Menu

Settling in

heartlikealion

1 hour ago, maize said:

I hate it when job decisions take months...how many applicants have time to wait around for that?!

Exactly.

Dh played interviewed with a company multiple times over more than a year for two different positions. Huge gaps between interviews. It took forever. Although he made it to the final round, he did not get either position. He doesn't want to deal with that company ever again because they were not only slow, but prided themselves on being slow. They seemed to think it was a more rigorous process. We were not impressed. 

Many years ago I was on a search committee to hire a youth pastor for our church. It was absolutely maddening. We were dealing with people who were low income (as are all who are employed by small churches) and who really needed to know about a job. Not to mention our kids and teens were without a leader and limping along on the band aid solutions parents implemented piecemeal. The committee would submit a recommendation to our elder board (for example--we would submit 3 candidates we wanted to escalate to the next round), who would say something like, "Alrighty, the elders will take a look at these candidates in a month when we meet..." Argh! 

• Sad 2

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the kids Mother’s Day weekend. Friday after picking them up we attended a family fun night at my friend/coworker’s church. Even though the kids had just eaten with their dad, they had appetites. There was plenty of food. Ds and I played a game but lost and the pastor said the players cheat lol he was funny. 

Saturday I took them to a tiny lighthouse museum. The nearby places had long waits to eat (and not cheap) and dd is quick to complain about walking (finding parking and walking in the city is a pain) so we ended up eating at a mall food court. I dragged the kids to Joann fabric but dd protested heavily at the notion of stopping at a book store. I knew we’d pass a bakery where I got our king cake so I offered to stop for donuts. Ds won’t forget the Apple fritter. It was so huge he had to bring home leftovers even after his sister and I ate some. A guy friend of mine invited us out to Dave & Buster’s Sat night. We played a few games together (4 of us on Mario Kart, Halo, etc) and other games the kids played. He got tickets from the claw machine and the kids each left with prizes. 

Today we slept in, ds helped me with dishes and we met my dad and aunt at a diner for a meal. My landlord replaced a toilet part (gave him permission to go in while I was gone). My dad drove the kids the rest of the way to their dad and I went straight to the laundromat. 

Hoping the toilet fix helps the water bill. 

Ds still won’t hug me. I hope over time that changes. If I hug him he just stands there. 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Had the kids Mother’s Day weekend. Friday after picking them up we attended a family fun night at my friend/coworker’s church. Even though the kids had just eaten with their dad, they had appetites. There was plenty of food. Ds and I played a game but lost and the pastor said the players cheat lol he was funny. 

Saturday I took them to a tiny lighthouse museum. The nearby places had long waits to eat (and not cheap) and dd is quick to complain about walking (finding parking and walking in the city is a pain) so we ended up eating at a mall food court. I dragged the kids to Joann fabric but dd protested heavily at the notion of stopping at a book store. I knew we’d pass a bakery where I got our king cake so I offered to stop for donuts. Ds won’t forget the Apple fritter. It was so huge he had to bring home leftovers even after his sister and I ate some. A guy friend of mine invited us out to Dave & Buster’s Sat night. We played a few games together (4 of us on Mario Kart, Halo, etc) and other games the kids played. He got tickets from the claw machine and the kids each left with prizes. 

Today we slept in, ds helped me with dishes and we met my dad and aunt at a diner for a meal. My landlord replaced a toilet part (gave him permission to go in while I was gone). My dad drove the kids the rest of the way to their dad and I went straight to the laundromat. 

Hoping the toilet fix helps the water bill. 

Ds still won’t hug me. I hope over time that changes. If I hug him he just stands there. 

Sounds like a good day!

on the not hugging…I was like that as a teen. Just didn’t like to be touched. So I preferred quick side hugs or things like shoulder pats and fist bumps. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

Sounds like a good day!

on the not hugging…I was like that as a teen. Just didn’t like to be touched. So I preferred quick side hugs or things like shoulder pats and fist bumps. 

Great point.  I am like that.  I am just not someone that likes getting touched.  I can't remember what I was like as a teen, but after staying home with a bunch of kids I am just touched out.  I also think that some teen boys just might feel a bit awkward hugging their moms due hormones and growing up if you know what I mean.  

• Like 2

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Great point.  I am like that.  I am just not someone that likes getting touched.  I can't remember what I was like as a teen, but after staying home with a bunch of kids I am just touched out.  I also think that some teen boys just might feel a bit awkward hugging their moms due hormones and growing up if you know what I mean.  

