Menu

The Class of 2024 College Application Thread

JennyD

They're really rolling in now: rejections at Middlebury and Wesleyan; waitlist at Bates. I'm ready to declare this admissions season even less predictable than his brother's 5 years ago. Fortunately, he's totally moved on emotionally and is ready to get the rest of the decisions so he can figure out where he's going. Just talked to him and he thinks Emory is the most likely non-music school to sway him....of course the problem there is he likely won't get in 🙂 We'll find out next week! At least four more decisions between now and Saturday! Home stretch! 

• Like 11

On 3/16/2024 at 12:05 PM, MagistraKennedy said:

DECISION MADE 🥳

Rejected at Notre Dame, pulled the trigger on Western Kentucky University. ❤️

Signed up for TOP (Topper Orientation Program) in April, where she'll register for classes, get her ID, etc. Registered for M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan, which is the transition/move in for all new undergrads. Bought official merch. 😆

I'm at peace with the decision, and feel like we can all breathe easier now. 

Buying official merch is such a great feeling! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom said:

DS rejected at Harvey Mudd last night - he only applied to two privates (HM and Caltech) and they both rejected him.  Which works out great for us as we have free in state tuition😂

It's always nice when rejections come with a significant silver lining!

• Like 6

15 hours ago, kokotg said:

They're really rolling in now: rejections at Middlebury and Wesleyan; waitlist at Bates. I'm ready to declare this admissions season even less predictable than his brother's 5 years ago. Fortunately, he's totally moved on emotionally and is ready to get the rest of the decisions so he can figure out where he's going. Just talked to him and he thinks Emory is the most likely non-music school to sway him....of course the problem there is he likely won't get in 🙂 We'll find out next week! At least four more decisions between now and Saturday! Home stretch! 

It is such a roller coaster and I can't imagine how it feels to be constantly weighed and found wanting, acceptable, or, "hey maybe we will let you in, maybe we won't. Let's wait and see." 

• Like 7

Waitlisted at Brandeis. huh. I'm not really finding any discernible patterns this year. That was one that I figured was one of the most likely admits (certainly well ahead of Grinnell). The only other one still out there that I HAD been thinking of as a likely is Oberlin, but now I really don't know what to think. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

Waitlisted at Brandeis. huh. I'm not really finding any discernible patterns this year. That was one that I figured was one of the most likely admits (certainly well ahead of Grinnell). The only other one still out there that I HAD been thinking of as a likely is Oberlin, but now I really don't know what to think. 

Brandeis’s higher acceptance rate is deceiving, kind of like Reed’s and some of the women’s colleges. The applicants to these schools are self-selecting, and generally very strong. The fact that there aren’t a bajillion people applying makes it look easier than it is. Fingers crossed for Oberlin.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Brandeis’s higher acceptance rate is deceiving, kind of like Reed’s and some of the women’s colleges. The applicants to these schools are self-selecting, and generally very strong. The fact that there aren’t a bajillion people applying makes it look easier than it is. Fingers crossed for Oberlin.

I certainly don't mean anything against Brandeis (I have a masters from Brandeis!)...but it wasn't just the acceptance rate but his stats relative to their averages as well (his SAT is near their 75th%, and I think that's probably the weaker part of his application compared to his courses/grades) that made it seem like a match/likely. There was some weirdness where they recommend an interview for homeschoolers but weren't showing any availability, so he e-mailed admissions to ask about it, they assured him they'd be opening up more slots any day, and then they just...never did. Anyway, I don't mean to be like, "I can't believe they rejected my kid!" ...but just putting all his decisions together things just look....a little random. Which I know to expect by now, but even more random than my first time through 5 years ago. 

• Like 3

@kokotg I hear you. Applying to college is an awful, demoralizing, unpredictable experience. I look forward to grad school admissions, which actually make sense, at least, because it’s the profs deciding and not some randos in admissions seemingly picking names out of a hat.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 9

And I should say again that this kid is totally fine with all of this. He's happy with his acceptances, and anything else would be a bonus that would make his April more hectic and his decision harder. So while college admissions ARE very often unpredictable and demoralizing, some combination of his personality and his earlier acceptances are making this more of a fascinating thing to observe and try to figure out for me than anything else. Not that my heart doesn't race every time he checks a portal anyway, but that's on me. Probably some leftover trauma from kid #1, who I remember very clearly telling me after waitlist #6 or so, "I feel like I'm never going to be happy again." And I also know that things turned out fine for THAT kid, too. So I keep coming back and reporting results, but I really am just sort of taking notes at this point (I have one more to go! not for 7 years, thank goodness). I mean, obviously I'd rather every school acknowledge how objectively incredible my kid is 😂...but it's all fine this year.

