Menu

Homeschooling High School without Outsourcing - How Do I Not Go Crazy?!

We plan to homeschool through high school, and outsourcing just isn't an option for a variety of reasons.

To start, our internet will not support streaming, so that's out. The "local" community college is about an hour and a half away, but they charge full tuition (about $300 per credit) for homeschoolers, so it's not really a viable option right now anyway. Also, the dual enrollment options at the local high school are... lacking. For example, in DE College Composition, last year they watched a cartoon version of Beowulf, read an abridged version of the Odyssey, and read a modern English version of Macbeth. They didn't write a single paper. In the past five year, they haven't done any labs in DE Biology. DE Spanish is taught over a TV to all four high schools in the county, so there is no real conversation practice or anything like that. They offer no other languages. The only "co-op" is ran through the local library, and, well, I know the people who work there. They're all anti-homeschooling and only offer the program because of a grant they received; they don't put any effort into it. 

I point all of this out to make it clear that we have to do it all ourselves. I know I'm not the best at everything, but I also know my kids can read, write, and divide decimals without a calculator, so I can at least say we're beating the local public schools. :/

The kids both do martial arts, and Youth Group. My dd does two days of ballet each week, and my ds does two days of gymnastics, so we have a decent handle on time with peers.  I hope, at least.

To be honest, I'm not sure with what I need help. How do we not get in a rut in our conversations about history and literature? How do I teach/support them in upper level math and science? How do I avoid burnout? How do I not create kids that are totally dependent on me? 

Any advice is appreciated. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Yes, you can do this old-school style!  I tend to get used textbooks from Amazon.  Read it myself and teach it.  If you need help with math, there are different providers that have CDs, or USBs.  

It sounds like you've got some extra curricular activities,  so thats good.  I'd encourage a job or volunteering, too.  

• Like 4

Thank you so much for the advice! 

It seems like everyone outsources so much, and it's a little disheartening. There are a few threads here about it, but quite a few of the responses are more about making outsourcing a possibility, not homeschooling without outsourcing. Really, just, thank you for giving me answers I can use. 

Volunteering is an option I'll look into now, but a job will have to wait until they're sixteen for legal reasons. đŸ˜•Â 

• Like 1

For resources that are not mom-dependent, and provide support beyond a textbook or workbook, you could consider Easy-Peasy high school, or an old-fashioned correspondence school, or curriculum that utilizes video CDs, or hiring a tutor. Great Courses are great, and come on CDs.

Do you have any other local homeschoolers that  would be interested in starting a literature class/club?

It really helps if the student has some self-drive when it comes to homeschooling high school, and kids can really vary on this point. And I agree with you about being dependent on mom (assuming you are the mom here). I've found it's not developmentally or relationally healthy for mom to be overseeing/enforcing every last thing throughout high school, especially for boys. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, birchbark said:

For resources that are not mom-dependent, and provide support beyond a textbook or workbook, you could consider Easy-Peasy high school, or an old-fashioned correspondence school, or curriculum that utilizes video CDs, or hiring a tutor. Great Courses are great, and come on CDs.

Do you have any other local homeschoolers that  would be interested in starting a literature class/club?

It really helps if the student has some self-drive when it comes to homeschooling high school, and kids can really vary on this point. And I agree with you about being dependent on mom (assuming you are the mom here). I've found it's not developmentally or relationally healthy for mom to be overseeing/enforcing every last thing throughout high school, especially for boys. 

Thank you for the suggestions.  I had a longer response, but it was eaten.

I will look into some of the curricula that use CDs and Easy-Peasy. We're looking into the VideoText DVDs, but that will only get us so far, and the trig unit is entirely online. đŸ˜•

Tutors aren't an option. I could list reasons, but suffice to say, I meant it when I said that we must do it ourselves. 

Yes, I'm the mom. My dh tries to be involved in our homeschooling, but his work schedule really doesn't allow for the consistency of him taking the reins on any subjects. 

I hope this didn't come across as rude or unappreciative of your advice. I really do appreciate it. 

I forgot to quote your post in my original reply, so I don't know if you saw it. Sorry!

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

Yes, you can do this old-school style!  I tend to get used textbooks from Amazon.  Read it myself and teach it.  If you need help with math, there are different providers that have CDs, or USBs.  

It sounds like you've got some extra curricular activities,  so thats good.  I'd encourage a job or volunteering, too.  

Thank you so much for the advice! 

It seems like everyone outsources so much, and it's a little disheartening. There are a few threads here about it, but quite a few of the responses are more about making outsourcing a possibility, not homeschooling without outsourcing. Really, just, thank you for giving me answers I can use. 

Volunteering is an option I'll look into now, but a job will have to wait until they're sixteen for legal reasons. đŸ˜•Â 

Thank you so much again for the advice and the encouragement.

• Like 1

Have you thought about downloading videos/courses/ebooks?

Most English programs should have discussion questions

UL Math and science are much easier to learn from a textbook and downloaded videos than, say, writing

Edited by Malam
  • Like 1

Paging @8filltheheart and @Lori D.

I believe my older three had a more comprehensive, challenging, and enjoyable high school experience because we didn't outsource for them. 

Three of mine did do some DE locally which was great for them, and the one that didn't did music outside the home.

I also spent time and effort finding mentors for each of mine in areas as diverse as marine science, literature, rock-climbing, classical music theory and performance, and botany.  Some mentors I made meals for, some I paid, some had my kids help them with either research or projects like stacking firewood.  I'm a firm believer in the power of mentors during high school, as much for how they impart passion for their subjects and expertise as as content.  

