Menu

The Class of 2024 College Application Thread

JennyD

Please send all your good wishes that there might be a future Boilermaker in my house. Today is Purdue’s EA release day. 

ETA: well today wasn’t the day. Maybe for RD on March 31? But we are sad.

Edited by Acorn
  • Like 2
  • Sad 7

26 minutes ago, Acorn said:

Please send all your good wishes that there might be a future Boilermaker in my house. Today is Purdue’s EA release day. 

Fingers crossed and sending you all the good thoughts...!

4 hours ago, Acorn said:

aw, I'm sorry 😞

6 hours ago, catz said:

Yay @kokotgthat is awesome news! 

Did you all watch the holiday orchestra/choir clips on youtube (we know a couple kids in the group).  It made me swoon!  😍

I did! I put one of the albums from a few years ago on my Christmas playlist this year, too 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Acorn said:

Oh, I am sorry.  

On 1/11/2024 at 7:04 PM, kokotg said:

St. Olaf finally posted FA, and it's totally doable! yay! He also met with the horn teacher online the other day and liked her a lot, so that's the all the  pieces that had to fall into place for St. Olaf to be a great option. Now I'm just going to keep trying to keep his hopes low for March, which ended up being very, very reach heavy since we knew he already had good choices from EA. After his oldest brother's March of the Waitlists, I am all about managing expectations. There are a couple more that he should get into (and there's nowhere where he has no shot or anything, it's just a lot of places that are in that crapshoot for everyone territory). But we're all big St. Olaf fans here, so it will be fine no matter what. 

Great news, I hope that future you will send future me a PM when he's going to have a recital or other big concert.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Acorn said:

I'm so sorry acorn!  Are you OOS?  These big flagships get harder by the year, I swear.  Crossing fingers for happy news coming down the line soon for your student!  ❤️  

• Like 3

On 1/10/2024 at 5:30 PM, cintinative said:

This reminds me of a friend who used to joke she was serving year 12 of a 24 year sentence (due to homeschooling multiple children).  

I'll have to remember that one for later when someone asks how many more years I have left of homeschooling. I usually just say, "To infinity and beyond". 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 2:05 PM, Acorn said:

Sending you a hug. I don't have anything wise to say. 

• Like 1

Still not done here… son applying to UCSB College of Creative Studies… which has five short response questions (each max 250 words), recommendation letters and sample of work.  Die Jan 30th.  Daughter has two dance auditions coming up as well - last one beginning of February. Nothing like dragging this out forever.  I can’t wait for this to be over! 

• Like 5

Probably a question that can only be answered by speculation, but why do some schools notify by December and others wait until February?  What do the February schools gain by delaying?  We are already getting emails about housing for the December schools.  😬

13 hours ago, cintinative said:

Probably a question that can only be answered by speculation, but why do some schools notify by December and others wait until February?  What do the February schools gain by delaying?  We are already getting emails about housing for the December schools.  😬

My impression is that those December admits sending housing emails are putting on pressure to get you to commit and thus protect/increase their yield.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2024 at 4:06 PM, cintinative said:

We ended up putting down housing deposits at two schools Dd did not end up attending. Fully refundable before May. Not the same as accepting an admissions offer at those schools. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

We ended up putting down housing deposits at two schools Dd did not end up attending. Fully refundable before May. 

I am sure I would do the same thing with the way housing has gotten so tight at so many schools. If my dc was considering a school with limited housing I would put down a deposit and reserve a spot. 

• Like 2

You have to check, some require a deposit and "accepting admission" before you can deposit on housing.  I suspect the housing "issue" isn't as bad as they might advertise if this is required but want to set their class earlier.  Double depositing/committing is considered unethical and can be grounds to rescind/reevaluate.  I have no idea how likely that is but I have read a couple stories about it.   My rule following self would have been too nervous to try this.

We did put down a deposit on a rolling admit school that allowed a $50 deposit just for housing to get in line in the lottery that didn't require accepting admission and that larger deposit.

• Like 2

Oh and I have no idea on Dec vs. later on EA/ED admissions.   I have a kid that attended a school that release EA before the holidays when he applied in 2018.     Application numbers were HIGHER than ever that year.  But they have only gotten higher since then.  I think they just need all that time to get through them.  One thing with that school is that year they also rolled them out in 3 or 4 groupings.  Well that just led to WAY more questions in the AO office that month while they were busy.  It's eaiser and less work for them to roll them all out at once.

