Menu

Fashion Fun - Adjusting color with age

TechWife

Let’s have some fun. For several years now (5,6,7?) I’ve limited my Clothing to 3-4 colors, depending on what you consider a color to be. Now that most of my hair is grey & on it’s way to silver, I think a couple of them don’t look so great on me anymore. I’m open to suggestions for wisening my color palate, probably just one color.

My current colors are cornflower blue, black, tan, ivory/cream and white. I wear solids & patterns with these colors.  I think the browns against my grey hair make me look tired.  The white does to a certain extent, but I don’t wear it much, just a turtleneck or long sleeve t with a sweatshirt or cardigan in winter.  If I offset it with the blue it does brighten me up a bit. The cream/ivory I wear a lot as a layer under sweatshirts & sweaters, and it’s also the color I wear most often with my suit and dress slacks. I’m not sure what to do about that.

I love that the black goes with everything and want to keep that in the mix. When I was younger my hair was a medium/dark brown (I have brown eyes) and I wore a lot of burgundy, dark brown, green and some golds - colors that come out in the fall a lot. They pulled out the goldish flecks in my eyes. With the sweaters & such showing up in the stores I find I’m looking longingly at those colors again. But, I don’t think the golds, browns & greens would look good on me any longer.

I don’t  want to buy a lot & I don’t  want fast fashion, I want quality. I keep my clothing collection at a minimum, really, so the more mix & match, the better. The pieces I’d get the most use out of would be a sweater, a sweatshirt & long sleeve t shirts. I’m open to small prints as long as they have one of my colors in the pattern so I have other pieces I can wear the print with. So, does anyone have any color ideas that would be versatile enough to replace that neutral in my palate? 

That's a fascinating approach to colour and wardrobe! For me, I would find it a bit, maybe, rigid? I think, instead of replacing a neutral, you might like to think about adding one or more new colour categories. The thing about white hair is that it goes with everything! I get not liking brown, but if you are drawn to green, gold, and burgundy -- why not go for one (or more) of those. You can use it to pop otherwise-neutral ensembles.

• Like 2

I stick to what feels like neutrals to me and that is basically black, navy, grey, and tan and I wear jeans a lot. I do also wear burgundy. I mention it just because it feels like the only actual color I wear yet I still feel like it mixes and matches with everything else and I think it would work with all your other colors. I’ve always been drawn to it and I think it looks good with grey/silver hair too! 

• Like 1

Taupe is a shade of brown that goes well with cool colors.

Most jewel tones are universally flattering.

I think ivory is more flattering on almost everyone than stark white, and I'm a bright winter (between winter and spring, need bright colors to look normal).

Maybe also consider trendy colors like hot pink and bright orange.

• Like 2

I also capsule wardrobe and have a limited palette that I work from.  It sounds like with your transition to grey hair that you are "reading" cooler.  Are you warm toned or cool toned in your skin color?

The base of my wardrobe is black, but I am cool toned in both skin and eye color, so as I have gone silver it hasn't big a big transition. My other two tones are a blue undertone berry color and blue undertoned pine green.  I look terrible in browns (other than cocoa brown), oranges, reds, and other warmer colors.

I would try just moving from warm toned to cool toned, and see how that goes. 

ETA: link on grey hair and color seasons: https://www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/blog/jo/lets-talk-about-grey-hair

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

I agree that brown looks tired later on—not just due to the hair, but also usually a little less color in one’s face.

I’ve found that hot pink, which I avoided strenuously when I was younger, looks great now; and my old favorite, shell pink, washes me out horribly.  I’m wearing a lot more red as well, avoiding the orangey reds and browned reds carefully in favor of the reds that are deep and if anything tilt in the blue direction.  Similarly, amethyst purple looks great and lilac looks awful now.  I also avoid the deep blackish purples completely as they are now too severe for me.  I also find that a true gold is very nice, while pale yellow is awful now.  If I could find hot yellow it would probably work but it is not in style right now.  Gold has become my substitute for where I used to wear brown.  Also, black with gold colored accents reads as brownish without the tired look of actual brown.  

Blue and green together were a thing about 10 years ago but IMO look dated now.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I think the browns against my grey hair make me look tired.  The white does to a certain extent, but I don’t wear it much, just a turtleneck or long sleeve t with a sweatshirt or cardigan in winter.  If I offset it with the blue it does brighten me up a bit. The cream/ivory I wear a lot as a layer under sweatshirts & sweaters, and it’s also the color I wear most often with my suit and dress slacks. I’m not sure what to do about that.

I love that the black goes with everything and want to keep that in the mix. When I was younger my hair was a medium/dark brown (I have brown eyes) and I wore a lot of burgundy, dark brown, green and some golds - colors that come out in the fall a lot.

I am guessing you are warm tone like me  because tan and white drains my face color while ivory/cream, burgundy, olive and espresso/mocha/chocolate brown makes me look healthier 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bolt. said:

That's a fascinating approach to colour and wardrobe! For me, I would find it a bit, maybe, rigid? I think, instead of replacing a neutral, you might like to think about adding one or more new colour categories. The thing about white hair is that it goes with everything! I get not liking brown, but if you are drawn to green, gold, and burgundy -- why not go for one (or more) of those. You can use it to pop otherwise-neutral ensembles.

It’s sort of a capsule wardrobe. I find it relaxing for the most part because I know I can always make a presentable outfit for any occasion, short of needing a gown, which I also have in the back of the closet. 

I think green & gold make my skin look yellow. An emerald green might look good, but it does seem unusual to me. I am thinking favorably of burgundy. 

