Menu

More issues with Amazon recently?

I know this is what happens. Something becomes indispensable, and then,  inevitably, it becomes awful. Google search is becoming like this, as are Google maps.

amazon: last two orders: fairly $ bottle of supplements arrived with the safety seal completely removed. Bit of traces of aluminum left on the edges but otherwise it’s gone: Amazon: item not returnable, contact manufacturer 

ordered peppermint oil, received eucalyptus-something oil. Amazon: item not returnable, contact manufacturer. 
the first was resolved after a fairly lengthy chat (after making it past the chatbot). But this is really a waste of time.

any ideas what to do with eucalyptus oil? 🤣

Eucalyptus oil is good for cold and flu season. Diffuse it when you’re congested. 

But I’d demand a refund. If they sent something unsafe or not what you ordered, that is their fault, or the seller’s fault, not yours. They’re breaking the law here. Idk if it is against the law in India where the first few layers of customer service is, but if you escalate to an American you will get a refund. I’ve found rating the conversation with CS a zero and stating you’re going to dispute with a cc company because this is fraud tends to result in an American calling me immediately, but the last time it happened was several years ago. If you don’t want to do that, you can dispute the charge with your credit card. It’s fraud so they will take your side. 

• Like 6

I'm more cautious than I used to be about making sure purchases are returnable to Amazon, not a third party.  I like Amazon for quick shipping and easy returns - if the returns aren't easy, then it's not worth it to me

Edited by Tenaj
  • Like 4

Amazon has been steadily worse for us for a couple of years. We used to get 2 day shipping on nearly everything. By April when we let our membership lapse even Prime eligible items took almost always took about a week to get here. Twice I had them charge me back for a return. They gave me the refund when I shipped it but charged it back weeks later saying they never got it. I had to be extremely pushy with customer service and move up the ladder to get them to reissue the refund.

2 hours ago, QueenCat said:

I've never had them not refund me on something.

Food items/consumables frequently aren't refundable.
I had a leg massager that wasn't returnable.

I did have SUNBEAM change from "free return" (I should have made a screen shot) to "customer pays return shipping" in the week or two between ordering it, receiving it, and realizing I didn't want the item.   (It shipped from sunbeam - a 'reputable' company. . . . . ) - and my review mentioning this, wasn't posted.

I've occasionally had issues - but most of them were successfully resolved.  e.g. ordering a "like new" collapsible cool bag that was broken (and filthy) . . they sent me a new one and I sent back the broken one and I didn't have to pay any extra.   Same with the hitch lock that was sold "like new" - but had no keys, and someone had used a saw on the shank portion to open it with no keys.  completely unusable. 
those are types of things I think are very sloppy inspectors restocking returned items.

It is possible to get a real person - they don't make it easy, but it's doable. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I used to get great customer service from Amazon, but now it seems hit or miss.  When it's good, it's great.  When it's bad, it's so frustrating and time-consuming.  I dread contacting them now because it can be so stressful.  

35 minutes ago, Spryte said:

My only issues are with third party sellers.

Amazon does guarantee 3rd party sellers. I try very hard to avoid them but occasionally it happens.

its called A to Z Guarantee 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KatieJ said:

Amazon does guarantee 3rd party sellers. I try very hard to avoid them but occasionally it happens.

its called A to Z Guarantee 

yes, it seems like it's risky for sellers since buyers really have all the power there.  Some of my friends who have sold on Amazon have complained about this issue.  

Did you get anywhere with the individual company? I had an issue one with getting one item that was supposed to be a ten pack. It was from a Mom and Pop shop on the west coast that I suspect had people working who weren’t fluent in English (the context at the time suggested this—I don’t remember the details). They made it right and were very happy that I contacted them. It worked out fine.

I think people mix eucalyptuses oil with epsom salts for a nice open-the-sinuses bath when you have a cold.

14 hours ago, madteaparty said:

ordered peppermint oil, received eucalyptus-something oil. Amazon: item not returnable, contact manufacturer. 

If it was sold and shipped by Amazon, this would seem to be an Amazon issue, and they should have sent you the correct item.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KatieJ said:

I would push hard for a refund and not stop until I got it.

i have never had them refuse a refund. 

I did this and got the refund eventually. It’s just it seems to get longer/more hoops while the mistakes with items seem to be more frequent. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

. It’s just it seems to get longer/more hoops while the mistakes with items seem to be more frequent. 

I agree.  And I worry about getting tagged as a troublemaker or something like that when I'm only contacting them when the issues are their fault.  

Edited by Kassia

You need to live chat with them. About 3-5 times per year I will receive supplements/food items that are damaged or look suspicious. When you try to return, there are no exceptions. When you chat with an agent, they always preface that they can make a one time exception for me. That truly irritates me. Someone damaged it and sent it to me. But I’m polite and I say how kind of you, and I would like to return it to you so that you may inspect it and see that I’m telling the truth. There’s no point arguing with the agent. With third party sellers, I complain directly to them. I’ve always gotten a refund.

Kassia mentioned about being tagged. But I shop enough on Amazon that complaining a handful times a year shouldn’t trigger anything. Plus I always insist on sending it back, sending photos, etc. 

That said Instacart is completely different. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

When you chat with an agent, they always preface that they can make a one time exception for me. That truly irritates me. Someone damaged it and sent it to me. But I’m polite and I say how kind of you, and I would like to return it to you so that you may inspect it and see that I’m telling the truth. There’s no point arguing with the agent.

The exception comment really irritates me too.

I've had to send photos even during chat of damaged items in the past.  They sent me an email for me to attach my photos to so they could see I was being honest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

The exception comment really irritates me too.

I've had to send photos even during chat of damaged items in the past.  They sent me an email for me to attach my photos to so they could see I was being honest. 

Instacart is way worse. You send a picture of yogurt with mold. They take several days to consider your issue. They will refuse a refund. I was flagged though which means anything that happens after that point they will never refund even if you file an appeal. I’ve read on Reddit that complaints are supposed to be about the delivery person not the food items but damaged items is an option when you click on complaint. I’ve stopped the subscription. 

• Sad 1