Menu

College Class of 2027 - Rising Sophomores - Check in Here

mlktwins

2 hours ago, freesia said:

I don’t know. I thinks it’s bad, too. I know it’s not the only school that does this. I think some arrangement is made for the international students. 

I was one of those kids. Mostly other kids families sheltered me. I spent all my breaks sleeping on people’s floors in sleeping bags. Everybody was very welcoming. I am forever grateful. Told my DS not to come home without a homeless international student so I can repay kindness. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

It is a 7 hour drive for us one way so we would have to plan for hotel if my husband doesn’t want to drive back the same day. 

9 hrs for us. I expect her roomie (should they get along) will be good for short breaks but...yikes...why do schools still do this? I didn't 'go home'/see my mom for over a year at the end of my undergrad career.

28 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

9 hrs for us. I expect her roomie (should they get along) will be good for short breaks but...yikes...why do schools still do this? I didn't 'go home'/see my mom for over a year at the end of my undergrad career.

For the freshmen, the college housing contract puts it as security reason. Maybe because most of the bedrooms are triple share or twin share. For sophomore and up, majority have their own bedroom in a suite with very few students sharing a bedroom in a twin share room.

ETA: only freshmen have to leave during winter break.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

For the freshmen, the college housing contract puts it as security reason. Maybe because most of the bedrooms are triple share or twin share. For sophomore and up, majority have their own bedroom in a suite with very few students sharing a bedroom in a twin share room.

ETA: only freshmen have to leave during winter break.

It’s not security at ds’s school bc they can stay over October break. 

Eta: My guess is staffing the dorms. 

Edited by freesia
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I was one of those kids. Mostly other kids families sheltered me. I spent all my breaks sleeping on people’s floors in sleeping bags. Everybody was very welcoming. I am forever grateful. Told my DS not to come home without a homeless international student so I can repay kindness. 

I was, too. I spent Thanksgiving with a friend one year and found a ride to my Aunt and Uncle who lived two hours away the other years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gstharr said:

I was just about to order a top and bottom set from Amazon for $22. A four pack for $10. Anybody know if there is still a sale at Costco or Sam's. Thanks

The Costco sale is until August 2nd.  Target also has twin XL set for $7.60

”Microfiber sheet set Includes 1 fitted sheet, 1 flat sheet and pillowcase(s)

STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® certified”

https://www.target.com/p/twin-twin-xl-microfiber-sheet-set-white-room-essentials-8482/-/A-53116498

18 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The Costco sale is until August 2nd.  Target also has twin XL set for $7.60

”Microfiber sheet set Includes 1 fitted sheet, 1 flat sheet and pillowcase(s)

STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® certified”

https://www.target.com/p/twin-twin-xl-microfiber-sheet-set-white-room-essentials-8482/-/A-53116498

Thank you

Heading out to target

Just got back form Target. They are marking down bedding by 20%.  after discount, I picked up Room Essential label for:

Twin xlt sheets 3 piece set at $7.60

twin xlt comforter                   16.00

four piece towel set                 8.00

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gstharr said:

Just got back form Target. They are marking down bedding by 20%.  after discount, I picked up Room Essential label for:

There is still the Target 5% member discount and 5 or 10 cents bring your own bag discount.

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Anyone find all cotton sheets on sale? We find the microfiber doesn’t breathe well and are hot.

Target has a few all cotton sheet sets on sale

Twin/Twin XL 100% Cotton Sheet Set - Room Essentials™ $17.60

”Sheet set includes 1 fitted sheet, 1 flat sheet and matching pillowcase

Made from 100% cotton

Fitted sheet fits mattresses up to 16in deep

Solid hues and prints

STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX certified”

https://www.target.com/p/twin-twin-xl-100-cotton-sheet-set-room-essentials/-/A-87196222

400 Thread Count Solid Performance Sheet Set - Threshold™  $28

“Made with 100% cotton with 400 thread count

Top and bottom labels for easy placement

Patented fit technology stays in place and fits mattresses up to 18"