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

I stick to what feels like neutrals to me and that is basically black, navy, grey, and tan and I wear jeans a lot. I do also wear burgundy. I mention it just because it feels like the only actual color I wear yet I still feel like it mixes and matches with everything else and I think it would work with all your other colors. I’ve always been drawn to it and I think it looks good with grey/silver hair too! 

I wear jeans most of the time, too. I should have mentioned that. I hadn’t thought of burgundy going with the cornflower blue. I’d have to see them elect to each other, but it does sound right. It would go with the tan & black sweaters I have, too. A long sleeve burgundy  t shirt might be a good first move.

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I agree that brown looks tired later on—not just due to the hair, but also usually a little less color in one’s face.

I’ve found that hot pink, which I avoided strenuously when I was younger, looks great now; and my old favorite, shell pink, washes me out horribly.  I’m wearing a lot more red as well, avoiding the orangey reds and browned reds carefully in favor of the reds that are deep and if anything tilt in the blue direction.  Similarly, amethyst purple looks great and lilac looks awful now.  I also avoid the deep blackish purples completely as they are now too severe for me.  I also find that a true gold is very nice, while pale yellow is awful now.  If I could find hot yellow it would probably work but it is not in style right now.  Gold has become my substitute for where I used to wear brown.  Also, black with gold colored accents reads as brownish without the tired look of actual brown.  

I have found the same thing as I get older.  I need bolder colors.  Surprisingly, they don't make me look washed out.  And I've noticed that same thing with older women over the years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Taupe is a shade of brown that goes well with cool colors.

Most jewel tones are universally flattering.

I think ivory is more flattering on almost everyone than stark white, and I'm a bright winter (between winter and spring, need bright colors to look normal).

Maybe also consider trendy colors like hot pink and bright orange.

I’ve thought about this, but they may be too bold for me. Or, I just need to be brave with color. I really love neutrals - they are so calming. 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I also capsule wardrobe and have a limited palette that I work from.  It sounds like with your transition to grey hair that you are "reading" cooler.  Are you warm toned or cool toned in your skin color?

The base of my wardrobe is black, but I am cool toned in both skin and eye color, so as I have gone silver it hasn't big a big transition. My other two tones are a blue undertone berry color and blue undertoned pine green.  I look terrible in browns (other than cocoa brown), oranges, reds, and other warmer colors.

I would try just moving from warm toned to cool toned, and see how that goes. 

ETA: link on grey hair and color seasons: https://www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/blog/jo/lets-talk-about-grey-hair

My skin tone is extremely uneven. It is naturally light to medium, but I have large areas of hyperpigmentation from a B12 deficiency I had a few years ago. This means portions of my face, arms, & neck are noticeably darker, more what I’d describe as a dark olive complexion. Makeup balances it some, but I basically have to make skin color a very small part of the equation.

Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

This makes me want to go somewhere that has the same t shirt in multiple colors & try them all on. I’ve not seriously thought about pinks & reads, though the darker cornflower blue does have a red undertone to my eye. 

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

Jewel tones. Go to a store and hold a few up to your face and see which one appeals to you. I bet a pretty jewel-toned blue would look great on you. 

It probably would because it looked good on my mom. My sibs would say it’s just another step in my transformation. 

• Haha 1

Have you tried using scarves with your current clothes for a pop of color near your face? You might be able to get away with your current clothes as long as you have something flattering near your face. They might also help you find what colors you feel best in to give you an idea for new purchases.

• Like 2

If you have silver in your grey that means you have cool coloring. I do as well even though I currently only have a a few silver hairs at one temple. The rest of my hair is a medium to dark brown. I have very fair skin with quiet pink cheeks and then blue/teal colored eyes. So think snow white with slightly lighter hair.

Most of my base pieces are black. This includes pants, shoes, cardigans, jackets and coats. I have a lot of shirts that range from light to dark grey and then many black as well. The only real colors I have are reds, burgundies, a shade most often called berry, maybe some that lean towards a purplish pink then teals, and sapphire blues. A bright navy also works for me. I do look good in most jewel tones although I am not comfortable in all of them. I do like brown so when I wear it I mix it with a color that already works for me like a leopard print or use more of a rosy brown. I also wear florals or patterns with a black base. 

In your case, I would keep black as your base and use either greys and maybe some cool tans as other neutrals and then add a few bright jewels tones for color probably in the red/burgundy family since you seem to like those colors. For casual wear with jeans a light denim or chambray usually looks good on older women and can be layered over a white tank. That can be layered over a pair of  black pants for a sightly dressier look. And as someone else mentioned if you have shirts you really like but are maybe not the best color for you then layering a colorful scarf over it can work. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bibiche said:

Have you tried using scarves with your current clothes for a pop of color near your face? You might be able to get away with your current clothes as long as you have something flattering near your face. They might also help you find what colors you feel best in to give you an idea for new purchases.

Yes - I have a lot of scarves and wear them regularly. 

• Like 1

I have a pretty tight capsule wardrobe with all of the basics in both black and navy (pants, jeans, tops, cardigans, jackets, shoes, handbags, etc) plus additional tops/blouses/sweaters in white, gray, and various shades of blue and blue-green (cornflower, sapphire, teal, spruce, etc.). And then I have a large collection of cotton, silk, and cashmere scarves I can use to add a pop of color and pattern to the basics. I'd rather spend more money on a really nice silk scarf with a great pattern and beautiful colors and then save money buying basic tees, jeans, and sweaters on sale from Lands End or Macy's. Another advantage of investing in nice accessories is that they always fit even if your weight goes up and down. I had to basically replace my entire wardrobe a couple of years ago after losing 40 lbs, but at least all my scarves still "fit" perfectly!

• Like 2