Menu

Selfish or not?

footballmom

I’m going to keep some details intentionally vague, but including the most pertinent info:

I have a pair of tickets to a type of event that occurs as a series over several weeks- think performing arts or sports type event.  I look forward to attending and build my calendar around this. Because it is important to me, I’ve invested in good seats. DH, SIL or a friend will go with me each time, rarely the same person during the series. SIL was invited to join me a few weeks ago - we went together another time and it was really fun. It didn’t work this last time for SIL, so she declined.

SIL and DN will be located near this thing in a few weeks, and they want to go. You can buy individual tickets to the event.  I told SIL I am going and if her and DN want to go too, an extra ticket can be purchased, though we wouldn’t all be able to sit together.  SIL told me DN is not comfortable sitting with friends they know and SIL is thinking she will buy an individual ticket and hope a seat by us is open. I know the seat monitors won’t allow that. I looked and there is not a seat for sale near us.

I was thinking the “right” thing to do is let SIL and DN have my tickets and I get an individual ticket. It doesn’t bother me to sit alone, but I will be giving up a much better seat and better experience. DH thinks that is silly because these events make me happy and no matter what, I should have my great seat ticket and SIL can figure it out with DN. 

I’ve tried putting myself in SIL’s shoes and to be honest, I would probably just decide to buy two individual tickets to be together with my kid, but SIL hasn’t gotten there yet.

What say the Hive?

Personally I’d either have DN sit with you and SIL can figure out her own seat, or invite someone else, and let SIL know that she is on her own to find tickets together with DN but that you will meet up afterwards.  Since you think that’s where she is going to land anyway, it would be a reasonable thing to do.

• Like 8

Just now, Carol in Cal. said:

Personally I’d either have DN sit with you and SIL can figure out her own seat, or invite someone else, and let SIL know that she is on her own to find tickets together with DN but that you will meet up afterwards.  Since you think that’s where she is going to land anyway, it would be a reasonable thing to do.

I like this.

6 minutes ago, footballmom said:

I’m going to keep some details intentionally vague, but including the most pertinent info:

I have a pair of tickets to a type of event that occurs as a series over several weeks- think performing arts or sports type event.  I look forward to attending and build my calendar around this. Because it is important to me, I’ve invested in good seats. DH, SIL or a friend will go with me each time, rarely the same person during the series. SIL was invited to join me a few weeks ago - we went together another time and it was really fun. It didn’t work this last time for SIL, so she declined.

SIL and DN will be located near this thing in a few weeks, and they want to go. You can buy individual tickets to the event.  I told SIL I am going and if her and DN want to go too, an extra ticket can be purchased, though we wouldn’t all be able to sit together.  SIL told me DN is not comfortable sitting with friends they know and SIL is thinking she will buy an individual ticket and hope a seat by us is open. I know the seat monitors won’t allow that. I looked and there is not a seat for sale near us.

I was thinking the “right” thing to do is let SIL and DN have my tickets and I get an individual ticket. It doesn’t bother me to sit alone, but I will be giving up a much better seat and better experience. DH thinks that is silly because these events make me happy and no matter what, I should have my great seat ticket and SIL can figure it out with DN. 

I’ve tried putting myself in SIL’s shoes and to be honest, I would probably just decide to buy two individual tickets to be together with my kid, but SIL hasn’t gotten there yet.

What say the Hive?

You’ll have a great seat for the whole series except 1 of the events?

If it was me, I’d give my family the 2 tix together and get another seat for myself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, footballmom said:

The ridiculously nice thing to do is to let SIL and DN have your tickets and you get one elsewhere - SIL and DN should be worshiping the floor that you walk on afterwards nice. The "right" thing to do is just to offer up one seat per event.

DH and I had desirable series event seating before, if DH or I wanted to be we would be there in our seats for every single one. If one of us didn't want to go then we would only offer up one seat to takers. If they wanted to bring a number two too bad. For our thing tickets are $$$ or unattainable, so we just said as much and if invitee couldn't handle going with number two someone else would take their place.  

You pre-planned, you purchased, you deserve to see all the events in your seat.

• Like 6

I'd see if I could find another good seat, and if not, I would probably keep my seat if it was that important to me.  It's up to your relatives if they want one of them to sit with you or not.  You could always invite someone else who is willing to come alone and sit with you.

There's no way it's selfish to invite someone to fill an empty seat next to you.  If it doesn't work for them, that isn't your fault.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Clarita said:

The ridiculously nice thing to do is to let SIL and DN have your tickets and you get one elsewhere - SIL and DN should be worshiping the floor that you walk on afterwards nice. The "right" thing to do is just to offer up one seat per event.

DH and I had desirable series event seating before, if DH or I wanted to be we would be there in our seats for every single one. If one of us didn't want to go then we would only offer up one seat to takers. If they wanted to bring a number two too bad. For our thing tickets are $$$ or unattainable, so we just said as much and if invitee couldn't handle going with number two someone else would take their place.  

You pre-planned, you purchased, you deserve to see all the events in your seat.

I would not give up my ticket in this situation.  It is not selfish at all.  

• Like 2

I think I'm missing something?

If DN is not comfortable sitting with other people, why can she not sit with you and SIL sit with the friends.

Somebody is overcomplicating things. SIL can buy one seat near the friends or alone and have DN sit with you. Problem  solved.

Either way, you keep your pre-planned, pre-paid good seat and enjoy and only one extra ticket needs to be purchased by SIL.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 4

Why can't DN sit with you and SiL sit in the extra seat not close to you? 

I bought the tickets, I'm using my tickets. I offered my extra ticket to someone who wanted to bring an extra person. I'm sorry, I only have one extra ticket. Period. She wants the extra person along, she can buy the extra ticket. 

I do not think you are being selfish to keep the ticket you bought for you. 

ETA: Is it possible that SiL can come one night and DN another? 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1