Menu

Dogs and Airfryers

ktgrok

My dogs are now terrified of my air fryer. To the point my 100 pound wolf hybrid/goldendoodle mutt will climb up my body while shaking uncontrollably and the 90 lb hound/newfie mix tries to escape the house. 

If you google this turns out to be VERY common and the best guess is it makes a noise that hurts their ears. I'm not going to use it if it is physically causing them pain! So...now I can't use my air fryer. They were so spooked by the end that just touching it or moving it on the counter has them running and hiding!

I do NOT remember dogs having an issue with my last brand, which was more the toaster oven type. 

Anyone have an air fryer that can do large capacity (I have a family of 6 with 3 being adults and one being a teen) and doesn't scare or hurt their dogs? 

I didn't love my last one, but I'm thinking since it was built differently maybe that is why it was okay with them. One I can use is better than one I can't, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

13 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Oh, no!

My dogs don’t mind my air fryer (not large capacity), but I had a GSD/mutt who would break out of his crate when the waffle maker went off.

it's crazy! And someone who tried using their air fryer outside, accidentally did it while dog was outside too and dog jumped the fence and ran off!

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m sorry, but we cannot have an air fryer thread without me asking if your oven has a convection broil button. That’s the biggest air fryer you’re gonna get. You don’t need one if you have this feature. 

Nope, Not even regular convection. The oven WILL get replaced this year, I'm hoping. I miss the one at the old house that had a convection setting! 

17 minutes ago, maize said:

I have a version of this and it's been fantastic; cooked our entire Thanksgiving dinner two years ago when the oven was out of commission. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-DT251-Countertop-Convection-Thermometer/dp/B08BXXQ37X/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?crid=1QW480IPBFPF5&keywords=ninja+foodi+air+fryer&qid=1704833305&sprefix=ninja+food%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-11

It's that brand that I have now, although not that style, so I'd be hesitant to get it again. Also, my thermometer on mine stopped working a while ago 😞

1 hour ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

I have one like Maize posted, but it’s Breville brand. Love it. My MIL has an air fryer and was marveling over the air fryer setting on our Smart Oven because we can put in two trays and food isn’t touching like in many kinds of air fryers, so the air circulates for things to get truly crispy on all sides.

Breville Smart Oven

We just replaced our old air fryer with this type and I love it! Ours is silent, to the point that we can't tell it's actually running (though maybe dogs can, idk; our kitties don't seem to notice), whereas the other kind was SO LOUD it drove me crazy. The oven style is so much more versatile, too.

I'm sorry your pups are suffering, OP. I hope you can find something that works! 

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

We just replaced our old air fryer with this type and I love it! Ours is silent, to the point that we can't tell it's actually running (though maybe dogs can, idk; our kitties don't seem to notice), whereas the other kind was SO LOUD it drove me crazy. The oven style is so much more versatile, too.

I'm sorry your pups are suffering, OP. I hope you can find something that works! 

Which one do you have? Quiet sounds like a better bet!

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m sorry, but we cannot have an air fryer thread without me asking if your oven has a convection broil button. That’s the biggest air fryer you’re gonna get. You don’t need one if you have this feature. 

I would have to disagree with this. I have convection broil but the air fryer is still light years ahead of the oven for both crispiness and speed.  We vastly prefer anything made in the airfryer over the convection oven.

For the longest time I thought that airfryers were over hyped and really since I had the convection oven what was the point of getting an airfryer.  But I got one so the kids could prepare quick snacks.  And now people will wait for me to make batches of food in the airfryer because they don't want it made in the oven anymore.

• Like 3

OMG!!! YES!!! I just got my first air fryer (Ninja Double Basket Foodi) and my red heeler is absolutely terrified of the beeping it makes. She will shake uncontrollably, then eventually go upstairs and hide. It’s so sad! It actually makes me want to not use it unless necessary! I’ve tried giving her a snack every time I turn it on (maybe a positive association???), but it hasn’t worked yet.  I don’t know about it hurting their ears though, bc my boxer isn’t bothered a bit by it. Not at all. It’s so weird though—I use beeping timers in the kitchen all the time, the microwave beeps…no problem at all. Just the air fryer!