I have always taken it as a me thing because I think he’s ok hugging his sister & dad but I’m not even sure anymore. There’s still a lot of healing to happen between us. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I have two teenage sons and neither of them do hugs. They don't hug me and if I hug them they are clearly unhappy about it!

My teenage daughter fortunately is all about hugs. 

• Like 1

I got my rec center card yesterday. I signed the kids and I up to access all the parks & rec facilities. 

I might have missed my chance to sign dd up for youth summer camp but not sure I could get her to/from anyway. The hours aren’t listed and they were out of brochures with the info. I’ll try to get more info (the camp hours are not on their website either!). The man that helped me implied that the split summer with their dad shouldn’t affect her ability to get in. I’m not sure if proof of income would include her dad’s household… 🫤 All the appointment slots are filled and only on weekdays. But I’ll see what I can do. He said breakfast & lunch is included and they go on field trips. 

Ds turns 16 soon and the teen camp ends at age 15. They are training and hiring summer life guards but I doubt he could do it. Between push back from his dad and transportation it would be difficult. He’s not a very strong swimmer but they do offer training for beginners so that’s the only reason I’d even consider letting him try. He desperately wants a summer job and they pay $17/hr. But I know it’s likely not practical. 

The location near my house has an indoor basketball court, treadmills and a few other things. So I’ll use that sometime in the near future. Free gym!! 

• Like 3

The jr lifeguards train on Saturdays leading up to the job. I don’t know how many Saturdays they’ve been doing it. It’s a shot in the dark to get ds involved. 

I probably missed out on the camp. I went on my lunch hour today to see about that and they said appointments started in April to get into camp. Ummmm flashback to when parents were piling in the library for photocopies of documents such as birth certificates… that’s probably the same camp. But the guy at the counter gave me a contact person to call Monday. 

I asked what they offered at this location and he mentioned guitar lessons. I got the instructor's info (for myself). You do not need to own a guitar. Maybe one day I’ll try again… I never got far with guitar.  

• Like 1

The landlord changed a gasket and thinks that fixed the toilet. I’m not sure. 

Saw ds for his birthday and we did all the things I planned. He said he enjoyed talking with me and laser tag was his favorite activity we did. 

His dad requested documents from the school to get the permit. I don’t know when ds will have the permit in hand. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

The landlord changed a gasket and thinks that fixed the toilet. I’m not sure. 

Saw ds for his birthday and we did all the things I planned. He said he enjoyed talking with me and laser tag was his favorite activity we did. 

His dad requested documents from the school to get the permit. I don’t know when ds will have the permit in hand. 

If you get another big water bill because it isn't fixed properly, present that to your landlord and ask him when he is going to reimburse you. Maybe that will encourage him to hire and actual plumber.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

If you get another big water bill because it isn't fixed properly, present that to your landlord and ask him when he is going to reimburse you. Maybe that will encourage him to hire and actual plumber.

I hadn’t thought of the plumber thing. I’m not sure where my rights stop and start with the bill. 

Posted (edited)

Dd used a swim cap recently and had no issues with her ears so I am gonna take the kids to the pool sometime and just have her bring it. I got some more stuff from my dad’s home Thurs including the rest of my beach towels. They might need new swim wear. Dunno if what I own still fits them. Might just tell them to pack suits in case. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

I just heard the toilet run again 😒

I know he replaced the kit in the tank so I don’t think a faulty flapper would be the current cause. I think the kit includes the flapper piece. 

I get the kids Sun night. We are closed Monday. I don’t want to have men coming in the house while I’m at work and the kids are here or I’m trying to relax in my limited downtime. Ugh. 

The landlord put me in touch with a plumber. He’s gotta order a part. Supposedly my toilet brand is a pain (Kohler). I can’t send him the model number as it’s not visible in the video I took and I’m not home. I’ll have to send to him later. 

Some Kohler toilets are set up differently (no flapper). Not that you necessarily want to do it yourself, but maybe watch this video and see if your landlord was trying to fix the wrong thing. 

33 minutes ago, katilac said:

Some Kohler toilets are set up differently (no flapper). Not that you necessarily want to do it yourself, but maybe watch this video and see if your landlord was trying to fix the wrong thing. 

Well he already replaced the entire tank kit. They think it’s a whole different problem that requires taking the toilet apart. Something called a canister. 

6 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Well he already replaced the entire tank kit. They think it’s a whole different problem that requires taking the toilet apart. Something called a canister. 