• Like 1

Ironically, the last school we have to hear from (we just heard that they will release decisions on the 22nd)  has a known serious housing problem.  I mean, even if we didn't find oodles of evidence on the internet, there were random students telling our tour group there was no housing plus stuff posted on the bulletin boards.  Fortunately this school is commuting distance so housing will not be a issue. The school is trying to grow but is also totally landlocked. I am not sure how that works  but that is the crux of the problem.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no good news here.  Son was deferred at Michigan and out right rejected at Georgia Tech.  Still wrapping my head around Georgia Tech -- I really wasn't expecting that.  Kid has top grades, coursework, and test scores -- thought he would at least be deferred. (It was one of his top choices.)  So we are moving on but my optimism for the other schools he applied to has taken a hit.  He was invited to a scholarship weekend at one school he was accepted at and that is in a couple of weeks.  He is unsure about this school at the moment -- so I am really hoping the visit will be good and that it might be a good fit for him that he will feel really good about.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, blue plaid said:

Well, no good news here.  Son was deferred at Michigan and out right rejected at Georgia Tech.  Still wrapping my head around Georgia Tech -- I really wasn't expecting that.  Kid has top grades, coursework, and test scores -- thought he would at least be deferred. (It was one of his top choices.)  

I'm sorry 😞Georgia Tech is so tough these days, particularly for OOS. My husband teaches at a STEM magnet school north of Atlanta and practically EVERY kid is trying to get into Tech. It's rough out there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I haven't said much about my oldest kid who's applying to grad schools (math phd) this year, but I guess I'll throw it in here since there's nowhere else for it...he applied to I think 7 or 8 schools and just heard that he got into UC Denver. UC Denver was his closest thing to a safety, and it's also where his girlfriend is. Also the lowest stipend I believe of any of his schools. So it will be interesting to see how he approaches this decision (if there's even a decision to be made. He has a really strong application, but he watched a lot of his friends with equally strong applications not get into any very competitive programs last year, including the girlfriend). My job I'm pretty sure is not to say a word unless asked for advice and even then to tread very, very carefully. On one hand, he's looking at a VERY competitive field, so it seems like he should go to the best program he can. On the other hand, he and the girlfriend seem pretty serious (we met her over Christmas. We like her a lot!) and I'm sure staring down 6 years of long distance relationship seems pretty daunting. So we'll see! I know from sleuthing on message boards that one of his other schools, Georgia Tech, sent out a round of acceptances last week. I don't think HE knows that, though, and I won't tell him. My understanding is that there's a lot of movement on this stuff after the first acceptances go out anyway, so I don't think it means he has no chance there yet. 

And other kid just had his UGA music audition this morning, and DH reports he was in a very good mood afterwards, so yay! He's chugging along with interviews and sample lessons; I can't even keep up. He has a Vassar alum interview Monday, had a Kenyon one this past week, is trying to set up a Middlebury one, is touring the music department at Emory at some point soon (Emory is, interestingly, probably his brother's top pick of his grad school apps...I would love having both of them at the same school and so close...but odds of that are extremely low. They both applied to Brandeis, too, so there's one other shot at it there). 

• Like 8

Today my son finished his last college application -- the UCSB College of Creative Studies supplemental due date was the 31st of January, so he's actually a few days early for once:)  Now he can finally sit back and relax a bit! 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, blue plaid said:

Well, no good news here.  Son was deferred at Michigan and out right rejected at Georgia Tech.  Still wrapping my head around Georgia Tech -- I really wasn't expecting that.  Kid has top grades, coursework, and test scores -- thought he would at least be deferred. (It was one of his top choices.)  So we are moving on but my optimism for the other schools he applied to has taken a hit.  He was invited to a scholarship weekend at one school he was accepted at and that is in a couple of weeks.  He is unsure about this school at the moment -- so I am really hoping the visit will be good and that it might be a good fit for him that he will feel really good about.

I'm so sorry.  This whole process feels so random at times. And I totally agree with kokotg that Georgia Tech has become incredibly competitive.  I live in TN and piles of STEM kids here apply to GT.   

Fingers crossed that your son has a good visit at the other school!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Checking in --- how are we all doing? 

My daughter's list is down to THREE --- which is refreshing, since we were at 8 at one point. I know there mommas here with more on their list, but I don't have the brainpower for that! 

