Menu

PSA--refill human and canine prescriptions when you can

Acadie

We've had trouble refilling human (midodrine) and canine (tresaderm) this week, after many months of no problems with a variety of prescriptions. 

Not sure if these are supply chain problems or what, but just wanted to give the Hive a heads up that it may be worth getting refills early, if you're able, based on whatever prescription or insurance eligibility factors you may have.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

We might need to keep a running thread since this has been such an issue for months (longer?).  Sumatriptan injections have been back ordered for months.   If this is something you need they are available in vials instead of autoinjectors if you are willing to use needles instead of the autoinjector pens.

• Like 1

My daughter is a pharmacist - it's supply chain problems, but it has generally been very drug specific.
She's dealt with pharmacists in the last year who've refused to fill Rx, claiming it was "supply chain problems", but she had the connections to dig and it wasn't the problem.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Acadie said:

We've had trouble refilling human (midodrine) and canine (tresaderm) this week, after many months of no problems with a variety of prescriptions. 

Not sure if these are supply chain problems or what, but just wanted to give the Hive a heads up that it may be worth getting refills early, if you're able, based on whatever prescription or insurance eligibility factors you may have.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a loved one on midodrine and I can’t imagine how awful it would be to go without it for even a day. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, East Coast Sue said:

Thanks for the heads up. I have a loved one on midodrine and I can’t imagine how awful it would be to go without it for even a day. 

Certain doses of midodrine weren't available. The pharmacist suggested trying to get refills at least 10 days ahead, if possible, to allow time for them to try to track down the prescribed dose or if necessary to communicate with the doc about alternatives.  

I feel stupid. WHY is there a shortage?

”supply chain shortage”

Is extremely vague. Like are the materials used IN the medication scare for some reason? Is an equipment failure? Shopping failure? Employee shortage?

Exactly what is short in the supply chain and why?

47 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

”supply chain shortage”

Is extremely vague. Like are the materials used IN the medication scare for some reason? Is an equipment failure? Shopping failure? Employee shortage?

The base products for a lot of pharmaceuticals are made in China and India, countries that are still feeling effects of the pandemic.

Some meds, like semiglutide for diabetes, has been prescribed more widely for other uses (weight loss). And in the last three years, prescriptions for ADHD, anxiety and depression meds have increased. 

That’s how my pharmacist explained it - some is supply chain, some is increased demand outpacing supply. Personally I think there are profit motives involved somewhere along the line as well. 

We’ve had one med take a little longer to fill the last couple of months, but it’s still gettable. Some people we know haven’t been able to get their kids’ ADHD meds since January. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

”supply chain shortage”

There are usually multiple reasons for supply chain issues.

They are going to vary by both industry and company, but I think the new car shortage (that started in the pandemic and is still going on) makes for a good example, because it was/is severe but the main catalysts are somewhat limited in scope. 

A supply chain, at its simplest, is the series of steps required to result in a product or service. Any break or twist in the chain along the way can hamper creation of the good or service. 

Everyone agrees that the global chip shortage is a key factor in the new car shortage; if you look at the steps required to manufacture a car, having chips available is a critical step. Unlike a labor shortage, which slows down production, lacking chips can bring production to a halt: no chip, no car. 

Go backwards from cars requiring chips, and the question is: why is there a chip shortage? It started with the typical pandemic disruptions that affected nearly everyone; the restrictions resulted in both fewer chips being manufactured, and difficulty in transporting them. 

Sharply increased demand was pandemic-related in a different way; because people were staying home so much, there was a sudden and sharp increase in demand for chips as everyone bought new electronics to amuse themselves and/or work from home. 

Just-in-time inventory strategies made it worse, as the auto makers didn't have a good supply on hand. Add in the fact that chips have a long lead time to begin with, and you can see how it can take a really long time to play catch-up. 

This is simplified, but I think gives a good idea. New cars had a very clear break in the supply chain, and it's easy to see that the shortage goes back to the chip shortage and forward to the used car shortage. 

• Thanks 1

The chip thing I get. It’s been a known potential doomsday issue for year before the pandemic brought it to light.

Everyone thinks the problem is just need to make more. But it’s not as simple as people think.

I was curious to know what the domino tipping point was in the case of pharmaceuticals.  I know there’s always more than one issue, but often there is also one particular issue that cause the cascade of issues. 

5 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

The chip thing I get. It’s been a known potential doomsday issue for year before the pandemic brought it to light.

Everyone thinks the problem is just need to make more. But it’s not as simple as people think.

I was curious to know what the domino tipping point was in the case of pharmaceuticals.  I know there’s always more than one issue, but often there is also one particular issue that cause the cascade of issues. 

Seems like a both:and sort of thing happening in pharmaceutical world. 

On 9/6/2023 at 3:02 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

You can always look at the ASHP shortage list for specific information on “your” med: https://www.ashp.org/drug-shortages/current-shortages/drug-shortages-list?page=CurrentShortages&loginreturnUrl=SSOCheckOnly

Evidently, this is for only the top 500 medications?   I have been unable to obtain the migraine medication I mentioned above, Sumatriptan (generic Imitrex) in autoinjector form.  I have asked/called numerous pharmacies.  One pharmacist finally told me this list is only for the top 500 meds which at least explains why it isn't showing up.      This was a Costco pharmacist and he stated he only had one other patient utilizing this med which I was surprised,  but I guess explains why it isn't a widely used medication.  

Tablets are showing availability locally. If you are using a mail order pharmacy and they are out, you may look at the cash option and call around a lot.

I have been having weird glitches with my very popular, very National mail order pharmacy this summer and have been paying cash for things under $50 just to get a supply. I have all kinds of bad words about why I think my mail order pharmacy is acting that way, but I wanted to give you that work around idea if that is your particular problem.

We have also noticed a shortage of Pharmacists. Sometimes the head pharmacist is the only person working in our pharmacy at any given time and it is a pretty busy pharmacy. We have noticed the same thing in other pharmacies. I had a week delay on getting my meds this past week on a med that has never been a problem.