Menu

Are you giving your letter carrier or other service worker a gift?

Just wanted to say that if you thinking of giving your letter carrier/service-worker-of-any-kind a gift please know that it will be greatly appreciated. My dh came home this evening after being out in the rain all day delivering many cards and parcels. He is sick and very exhausted. He asked me to make him a cup of hot tea and I also served him a thick slice of banana bread he received as a gift yesterday. He was so delighted with the bread - just what a tired ol' mailman needed at the end of a long, cold day.

Just thought you'd want to know.:)

Really? Do you think most people would eat a foodie gift? I've heard so many people say they wouldn't touch a gift of food, but then others welcome it. I just never know.

We do give our mail lady a gift card every year. This year she's getting a Starbucks card. I'll have to think about the food thing too...

I'm glad your DH is feeling appreciated :001_smile:

Shoot. I didn't know I was allowed to give my mail carrier a food gift. He's our hero. Though, it's been in the 20s here this week, and he's still wearing shorts. I'd love to give the man some pants. ;)

What gifts are appropriate?

Fast food gift cards are great as these guys are always on a tight schedule. Starbucks gift cards are a nice idea. Any gift card really. We eat all the chocolate, candy, cookies and other food gifts - people are so kind and thoughtful. The folks often come to the truck and hand deliver it apologizing that it isn't wrapped. :) Money is always appreciated, of course, and is winked at by the supervisors - nothing bad has ever happened when my dh has accepted money.

It really is the thought that counts. My dh is always very touched that people take the time to remember him no matter what they give him.

Yes, I plan on giving him $50. He's fabulous -- he hand-delivers all of my packages.

Yes, I know it's against the law, but good grief.

Ours too, and she's always SO nice to the kids--makes a big deal out of them, is always happy to see them and talk to them, gives them the mail to take to me and makes sure she splits it evenly, etc. I'd love to give her cash, but I'd be afraid she wouldn't accept it, or would feel put in a bad spot. Actually, now that I think about it, I think she may have returned a cash gift that we gave her a long time ago! I think that's how the gift cards got started. That rule is such a bummer.

I've been considering getting something for the garbage guys. I have never seen them because they come super early but they are always great about taking everything away- especially considering all our renovation junk that we've stuck out there. I figure, if they were grumbling about taking away a few extra things, this would be a nice way to thank them.- and make sure they keep taking it away next year.;)

I was leaning towards either Starbucks gift cards for $10 each or maybe a couple of boxes of chocolates.

Anybody else ever leave things for their garbage men?:bigear:

I have never seen my mail delivery person. Our mail gets delivered to postal boxes waaaaaay down the street. I wouldn't even know where or how to leave something for them.

I've been considering getting something for the garbage guys. I have never seen them because they come super early but they are always great about taking everything away- especially considering all our renovation junk that we've stuck out there. I figure, if they were grumbling about taking away a few extra things, this would be a nice way to thank them.- and make sure they keep taking it away next year.;)

I was leaning towards either Starbucks gift cards for $10 each or maybe a couple of boxes of chocolates.

Anybody else ever leave things for their garbage men?:bigear:

I have never seen my mail delivery person. Our mail gets delivered to postal boxes waaaaaay down the street. I wouldn't even know where or how to leave something for them.

My mail gets delivered to cluster boxes about 1/2 mile from my house. I just put the gift in my mailbox and my carrier takes it out when she delivers our mail. I gave her a stationery set last year with some notepaper, a shopping list pad and a matching pen. This year I think it will be cookies.

I have to say I think our mail lady is awesome. She picks up sometimes 10 or more boxes from me a day. We live in South Texas and I know it is extremely hot for her in the summer.

I gave my mail lady a loaf of Velveeta Cheese and a gift card to Walmart. The cheese was for a laugh because we ran into each other in the store, and she put it back because it had went up $2.00. :D The gift card was because I wanted her to know she was really appreciated.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think she may have returned a cash gift that we gave her a long time ago!

Yes, I mentioned this to my mail carrier, told him I had no problems giving him cash and that if it was a problem with him due to the legality thing, I wouldn't. He said it was fine. I didn't want to be a stumbling block or anything, but I really don't think my cash gift is gong to tempt him into doing anything unethical. LOL

He goes above and beyond. He even searched the post office for a present two days before Christmas that had come from Amazon and seemed to be stuck at our post office. He called me saying he could bring it back by that evening if I wanted, if not he would deliver it the next day. How cool is that?

I usually give our carrier homemade candy. I asked her several years ago if she was allowed to accept things like that and she replied with an enthusiastic "YES!", so I took that to mean that she'd appreciate it!

We also take her popsicles or juice bars in the summer when we can catch her going by.

Chelle

I gave ours a gift card to Duncan Donuts. My brother is a letter carrier, but he isn't officially on 'full time', yet he has worked full time for a couple of years now. Last year I asked if he was getting a bunch of gifts, and he said that he hadn't got any since he filled in for other people's routes. So now I don't feel so bad is a 'sub' gets the gift I leave in our box.