Fitted sheet includes full perimeter elastic to stay secure to your mattress

Wrinkle-, pill- and shrink-resistant for easy care”

https://www.target.com/p/400-thread-count-solid-performance-sheet-set-threshold-153/-/A-51846287

• Thanks 1

@ScoutTN my kid is scared of cold but I might get this for him for spring/summer as he likes sateen. Less abrasive for his sensitive skin. There is still stock for the gray one

https://www.target.com/p/twin-twin-xl-400-thread-count-performance-fitted-sheet-classic-gray-threshold-8482/-/A-83724794

“400 Thread Count Performance Fitted Sheet - Threshold™ $14.40

Fitted sheet includes full perimeter elastic to stay secure to your mattress

Sateen fabric with 400-thread count adds soft shine and feel to your bedding ensemble

100% cotton offers year-round breathable comfort

Fits mattresses up to 18in deep

Machine-washable for easy care and maintenance

Made in Green by OEKO-TEX®“

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gstharr said:

Only what Dd considers ugly colors left at my Target. 🙄 And only microfiber. May order online, there or Amazon. Really need to wait til she’s home anyway. Everything last minute. Joy. 😐

Edited by ScoutTN

9 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Only what Dd considers ugly colors left at my Target. 🙄 And only microfiber. May order online, there or Amazon. Really need to wait til she’s home anyway. Everything last minute. Joy. 😐

There is a high chance Target would restock as it is kind of their back to college sales. My kid is ok with plain gray or plain navy so he is easier to buy for. 

• Like 1

While ODD was 7 hours away, her roommate was about half-way.  She would ride with roommate and we would pick her up for the holiday, then drive her back when it was time to go back.  It worked great for both of them.  The school also has an online ride-share group you can join.  Maybe your school has something similar?  

My incoming Freshman will only be 2 hours from home so she can drive herself as long as her car hold up!  

‐‐---------------------------------------------

I think we have most of the decor either here or figured out.  The one thing I'm not sure on is what to put by the mini-fridge.  Its going at the end of the bed, but I can't tell how much room there will be!  Options I'm considering- currently shelves on either side,  bakers rack, or maybe a hutch or bookshelf.  It would be great if something I already have fits there!  

• Like 3

Dd tried to book a physical and none of the docs, FNPs, or PAs have an open appointment til January.  They've seen this child since she was born.  We live where millions of visitors travel every year but we have terrible health care options.  I'm going with her to the doc-in-the-box half an hour away today. 

Cranky.  

Edited by Eos
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@freesia for FERPA, I have my pin and the pass phrase. So is the pin for the webpage and pass phrase for if I need to call? All I want is the ability to see and pay school and housing bills but he checked everything.

That’s my understanding. This is the first time I’ve had a pass phrase like that. I’ve signed in already to view the bill although there isn’t one yet. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eos said:

Dd tried to book a physical and none of the docs, FNPs, or PAs have an open appointment til January.  They've seen this child since she was born.  We live where millions of visitors travel every year but we have terrible health care options.  I'm going with her to the doc-in-the-box half an hour away today. 

Cranky.  

That’s awful! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eos said:

Dd tried to book a physical and none of the docs, FNPs, or PAs have an open appointment til January.

When I booked on May 9 after my doctor’s appointment, the receptionist told me that there were no available slots until January at the location my primary care practitioner is in. I told her that my kid need a slot before September so she found one with a nurse practitioner for this month. I am not surprised though since many booked the annual well child checkups well in advance. We would have to use a family practitioner we went to for USCIS paperwork if we didn’t get that slot since that was the only slot before September. 

• Thanks 1

If anyone else is a huge homeschool slacker like me, common app is shutting down for this year's cohort on July 26.  I just submitted final transcript today. We had to get 2 different DE transcripts to finish up and calculate final GPA, but I was definitely procrastinating.  I'm sure they care a lot more about the official DE transcripts they already have than mine, but jumped the hoop.  Feeling SO happy to be done with all that tedious documentation.  🥳

• Like 7

Yes. Only two days a week of an 8:00 class, but his Friday is completely packed which seems odd to me. 

