Menu

TeARoom questions

Granny_Weatherwax

Cysts there are VERY common from what I understand. I get cysts in that general area pretty frequently - friction can be part of the issue and since you were itchy, that might explain it. Other times there is no real rhyme/reason. But yeah, much more likely to be a cyst or blocked duct than anything else. I wouldn't worry about it being something awful. Just annoying. (fun story, no doctor even knows what mine are or what causes them, gyn was clueless and it was my derm that finally gave me some antibiotic gel for it, and said to avoid friction/pants with tight crotch/jeans. Sure enough, that actually did help a lot (the pants thing, not the gel...not convinced that did anything). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll just throw this out there, fwiw.

I had a lump in a similar place.  Turned out to be cervical cancer.  The gyn didn't want to guess, so he sent me to a gyn/onc and that's where it was definitively diagnosed with a quick biopsy. 

However, I had no other symptoms like you have, so definitely not saying that's what you have.  Just putting it out there ...

That's wonderful you have an appt so quickly.  🙂  

Edited by kathyl
  • Sad 4

I get cysts in that general area fairly often. They started well after menopause. They are very painful. It hurts to even wipe. When they first show up they are not even visible but slowly come to a head over a week or so. I never thought to do anything about them until I happened to get one while I was in the hospital. They gave me Bactracin ointment and that helps clear them up much more quickly. I have no idea what changed after menopause to cause these but I don't shave or wax so probably not an ingrown hair, I usually wear loose pjs or a robe with boxer style undies so probably not caused by friction. Nothing else has really changed so not sure why I get them now but I was basically told it was no big deal and that I didn't need to be overly concerned about it. 

• Thanks 1

Had one last year. Took some antibiotics for an unrelated UTI and it went away in a couple of days. PCP wasn't concerned, told me to use warm compresses. She wrote a referral to a GYN if it didn't clear before they could get me into check on it.  I insisted on STI testing (due to boyfriend of about 1 year) and it was all clear. I know some people use a drawing salve for Bartholin's cysts, but not sure if it helps or not. 

• Thanks 1

I had cyst down there once and my brain went down all the scary paths of all the things it could possibly be other than a cyst.  It burst on its own one day when I was applying a warm compress and it was such a blessed moment of relief.  Like, instantaneous. 

I hope they determine it's a cyst and lance it for you to take care of it right away. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve had multiple cysts, one drained. I thought I was getting one drained once (and so did the GYN), but it was bloody—we figured out later that one was likely a varicose vein instead (I have them elsewhere, and not long after, I had some in my upper thigh as well). I know someone else that had a varicose vein in that general area—hers was cauterized.

Both the cysts and the varicosities have stopped occurring all on their own though I have varicosities in my lower legs.

6 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I had cyst down there once and my brain went down all the scary paths of all the things it could possibly be other than a cyst.  It burst on its own one day when I was applying a warm compress and it was such a blessed moment of relief.  Like, instantaneous. 

Even with lancing, sometimes they refill again. Warm compresses really do help!

• Thanks 1