Menu

Just found a small scorpion in my garage. . .

Forget-Me-Not

. . . anyone wanna come over for a big bonfire 😧 

Seriously, it was dying when I found it. The pest control company came a few days ago and I think that did it in. Well, that and the push broom I used liberally upon its person.

Google tells me it stings but the venom isn’t a problem for humans unless they’re allergic. But still. I do not do arachnids. Nope nope nope.

We are in the process of landscaping our newly built home, so I’m sure it’s soil disturbance and not likely to be a long-term problem, but yikes that was the finishing touch on a long, problematic day. 

• Sad 7

4 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

. . . anyone wanna come over for a big bonfire 😧 

Seriously, it was dying when I found it. The pest control company came a few days ago and I think that did it in. Well, that and the push broom I used liberally upon its person.

Google tells me it stings but the venom isn’t a problem for humans unless they’re allergic. But still. I do not do arachnids. Nope nope nope.

We are in the process of landscaping our newly built home, so I’m sure it’s soil disturbance and not likely to be a long-term problem, but yikes that was the finishing touch on a long, problematic day. 

I feel for you.  We've had 2 indoor stings in the last year(actually both last fall).   One landed my 40 lb 8 year old in the hospital but she didn't need the anti venom.  Dr told me he has only had to give it to someone over age 3 I think 3-4 times in his career.  So yes the venom is "poisonous" but it's not deadly. It is *very* painful.  Very very very.  We've lived in the desert for 23 years and until 5 years ago hadn't seen them or been stung. We've had 4 stings in 5 years with the two I mentioned in the last year.   I HATE them but it is part of life here.  We think our indoor ones came in on boxes when we remodeled the bathroom 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yikes! This one is one of 4-5 species in our area and supposedly they’re all pretty harmless . I didn’t even know we had them here.
We had a sun spider here a few weeks ago. In fact I thought it was another one of those but DH pointed out that this one has a stinger. It was very small, maybe 1-1 1/2 inches head to stinger. I hope it’s the last one I see. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not

Nope. Noping that. Just No.

You may need to move.

I was stung on the back of the head once, it was on my car headrest, after camping. I made my DH drive my car for months after that, I was convinced there was a nest of the little beasts in the car somewhere!

• Like 2

Do you have a blacklight flashlight? If not, maybe get one and do a scorpion check inside and outside each night. We recently stayed in Phoenix and took our kids around the yard to find scorpions - it was crazy how many there were! On the block wall where our 12yos had been hanging out that afternoon, there were 4 on the wall face or in the cracks. Ick ick ick ick ick. Nasty buggers for sure.

We used tall glass jars for the bed legs when we lived in the Valley and always checked shoes, kept things up off floors, etc.

Ick...now I have the shivers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Shoeless said:

Yes, shake out your shoes. I was stung on my toe by one hiding in my shoe. Not venomous, but it hurt like heck. It was like being zapped by an electric shock.

We've killed at least 8 in the house this year. 

This happened to me a few months ago…it definitely hurts! The crazy part was I had my shoes on for about 4 hours before it stung me, so it was just hiding in there! I have no idea how or why it didn’t sting me sooner, but it gives me the creeps knowing I had a scorpion by my foot for hours. 😩 🤢 Now I make it a habit to shake out my shoes. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There was one or two back-to-back summers when I was a child that they were fairly common in my neck of the woods (in the Midwest). One, we removed from the corner of a wall near the ceiling in my younger sister's room. We had another in our garage. Found a few others outside here and there. I haven't seen any in the wild since. I've often wondered why.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

There was one or two back-to-back summers when I was a child that they were fairly common in my neck of the woods (in the Midwest). One, we removed from the corner of a wall near the ceiling in my younger sister's room. We had another in our garage. Found a few others outside here and there. I haven't seen any in the wild since. I've often wondered why.

Ahhhh!!!!

• Haha 1