Yes. Every year we do a gift card or a plate of cookies or something like that. We love our mail carrier! He's friendly and always says hi to our kids. One year, my ds left him a note that said, "What's your favorite animal?" David, our mail carrier, wrote his answer and drew a picture, too, and put it back in our mailbox. LOL There is a special needs kids (I think he has Tourettes) and this kid follows him around, usually *yelling* everything instead of using a regular volume, hehe, and David let's him tag along and never brushes him off.

IF you get a good mail carrier, and even a mediocre one, I think they deserve a little something special at the holidays. Don't we all? :)

I think maybe I will get my mail carrier some glasses.

We get mail delivered in a cluster of mailboxes at the end of our street. At least weekly (and usually daily) I get mail for my neighbors in my box - and likewise my neighbors do as well. It is like musical mail around here on at least a weekly basis.

I suspect that our rural route carrier has an enormous route and tries to get done as quickly as possible. He is not particularly detail oriented.

I admit I am somewhat jealous of all the great mail carrier stories.

We get mail delivered in a cluster of mailboxes at the end of our street. At least weekly (and usually daily) I get mail for my neighbors in my box - and likewise my neighbors do as well. It is like musical mail around here on at least a weekly basis.

I suspect that our rural route carrier has an enormous route and tries to get done as quickly as possible. He is not particularly detail oriented.

Tell me about it! I have gone round and round with the less-than-stellar rural route delivery persons. Apparently, doing their work and doing it well isn't part of their job requirement.:glare:

I've been wondering what to do for our mail carrier. I was thinking of putting $20.00 cash in his christmas card?

what do you think? Too much, too little, too impersonal?

Sounds fine - like you took the time to show some appreciation. Even $5 or $10 is plenty because it truly is the thought that counts. Honest.

I wonder if it is a rural route thing? My parents, who have a regularly employed USPS carrier have the best service. I'd certainly give that guy some $$.

I am so frustrated with ours. I rather automatically opened a piece of mail that was put in my mail box recently. Imagine my excitement when I saw it was a $2000 check...made out to my neighbor. Darn. I tracked down the neighbor, apologized profusely for inadvertantly opening their mail.

I wonder how many of my checks have been opened and discarded by the neighbors?

Yes, I plan on giving him $50. He's fabulous -- he hand-delivers all of my packages.

Wow! He must be fabulous.

I'm not even sure who our regular mail carrier is (I've seen couple different men and a woman, all from a distance) and never had any conversation with them. No complaints.

My dad wasn't a mail carrier but a window clerk and worked long, long hours over the holidays. Many people would bring him gifts - usually baked goods - that he would bring home to the family. It's very thoughtful.

Janet

We gave our mailman a box of the BEST chocolate fudge today. Our postman is great. He has been with our neighborhood for years and is the nicest guy. I'm sure he gets a lot of gifts from the neighbors. Every year we like to give him something special because we appreciate the hard job he does...all those school supplies he walks up to our door are heavy. :)

He must be related to the guy who delivers around here. Recently I got a package from a make-up place. I don't wear make-up. I took it two doors down to the neighbor it belonged to. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when she in turn handed me my package from Amazon with my son's new vocabulary book.

The garbage man however is great. Quick, efficient and friendly in the few instances I was awake early enough in the morning to see him. He left a homemade (computer generated) card last week. I'm planning on getting him a gift card for Dunkin' Donuts.

We get a different one every few weeks. They seem to be rotating the gender, ethnicity and age every few weeks. During the Thanksgiving period, we had the young Chinese guy, now it is the elderly black guy, then we have the middle age white lady, the white young hunk always in shorts, and there is the Indian middle age man. I think I have probably missed a few.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nestof3 viewpost.gif

Wow! He must be fabulous.

Yep.

On a similar note, my husband gets various gifts from his customers (he maintains lawns), and we appreciate everything from the homemade cookies to the money. Last Christmas, we were actually given enough to almost pay for our entire Christmas shopping, and we got a few handmade treats. My husband works for some very wealthy people though -- several actually give us $100. :)

So, I really feel like the mailman who comes every day should be rewarded. We also give our employees bonuses. Our part-timer who's only worked two months is getting $100 in Bass Pro Shops gift cards, and our son is getting $200 worth of Wawa gift cards (for gas).

We really feel like we should bless others as we have been blessed.

I'm actually jealous of any mail carrier story. We have received one catalog (Sonlight) in the almost 2 years we've lived here. But no-one in Mexico uses the mail. Even bills are hand delivered. Early this year the president put on a huge campaign that the mail service would actually begin to function but I don't think anyone is using it. It has been so long that it has been corrupt and nonworking that it is impossible to think it could work.

But the concept of receiving mail is very attractive!