Kid #1 is the one applying for math phd programs right now, and it does appear more predictable but not necessarily any more fun (at least not for a super competitive field). Fortunately, waitlists no longer send him into a spiral of despair! Incidentally, he applied to Brandeis, too, this year, for grad school, and they've totally ghosted him. So we ARE a little grumpy with Brandeis around here at the moment. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Another data point in favor of "this is the most unpredictable process/year ever:" he just got into Colby!

Congratulations! 🎉 

I’m chuckling a little because I heard from a friend moments before reading this that her daughter at Colby is applying to transfer to….Brandeis. 🤣 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Congratulations! 🎉 

I’m chuckling a little because I heard from a friend moments before reading this that her daughter at Colby is applying to transfer to….Brandeis. 🤣 

ha! that is funny! We know very little about Colby--haven't visited; it got tossed in (as it does for a lot of applicants I'm sure), because it seems cool and has no supplemental essay. But the financial aid is amazing, so we're going to need to take a serious look now. ETA: what does your friend's daughter dislike about it?

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, kokotg said:

ha! that is funny! We know very little about Colby--haven't visited; it got tossed in (as it does for a lot of applicants I'm sure), because it seems cool and has no supplemental essay. But the financial aid is amazing, so we're going to need to take a serious look now. ETA: what does your friend's daughter dislike about it?

Lots of what my kids call lacs-bros there and Waterville isn't a beauty spot but you would have Mainer hive aunties to keep an eye out for him 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

She didn’t like the area, but what she especially didn’t like was the social scene. She said it was a lot of “rich, entitled, white prep school kids” throwing ragers every weekend. It is pretty common at rural schools for the social life to revolve around drinking, and that definitely *used* to be Colby’s reputation. I was actually surprised though, because I thought they’d been working to rid themselves of that and to increase diversity. She’s a rather mature, serious student and didn’t find that the academics made up for what she perceived as negatives (and, hey, some kids love that scene). She’s looking for a nerdier vibe. 

I don’t think she got amazing financial aid though. If she had, maybe her mom would have encouraged her to try to stick it out, I don’t know.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bibiche said:

She didn’t like the area, but what she especially didn’t like was the social scene. She said it was a lot of “rich, entitled, white prep school kids” throwing ragers every weekend. It is pretty common at rural schools for the social life to revolve around drinking, and that definitely *used* to be Colby’s reputation. I was actually surprised though, because I thought they’d been working to rid themselves of that and to increase diversity. She’s a rather mature, serious student and didn’t find that the academics made up for what she perceived as negatives (because, hey, some kids love that scene). She’s looking for a nerdier vibe. 

I don’t think she got amazing financial aid though. If she had, maybe her mom would have encouraged her to try to stick it out, I don’t know.

Yeah, that vibe would be my fear with Colby and a lot of the NESCACs. Grinnell definitely seems like a better fit socially for DS (I'm sort of surprised Colby didn't think it wasn't a good fit, really; he wrote his common app essay about his D&D characters; his app definitely had nerd written all over it 😂)...but I suspect it's all going to come down to music for him one way or the other (i.e. whether he's set on a music school and, if not, how good he feels like the music opportunities are if he majors in something else and keeps it as a hobby). And the orchestra director and French horn teacher at Grinnell aren't responding to his e-mails!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

He got into Amherst!! We're kind of stunned here right now. (Rejected at Williams, but who cares now?!)

Love Amherst! Yay!

Yay for need-affirmative admissions at Amherst too. (Not saying you need that, it's just a great feature of Amherst.)

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Eos said:

Love Amherst! Yay!

Yay for need-affirmative admissions at Amherst too. (Not saying you need that, it's just a great feature of Amherst.)

I'd be ready to draw conclusions about need-aware schools were it not for Colby today. As it is I'm going to tentatively go with French horn is magical...if the school needs new horn players. But who knows?! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, kokotg said:

I'd be ready to draw conclusions about need-aware schools were it not for Colby today. As it is I'm going to tentatively go with French horn is magical...if the school needs new horn players. But who knows?! 

Oh it absolutely is! Like sports! Congrats!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 5:04 PM, kokotg said:

Yeah, that vibe would be my fear with Colby and a lot of the NESCACs. Grinnell definitely seems like a better fit socially for DS (I'm sort of surprised Colby didn't think it wasn't a good fit, really; he wrote his common app essay about his D&D characters; his app definitely had nerd written all over it 😂)..

