Menu

What to do with leftover lamb roast?

YaelAldrich

Yes to Rogan Josh. We made this last year with leftovers.  I found it in a collection of recipes using leftover lamb. It was so good!

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lamb-rogan-josh

Here's the collection for other ideas:

https://www.foodandwine.com/holidays-events/easter/6-ways-use-leftover-easter-lamb

ETA: Ugh I just realized the recipe includes yogurt which I believe will not work. I'm sorry! I'll leave the idea and collection up in case something is useful. 

Edited by marbel

I'd vote for serving with pita, tomato/cucumber salad, and tahina sauce.  But shepherd's pie would be good, too, as long as you're confident that the whole thing will get eaten today.  

More importantly, however, where did you buy this lamb shoulder, and did you have to sell any of your children to pay for it? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I do tangine with leftover lamb all the time. Just start it with all the spices and lemon and tomatoes and mabye some chick peas, and add the already-cooked lamb and some red pepper chunks 30 minutes before serving, when you start the rice or couscous or whatever.

How on EARTH did you end up with TWO POUNDS of leftover lamb? What does a fullgrown lamb even weigh?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marbel said:

Yes to Rogan Josh. We made this last year with leftovers.  I found it in a collection of recipes using leftover lamb. It was so good!

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lamb-rogan-josh

Here's the collection for other ideas:

https://www.foodandwine.com/holidays-events/easter/6-ways-use-leftover-easter-lamb

ETA: Ugh I just realized the recipe includes yogurt which I believe will not work. I'm sorry! I'll leave the idea and collection up in case something is useful. 

I can get non dairy yogurt I want, so that is in the realm of possibilities

2 hours ago, JennyD said:

I'd vote for serving with pita, tomato/cucumber salad, and tahina sauce.  But shepherd's pie would be good, too, as long as you're confident that the whole thing will get eaten today.  

More importantly, however, where did you buy this lamb shoulder, and did you have to sell any of your children to pay for it? 

I didn't sell any children but if I could I could get more lamb!!

2 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

I do tangine with leftover lamb all the time. Just start it with all the spices and lemon and tomatoes and mabye some chick peas, and add the already-cooked lamb and some red pepper chunks 30 minutes before serving, when you start the rice or couscous or whatever.

How on EARTH did you end up with TWO POUNDS of leftover lamb? What does a fullgrown lamb even weigh?

I have so much because I run a kosher lamb bulk buy every Rosh HaShana and Passover in Boston's Orthodox Jewish community.  I got these lamb shoulder roasts for $12.99/lb.  For you non-kosher keepers you are probably dying but that is extremely cheap for kosher lamb.  I sent my daughter to the store because I didn't want to cook such a big roast (it was about 4.5lbs) for the few (three) meat eaters I had that night (one of my bonus kids asked for lamb for his birthday).  She sent me pictures of these shoulder chops for $27/lb or loin chops for $39/lb.  So I decided to defost and cook the roast.  So that's why I have such a large amount of leftovers.

I need to freeze it or come up with a lot of lamb loving guests for Shabbos. But I want something nice to do with it when I do have that number of guests....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

I need to freeze it or come up with a lot of lamb loving guests for Shabbos. But I want something nice to do with it when I do have that number of guests....

I am happy to come solve this problem for you!  I can eat enough lamb that you will not need any other guests.  If you have another roast, I could bring Dyson and Hoover and they can solve that problem too.

I would consider it a community service.

If I had this problem, I would make soup.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3