Menu

Duck eggs

sheryl

So I found a woman (homeschooling mom) selling fresh chicken eggs.  I picked up 1 1/2 dozen a couple of weeks ago.  DH has developed a sensitivity to eggs over the last 4-5 years.  We used to egg scrambled, poached.  If he eats that now it lands him in bed - starts about 2-3 hours after he eats the eggs and he's out of it for 3-6 hours, sleeping, upset tummy.  He CAN eat ABOUT the equivalent of 1/3 - 1/2 egg tops and I've found that the homemade crepes I make are the equivalent to 1/4-1/3 egg!  He does fine.  ANYWAY, that's why I'm buying more eggs.  To make a large batch of crepe batter, divide and freeze.  Just pulled one brick last night. Thawed overnight.  Made crepes this Saturday morning. YUM!

QUESTION - when I picked up the chicken eggs last time, this woman gave me 1/2 dozen duck eggs.  I've never eaten duck eggs. For some reason I'm intimidated by it.  WHY?  How does it compare to the chicken egg?  Taste, consistency.

These eggs are not fertilized.  I asked to be sure and they are unfertilized.  

On another note, dh can eat scrambled eggs at a hotel sometimes.  Weird.  Is that even real egg?  Got me thinking if maybe it was the oil/butter brand used, cast iron skillet, etc.  

Duck eggs are bigger so factor that if baking, though not as big as goose egg. The yolk does taste stronger to me when eating half boiled eggs but not significantly so.

I think hotels use liquid egg mixture (for convenience) and more milk for scrambled eggs.

ETA: the eggs in chinese mooncakes are duck eggs.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

We used to know a local kid who raised ducks and sold the eggs. I don't recall that they tasted very different, just that they were big (obviously) and very pretty. 

I wouldn't count on all hotel eggs being actually eggs, or at least not heavily processed.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Duck eggs are bigger so factor that if baking, though not as big as goose egg. The yolk does taste stronger to me when eating half boiled eggs but not significantly so.

I think hotels use liquid egg mixture (for convenience) and more milk for scrambled eggs.

ETA: the eggs in chinese mooncakes are duck eggs.

Yes, they are a bit bigger.  I wouldn't use for baking (yet) but thought I'd try duck scrambled eggs to see if he has a reaction.  That explains the hotel eggs LOL!   More milk to egg ratio.   I might be bold to try that.  Hmm.  Taking the 1/3 egg and adding more milk.  That's an idea to explore. Thanks! 

19 minutes ago, MEmama said:

We used to know a local kid who raised ducks and sold the eggs. I don't recall that they tasted very different, just that they were big (obviously) and very pretty. 

I wouldn't count on all hotel eggs being actually eggs, or at least not heavily processed.

Right, I'm wondering what the egg product is in hotels.   They don't fluff up like fresh eggs.  

6 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Duck eggs taste richer to me, heavier.

YES!  Thanks for that confirmation.  If my memory is right, that's exactly what the woman told me.  Do you like the taste?

3 hours ago, sheryl said:

Right, I'm wondering what the egg product is in hotels.   They don't fluff up like fresh eggs.  

It's probably liquid eggs. I don't know why they are so different though. I was given a thing of liquid eggs before and somehow it's different than regular eggs.

• Like 1

@sheryl@Clarita

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/uglc29/how_do_restaurants_make_scrambled_eggs/

“I worked at Bob Evans. They used a "liquid egg product". Think a gallon of milk, but scrambled homogenized eggs instead.”

“Yep… ‘pasteurized liquid egg’ is the key. Might get it from a local restaurant supply store like GFS or see if you can buy a carton from the restaurant.”

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Clarita said:

It's probably liquid eggs. I don't know why they are so different though. I was given a thing of liquid eggs before and somehow it's different than regular eggs.

That's interesting.  I really will keep my eyes open now to find an ingredient list for these eggs they offer in hotels. 

Just now, Arcadia said:

@sheryl@Clarita

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/uglc29/how_do_restaurants_make_scrambled_eggs/

“I worked at Bob Evans. They used a "liquid egg product". Think a gallon of milk, but scrambled homogenized eggs instead.”

“Yep… ‘pasteurized liquid egg’ is the key. Might get it from a local restaurant supply store like GFS or see if you can buy a carton from the restaurant.”

Oh wow!  Interesting.  I like Bob Evans.  Many fond memories of the restaurant and dh, dd and I used to visit the "farm" when driving back to my home state of Ohio.  I'm still not getting the concept.   When I crack an egg open and whip it, it becomes liquified.  ????  

34 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I'm still not getting the concept.   When I crack an egg open and whip it, it becomes liquified.  ????  

E.g. https://michaelfoods.com/products/papettis-frozen-liquid-traditional-scrambled-egg-mix-k12-6-5-lb-cook-in-bags/

“Ingredients

WHOLE EGGS, WHEY, SKIM MILK, XANTHAN GUM, CITRIC ACID, 0.12% WATER ADDED AS CARRIER FOR CITRIC ACID.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

E.g. https://michaelfoods.com/products/papettis-frozen-liquid-traditional-scrambled-egg-mix-k12-6-5-lb-cook-in-bags/

“Ingredients

WHOLE EGGS, WHEY, SKIM MILK, XANTHAN GUM, CITRIC ACID, 0.12% WATER ADDED AS CARRIER FOR CITRIC ACID.”

LOL on me!  I'm not getting why our whole, fresh eggs whipped to make scrambled eggs is different from above EXCEPT I don't use the extras next to it.  

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

LOL on me!  I'm not getting why our whole, fresh eggs whipped to make scrambled eggs is different from above EXCEPT I don't use the extras next to it.  