I would think it would be less expensive to replace the entire toilet at this point. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I would think it would be less expensive to replace the entire toilet at this point. 

I wish lol… I could never get this one clean. When I moved in it had all this hardened junk. I’ve removed some with the pumice stone. 

Oh my gosh dd is suspected to have strep AGAIN. I was supposed to pick up both kids tonight. I said no rush to get her here since she needs to go to her dr and I’ll be at work Tuesday not home to administer medicine etc. The plan is to get just ds tonight and she’ll stay with dad indefinitely. I’m not even sure they can secure a dr appt on Monday. 

Her surgery (tonsils/adenoids) is going to be sometime in the near future. The dr will schedule it soon. I hope that helps 🤞

I’m gonna see if ds and I can go out tonight or tomorrow and do mini golf or something (he showed interest the other day but dd never did). There’s a mini golf place open late. 

The landlord had the toilet model number saved so I was able to pass it on right away yesterday to the plumber but they didn’t tell me if it was ordered yet… maybe can’t even place order til Tuesday, who knows. At least we got the ball rolling! Speaking of balls, I want to use the indoor basketball court at the rec center and my dad gave me a ball pump. I realized the ball I had said youth so I went to the store and bought a woman’s basketball for myself. The center may already have basketballs but a lot of places don’t seem to stock women’s sizes. I’m focusing on exercise again. Got the rest of my dumbbells from my dad’s house and I’ve been biking (stationary) more. 

I took on a bigish project at work by proposing a potential recurring program. The first one is this coming week, wish me luck lol 

I invited a bunch of coworkers out in late June to bowl… some won’t bowl but will come hang out. I coordinated our schedules so several confirmed. I also invited a cute guy from another branch (ran into him last weekend) that I met during the tv commercial filming. And invited a girl that switched branches. I saw her last Sun because a few of us went to a coworker’s church to watch her get licensed as a minister. I’m not accepting anymore church invites anyone soon. I was trapped there 2 hours 😅

• Like 7

4 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Oh my gosh dd is suspected to have strep AGAIN. I was supposed to pick up both kids tonight. I said no rush to get her here since she needs to go to her dr and I’ll be at work Tuesday not home to administer medicine etc. The plan is to get just ds tonight and she’ll stay with dad indefinitely. I’m not even sure they can secure a dr appt on Monday. 

Her surgery (tonsils/adenoids) is going to be sometime in the near future. The dr will schedule it soon. I hope that helps 🤞

I’m gonna see if ds and I can go out tonight or tomorrow and do mini golf or something (he showed interest the other day but dd never did). There’s a mini golf place open late. 

The landlord had the toilet model number saved so I was able to pass it on right away yesterday to the plumber but they didn’t tell me if it was ordered yet… maybe can’t even place order til Tuesday, who knows. At least we got the ball rolling! Speaking of balls, I want to use the indoor basketball court at the rec center and my dad gave me a ball pump. I realized the ball I had said youth so I went to the store and bought a woman’s basketball for myself. The center may already have basketballs but a lot of places don’t seem to stock women’s sizes. I’m focusing on exercise again. Got the rest of my dumbbells from my dad’s house and I’ve been biking (stationary) more. 

I took on a bigish project at work by proposing a potential recurring program. The first one is this coming week, wish me luck lol 

I invited a bunch of coworkers out in late June to bowl… some won’t bowl but will come hang out. I coordinated our schedules so several confirmed. I also invited a cute guy from another branch (ran into him last weekend) that I met during the tv commercial filming. And invited a girl that switched branches. I saw her last Sun because a few of us went to a coworker’s church to watch her get licensed as a minister. I’m not accepting anymore church invites anyone soon. I was trapped there 2 hours 😅

This sounds great except poor DD. I really hope the surgery is successful for her. My nephew had his out when he was 8 after years of constant tonsilitis, strep, and ear infections. It was like he had a whole new body! He remembers that year as his miracle year of no longer being sick all the time. It was good for his gut too because the constant antibiotics was very problematic.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

What is the doctor appointment for? I thought she had strep?  So I am confused if she hasn’t’ seen the doctor why not?

Xh is assuming it’s strep but she has not been seen. With the weekend/holiday it was really hard to get ahold of a dr. She has an appt scheduled today now. They will likely confirm strep and prescribe antibiotics. Then he’ll drive her to me. It was Sun morning she woke up complaining about her throat. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Xh is assuming it’s strep but she has not been seen. With the weekend/holiday it was really hard to get ahold of a dr. She has an appt scheduled today now. They will likely confirm strep and prescribe antibiotics. Then he’ll drive her to me. It was Sun morning she woke up complaining about her throat. 

