Menu

Shout out to all AG families

saraha

51 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Thank you.  We're finally getting rain.  Equipment breakdowns have been rough.  Exhaustion is real.

True story, we waited over a week for a ball bearing. 

Edited by saraha
  • Sad 3

We got a little rain last week, enough that they lifted the backyard grilling ban, and ban on mowers and chainsaws because of worrying about sparks. But they are already issuing the ban again. It just wasn't enough, and we are going to have full sun 80-90°F all week long.

I am not an AG family. We are just alive gardeners this year, and thankful we have very deep well, and can irrigate our garden without stressing water supplies. We don't have to use a lot of water to do this because we did hugelkulture in the raised beds so the rotting logs and leaves in the bottom really help provide moisture to plant roots. I worry so much about our local farmers, especially those growing food for humans and nor corn for the ethanol plant. I worry about my very favorite farmer. He and his family are so proud of their very diversified, no monsanto, heritage seed farm. They can irrigate some. He has his pumpkin patch and his vegetable field covered in agricultural fabric with drip lines underneath. He has a creek and a pond for irrigation. But neither of those sources are going to remain in stressed causing water rationing unless we get some serious rain soon. His oldest daughter, an absolutely delightful child that I love to talk to, had planted an entire acre all on her own of zinnias, dahlias, peonies, and several other varieties for making bouquets to sell. She saves 75% of what she makes in order to help fund college - at this time in life, she wants to become a botanist. She spends 25%, and often of that, she donates to good causes. She is literally one of the best human beings I know, and gives me hope that Gen Alpha is going to make a major, positive difference in our world. If her flowers become stressed, and she loses her enterprise, I am going to be heartsick.

So ya...every good thought I have to our AG families, and please, Mother Nature, produce rain, a substantial but not dangerous amount of rain!

• Like 3

Since my dad has passed, we are no longer part of the active farming community. But, I remember all too well the equipment break-downs and weather woes. This spring we were too wet in our area so seeding was delayed and our short growing season got even shorter. 

I'm sending all the Ag families all the vibes for all the good things they need. Rain, sun, equipment that works, and time to rest. 

• Sad 1

So far the spring hay crops was excellent. Here’s hoping for enough rain at the right time for the summer cutting to be good. So far so good. Last summer was terrible! My dh has taken to buying common tractor parts ahead of time so he always has a spare. Can’t do it for everything, but it’s nice to have extra mower blades and rake times stashed back to avoid last minute dashes to coop.

• Like 2

Prices for parts make me gasp almost every time.  That's even IF you can find the part.  I am thankful for a machine shop that has made parts for us.  It continues to be a challenge to find parts.  You can try to stock gobs of parts but sometimes it's just not realistic.  Who has funds to stock every part you might need on every piece of equipment? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Meriwether said:

My dad had to replace a dipstick for one of his tractors. $60.50.

52 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Prices for parts make me gasp almost every time.  That's even IF you can find the part.  I am thankful for a machine shop that has made parts for us.  It continues to be a challenge to find parts.  You can try to stock gobs of parts but sometimes it's just not realistic.  Who has funds to stock every part you might need on every piece of equipment? 

My dh lost a fuel cap off one of the tractors. I hesitate to price that. He’s done it before and it was $35. Thankfully he had a spare but still…

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 8:34 PM, pitterpatter said:

And, here I thought this thread was going to be about American Girl dolls. Lol. ☺️

That is all. Carry on.

That's ok, I thought it was a thread for those in the Assemblies of God denomination.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3