We're down to three schools --- a regional public school in our state, the state flagship school, and a super reach. 😆

We did a departmental visit at the regional school --- met with the department head, took a tour, met with a professor, and she sat in on a class. We then went over to the equestrian facilities and met the riding coach and assistants. It was a slam dunk. She's loved this school since Day 1, so none of this was a surprise. 

We need to schedule a similar experience at the state flagship, just so we compare apples to apples.  We're going to have to make the decision soon (as in next week) regarding housing, as it can be tight at both schools. 

It just feels good to be approaching the finish line. 

• Like 9

I haven't updated in a while...we just got an acceptance from Virginia Tech, which was the last to respond since kid applied early everywhere.  Funny enough, we were there last weekend for a Science Olympiad tournament so we got to see it.  Neat campus, but, no Honors College - it may have been due to an SRAR issue that popped up at the last minute - but that may have eliminated it even though we enjoyed campus.  But, we need some reason to start making choices so that's as good as any.  

I don't remember what all I've posted, so I'll summarize - we've got acceptances from Auburn, Clemson (with honors college), UA-Huntsville (will apply to honors - it's not crazy competitive), Rose-Hulman, VT, UT-K, and TN Tech.  With kid's criteria of not pretentious, not in a city, preferring the south since there's no reason to have to fly if there is someplace reasonable within driving range, that list covered a decent number of schools with engineering.  Kid has good stats but admissions has been so crazy that we were afraid not to apply to a bunch of places since most are out of state.  

We sat down with kid last night and said that it was time to start narrowing it down, and while there is some pondering to do I think it's probably Clemson and UA-H as the top contenders.  My kids grew up with Clemson since spouse and I both went there, and kid was very impressed with the research opportunities that the faculty members discussed (it really isn't a fair comparison in some ways -we know people there).  Huntsville offers great internship opportunities and great automatic $.  For some of the schools, we won't know about merit awards until late because they like to bundle it into a package and FAFSA is so delayed.  t's always scary to press buttons, but I think that kid may be ready to start declining some offers next week.  With some of the southern schools getting crazy numbers of applicants, hopefully that will free up some spaces on the wait lists.  I wish this process wasn't so wonky.  

• Like 8

I'm impressed with all the narrowing down happening! My first two kids both waited until the day before the May 1 deadline to deposit anywhere. We'll see with this kid, though...he won't hear from anywhere else until March, but I have to say I have trouble seeing how most places compete with St. Olaf. It's just got everything he's looking for with good liberal arts college where he can also do music performance. Lawrence has that, too, but I'll be surprised if they can match the FA at St. Olaf (assuming he gets in--that audition is a video one due later this month). But I've certainly been surprised before by kid college decisions!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, kokotg said:

I'm impressed with all the narrowing down happening! My first two kids both waited until the day before the May 1 deadline to deposit anywhere. 

I needed to read this because I think that may be us, especially given the delay with FAFSA which may in turn delay merit offers.  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, cintinative said:

I needed to read this because I think that may be us, especially given the delay with FAFSA which may in turn delay merit offers.  

It makes sense; it's a really big decision! But it was sort of agonizing to live through on my part! 

• Like 2

DS just got what I guess is a likely letter from the music school at UGA...an "official decisions will be released later this month, but we think you'll be pleased with the results" sort of e-mail. When I said I didn't know if anywhere could compete with St. Olaf I meant, "I mean, except probably the music school at UGA." VERY different options, but lots of pros and cons with both. In my mind the main con for UGA is if he doesn't stick with a music major he's just at a giant state school, which isn't what he wants. And the main pro is it's only an hour and a half away! Also it's his only non CSS school, so we won't have any idea how the money will compare until the FAFSA mess is sorted out (I'm fairly certain he'll get SOME pell, but don't know how much). Also until music scholarships are released at the end of the month. They could end up pretty much the same price or several thousand dollars a year different. This is all because the St. Olaf aid is surprisingly good, so it's a nice problem to have.

• Like 9

On 2/3/2024 at 7:25 PM, Clemsondana said:

I haven't updated in a while...we just got an acceptance from Virginia Tech, which was the last to respond since kid applied early everywhere.  Funny enough, we were there last weekend for a Science Olympiad tournament so we got to see it.  Neat campus, but, no Honors College - it may have been due to an SRAR issue that popped up at the last minute - but that may have eliminated it even though we enjoyed campus.  But, we need some reason to start making choices so that's as good as any.  

