Menu

Jaw-dropping Legislation about to take effect: CSPIA

Have any of you heard yet of the CSPIA Act?

This is a law passed by Congress last summer - the Consumer Safety Protection Information Act. In a nutshell, it states that ANYTHING sold for use by children under 12 MUST be tested and then hold a certification that it does not contain lead above a certain amount set by the government. It's not limited to lead - the language is written so that the government can add any other materials deemed hazardous at any time.

Sounds like a good idea, right? Here's the catch. It applies to ANYTHING. Clothes. Books. Toys. Furniture. New or used. Clothing being sold for children must be tested by a lab and hold a certification that it does not contain lead. Books must be tested. Furniture must be tested. So ALL items, even those made out of natural fibers, such as paper, wood, etc., that would have absolutely NO chance of containing any lead! must be sent by their manufacturer to a lab for an expensive test to receive this certificate.

Do you know how many small businesses (like mine, for example - I sell workbooks meant for the use of children under 12!) are going to be put OUT of business? Resale shops, thrift stores - all of them - if they can't test and certify every item they are selling - they'll be out of business too.

I have known about this for about six weeks, because I am in a group of self-publishers that has been talking about it for that long. But if I were not in that group, I wouldn't know a thing. Because I have not heard ONE thing about any of this in the mainstream media. Have any of you? Granted, I don't spend a lot of time watching TV news, or reading newspapers ... though I do know there have been a FEW newspaper columns about it here and there.

This jaw-dropping legislation, begun with a good purpose in mind but pushed through too fast and not thought out thoroughly, has the amazing power to shut down small businesses everywhere. Book businesses like mine. Small clothing industries. Consignment shops, homemade toy and clothing businesses - all will be gone. Because only the big companies will be able to afford to keep up with the red tape and expensive testing required now by our government.

I'm trying to get the word out, and also trying to get a feel for just how many people are aware of this already. So please tell me: did you know about this yet? And if so, how did you hear about it?

Thanks!

Does it specify new or used? It has been my understanding that usually this type of legislature applies to new products. It would be virtually impossible to legislate thrift stores, garage/yard sales, craig's list and the like. I too am curious as to the verbage and the implications that would arrive for instance, private vs. corporate sales.

It does absolutely specify ANYTHING sold for use by children under 12, new AND used! I have been to the website for this bill and looked it over very carefully. Very scary, indeed.

And the fact that the buzz is SO slight concerns me GREATLY. The impact of this bill is going to be enormous. I have been around the internet, and I can tell you that the garment community is talking a great deal, as are other communities such as those of hand-made toys and my own - the self-publishers. But the talk otherwise seems to be almost non-existent. It's absolutely unreal - how many small businesses this is going to affect.

One thing you can do now: (1) Call your Congressmen! Tell them you are alarmed at the impact that the CSPIA is going to have on small businesses, and ask them to repeal or amend it immediately!

Thanks!

Edited by Amy from WT

Here is a blog that explains it well.

Here is a place to contact your legislators.

The petition, not that it seems to be helping.:glare:

I do not understand why there isn't outrage on the evening news about this every night. This is huge and the only companies that will survive are the huge ones that created the problem in the first place. I don't have strong enough words for this situation.

Thanks for the links! I don't understand, either, why this isn't in the news. I just learned about it today.

It would be virtually impossible to legislate thrift stores, garage/yard sales, craig's list and the like.

yeah they're never gonna be able to do it.

I've only ever heard of this here on this board....but I can imagine how on earth "they" would ever monitor, police, whatever, millions of yard sales and little thrifty places and whatever..... just ain't possible.....

Hmmm... I fully intend to write the senators on this one, not that that will do one little tiny bit of good. However, it seems likely to me that there will be a new explosion in the market of second-hand goods for "collectors." There is no way on this earth that an entity as large as e-bay would allow something like this to destroy their cash-cow. It seems that the used-goods market will go on as usual, with the addition of a disclaimer that the items sold are to be for collector's/decorative/historic purposes only, not intended for children, etc... Seems rather idiotic to have to do that, but then again, I have seen a lot of warnings that fit that category. (Like the warning on microwavable dinners: Caution- Contents will be hot after microwaving!)

Now the new item thing makes me irritated....no, make that angry..., no make that furious!! I just do NOT understand why, in a time when our economy is in ruins, the government would want to make matters worse by destroying successful, TAX-PAYING businesses. No, wait. I do understand. But if I go on, my post is going to violate the political topic ban. :leaving:

-Robin

I first heard about it from Etsy sellers -- I had the impression some were trying to get some sort of amendment that would absolve small manufacturers.

I've also heard about it in the Irish Dance world -- the dresses are typically made by small manufacturers and typically use sequins and crystals in the trim, which probably contain lead. The dresses are worn for about 15 minutes at a time, the possibly lead-containing parts never touch the child, but it's still illegal.

