Menu

Wool socks that aren't tight around the ankle

Kanin

Have you tried the Costco ones? They fit a bit looser for me (I do air dry my wool socks so this wouldn’t take shrinkage into account). Tight ankles aren’t a problem for me, so they might not be loose enough.

You might try alpaca wool socks. Alpaca has more stretch than merino. It’s also warmer and more durable…but also more expensive.

• Like 1

We have a ton of wool socks her in the upper midwest.  You might have to try around a bit to see what fits your foot best.  But we've found the cheaper ones tend to be a bit more loosey goosey.  Like my daughter has some of these that fit her a bit looser ...

https://www.amazon.com/Loritta-Womens-Winter-Vintage-Casual/dp/B08B38MR2Y/ref=sr_1_14_sspa?crid=38HCUJA6VUIM2&keywords=wool%2Bsocks&qid=1696863475&sprefix=wool%2Bsocks%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-14-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1&psc=1

The Costco blended ones are warm, comfy, and aren't too tight.  They do seem to pill over time, but maybe that's an issue with wool socks in general?  I don't know.  Maybe it's because I dry them in the dryer.  Drying them doesn't seem to affect fit.  

Edited by klmama

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

The Costco ones got tight on me and I have really thin ankles. Maybe I should start air drying my wool socks???!

We just toss ours into a lingerie bag after wear, and then I have one of those octopus clip things from IKEA. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pressa-hanging-dryer-with-16-clothes-clips-turquoise-10421217/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&utm_content=free_google_shopping_clicks_Home_organisation&gclid=CjwKCAjwyY6pBhA9EiwAMzmfwUXUnNclz68gSmDJyBAR98n3eYMOD6jqSEMKYqWbBsVo9wNbwTSumBoChPQQAvD_BwE

I don't have issues with pilling or shrinkage this way.  They do wear out after 4-5 years of steady wear, though, unless you take up darning.  If you do take up darning them, the Laine St. Pierre darning wool seems to work the best. https://www.etsy.com/listing/998319829/black-darning-wool-embroidery-wool-floss?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_c-craft_supplies_and_tools-fabric_and_notions-notions-floss&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAjwyY6pBhA9EiwAMzmfwWzpkL_ymLEPELXpSh74rd616waO48b1kV8KE-GdFWWZ_dscso5i-xoCK9kQAvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_12560179604_125051939008_506949309280_pla-296647875094_c__998319829_132944993&utm_custom2=12560179604&gclid=CjwKCAjwyY6pBhA9EiwAMzmfwWzpkL_ymLEPELXpSh74rd616waO48b1kV8KE-GdFWWZ_dscso5i-xoCK9kQAvD_BwE  I usually use 2 strands out of the 4 in the yarn to match the gauge.  Although YouTube videos will tell you that Sashiko thread or embroidery thread will work, they freaking lie and it will feel like you are walking on rocks if you patch in the toe area with Sashiko or embroidery thread.

Edited by prairiewindmomma

22 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Are they squeezy in the middle of your foot? I hate that too. 

No! Not at all! They just fit nicely. Not loose and not tight. Just like a sock ought to fix. They’re thick, so you can’t wear them with dressy shoes (like flats or something), but they’re great with sneakers or boots or sturdier shoes. 

• Like 1