My National Merit, 1590 SAT, 4.0 uw GPA, lots of DE, handful of AP older daughter got accepted to VT engineering in 2021, but not to the Honors College.  She thought that was kind of hilarious.  If they weren't offering her the Honors College, she felt that meant they must not particularly want her, which seemed strange given their gender ratio.  OTOH, I also wondered if they prefer not to accept OOS students to the Honors College, since they might want honors-specific scholarships to go to in-state students.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, jplain said:

My National Merit, 1590 SAT, 4.0 uw GPA, lots of DE, handful of AP older daughter got accepted to VT engineering in 2021, but not to the Honors College.  She thought that was kind of hilarious.  If they weren't offering her the Honors College, she felt that meant they must not particularly want her, which seemed strange given their gender ratio.  OTOH, I also wondered if they prefer not to accept OOS students to the Honors College, since they might want honors-specific scholarships to go to in-state students.

Those are my kid's stats too - 1590, 4.0UW, a bunch of AP and DE - and kid was also accepted to engineering.  There was a last minute SRAR glitch, but it could also be OOS or essays or ??  But kid has divided colleges into categories and Clemson, Auburn, and VT are in the same category.  We've heard over and over 'love the school that loves you back' and while none of the schools in that category will give the $ that UAH will, the other 2 have shown more love (although VT definitely has cool buildings!). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Clemsondana said:

We've heard over and over 'love the school that loves you back' 

Can you elaborate on this?  

Some schools seem to be better about communication in general. Or is this referring to something else? I would love to hear more. Thank you.

21 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Some schools seem to be better about communication in general. Or is this referring to something else? I would love to hear more. Thank you.

I've heard that used in context of loving the school that accepts you and maybe rolls out the red carpet a bit (merit scholarships, faculty contact, individual attention,  etc).  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Yes, like catz said, it's about loving a school that wants you instead of pining for one that you didn't get in to, or waiting to get off of a waitlist when you have acceptances anywhere.  It starts with finding safety and target schools that you like and would be happy to go to.  You don't want to feel like 'I'm stuck at Bad College' - you want to be excited about each college that you apply to so that you could be happy at any of them.  For my kid, UA-H is a safety.  But, their internship opportunities are actually very appealing to my kid, so when kid got that as the first acceptance the thought was 'Yay, I may not end up there but I have an option that I like!'.  

Some schools are better communicators than others, and it's OK for that to matter, too.  Some schools have irritated kid with their process, while others have impressed kid with their efficiency.  Kid doesn't care much about swag or VIP events, but kid does appreciate clear and timely communication and a streamlined process.  And, things like acceptance for the honors college communicate 'you are one of our top X%' so you may be eligible for money and opportunities.  There may be some other advantages for a particular school, but it's useful to consider when narrowing the list.  

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a check in ---- how are we all doing? 

We're headed to a departmental visit this week to our state flagship. I thought we'd shifted this lower on our list, but she's taking a second look. 

We're beginning a two week Spring Break, and it couldn't be timed better. We all need it. 

How are you all? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MagistraKennedy said:

Time for a check in ---- how are we all doing? 

We're headed to a departmental visit this week to our state flagship. I thought we'd shifted this lower on our list, but she's taking a second look. 

We're beginning a two week Spring Break, and it couldn't be timed better. We all need it. 

How are you all? 

The departmental visit (as opposed to the big public tour) definitely turned DS around on our state flagship--hope the visit goes well! 

Still in a holding pattern here waiting on March decisions. I had some hopes that Lawrence would come out by the end of the month, but I checked back on old CC threads, and it looks like it was March 10 last year. My nephew just got a bunch of decisions last week (completely different list than DS), so now I'm feeling antsy. We're planning on college visits first week of April (DH's spring break, so the 11 year old and the dogs will stay home with him), but we don't know where yet!

Oh--grad school applying DS has been told he's on the "preliminary short list" at Vanderbilt, and they're paying for him to go visit this week. So that's exciting! His brother's at Vanderbilt, so having two there would be nice/convenient for ME, at any rate. Senior DS is going to go up and visit at the same time, so that will be fun for the three of them. 

• Like 9

We are just hanging out waiting here as well.  Son had a scholarship weekend at Baylor a few weeks ago.  He didn't get that scholarship (but he earlier did get some other scholarship money from them,) but he did seem to really like the school.  He is supposed to hear from Illinois this Friday.  Besides that he is waiting to hear from 3 highly rejective schools, which I assume will probably release in late March.  I have degrees from 2 of these, not sure if that will slightly increase his odds at the crap shoot or not. I think Baylor could be a really nice fit for him.  But we shall see.  He doesn't seem too concerned one way or the other but sometimes he is hard to read.

