Menu

Kelloggs boycott

rebcoola

I have no formal education with respect to economics but I like to ponder the big issues behind this kind of stuff. 🙂

I found this article and it seems to ring true - can those with more econ knowledge than I have let me know what they think?

https://theconversation.com/how-shareholder-profits-conquered-capitalism-and-how-workers-can-win-back-its-benefits-for-themselves-103781

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

An example is in Vulture capitalists (venture capitalists, if you don't catch my sarcasm) have been purchasing and systematically destroying stable cash cow companies to extract wealth and then dumping the financing of those purchases back onto the company as debt which forces them to go bankrupt. They are behaving exactly as intended based on the policies we've set up.  

This is something like what has been happening in dh’s industry, and why I want him to get out. He has been sold (and yes, I mean “he”, even though paperwork has a company name) multiple times now, and the latest cut him out of shares. He hasn’t been able to operate his company to its full capability in years. 

I don't understand how buying store brands helps much. AFAIK most of those, although I'm sure not all, are made by the big corporations, but instead of carrying a Kellogg's (or whatever megacorp) label it has the store brand label. The megacorp is still getting your money, although perhaps a little less of it. I buy some store brands to save a little on things where there isn't a huge difference in taste or quality, but I wouldn't pat myself on the back for sticking it to big megacorp, 'cause I don't think that's true.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I don't understand how buying store brands helps much. AFAIK most of those, although I'm sure not all, are made by the big corporations, but instead of carrying a Kellogg's (or whatever megacorp) label it has the store brand label. The megacorp is still getting your money, although perhaps a little less of it. I buy some store brands to save a little on things where there isn't a huge difference in taste or quality, but I wouldn't pat myself on the back for sticking it to big megacorp, 'cause I don't think that's true.

People are sharing which store brands are Kelloggs the aldis Kelloggs dupes are melville which I believe they said is Post owned

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

It helps because I'm paying them half as much for effectively the same product. I know that the store brands are mostly made by big companies, but so far they haven't increased the prices nearly as much as their name brands. Probably because Walmart, Kroger, HEB, etc. have more bargaining power to curb the greedflation increases than individual consumers.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Not all of them are.  Since we are specifically targeting Kellogg right now I know I’ve seen that nothing in Aldi gives money to Kelloggs.  I’m not sure about Great Value yet, or Kroger.  There are a handful of options that send money to family, employee or co-op owned companies, and if they get a windfall next quarter that’s even better.   People are also just cooking at home, waffles aren’t hard to make.  Or switch to oatmeal or eggs for breakfast for a few months.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chiguirre said:

It helps because I'm paying them half as much for effectively the same product. I know that the store brands are mostly made by big companies, but so far they haven't increased the prices nearly as much as their name brands. Probably because Walmart, Kroger, HEB, etc. have more bargaining power to curb the greedflation increases than individual consumers.

I would also guess that Kelloggs makes less profit off generic versions that they do on their full priced name brand option.   That’s still helpful at hitting their profit margin.  

• Like 1

Anyone looking for alternatives could see if you have an independent grocer that carries Walnut Creek brand. Also, it appears that Simply Nature products from Aldi are not owned by any nasty parent company or at least I couldn't find one.

I get Walnut Creek brand items at a bulk Mennonite food store. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Thinking about the railroad and coal workers paid in script so they couldn't shop anywhere but the company store. I am just waiting for that idea to come back in vogue. I could see it. Our current leadership is so entirely owned by big business that it must be time for that idea to come back around. 😠

I think the modern equivalent is being unbanked and being paid on a debit card. 

• Like 1

On a related capitalism note, this latest study posted in the Lancet shows that hospitals that moved from being public to private decreased in quality of care. In seeking to increase profit, labor costs were cut. 13 longitudinal studies from a variety of countries were examined. Take note, Canada. https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2024-02-29-new-study-links-hospital-privatisation-worse-patient-care

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I haven't been following the Kellogg's situation closely, but over the last few years multiple corporations have openly said (in so many words) in their earnings reports/calls with investors that they're taking advantage of inflation to increase their profits. They know the not-well-informed masses will blame it on inflation and not notice that they (the corporations) are reporting record breaking profits.