Maybe the proportion of egg to milk?

• Like 1

We have chickens and ducks, and eat the eggs of both types. I personally do not care for duck eggs scrambled or made into omelet, but our whole family prefers them for baking (richer). Many of my international friends dearly love the duck eggs, so that's where most of ours go. 

I understand the mental hesitation, but a fertilized egg (whether chicken OR duck) can only grow a chick / duckling if it has been incubated at *just right* conditions for 21 days (chicken) / 28-35 or so (duck). So if the eggs are being collected on the daily, they CANNOT grow a chick. If that helps. 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Maybe the proportion of egg to milk?

YES SCOUT!  Thank you.  Arcadia did say that in her first reply to me and just reread this post.  So, that is why then.  That makes sense.  

1 hour ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

We have chickens and ducks, and eat the eggs of both types. I personally do not care for duck eggs scrambled or made into omelet, but our whole family prefers them for baking (richer). Many of my international friends dearly love the duck eggs, so that's where most of ours go. 

I understand the mental hesitation, but a fertilized egg (whether chicken OR duck) can only grow a chick / duckling if it has been incubated at *just right* conditions for 21 days (chicken) / 28-35 or so (duck). So if the eggs are being collected on the daily, they CANNOT grow a chick. If that helps. 🙂

OK, I'm going to "test" a duck egg scrambled!  I hate to waste them.  This homeschool mom/egg seller (her name is actually April) just gave me these for free.   She said she had so many and was just giving them away to people.   Yes, I understand the fertilized egg thing.  I dove head first into understanding the biology behind it several years ago.  It's still just knowing.  That's why when I'm looking for a new egg seller I always ask if they have only the "girls" or are they in mixed company.  LOL!  My former egg seller, a man, had the typical (I guess) low production during the winter months so I found another egg seller, April.  I'm glad as she has the pretty whites, browns, blues, greens, tans, etc.  I get them unwashed to preserve them.

I would like to put out on counter but opted to put in frig.  

44 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I grew up mostly eating duck eggs . The whites are thicker. They make the perfect sponge cakes. Really great for all baking.

I don't like them boiled. But that might be just prejudice on my part because when I was a kid I had a boiled one that had a half grown duckling in it.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!   LALALALA  I didn't read that.   So many of you are saying duck eggs are great for baking.  I'll remember that.  Will try a duck egg scrambled, boiled or both just to get an idea.  Wish I would have posted this earlier because I just made dh's birthday cake last Wed.  

• Like 2

Eggs used to upset my daughter's stomach. Any kind of eggs. We finally figured out it was the white which is not unusual due to the albumin. She started separating the yolks and using only that to make scrambled eggs or to bake and was fine. Duck eggs can get you quite the rise with any recipe that calls for baking powder. Adjust accordingly. I have no idea why I have encountered it but wondered if it was higher fat or protein count affecting the result.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

“Ingredients

The eggs many hotels use come in pouches with the addition of citric acid only. They are pasteurized, so less risk of food borne illness.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sheryl said:

YES!  Thanks for that confirmation.  If my memory is right, that's exactly what the woman told me.  Do you like the taste?

It’s not bad to me, just different. I have to eat less of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Eggs used to upset my daughter's stomach. Any kind of eggs. We finally figured out it was the white which is not unusual due to the albumin. She started separating the yolks and using only that to make scrambled eggs or to bake and was fine. Duck eggs can get you quite the rise with any recipe that calls for baking powder. Adjust accordingly. I have no idea why I have encountered it but wondered if it was higher fat or protein count affecting the result.

Right!  I've been pondering the same thing but thought it might be the yolk.  I might try separating then and offer DH yolk only to see if he has a reaction.  Next I could try a "white" omelet.  

38 minutes ago, bibiche said:

The eggs many hotels use come in pouches with the addition of citric acid only. They are pasteurized, so less risk of food borne illness.

Thanks!  It does make sense that more milk might be added which was already suggested.  That does not seem to bother my dh as much.

I wonder whether it is the dairy that he has gotten sensitized to rather than the eggs?  Because that reaction sounds like dairy sensitivity to me.  And unlike a true allergy, with dairy it seems to be proportionate to dose rather than binary for a lot of adults.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I wonder whether it is the dairy that he has gotten sensitized to rather than the eggs?  Because that reaction sounds like dairy sensitivity to me.  And unlike a true allergy, with dairy it seems to be proportionate to dose rather than binary for a lot of adults.

I know that would normally make sense and one I've considered back and forth but dh eats cereal and milk every work day M-F. 

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Is it possible your eggs aren’t cooked thoroughly? The hotel ones come already pasteurized. 

Right. I like my scrambled eggs well done (dry).  My uncle, when he was alive, liked his scrambled eggs slightly moist/wet.  

I've tried heating them longer and longer to see if that makes a difference.  Will revisit that!   🙂 Thanks!

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My DH gets belly aches from too many eggs. He can handle a couple a week. 

Regular eggs?  Chicken eggs?  My husband can have NO more than equivalent to 1/3 - 1/2 egg per day.  That 1/2 is even generous.  As you can see it's not enough scrambled egg LOL.  But each crepe comes out to 1/3 + but less than 1/2 and he does fine.  Sorry to hear that about your husband.   If my husband goes over his limit, he'll get sick about 2 hours later and he'll have to rest in bed for another 4 hours.  

19 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Chook eggs. He gets stomach cramps if he has too much.  He can handle about 3 a week. 

LOL, Australian chook eggs (chicken eggs).  Had to Google that one.  I'm going to re-evaluate this whole thing with dh and try use a couple of the ideas here to see if it makes a difference. 

• Like 1