Menu

The river has crested and our library, YMCA and HEB are safe!!!!

Posted (edited)

Yet again, we're waiting to see how bad the flooding will be in Houston. This time it's only affecting areas downstream of some of our drinking water reservoirs, Lake Conroe and Lake Livingston, and bordering on Lake Houston. But for those of us who live here, it's almost as bad as Harvey. The water should crest tonight and so far it's only flooded low lying areas that always take on water. It's rising and some of our major local roads are impassable. The water is rising in the retention pools near our main shopping district. I'm worried about the YMCA and library because that bayou is rising fast. 

We lived with the aftermath of Harvey for a whole year as places were rebuilt. This time, I don't think they'd bother. I can't blame businesses. I wouldn't reopen in the same location after two major floods in less than 10 years.

My own house is high and dry. We didn't flood during Harvey and we won't flood this time, but I'm just depressed thinking about having all of our main business district shut down for a long stretch. I'm worried they won't rebuild. I'm worried that my nephew's summer plans will be trashed if they YMCA floods. I'm bummed that my library branch may have to close.

I feel better for having shared my anxiety. Send some good vibes our way to keep the water away!

ETA: The river has crested at 3.5 ft less than expected. It looks like our business district will stay dry. I am so relieved!

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 8
  • Sad 23

I’m so sorry.  It’s incredibly awful.  Houston is in a terrible position with climate change because it’s such a huge city made pretty much entirely of concrete on a flood plain. 

• Like 2

I’m so sorry. I hope the library, YMCA, and so forth are spared, and life returns to normal soon.

We all need to be thinking ahead. Might as well plan to move places that are routinely flooding, unless some other sort of mitigation is possible.

• chiguirre changed the title to The river has crested and our library, YMCA and HEB are safe!!!!