( I have seen his schedule bc if printed when I printed the tuition bill). He has not seen it. It came nine days ago. He didn’t look and when I asked he said that so only wanted him to look bc I was curious. I am so ready for this child to fly off and be the independent soul he yearns to be. I’m love him but know that he is done being mothered all the time. )

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, freesia said:

Wow! I thought an August 18 start was early!

She moves in on the 10th, but classes don’t start for a week. Loads of freshman stuff - social things, opportunities to explore campus and ECs. Walk their schedule, figure out parking etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freesia said:

Yes. Only two days a week of an 8:00 class, but his Friday is completely packed which seems odd to me. 

( I have seen his schedule bc if printed when I printed the tuition bill). He has not seen it. It came nine days ago. He didn’t look and when I asked he said that so only wanted him to look bc I was curious. I am so ready for this child to fly off and be the independent soul he yearns to be. I’m love him but know that he is done being mothered all the time. )

Yeah... my DD asked for my input because her college advisor asked her if she thought a 13hr day was doable for her. Thankfully, she's naturally a pretty organized and efficient worker and learner.

• Like 3

We are heading to orientation/registration for three days next week. DS said he can’t wait! Lots of excitement here on his part. 
Still a long list of things to sort out including immunizations and shopping, but his term doesn’t start until end of September so we have a lot of time. 

• Like 4

@ScoutTN@Eos we have a not good experience yesterday at the doctor’s visit for DS18. 
The nurse practitioner keep pushing for him to do all the vaccinations yesterday despite us telling her repeatedly that we only wanted the meningococcal ACWY and the TDAP done.

Then she asked about which gender he prefers if dating and my kid was replying not interested in dating and she kept asking again and again until she just put undecided as his reply 🤦‍♀️ 

When I checked his records hours later, meningococcal was in but not TDAP. This morning, TDAP was still not in despite a staff reply confirming that meningococcal and TDAP were administered. Instead whoever did the data entry put down Gardisil which kid did not ask for nor consent for. 
It is a good thing he gave me full access permission to his health records and I was in the room with him for the appointment. 

ETA:

Tdap is now in but Gardasil is still in. He only had two vaccinations and the nurse told him the side effects for Meningococcal ACWY before administering the jab. His visit notes stated he had Meningococcal, Gardisil and Tdap.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 7

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

@Arcadia Yikes, that sounds terrible. Glad you are on it and paying attention! We left our peds practice bc of the invasive personal questions. Both my kids have made do with urgent care/doc in a box for two years. 

They corrected his records. I did say I would lodge a case if his records were not corrected. The last time my DS18 visited a general practitioner was in 2009 for his public school kindergarten form. My general practitioner is okay and in another location, that location did not have any openings for appointments until next year.  

• Like 3

So we waved a Covid booster. He need’s meningococcal and flue one only. I hope they can be done on the same day because we have to drive almost 1.5 hours each way to reach out clinic due to our wonderful insurance coverage. And mine needs a tb test for some bizarre reason. I hope that doesn’t mean I need to make 3 hour round trip two days in a row and it can be checked online. 😤

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

And mine needs a tb test for some bizarre reason. I hope that doesn’t mean I need to make 3 hour round trip two days in a row and it can be checked online.

Ask for the TB blood test. If they collect bloodwork at the clinic you are going to, he can get his blood draw for the TB test before or after the vaccination. My kid has the BCG vaccination so that flag him for TB test. The clinic we went to don’t do blood draw (thank goodness 🤦‍♀️) so we are going to the lab tomorrow for DS18’s bloodwork. He is using the same blood draw for cholesterol, thyroid, iron, complete blood count, comprehensive metabolic panel for well child/adult checkup at the same time. 

