Menu

Frying pans

Vida Winter

Hi all,

I haven't been here for a while (kids graduated), but I thought I could get some good input on this crucial subject. Which is the best small frying pan for cooking an omelet? Are nonstick pans as toxic as some say? If not nonstick, will anything else work? I'm not opposed to using butter but I don't have time to chisel the egg from the pan each day. I will probably purchase from Costco online if you want to look at my options.

I like ceramic nonstick. I have tried the $22 one from Walmart and the $250 one from Williams Sonoma and in this one instance the Walmart ones lasted longer. I toss them as soon as they get scratched. Get the large one with a lid and use spray avocado oil to make perfect omelets and frittatas. 

A cast iron pan is better in theory but in reality I can’t keep a good seasoning on them, probably because I don’t cook with much fat and my older kids abuse them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Welcome back!  

I would get a small cast iron pan. If you season it correctly, they are quite nonstick in practice. 

I cook eggs in a small cast iron skillet every day and it works very well. I just wipe it out with a damp cloth.

• Like 5

I cook eggs in my triple ply pans. I have Tramontina, but All Clad is the other major brand. I find they just need the slightest coating of oil. I either rub a tiny bit of butter on or spritz a tiny bit of oil. The pan often looks practically clean after I cook.

I don't trust the nonstick. Even if they're safe, they don't really hold up for years.

• Like 1

I prefer using my stainless steel pans (I don't trust non-stick at all). I don't really understand not using a stainless steel pan to cook eggs, I've never had issue cleaning a stainless steel pan from cooking eggs.

Some oil make sure it's hot before putting in the egg, don't touch too much. Then even when I mess up those steps I've never had to use elbow grease to clean a pan I've used for eggs. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I haven't tried Caraway, but many people in my WFPB groups have their pans and rave about them. Their ads keep popping up in my Facebook feed and their cookware and bakeware is gorgeous! Scan Pan is another brand I see mentioned all the time that people really love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Welcome back!  

I would get a small cast iron pan. If you season it correctly, they are quite nonstick in practice. 

I think, no matter what this will be part of what I purchase, probably pre-owned so I won't have to season it. I have a huge cast-iron pan that is almost too heavy to lift, but I like it for some things!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clarita said:

I prefer using my stainless steel pans (I don't trust non-stick at all). I don't really understand not using a stainless steel pan to cook eggs, I've never had issue cleaning a stainless steel pan from cooking eggs.

Some oil make sure it's hot before putting in the egg, don't touch too much. Then even when I mess up those steps I've never had to use elbow grease to clean a pan I've used for eggs. 

Is there a particular brand of stainless steel pan that works for you?

Le Creuset enameled cast iron. I have the 13”, and it is perfect (perfect and heavy, though). I don’t think non stick is a good choice, as it pertains to toxicity. However, I cook eggs only in the Le Creuset, and they don’t stick.  Previously, I used All Clad stainless steel, and for whatever reason it was always a pain to clean off eggs, it drove me nuts.

• Like 1

I have Tramontina and All Clad tri-ply and can't tell the difference between them.  I like the Tramontina slightly better because the handle is more comfortable, IMO. 

I don't trust non-stick pans; Teflon off-gassing will kill pet birds. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that repeated exposure over time to Teflon gases is bad for humans, too. 

Edited by Shoeless
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ArteHaus said:

Le Creuset enameled cast iron. I have the 13”, and it is perfect (perfect and heavy, though). I don’t think non stick is a good choice, as it pertains to toxicity. However, I cook eggs only in the Le Creuset, and they don’t stick.  Previously, I used All Clad stainless steel, and for whatever reason it was always a pain to clean off eggs, it drove me nuts.

I have a Le Creuset pot, and will try it out for eggs to test the surface. I also have an All-Clad pan which is hard to clean - I have to soak it and use baking soda or Bar Keeper's Friend to get it looking nice. I do love these two though, and would spend the $$ if I find they work with omelets, but I have a feeling I may need a nonstick just for the omelet pan.

13 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

For an omelet?  - All-clad D5 nonstick.  With a domed lid.   It's a whole new level of cooking.

all-clad factory is currently having a seconds sale.

I'll search for this -- I have a large All-clad copper bottom pan which is a pain to clean but I love it and use it often. Every single pot and pan I own is from a different manufacturer. Kind of like the way I used to pick curriculum, lol.

20 hours ago, Katy said:

I like ceramic nonstick. I have tried the $22 one from Walmart and the $250 one from Williams Sonoma and in this one instance the Walmart ones lasted longer. I toss them as soon as they get scratched. Get the large one with a lid and use spray avocado oil to make perfect omelets and frittatas. 

A cast iron pan is better in theory but in reality I can’t keep a good seasoning on them, probably because I don’t cook with much fat and my older kids abuse them. 

I splurged and got some pot holders and towels from Williams Sonoma and they fell apart so fast. I likely will not shop there again. They seem to be overpriced cheap stuff. 

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

I splurged and got some pot holders and towels from Williams Sonoma and they fell apart so fast. I likely will not shop there again. They seem to be overpriced cheap stuff. 

I don’t think everything from there is low quality, but some things definitely are.