Ahem. Mystery solved about why he got into Colby. He got his acceptance packet with a lovely handwritten note from his admissions counselor about how "as a dungeon master myself" she loved his essay. heh. He got in because of the D&D essay and this one admissions counselor's quest to bring nerds to Colby. Or something like that. 

Despite the lovely note, I don't think Colby is making the short list, which is shaping up to be UGA, St. Olaf, Emory, and Amherst. It all comes down to the music for him, and now we've got two schools with BMs and then two non-BM schools that seem to really love musicians and have interesting offerings. The orchestra conductor at Amherst reached out to him with just the nicest e-mail ever, telling him about music at Amherst and saying nice things about his music supplement. Similarly great communication and enthusiasm from music faculty at Emory. Which is why I'm currently at a Best Western in Illinois on our way to go see...Grinnell. Hmm. We'll see. I should perhaps have waited a bit longer to plan this trip (we're seeing St. Olaf and Lawrence, too. And we needed to be in the midwest anyway for the eclipse). Admitted student day at Emory next week and then Amherst is flying him up the week after that.

Who else is still deciding?!

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, Eos said:

This is pretty great!

Yes! I was ready to book a flight and fretting about how expensive the whole thing would be (particularly since I'd need to take my 11 year old, too) when he noticed the offer in his portal. I don't get to see the Emily Dickinson museum myself this way, though 😞 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

We're still waiting to hear on honors scholarships from one college. His friend just heard yesterday. So today I asked if he had seen anything yet, and he (sarcastically) joked that the process was being held up by them passing around his essay and talking about how good it is. 🤣🤣(If you saw the essay prompt, you would understand just how much sarcasm was in this comment. This essay prompt was the worst.)  

How is everyone else doing??

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Hope he hears good news soon!

Mine is at Amherst right now for admitted student days. Right this second he's sitting in on an orchestra rehearsal. His Dad and I both really like Amherst for him, so fingers crossed he likes it for himself, too. To be fair, my entire in-person experience with it consists of a tour and info session with my oldest kid 6+ years ago. So far I've heard that the class he sat in on this morning was "okay," the assorted panels and tours were "fine. like all the other colleges" and his horn lesson was "good." 

• Like 7

My son committed to UCLA yesterday! Then he went and declined the rest of the schools he was accepted to.  Berkeley was the toughest to find the withdrawal button - we joked that they probably couldn't believe someone would be declining admission! The rest were much easier to find. 🙂 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

If you saw the essay prompt, you would understand just how much sarcasm was in this comment. This essay prompt was the worst.)  

Now I’m curious- what was the essay prompt?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom said:

My son committed to UCLA yesterday! Then he went and declined the rest of the schools he was accepted to.  Berkeley was the toughest to find the withdrawal button - we joked that they probably couldn't believe someone would be declining admission! The rest were much easier to find. 🙂 

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom said:

congratulations!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Porridge said:

It was just super generic and boring and long (lots of words). There are only so many ways you can say I think I would like to be in honors.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, cintinative said:

@kokotg for my boys "good" is often high praise.  LOL.

oh, it's pretty much his highest praise! At least over text. I'm very interested to hear the details get fleshed out when I talk to him in person tonight!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Late-breaking update! He's on the shuttle back to the airport now, and tells me that overall Amherst is "good 👍" !! Did not anticipate a thumbs-up level of gushing! Then he added mysteriously, "I can tell you more tonight." Well, yes, I would hope so. 

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

That sounds SO much like my first born.  Who is now chosing to live and work in his college city and still won't say he "likes" it.  It is "good" and "fine" though.  🤣

Waiting with bated breath on the update!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

Late-breaking update! He's on the shuttle back to the airport now, and tells me that overall Amherst is "good 👍" !! Did not anticipate a thumbs-up level of gushing! Then he added mysteriously, "I can tell you more tonight." Well, yes, I would hope so. 