• Like 2

@ScoutTN the NP ordered 7 blood tests but did not order the TB test for DS18. Luckily the walk in clinic down the road offers walk in TB skin prick test. He and my husband had three negative TB skin prick tests each despite the BCG jab. So we can get the TB test done next week. 

• Like 3

Orientation starts August 21st. We are planning logistics of his cross county move.  Determined that we can avoid oversized baggage fees ($175) by packing golf clubs separately from bag, will count as two regular checked bags.  Went through all options for a bike on campus.  Found a bike shipper that will do it for $80.  Still cheaper than buying local, plus he will have a really good bike, and I clear a little garage space.  Bought a excellent used down puffer jacket on ebay.  We still have four checked bags, and 3 carry-ons to to coordinate. We two heavy duty boxes that we can use for fans, heater, printer, and school supplies.

• Like 3

On 7/21/2023 at 6:47 PM, Roadrunner said:

So we waved a Covid booster. He need’s meningococcal and flue one only.

My kid kindly informed me that the Covid booster and flu shot is no longer required and is recommended instead. He showed me his UC’s health portal.

• Like 1

Dd’s roommate made contact!  She has a fridge and a microwave, so we don’t have to buy them. She lives about 45 minutes from us and they share some interests. 

Dd has started a master list of what she wants to take, divided into two columns, we have/need to buy. Since there is a Walmart in her college town and Amazon is a thing and dorm rooms are small, she will not need stockpile anything. Hoping to place one Amazon order Wed and another Monday (after orientation) and be mostly done.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

DD took classes at ASU and a local college.  The ASU transcript didn't make it to her new student portal for some reason.  I started her with a few phone numbers to try and she was able to get it straightened out herself- I told her she's the adult now and has to be the one to deal with things like this.  Took her 3 phone calls and talking to both schools.  She learned to take note of who you speak to and get their extention 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

The ASU transcript didn't make it to her new student portal for some reason. 

DS18 sent his community college transcript through Parchment. He emailed admin when his student portal wasn’t updated attaching the order receipt from Parchment to his email. They told him that they have a large backlog to upload into the student portals. His academic advisor accepted his official copy from Parchment instead of waiting for Admin to finish updating all the incoming students’ records. 

Edited by Arcadia
Clarification
  • Like 3

Dd and I went to orientation yesterday and today. Feeling good about things. Got loads of useful info, resolved a few glitches, targeted a few things we still need to work on before she moves in. 13 days! 😱😱😱 😱😱

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 8

It's almost time to move in!  We have been looking at textbooks, making lists of the little stuff she still needs, and trying to fit in one last family vacation.  She went to print out the schedule details yesterday and noticed the A&P professor had changed.  There had been 3 options and she went with the 8AM due to reviews of that professor.  She looked to see if other sections were available and now it's 2 different professors teaching the class- the original ones aren't even listed anymore.  This new one has reviews from 2 other colleges that aren't bad, but they are for a different class.  

• Like 3

I've booked us a room for Orientation, she's done an online pre-orientation questionnaire and after this busy week we'll focus on gathering stuff.  Bought her a new phone last night which was a big deal and very much needed.

@ScoutTN  Love that you're feeling good about it!

• Like 3

My incoming freshman has been having a great time as his last summer being a kid.  He went to a Christian youth camp for a week, music camp for a week, and vacation to his favorite place in the world with his cousins for two weeks.  Now we have two weeks before he leaves for college eight hours away.  Weep, weep. 

• Like 6

We just moved states so we haven’t been thinking much about college. He did order books. I need to get my brain in gear. Seriously I just figured out there was a parent Facebook page. I have already sent TWO kids to college and am on the parent page. It actually never crossed my mind to look lol. Poor third child! Luckily he likes me to leave him alone. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Dd has figured out the parking sticker and has her books in the cart. This weekend is look-at-the-bill-closely time, one more time, before we pay. 

The pile on the LR sofa is growing! 

Oh, we did pay for the first semester. That’s a start. And I found the box I labeled as things he needs to bring with him. I’ve been so distracted it’s hard to think it’s just two weeks!

• Like 3