• Like 8

We finally scheduled a campus visit for one of my dc's schools. He has never been there. Trying to schedule a departmental visit has been difficult though. I emailed right after I scheduled our regular tour, and then a week later my son called, and then a week later, I emailed admissions because we had heard nothing. I finally heard from someone that day who asked about our other appts for that day, and then heard nothing for three days. I emailed her again yesterday. I am a little worried.

We are still waiting for additional scholarship awards at his top two schools.  It seems so weird to not be more certain of things right now. Hopefully the campus visit will help my son evaluate the schools against each other. They are super different.  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 12:31 PM, kokotg said:

The departmental visit (as opposed to the big public tour) definitely turned DS around on our state flagship--hope the visit goes well! 

Still in a holding pattern here waiting on March decisions. I had some hopes that Lawrence would come out by the end of the month, but I checked back on old CC threads, and it looks like it was March 10 last year. My nephew just got a bunch of decisions last week (completely different list than DS), so now I'm feeling antsy. We're planning on college visits first week of April (DH's spring break, so the 11 year old and the dogs will stay home with him), but we don't know where yet!

Oh--grad school applying DS has been told he's on the "preliminary short list" at Vanderbilt, and they're paying for him to go visit this week. So that's exciting! His brother's at Vanderbilt, so having two there would be nice/convenient for ME, at any rate. Senior DS is going to go up and visit at the same time, so that will be fun for the three of them. 

The visit went well ---- but I don't think we're any clearer than we were prior to the visit. 

The pull for the state flagship is non academic 🤣 She has friends there now, friends going in the fall, and the riding team (horseback) is the same discipline that she's been accustomed to for over a decade. However --- the school is SO FREAKING BIG. I also don't think the major is exactly what she wants. At the smaller regional state school, the neuroscience major is heavy on psychology, plus bio/chem/physics. At the flagship, it's flipped --- more bio/chem, with some psychology added in. 

She had a great time visiting the barn where the riding team practices --- she was able to see a foal that was born a few hours before we arrived, as well as visit with another foal that was about 10 days home. 

We've got one more long shot that releases next week. I need to prep for a letdown, even though she's pretty pragmatic. After that comes in, we will apply for housing at the flasghip, and look toward making a decision. 

It's SO challenging with everyone coming out at different times. Many of her friends have locked in decisions, so I feel a little pressured, but trying to stay the course and stay calm. We have a busy spring with activities for five children, so I'm trying to just enjoy the time we have with her. 

Fingers crossed for you ❤️ Congrats on the Vandy short list! My daughter has already said that if she didn't get into her long shot, "there's always grad school there" -- so sweet. 

Edited by MagistraKennedy
  • Like 6

On 2/25/2024 at 4:57 PM, blue plaid said:

We are just hanging out waiting here as well.  Son had a scholarship weekend at Baylor a few weeks ago.  He didn't get that scholarship (but he earlier did get some other scholarship money from them,) but he did seem to really like the school.  He is supposed to hear from Illinois this Friday.  Besides that he is waiting to hear from 3 highly rejective schools, which I assume will probably release in late March.  I have degrees from 2 of these, not sure if that will slightly increase his odds at the crap shoot or not. I think Baylor could be a really nice fit for him.  But we shall see.  He doesn't seem too concerned one way or the other but sometimes he is hard to read.

I'd like to hear about your experience with a scholarship weekend. 
Is he liking a particular school (Baylor, Illinois, etc) or noncommittal at this point? 

On 2/28/2024 at 12:03 PM, cintinative said:

We finally scheduled a campus visit for one of my dc's schools. He has never been there. Trying to schedule a departmental visit has been difficult though. I emailed right after I scheduled our regular tour, and then a week later my son called, and then a week later, I emailed admissions because we had heard nothing. I finally heard from someone that day who asked about our other appts for that day, and then heard nothing for three days. I emailed her again yesterday. I am a little worried.

We are still waiting for additional scholarship awards at his top two schools.  It seems so weird to not be more certain of things right now. Hopefully the campus visit will help my son evaluate the schools against each other. They are super different.  

I felt like the smaller regional school here did a much better job with the departmental visit. It was SO much more personal and attentive. (not surprisingly, as it's smaller) I spoke with admissions to get that set up, who then referred us off to psych sciences and we worked it out from them. For the flagship school, it was right on the visits page. 
I'd be concerned and annoyed, but I realize they're trying to serve different audiences at this point, right? Admitted students, students trying to make a decision, juniors beginning, etc. 