Would it be okay if messaged you about music at Amherst? DS (piano, harp, conducting) is applying to college in the fall, and Amherst is on his list (sister went to Williams so this would be funny). He's probably majoring in a sciency thing but good music is a must. Older sibs applied with strong music and supplements and all, so I'm familiar with the general process, but none of them was interested in Amherst for music. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, saw said:

Would it be okay if messaged you about music at Amherst? DS (piano, harp, conducting) is applying to college in the fall, and Amherst is on his list (sister went to Williams so this would be funny). He's probably majoring in a sciency thing but good music is a must. Older sibs applied with strong music and supplements and all, so I'm familiar with the general process, but none of them was interested in Amherst for music. 

sure! And once I get that "more tonight" update from DS I should have more to tell you 🙂

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SanDiegoMom said:

Congrats!!!!!🎉 Almost all of my kids’ friends at UCLA turned down Berkeley. One even turned down a Regents there!? I went to Berkeley in the 90s and that would have been unheard of. The tide has definitely turned!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rzberrymom said:

Congrats!!!!!🎉 Almost all of my kids’ friends at UCLA turned down Berkeley. One even turned down a Regents there!? I went to Berkeley in the 90s and that would have been unheard of. The tide has definitely turned!!!

Yep!  Though if it had been my oldest, she probably would have gone even now if she had been accepted. But my son is a little more sheltered, wants to be closer to home, and likes the four year housing guarantee (even if we don’t end up using it, it’s nice to know it’s possible).  And Terence Tao is a big draw! 

• Like 3

On 4/18/2024 at 10:26 PM, Porridge said:

My daughter only applied to one honors program -- primarily because it was financially lucrative, and also because "this essay prompt doesn't suck". 😆

It was something about 'imagine a one of the following programs will be cut (basketball, theatre, or something else) -- state your case for keeping the program.' She was able to write about theatre, so she was happy. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MagistraKennedy said:

My daughter only applied to one honors program -- primarily because it was financially lucrative, and also because "this essay prompt doesn't suck". 😆

It was something about 'imagine a one of the following programs will be cut (basketball, theatre, or something else) -- state your case for keeping the program.' She was able to write about theatre, so she was happy. 

That is a non-sucky one! DS was always happy when he could use whatever the prompt was to write about music (once I suggested writing about the diversity/lack thereof in classical music for the now standard diversity prompt, things went a lot more smoothly)

• Like 5

Sounds like he had a very good visit: met a lot of current and prospective students, had a good horn lesson, sat in on an orchestra rehearsal and then hung out with orchestra kids after, thought the campus was lovely, took a selfie with the Robert Frost statue....I was hoping he would be ready to deposit and we'd be all done, but sounds like no. I guess all of my kids are determined to keep the suspense going until the last possible moment. He has nothing particularly negative to say about Amherst, but I think he's still a little hesitant about music there and giving up the idea of real music school. He said wistfully, "if only I could move the UGA music school to liberal arts college..." Unfortunately, that's pretty much Oberlin, but he didn't get into the conservatory there...(it's also sort of St. Olaf, but with some caveats).

• Like 8

How are we all doing? 

We're locked in, but I'm beginning to panic about the lack of information re: financial aid. I've gotten an email from student billing about how to set up my payment plan (who knows what the balance is?), and my husband got an email from FA about setting up a ZOOM call to discuss the financial aid packages. (that we haven't gotten) 

Is there a 'breathing into a paper bag' emoji? 

Our state flagship school sent out a letter shifting the deadline for decisions to May 15th. 

I'm still halfway tempted to have my daughter apply at the local community college -- at least we could cash flow that. 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, MagistraKennedy said:

I'm still halfway tempted to have my daughter apply at the local community college -- at least we could cash flow that. 

You have time to wait for your FA packet and still apply to the local CC if it's not enough. The turnaround was less than a week and I think that's pretty typical (obviously, check your local CC just in case). The only consideration that might make you want to apply earlier is if they have scholarships or limited slots in an honors college.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MagistraKennedy said:

How are we all doing? 

We're locked in, but I'm beginning to panic about the lack of information re: financial aid. I've gotten an email from student billing about how to set up my payment plan (who knows what the balance is?), and my husband got an email from FA about setting up a ZOOM call to discuss the financial aid packages. (that we haven't gotten) 

Is there a 'breathing into a paper bag' emoji? 

Our state flagship school sent out a letter shifting the deadline for decisions to May 15th. 

I would just call and talk to a real person. Might have to go up the chain a bit to get someone with experience and authority. Don’t settle for the first person if you don’t get answers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chiguirre said:

You have time to wait for your FA packet and still apply to the local CC if it's not enough. The turnaround was less than a week and I think that's pretty typical (obviously, check your local CC just in case). The only consideration that might make you want to apply earlier is if they have scholarships or limited slots in an honors college.

You're right --- our CC would be super quick.