ETA: This is the one I have that terrifies my dog. It’s just a normal sounding beep to me, maaaaybe slightly louder than the oven timer.🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by mmasc

23 minutes ago, mmasc said:

ETA: This is the one I have that terrifies my dog. It’s just a normal sounding beep to me, maaaaybe slightly louder than the oven timer.🤷🏻‍♀️

I was looking at the reviews on Amazon and other people posted their dogs had bad reactions too

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I would have to disagree with this. I have convection broil but the air fryer is still light years ahead of the oven for both crispiness and speed.  We vastly prefer anything made in the airfryer over the convection oven.

For the longest time I thought that airfryers were over hyped and really since I had the convection oven what was the point of getting an airfryer.  But I got one so the kids could prepare quick snacks.  And now people will wait for me to make batches of food in the airfryer because they don't want it made in the oven anymore.

Us too we even bought a special basket it takes forever to get heated and doesnt get things as crispy. 

We have the instant vortex that doesn't bother our dogs but don't remember how big it is

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

OMG!!! YES!!! I just got my first air fryer (Ninja Double Basket Foodi) and my red heeler is absolutely terrified of the beeping it makes. She will shake uncontrollably, then eventually go upstairs and hide. It’s so sad! It actually makes me want to not use it unless necessary! I’ve tried giving her a snack every time I turn it on (maybe a positive association???), but it hasn’t worked yet.  I don’t know about it hurting their ears though, bc my boxer isn’t bothered a bit by it. Not at all. It’s so weird though—I use beeping timers in the kitchen all the time, the microwave beeps…no problem at all. Just the air fryer!

Ok, so maybe it is the Ninja brand in particular? We do notice that the beeps really freak the dogs out, but i figured it was because the beep comes before the rest of the noise. Although for a while they even started hiding when I used the regular oven or a timer - any beep. That seems to be better now that I'm not using the air fryer anymore. 

59 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Us too we even bought a special basket it takes forever to get heated and doesnt get things as crispy. 

We have the instant vortex that doesn't bother our dogs but don't remember how big it is

Instant brand  is what I had before, that didn't bother them. So good to have another bit of anecdata about that brand. I had this one, I think. https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Vortex-Plus-Rotisserie-10/dp/B07VM28XTR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3EGOQLPKESLZW&keywords=instant+pot+brand+air+fryer+toaster+rotisserie&qid=1704852346&sprefix=instant+pot+brand+air+fryer+toaster+rotisserie%2Caps%2C100&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Edited by ktgrok

5 hours ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

I have one like Maize posted, but it’s Breville brand. Love it. My MIL has an air fryer and was marveling over the air fryer setting on our Smart Oven because we can put in two trays and food isn’t touching like in many kinds of air fryers, so the air circulates for things to get truly crispy on all sides.

Breville Smart Oven

This is what I have too. I love it! It's perfect for just 2 of us, so now I use the oven to store the cast iron pots.

I think it's a little loud, but it doesn't bother my dog at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

When we adopted our poodle, he was afraid almost of all loud sounds. We don't know what he had to go through as we got him from a rescue center, but it was a big problem for us. It is impossible to be always quiet at home. We ended up taking him to a trainer (we found both the rescue center and a trainer via the petsylife platform, maybe it'll be useful for someone else). Fortunately, it helped, though he still can't stand the sound of a drill, but now he just moves out. 

Edited by Rosla

On 1/21/2024 at 6:56 PM, Rosla said:

When we adopted our poodle, he was afraid almost of all loud sounds. We don't know what he had to go through as we got him from a rescue center, but it was a big problem for us. It is impossible to be always quiet at home. We ended up taking him to a trainer (we found both the rescue center and a trainer via the petsylife platform, maybe it'll be useful for someone else). Fortunately, it helped, though he still can't stand the sound of a drill, but now he just moves out. 

The thing is, the dogs were fine iwth the old air fryer (which was also loud, but different pitch), have no issue with fireworks, power tools, etc etc. The noise is physically painful for them from this one, I think. There is no other reason I can think of that both dogs would suddenly be terrified. 

On 1/9/2024 at 2:42 PM, KungFuPanda said:

I have both; 'tis not the same.