Hands down, campus visits have been so helpful. (at least to me as a parent)

• Like 3

DS waitlisted at Macalester (after a deferral in EA). I guess they had already guessed they couldn't count on big donations from us or his older brother 😂. He's fine and likely won't accept the waitlist spot. I'm not worried about this one so much as if there are another 10 of them coming in the next couple of weeks. Settling in for a bumpy ride. Because second guessing is what I do at this point, I wonder if his application screams "actually, I want a music school!" a little too much. But...he kind of does, so...

grad school DS got into the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. With a very low stipend, and they didn't even offer to pay full expenses for a visit, so...maybe not that one. He did the Vanderbilt visit and really liked it, but still waiting on an official offer (he was told by current students there that last year everyone who was invited to visit got an offer). 

• Like 8

23 hours ago, MagistraKennedy said:

I'd like to hear about your experience with a scholarship weekend. 
Is he liking a particular school (Baylor, Illinois, etc) or noncommittal at this point? 

The scholarship weekend was really nice!  Friday evening was an optional reception with lots of fun local desserts; he was able to talk to a few faculty members and students.  Earlier in the afternoon we toured a residential college where he would most likely choose to live if he attends.  Saturday there were separate programs for students and parents.  We had a welcome session and then the choice of several panels over the course of the morning.  Students had their own welcome session I think.  He was in a group with potential engineering/cs students.  They then visited several labs --- in each one a faculty member told them about the research they were doing.  They also were broken into groups for a group project -- something about building a structure out of straws that would hold books I think.  After the weekend they were required to respond to an essay prompt -- essay was due two days later (they were given the prompt ahead of time.) 

He seemed to really like it and is leaning towards Baylor --  I think it is likely he will end up there.  The engineering school is really very small, but they have the type of engineering he is interested in, and he seems to really like that it is small and the focus on community.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, blue plaid said:

The scholarship weekend was really nice!  Friday evening was an optional reception with lots of fun local desserts; he was able to talk to a few faculty members and students.  Earlier in the afternoon we toured a residential college where he would most likely choose to live if he attends.  Saturday there were separate programs for students and parents.  We had a welcome session and then the choice of several panels over the course of the morning.  Students had their own welcome session I think.  He was in a group with potential engineering/cs students.  They then visited several labs --- in each one a faculty member told them about the research they were doing.  They also were broken into groups for a group project -- something about building a structure out of straws that would hold books I think.  After the weekend they were required to respond to an essay prompt -- essay was due two days later (they were given the prompt ahead of time.) 

That sounds wonderful!  What a great opportunity.

• Like 1

Roller coaster March goes on: Grinnell acceptance on Monday, Kenyon waitlist today. We were not even a tiny bit surprised, having experienced Kenyon's brand of need-aware + strong consideration of demonstrated interest admissions before with my oldest. I think he would have wanted to go see it if they'd accepted him, but he likely won't take the waitlist spot. This makes travel planning easier at least--the other Ohio school that's still out there is Oberlin, but he's already visited and is very familiar with it. We were planning on St. Olaf for spring break first week of April, probably Lawrence (he's having trouble getting in touch with the horn teacher there), and it should be pretty easy to add Grinnell in there, too (it only adds an hour to the drive). And then if there are schools in the northeast that he gets into and wants to see, we can do one more trip later in April I think. Things are really rounded out now: big state school where he likes the music school a lot and would be close to home, LAC also with great music, another LAC with a conservatory, and then a great LAC if he decides he doesn't want a performance major after all (FA is best at Grinnell of the current options, but their idea of no loans needed is not as generous as Vanderbilt's sadly). Up next: at least a couple more this weekend...he should officially hear from UGA for music this weekend, and I hope also about music scholarships. Fingers crossed! 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

Things are really rounded out now: big state school where he likes the music school a lot and would be close to home, LAC also with great music, another LAC with a conservatory, and then a great LAC if he decides he doesn't want a performance major after all

This is really great!  Such good options.  

• Like 3

DECISION MADE 🥳

Rejected at Notre Dame, pulled the trigger on Western Kentucky University. ❤️

Signed up for TOP (Topper Orientation Program) in April, where she'll register for classes, get her ID, etc. Registered for M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan, which is the transition/move in for all new undergrads. Bought official merch. 😆

I'm at peace with the decision, and feel like we can all breathe easier now. 

• Like 18