Menu

Delicious meal ideas please

bookbard

So last night it was chops and veg for everyone else, but I couldn't deal, so I made myself a quick and inauthentic Japanese okonomiyaki instead. Which was a basic flour egg water pancake with lots of cabbage and a few other veg, topped with Japanese mayo and bbq sauce (you're supposed to use okonomi sauce, bbq was fine). While I'm sure no one Japanese would recognise it, it was yum and a lot less heavy than chops and chips!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bookbard said:

So last night it was chops and veg for everyone else, but I couldn't deal, so I made myself a quick and inauthentic Japanese okonomiyaki instead. Which was a basic flour egg water pancake with lots of cabbage and a few other veg, topped with Japanese mayo and bbq sauce (you're supposed to use okonomi sauce, bbq was fine). While I'm sure no one Japanese would recognise it, it was yum and a lot less heavy than chops and chips!

Ooo, we make that too! And I've had the same thought that I would never dare introduce it to anyone actually from Japan. I am able to get Okonomi Sauce, but other than that....

Let me know if you have a cheater's version of Takoyaki!

33 minutes ago, Pippen said:

This Ozro, Feta and Tomato Salad with a fresh marjoram vinaigrette is nice, but it was a challenge to find fresh marjoram. We added other fresh veggies and chicken after the first day.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/orzo-feta-and-tomato-salad-with-marjoram-vinaigrette

Thank you. I have marjoram in my garden and never remember to do anything with it. I am now reminded!

On 9/26/2023 at 9:17 PM, Pippen said:

My family really likes these Buddha Bowls. I just use whatever meat I have leftover. Also I just use olive oil in the dressing and double the recipe. 

https://www.delish.com/cooking/menus/recipes/a50768/buddha-bowls-recipe/

This looks so good!! I wonder if I could use something sugar free in place of the honey (like add some stevia or swerve?). I am definitely making this. 

13 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

This looks so good!! I wonder if I could use something sugar free in place of the honey (like add some stevia or swerve?). I am definitely making this. 

I’ve been dressing all of my salads lately with a lemon juice and olive oil dressing. I season it with a Rosemary-sage salt and some pepper. It’s really good. 

I do love a peanut dressing like in the recipe, but if you’re removing the sugar you also have to use a sugar free peanut butter. I think it would be delicious with the no sugar peanut butter (or tahini) and just skipping the honey. The sweet potatoes would add plenty of sweet notes. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 10:39 PM, Clarita said:

I tried to make a one pan meal (with how much my family eats it was more than one pan). Sirloin steak with roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus and roasted tomatoes. The potatoes and asparagus were sides and the tomatoes I put on top of the Sirloin steak after I sliced it. This was the recipe that inspired the meal. I didn't totally follow the recipe because the one pan wasn't quite big enough for me to spread every thing out. So the steak actually cooked on top of the potatoes.

https://www.rachelcooks.com/steak-sheet-pan-dinner/

Interesting technique! Similar to the way I make soups and stews, just start the pot and prep/add ingredients in order of cooking time. 

I bet those potatoes were tasty!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Just Kate said:

I'm sure you could. It's a really flexible recipe and I adapt based on my needs and what's on hand. I do think it's easier to do at least some prep a day in advance--like use leftover meat and rice. 

• Like 1

Rice noodles - the kind you soak in hot water 

Saute onion, mushroom, celery, green beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, whatever veggies you want with a bunch of minced garlic and ginger. Add pressed & crumbled tofu or cubed chicken. 

Mix equal parts low sodium soy sauce or your favorite soy sauce alternative, peanut butter, like juice, add some pepper, chili powder or red pepper flakes. When chicken is cooked and veggies have caramelized a bit, add the sauce. Then add the noodles and mix. You might want to add a little more soy sauce or some broth if it's too dry. 

Top with sliced green onions, pineapple cubes, and chopped cilantro. 

52 minutes ago, Tree Frog said:

Can this be made ahead or in a crockpot? We have a potluck coming up at work and I'd love to make a vegetarian dish for our SLP.

I haven’t ever done it since this is one of my “oops I forgot to plan dinner” meals; however, I think if you start from dry beans (preferably soaked overnight) and add the Parmesan, parsley (or spinach if you forgot to get parsley or don’t like the flavor of parsley), and lemon just before serving, it would probably be just as tasty in a slow cooker. 

On 9/26/2023 at 5:46 PM, Miss Tick said:

Ooo, we make that too! And I've had the same thought that I would never dare introduce it to anyone actually from Japan. I am able to get Okonomi Sauce, but other than that....

Let me know if you have a cheater's version of Takoyaki!

A Japanese student made the pancakes for us years ago.  I loved them!  Will need to look for the mayo.  Think ours had some shrimp and cabbage and were topped with a couple strips of pork just before flipping.

Edited by Tina
  • Like 1

I made stuffed chicken breast for the first time and it was so easy and so good I wonder why I had never done this. It's like this one:

https://themodernproper.com/stuffed-chicken-breast-with-spinach-cheese-and-sun-dried-tomatoes

but the filling was sauted kale seasoned with garlic, mixed with a bit of cream cheese and some grated mozzarella. Make a pocket in the chicken, stuff that in, then sear the chicken in olive oil in an oven-safe pan, then finish in the oven. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2023 at 10:18 AM, KungFuPanda said:

I’ve been dressing all of my salads lately with a lemon juice and olive oil dressing. I season it with a Rosemary-sage salt and some pepper. It’s really good. 

Olive oil and lemon juice is my favorite salad "dressing" and it's so quick and easy. I usually just add kosher salt and freshly ground pepper but sometimes I'll add whatever herbs I have in the garden (currently just rosemary and basil).

We all love roasted sweet potato black bean bowls. This recipe is a starting off point. I don't bother to pickle the red onions but I do put them in water for a bit to take the sting out of them. I'm sure they'd taste good pickled. None of us like kale (we tried every which way to eat it) so I use baby spinach instead. Sometimes I make a cilantro lime crema and sometimes I use the Costco store bought kind if I'm feeling lazy. I've served it with brown rice, quinoa, and a brown rice quinoa combination. All are good.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/sweet-potato-black-bean-bowls/#recipe

ok, so I made something nice for dinner tonight. Sautéed onion, fennel and sweet potato (the only veg I had in the house). Put in a cup and a half of risoni and 2 and a half cups of chicken stock. Added leftover chopped up chicken from the shop (half a chicken I guess). I had some dukkah lying about so I added that. Cooked it till risoni was ready and then yum. My husband actually enjoyed a new food yay.

So in short, veg, chicken stock, chicken, risoni. And whatever herbs you like. Easy and not chops and chips!

• Like 2