Menu

Shedding commiseration?

Carrie12345

This season seems worse than when I last had two large dogs! Even my chi-mutt is leaving more hair on me than ever in his 8 years!

The GSD is getting moderate brushing most days, and full brush outs in days it isn’t raining. I vacuum the whole first floor daily and have to empty my Dyson before I’m done. I do the second floor 2-3x/wk because he isn’t up there much, and that more than fills it, too.

And of course you can’t tell 10 minutes later!

My washer and dryer hate me, and I’m sick of collecting all the hair out of them.

I’m generally not one to rush summer, but this is nuts. 

• Like 3

I feel your pain!

My white GSD is HUGE-- about 140 pounds (down from 150 in his younger years).

WHITE HAIR EVERYWHERE... we brush often and sweep/vacuum daily--  we also use a robot vac to assist...

Most of our house has tile floors--so the hair quickly builds up at baseboards.  10 minutes after you sweep it looks like you haven't touched them in years!

I think my cats are losing their entire body's worth of hair every day. One cat likes to drape herself crosswise across my chest and over my shoulder while I'm on my tablet. After she leaves, my tablet is coated in hair. It's terrible. I'll dust in the morning and by the time I go to bed everything has a layer of cat hair again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rebcoola said:

Yup our boxer is not bad but our Cane Corse whose coat is thicker more like a labs is sheddinga ton.  Even with daily brushing I moved her crate and found a huge amount of hair.

Ugh, yes! The crate is now in my room, but rarely gets used. Sam is on lots of rest today, and I already had a pile against the wall by mid-day!

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

Yes! I keep finding clumps of my dog's hair around the house, which is very unusual for her, especially since she is combed almost every day.

I love my ChomChom hair remover for quick pickups on the sofa and chairs. So much easier than the vacuum. I paid $24.95 for mine; it's on sale for Prime Day for $19.99. 

And it had a 20% coupon along with it! I can't wait for it to get here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MercyA said:

Yes! I keep finding clumps of my dog's hair around the house, which is very unusual for her, especially since she is combed almost every day.

I love my ChomChom hair remover for quick pickups on the sofa and chairs. So much easier than the vacuum. I paid $24.95 for mine; it's on sale for Prime Day for $19.99. 

I like my chom chom too, but is there a solution for getting the vacuuming to go better? I feel like my dog's hair has little hands that hang onto the cushions with a vengeance.  LOL

57 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I like my chom chom too, but is there a solution for getting the vacuuming to go better? I feel like my dog's hair has little hands that hang onto the cushions with a vengeance.  LOL

I know just what you mean! My grandma used to say that her beagle's hairs literally wove themselves into her sofa cushions (and she was a great housekeeper; it's just the nature of the fur!).

I don't know about the vacuuming. I feel like I have to go over and over some hairs. Probably if I had a power brush attachment (the kind that has a turning brush) it would help. I actually feel like my Chom Chom is faster. 

• Like 2

Almost all of my clothing is black or dark grey. My dog is a tan AST/GSD/Husky mix that sheds a handful of hair every time you pet her. I don't know that I have ever gone out of the house without tan hair all over my dark clothes even if I took it fresh out of the dryer and put it on right before walking out of the house. You can literally see hair flying off of her as she runs. She is brushed, we dust and vacuum and we never get rid of the hair. She has a short coat and I swear it is worse than when we had a golden retriever. At least his hair would sort of form tumbleweeds that you could kind of scoop up in your hand whereas her hair floats in the air and sticks to everything. When I dust my bookshelves I will get a small bunch off of even the top shelves. I have a small basket with my medicines in it that I keep on my bed which she does not go on at all and I have to clean the dog hair out of it once a week. My hubby and I have throws that we keep on our chairs that she doesn't touch and we still have to wash them once a week to get the dog hair out. It reminds me of the Doctor Suess story of the boy mowing the lawn while the grass grows up behind him. 

• Like 1

I have no less than 4 Eufy robovacs for this reason. 

There’s your Prime Day recommendation! 😉

We have 2 dogs and 3 cats. But we have adult children who regularly visit with Cardigan Corgis, German Shepherds, chihuahuas, etc. 

Its a battle. The Eufy vacs make a huge difference if I run them daily or at least every other day. It keeps the stray hairs from floating around and landing on furniture, etc. I’m a believer in robovacs. The more the merrier. I am satisfied with the 4 we currently own, but I wouldn’t be opposed to adding one more. 

Because we are an extremely pet friendly household due to fostering and all of that, we have done away with almost all carpeting. Even area rugs. It just so simplifies running the eufys. My floors have never been cleaner!

clarification: I regularly run 2 Eufy vacs most days followed by running one Eufy vac/mop combo. The fourth one is only for our upstairs bedrooms. So that’s 3 robovacs for 1700-1800 sq ft downstairs, but it’s not overkill imo. 

Priceless.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MercyA said:

I know just what you mean! My grandma used to say that her beagle's hairs literally wove themselves into her sofa cushions (and she was a great housekeeper; it's just the nature of the fur!).

I don't know about the vacuuming. I feel like I have to go over and over some hairs. Probably if I had a power brush attachment (the kind that has a turning brush) it would help. I actually feel like my Chom Chom is faster. 

We love and use Chomchom rollers here, too! Definitely another Prime Day worthwhile purchase if they’re on sale. 

I have experienced the pet fur weaving into my upholstery. Human hair, too, actually. I have found that our basic IKEA Ektorp upholstery is the most fur/hair resistant. Bonus that the cats don’t seem to want to use it as a scratching post! 

One day maybe I’ll have nicer stuff. 

Nah…I’d rather have cats and dogs. 🙂

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 2

I have a Eufy, too. Just 1 though! From October to almost June (that’s from 2-9/10ish months for Sam, plus the first few months of his brother’s life) it made a world of difference. Right now, not so much. 😞 

At this point, my couches mostly just get the regular vacuum run over them. It works perfectly for my cheap little loft couch and well for my living room sectional, but not the 3rd small couch. They’re all considered “microfiber” but all 3 are very different fabrics. The black one is almost like a fake suede, and it ”finds” all of the random white fluffs of a mostly black dog. 😝

• Like 1