Menu

Iceland: earthquakes

prairiewindmomma

Blerg. We have been watching this.

DH is getting on a flight to that area shortly, and I am stunned, baffled, astounded that there’s a national emergency declared but the international airport ten miles from the projected, most likely eruption site is still open. And with ongoing earthquakes.

If anyone wants to send some good vibes: we are hoping his plane gets rerouted. 

I am not a happy camper right now.

There may be some stress eating taking place here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 21

59 minutes ago, Spryte said:

DH is getting on a flight to that area shortly, and I am stunned, baffled, astounded that there’s a national emergency declared but the international airport ten miles from the projected, most likely eruption site is still open. And with ongoing earthquakes.

I am so sorry! That has to be nerve wrecking. Good thoughts for you and your dh.

Mark and I too our middle boy to Iceland in 2014. We love the country. It is really hard to see this happening. Icelanders are like Minnesotans, famous for friendliness. It is scary to see this happening to anyone, but extra twinges from us for it being Iceland. 😢

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It hasn’t really hit US news yet but for anyone else with pending travel to Iceland….there is increased seismic activity right now, near the Blue Lagoon, 20km southeast of the Keflavik airport. Blue Lagoon is now closed.

last I heard, largest quake was a 5.2.  Air routes between North American and Europe go past that so an eruption that puts ash into the air could cause re-direct, or flight cancellations.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

I sure hope travels go well for him! And indulge in that stress eating whatever it takes 

• Thanks 1

I can’t recall details, but vaguely recall that the last eruption(s) a few years ago caused a lot of flight disruptions and travelers were stranded. Anyone else remember? (I could look it up, but am trying not to ruminate on this too much, as it’s all in the hands of IcelandAir air traffic and any other Icelandic powers that be, at this point. My preference would sure be for a rerouted flight there and again later in the week when he’s scheduled to head home from Keflavik.

Pretty sure I’ll be up all night. Coffee, anyone?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

I can’t recall details, but vaguely recall that the last eruption(s) a few years ago caused a lot of flight disruptions and travelers were stranded. Anyone else remember? (I could look it up, but am trying not to ruminate on this too much, as it’s all in the hands of IcelandAir air traffic and any other Icelandic powers that be, at this point. My preference would sure be for a rerouted flight there and again later in the week when he’s scheduled to head home from Keflavik.

Several years ago it did happen. Icelanders took strangers into their homes so they wouldn't be stranded at the airport or because they couldn't afford ten days in hotels. Travelers reported immense kindness from the Icelanders. My guess is that since then, Iceland may have created an official way to handle the housing/food issue. 

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Several years ago it did happen. Icelanders took strangers I to their homes so they wouldn't be stranded at the airport or because they couldn't afford ten days in hotels. Travelers reported immense kindness from the Icelanders. My guess is that since then, Iceland may have created an official way to handle the housing/food issue. 

This reminds me of the Gander, Newfoundlanders after 9/11. ❤️ 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

Last time there was an eruption in Iceland many years ago (I just looked it up - apparently 2010), it caused major major travel disruptions not just in Iceland, but in Europe. I know colleagues who got stuck for extended periods in the UK, unable to return. There is no way I'd want to travel via Iceland right now (or worse, have my kids go)...and it's odd that they are keeping the airport open (probably $$?).

Iceland is such an amazing country, and this is hard to see. I am glad the inhabitants are receiving advance notice. Hoping for the best.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

Last time there was an eruption in Iceland many years ago (I just looked it up - apparently 2010), it caused major major travel disruptions not just in Iceland, but in Europe. I know colleagues who got stuck for extended periods in the UK, unable to return. There is no way I'd want to travel via Iceland right now (or worse, have my kids go)...and it's odd that they are keeping the airport open (probably $$?).

Iceland is such an amazing country, and this is hard to see. I am glad the inhabitants are receiving advance notice. Hoping for the best.

Ugh, that’s what I remembered — just terrible delays and people being stuck. I sure wish DH didn’t have to go, but alas — it was not a negotiable trip this time. 

I think the choice to keep the airport open is most likely about money, too.

4 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

This reminds me of the Gander, Newfoundlanders after 9/11. ❤️ 

just an aside - Gander wasn't the only community in that area that took in planes and passengers, just the biggest.   
 There was a long history that led them to be prepared for such a happening, even if they didn't know the particulars.
N.L. famously embraced the world on 9/11. There's an untold story about what happened before | CBC News

Hopefully, the previous eruptions that spewed so much ash into the atmosphere gave air traffic controllers/etc an opportunity to plan for such contingencies.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Hopefully, the previous eruptions that spewed so much ash into the atmosphere gave air traffic controllers/etc an opportunity to plan for such contingencies.

Apparently it did! The wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_travel_disruption_after_the_2010_Eyjafjallajökull_eruption talks about all of it (I had forgotten much of it).

• Like 2

I just saw the news of this. The article said there was plenty of time for residents to gather belongings. I'm sure it's very scary for them though. 

I think it is super interesting because I was just reading yesterday of the worlds newest island forming off of the coast of Iwo Jima due to a vocanic eruption. The eruption happened a few weeks ago.

https://apnews.com/article/japan-iwo-jima-volcano-eruption-new-island-94916ed3b033b6626610da16f9942452

Also saw this about Mt St. Helens...https://apnews.com/article/how-many-earthquakes-mount-st-helens-621b5c405f4cf80c76ba68d10b2f5094

Edited by popmom