC, which is an OTC medication.

I am very stubborn when it comes to going to the doctor, and even more so about any kind of surgery...

I've done lots and lots of research about gallbladder/gallstone attacks. Almost all of the research I've done says that you can still have attacks even after surgery, and that removing your gallbladder can cause other problems.

I have gallstones, when they start bothering me I do a flush with olive oil and lemon juice. Stones are essentially made of cholesterol/fat/bile salts, etc. Since olive oil is an unsaturated fat it helps to dissolve the stones, along with the acid from the lemon juice so that you can pass the stones. It's gross but worth it. Do some research on the internet and you can find the recipe and instructions.

Gallstone attacks can be VERY painful. I've had some that lasted days and actually brought me to tears! I did not cry during childbirth - but a mean gallstone attack can get me crying...

I also have friends who have had their gallbladder removed who continue having problems with it...

I would suggest drinking lots of water, taking fiber, take fish oil, watch your fat intake - particularly greasy foods, dairy seems to cause me problems sometimes too.

You do have my sympathy, it’s very frustrating and painful. Good luck with this.