My kids came across my Thumbelina doll the other day. I've had that doll since I was 5 and I'm 48. The doll's head fell off (my brother yanked on it when I was about 10) but I kept the head and the body. The two parts were held together with an evil-looking metal spike. When I showed it to my mother, she said just be careful with it and tried to tape the head back on.

It's a wonder any of us survived childhood. This proposal smacks of overreaction.

I've heard that even children's books will be held to this new standard. I get a lot of my kids' books used through local used bookstores and places like Paperback Swap. This absolutely will affect their businesses.

I get almost physically ill when I think of the ramifications and there is nothing on the news. NOTHING!

I've heard that even children's books will be held to this new standard. I get a lot of my kids' books used through local used bookstores and places like Paperback Swap. This absolutely will affect their businesses.

I get almost physically ill when I think of the ramifications and there is nothing on the news. NOTHING!

According to the folks on the message boards at ABE (advanced book exchange), lead has not been in ink used in printing children's books since the late 1800s. I don't know if that is true or not -- just that this has been a huge topic of conversation over there.

DH isn't worried about it, and he has 45,000 kids' books in his inventory.

I told him to check all this out because the problem isn't whether there is lead in kids' books -- it is whether kids' books have to be tested for lead, which could be a mite expensive.

I just hope that a whole lot of folks don't throw away books and kids' clothing thinking, erroneously, that the law requires them to test or toss. I don't think that's how it will work out.

If the new law does mean that has to take place, then our lawmakers are even more stupid than I gave them credit for, which is remarkable because I thought they'd reached that limit a long time ago.

Edited by RoughCollie

Here is the section that mentions books. It doesn't really answer my question. The "In general, yes" part bothers me. Maybe somebody can explain it to me.

I found it here.

Does the new requirement for total lead on children's products apply to children's books, cassettes and CD's, printed game boards, posters and other printed goods used for children's education?

In general, yes. CPSIA defines children’s products as those products intended primarily for use by children 12 and under. Accordingly, these products would be subject to the lead limit for paint and surface coatings at 16 CFR part 1303 (and the 90 ppm lead paint limit effective August 14, 2009) as well as the new lead limits for children’s products containing lead (600 ppm lead limit effective February 10, 2009, and 300 ppm lead limit effective August 14, 2009). If the children’s products use printing inks or materials which actually become a part of the substrate, such as the pigment in a plastic article, or those materials which are actually bonded to the substrate, such as by electroplating or ceramic glazing, they would be excluded from the lead paint limit. However, these products are still considered to be lead containing products irrespective of whether such products are excluded from the lead paint limit and are subject to the lead limits for children’s products containing lead. For lead containing children’s products, CPSIA specifically provides that paint, coatings, or electroplating may not be considered a barrier that would render lead in the substrate inaccessible to a child.

It will probably hit the fan after the inauguration is over. MSM will need something new to report on.

The only thing that worries me is the possibility of MSM branding opponents of this as child haters/killers/poisoners, etc.

What is interesting is that such groups as the publishers of Mothering magazine, who initially let out a big hurray are now fully against the legislation. They are definitely not child killers, poisoners, etc... they just envision a world without cheap plastic junk instead of quality natural toys and clothes.

....is why no one seems to want to talk about the water main and transmission lines that are under the streets - the lead pipes that no one wants to replace because no one wants to dig everything up! :001_smile:

I come across stories like this:

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerseycity/index.ssf?/base/news-7/122232399813600.xml&coll=3

Yup. LEAD pipes underground. We replace them in our homes, but I wonder how MUCH of our water is carried in lead pipes (the ones that I can't SEE so I tend to ignore!) before I hand it to my kids.... as I've done for years. Yes, we have a filter at the kitchen sink, but not in the bathrooms where the teeth are brushed and the last sips of the evening are slurped side-ways from the faucet. I watch the videos from when the kids were little - drinking all of that water in the tub (ewww.....) and from the hose in the back yard and ......

So, no. I don't understand this kind of legislation. Reasonable efforts should be made to keep kids from noshing on lead. But really. Are we dealing with the problem or dealing with the parts of the problem that we can SEE?

.....reminds me of going to the school cafeteria's kitchen with my dad when I was little. He went to fix a walk-in cooler. I was amazed at how clean the floor was and commented about it to him. He sighed and said that they mopped the part that was EASY to mop every day. Then he took me around. Under things? OH MY!!! Behind things? I SWEAR that there must have been dead things under that layer of grease and cobwebs. The corners of the freezer were absolutely DISGUSTING. Those were harder to clean, so rather than skipping the main floor once a month in order to clean out the back of say - the freezer, they just kept mopping the same section of floor every night. So the kitchen looked clean. Even though after the tour, the original floor just didn't look so clean to me. :001_smile:

So they diligently mopped the floor. No one talked about the freezer. :001_smile:

I hope that someone resolves this one; I LOVE old books. Besides, no one here is sucking on them. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Edited by Janice in NJ