Ok well I would think he would have taken her to urgent care. If it is strep the sooner she gets antibiotics the better. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Ok well I would think he would have taken her to urgent care. If it is strep the sooner she gets antibiotics the better. 

Yeah, he’ll owe money out of pocket either way (seldom meet deductible) but maybe the urgent care fee is higher. Not sure. 

Xh just texted. He said strep test was negative but they are putting her on all these other things (Allegra, Z-pak, mucinex, vitamin D). They suspect allergies and will make her fast and get blood drawn tomorrow. Poor baby. This dr agreed with the upcoming surgery. 

3 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Yeah, he’ll owe money out of pocket either way (seldom meet deductible) but maybe the urgent care fee is higher. Not sure. 

Xh just texted. He said strep test was negative but they are putting her on all these other things (Allegra, Z-pak, mucinex, vitamin D). They suspect allergies and will make her fast and get blood drawn tomorrow. Poor baby. This dr agreed with the upcoming surgery. 

The Zpak should work pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

Dd finally got a dr appt for the blood work today. Apparently the office closed at noon the other day and they weren’t able to be seen sooner. Xh is driving her to me now. I plan to only keep her here til lunch then drop her off at the house with ds unless the weather is too bad. It’s beginning to storm. I work til 6 tonight. I am allowed to have her here but I worry she’ll get bored hungry, etc. At least I have spare food here if she’s hungry when she arrives. 

I had another library program this week. It went well. I’m trying to turn it into a recurring program in the fall. 

Some of my vacation time is now accessible so I’ll take off a few days this summer when I have the kids. 

Ds reeeeeeally wants a job so I reminded him he needs to speak to the manager at a nearby place and see if they’d work with his schedule. He is convinced they won’t hire him and I said you don’t know til you try. I am taking him tomorrow. Hopefully we can catch a manager. I’d rather not call because I don’t want to explain it all over the phone. 

I missed the camp deadline for dd but they took down my name if a slot becomes available. Other camps I’ve looked at won’t work with my budget & location etc. 

• Like 1

When I opted out of paper bills with the water dept I never get emails. I have to manually log in to see bills (I’ll ask if that’s normal). Looks like the big bill I paid was a late bill (because I didn’t get a reminder) where they combined 2 months. But the bills have gotten higher overall so I hope fixing the toilet gets it back on track. Plumber is fully booked right now so not sure when he’ll get here. 

Xh offered to let me keep the kids til Tuesday (because dd arrived so late) and start doing swaps on Tuesday but I’m going to decline. That does not work for my schedule at all. I have this Friday & Sunday off so I’ll just make the most of the remaining week with them. We normally do swaps on Sunday evening and I think we should stick to that. 

Allegra hasn’t helped dd at all. We’re trying to get to the bottom of what’s going on with her. I’m guessing the z-pak helped though. She seemed in good spirits and sounds like she had a really skilled nurse because she said the blood draw didn’t hurt at all (I was so relieved). 

I remembered my headache with filing taxes in another state and hope if ds gets a job here it’s not a total nightmare come tax time. 

My ex best friend reached out to “call a truce” but is incapable of just offering an apology and I have nothing much to gain from the friendship dynamic we shared anymore. It’s kinda sad but I’m at peace with not having her in my life. She still doesn’t get it… and I’m too tired to spell it out again that her “tough love” speeches when I was trying to get a job were more hurtful than helpful regardless of her intent. She should collect referral bonuses from Dave Ramsey because she’s always pushing his advice. Sorry not sorry but his advice doesn’t always help. When you’re barely making ends meet or in debt you don’t want to hear about his baby steps for the umpteenth time. 

• Like 6

The toilet has been repaired and the plumber said yeah after all they did it would have been better to just get a new one (labor/time). 

There were a few different issues. It was leaking under but I didn’t know. I didn’t see a wet floor but the ring under it was damaged and since the tile isn’t all flush he tried to make it more level before he put the sealant around it. It will take 4 hours to cure. 

I would leave the house now with the kids, but it just started storming so I’ll try to stall. I cannot go 4 hours without a toilet and I already went down the street to use the restroom once. Glad it’s fixed.  And they were the most respectful maintenance guys I’ve dealt with. They apologized for accidentally getting one of my towels wet. Meanwhile, my landlord helped himself to one of my hand towels when he worked on it. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Starr said:

Thankfully that is taken care of! 