Yeah, that is how a capitalistic society works.   Again, I don't think this is boycott worthy, if I do it for them, I would feel it unethical to not research every single thing I buy and make sure each company is not trying to make too much profit.   And then the question is, how much is too much profit?

We still go to Disney World and everyone keeps complaining that they are overpriced and capitalizing on the profit margin.   However, every single time we have gone, it is packed to the gills.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Yeah, that is how a capitalistic society works.   Again, I don't think this is boycott worthy, if I do it for them, I would feel it unethical to not research every single thing I buy and make sure each company is not trying to make too much profit.   And then the question is, how much is too much profit?

We still go to Disney World and everyone keeps complaining that they are overpriced and capitalizing on the profit margin.   However, every single time we have gone, it is packed to the gills.  

In order to actually live our lives, we do have to pick and choose/prioritize.

For me, it’s easy to boycott Wendy’s, since I already boycotted them for being the last holdout on the Fair Food agreement, lol. 

It is *almost* impossible for me to boycott, say, Walmart. I hate them, but I sometimes have to go anyway.

Now that I learned to make the best and easiest English muffins possible, I’m not looking to buy much prepackaged breakfast foot. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

So, I have zero formal education in economics. But I thought there was a well-being component to capitalism. Did I make that up in my head? (Sincere, not sarcasm. I know I’m not always clear.)

The only economics education I have is what I followed along with and learned while teaching my kids, but this was explained in their course as "the tragedy of the commons." The main idea is that everyone needs clean air, fresh water, biodiversity, educated population, healthy neighbors and communities, but there is very little individual benefit to making less profitable choices to protect or achieve these things unless everyone has to do it. Left to choice, someone will selfishly benefit with little risk as long as everyone else protects it. But everyone knows this and who wants to be the schmuck who doesn't take advantage of something their neighbor is doing? Thus, unregulated capitalism does not protect "the commons" well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Now that I learned to make the best and easiest English muffins possible, I’m not looking to buy much prepackaged breakfast foot. 

Total distraction moment!

Can we spin this off or provide a recipe, please?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Paige said:

The only economics education I have is what I followed along with and learned while teaching my kids, but this was explained in their course as "the tragedy of the commons." The main idea is that everyone needs clean air, fresh water, biodiversity, educated population, healthy neighbors and communities, but there is very little individual benefit to making less profitable choices to protect or achieve these things unless everyone has to do it. Left to choice, someone will selfishly benefit with little risk as long as everyone else protects it. But everyone knows this and who wants to be the schmuck who doesn't take advantage of something their neighbor is doing? Thus, unregulated capitalism does not protect "the commons" well. 

Nobel laureate Ronald Coase offers an alternative to regulation--assigning of property rights..  If someone faces both the cost and benefit of protecting the water, for example, thenthey have the incentive to do so.   Coase's suggesting is actually to use the power of competitive markets and incentives to provide for the commons.  

I’ll be boycotting cereal in general out of a necessity soon. $19.90 for a 1kg bag of toasted muesli today! There is one store nearby that has a nice own brand version but they are constantly sold out (no wonder!)

Muesli used to be a cheaper option than boxed junky cereals but it’s become more expensive for some reason.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’ll be boycotting cereal in general out of a necessity soon. $19.90 for a 1kg bag of toasted muesli today! There is one store nearby that has a nice own brand version but they are constantly sold out (no wonder!)

Muesli used to be a cheaper option than boxed junky cereals but it’s become more expensive for some reason.

$19.90!

Faint.

I am so sorry! That is just wrong.

5 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

$19.90!

Faint.

I am so sorry! That is just wrong.

It’s crazy. However oats are stil only like $3.00 a kg so we can just switch to them, or figure out how to toast our own. I don’t understand why the price has hiked so insanely lately.