Yes! And they tried to loosen the knob by the baseboard so if I need to turn it off I won’t struggle so much! It had been painted over which was probably part of the reason it was so tough to turn. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

That's why dd never told her father she had a bank account and share portfolio. She also left her actual cash behind at my place when she moved in with him.

It’s not so much that I think xh would keep the money as i don’t know if/when he’d actually set up the PayPal. Ds said dad said he needs to earn a certain figure before dad would set up the PayPal. 

I personally cringe a little when ds receives checks and cash from my family. He doesn’t want me to put it in the bank account I made him and I tell him put it in your bank account. I don’t want it going in dad’s.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I’m worried I’m gonna get the runaround. Google says you need the job offer first. The manager told me we need the permit first. 😵‍💫

The permit comes from the school usually. I wonder how that will work since he goes to school in another state. I’m sure there’s a way. You probably just go to the school you are in district for the way a homeschooled or private school kid would. It looks like ds gives the form to the manager to be filled in and then you take it to the school. That’s the way it works in my new state, too. It’s the counselor office that usually handles it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, freesia said:

I got the form from the employer partially filled out and she told me to finish it and take it to Job1… but I’m not sure that’s the right place. I guess I’ll just call them to confirm. 

And if this requires a school step it’s extra messy!! He wouldn’t be able to because the office workers might not be there… although they might if there’s summer school?

He’s taking 1-2 short summer courses online. By choice. I guess to earn credits faster?  

On 4/11/2024 at 7:56 PM, katilac said:

They both involve cameras looking inside your private parts, so you weren't too far off! 

Had the colposcopy + biopsy today. 0/5 stars 😂😂 

The staff is great and I’ll get results in about a week. Hopefully nothing serious. 

I worked through lunch and ate on my breaks so I actually didn’t use any sick leave. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I got the form from the employer partially filled out and she told me to finish it and take it to Job1… but I’m not sure that’s the right place. I guess I’ll just call them to confirm. 

And if this requires a school step it’s extra messy!! He wouldn’t be able to because the office workers might not be there… although they might if there’s summer school?

He’s taking 1-2 short summer courses online. By choice. I guess to earn credits faster?  

They must have some system in place. I know our neighbor who works as a middle school secretary works all summer and so did the office staff at the school I worked in. If it’s not school based it will be somewhere bc lots of kids need papers in the summer and in states where you need the job first, you can’t guarantee they’ll know where they are working before summer. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Our work permit system was completely online.  Maybe your son's school has something similar?

• Like 1

How convenient, the JOB1 people were at the library so I asked them questions. He will need a photo ID and either ss card or birth certificate. Luckily I got my own set of all those items and he can bring his student ID next visit. They gave me the location and hours of where to bring it. He’s happy I’m helping him with this. I told him to get slip resistant shoes (greasy kitchen) even if not required. 

• Like 11

Apparently ds had a job interview by his dad’s house and they said he needs to attend orientation. I refused to mess up the summer visitation so he could attend said orientation. I said just follow through with the job here and get the work permit. 

They know he can only work every other week but the orientation lands next week. 

I might say we can work something out but I really can’t even afford to drive twice in one week to pick up the kids separately. 

Ugh now I’m the bad guy… how did this happen. I might try to work something out so he can attend that orientation. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Apparently ds had a job interview by his dad’s house and they said he needs to attend orientation. I refused to mess up the summer visitation so he could attend said orientation. I said just follow through with the job here and get the work permit. 

They know he can only work every other week but the orientation lands next week. 

I might say we can work something out but I really can’t even afford to drive twice in one week to pick up the kids separately. 

Ugh now I’m the bad guy… how did this happen. I might try to work something out so he can attend that orientation. 

I asked what day orientation is and he said he doesn’t know and it doesn’t matter because they already declined him. 

Hugs- it's hard when kids get older and have their own agenda.  Getting a job can be a great way for him to gain maturity and independence- get that bank account, save for a car.  Speaking as someone with kids both younger and older than your two kids, it's not going to get better.  Once they are 16 something changes, and your roll changes.  They crave more independence and I feel that should be encouraged.  This is the beginning on the new chapter- 16-18!  Then there is the Beyond High School phase.  Hugs- this phase can be hard.  

• Like 6