Good luck!  Homeschooling high school is a blast.  Lori D's motherlode threads are packed with good stuff.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 3

Yes, you can do it without outsourcing. 
I second the above suggestion of considering starting some type of book club/literature discussion. I have had no problem finding kids to come to my house to discuss a book once a month. Most homeschooling parents are happy to have someone do this for them. I also partner with a friend to do history discussion. One year we graded each other’s son’s papers. 

For upper level math and science, you learn it relearn with them. You chose a math curriculum and teach every lesson. I learned chemistry by reading chemistry to my child. You google to flesh out areas of misunderstanding. I also recommend using a science written for homeschoolers. I’ve done it both ways and have found that publishers like Apologia are more user friendly for doing it ourselves. I just discuss with my child areas of disagreement ( we are old earth not young earth.)

Foreign Language will be more challenging on your own, but possible particularly if you know a foreign language. I don’t know if BJU still rents DVDs or not, but that was an option. I think there still are some CD courses around. Or there’s always Latin. 

• Like 5

Full disclosure--we have outsourced a little . . . But I have taught/facilitated all science but physics, all math (through PreCalc), Spanish I/II, Latin I/II, Logic, History, etc.  I read ahead, learn it myself, and then facilitate/teach. For my youngest, he needs the one-on-one instruction.  

It does take a lot of my time.  Spanish especially--although I took college courses, I was rusty. So I spent a lot of time refreshing it so I could lead our conversations and correct pronunciation.  History also, because I cobbled it together from multiple sources.

I agree that you need to consider the text.  I have found this year's Chem book is not great for self-teaching.  And honestly, our Pre-Calc book isn't either.

ETA: I know you didn't ask for options, but I think Lantern English is all correspondence and there is no streaming. So that would possibly work. 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 4

We did not outsource either due to location and finances. The most we did was add a few MOOC courses as part of a subject. I invested in learning things ahead of ds - mostly math and science which were my weakest areas. I worked to find books with readily available teacher's guides and solution keys when necessary. Since ds is now through college, I don't have any specific current recommendations, but it can be done. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Malam said:

Have you thought about downloading videos/courses/ebooks?

Most English programs should have discussion questions

UL Math and science are much easier to learn from a textbook and downloaded videos than, say, writing

Thank you! 

Yes, we're thinking about downloading videos or using programs with DVDs. I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed regarding what works together, I guess. I really like the looks of VideoText, for example, but the trig unit is all online - at least, that's my understanding - so I'm worried about being lost when we get to trig/precalc. 

Sorry the reply is late. I dropped like a rock into bed. 

6 hours ago, lewelma said:

We did not outsource except violin. I am happy to answer questions. 

Thank you so much!

What did you do for math and science? Did you have trouble finding programs that were clear in the instructions? Elementary and middle school math never phased me, but high school math has me terrified.

9 hours ago, birchbark said:

Did you have any of the issues @birchbarkmentions regarding development and healthy relationships? I think my anxieties have anxiety now. 

Again, thank you!

1 hour ago, Eos said:

Paging @8filltheheart and @Lori D.

I believe my older three had a more comprehensive, challenging, and enjoyable high school experience because we didn't outsource for them. 

Three of mine did do some DE locally which was great for them, and the one that didn't did music outside the home.

I also spent time and effort finding mentors for each of mine in areas as diverse as marine science, literature, rock-climbing, classical music theory and performance, and botany.  Some mentors I made meals for, some I paid, some had my kids help them with either research or projects like stacking firewood.  I'm a firm believer in the power of mentors during high school, as much for how they impart passion for their subjects and expertise as as content.  

Good luck!  Homeschooling high school is a blast.  Lori D's motherlode threads are packed with good stuff.

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freesia said:

Yes, you can do it without outsourcing. 
I second the above suggestion of considering starting some type of book club/literature discussion. I have had no problem finding kids to come to my house to discuss a book once a month. Most homeschooling parents are happy to have someone do this for them. I also partner with a friend to do history discussion. One year we graded each other’s son’s papers. 

For upper level math and science, you learn it relearn with them. You chose a math curriculum and teach every lesson. I learned chemistry by reading chemistry to my child. You google to flesh out areas of misunderstanding. I also recommend using a science written for homeschoolers. I’ve done it both ways and have found that publishers like Apologia are more user friendly for doing it ourselves. I just discuss with my child areas of disagreement ( we are old earth not young earth.)

Foreign Language will be more challenging on your own, but possible particularly if you know a foreign language. I don’t know if BJU still rents DVDs or not, but that was an option. I think there still are some CD courses around. Or there’s always Latin. 

Thank you!

Honestly, I think I'm overthinking the science and math part. It's like I completely forgot that Google exists and almost certainly has the explanations I will need. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Full disclosure--we have outsourced a little . . . But I have taught/facilitated all science but physics, all math (through PreCalc), Spanish I/II, Latin I/II, Logic, History, etc.  I read ahead, learn it myself, and then facilitate/teach. For my youngest, he needs the one-on-one instruction.  

It does take a lot of my time.  Spanish especially--although I took college courses, I was rusty. So I spent a lot of time refreshing it so I could lead our conversations and correct pronunciation.  History also, because I cobbled it together from multiple sources.

I agree that you need to consider the text.  I have found this year's Chem book is not great for self-teaching.  And honestly, our Pre-Calc book isn't either.

ETA: I know you didn't ask for options, but I think Lantern English is all correspondence and there is no streaming. So that would possibly work. 

Thank you!

Your signature mentions Brown precalculus and Zumdahl chemistry. Are those the ones with which you are struggling? Do you mind me asking what makes them bad for self-teaching? Are there any red flags I should look for in descriptions or samples that would suggest it would be bad for self-teaching?

Thank you for telling me about Lantern English! I'll definitely give it a look. 

What are your dc's (children's) post-high school plans? Are they planning on college, thinking about college, planning to work, open to all options, etc? That would have a bearing on what suggestions.

Think about how intrinsically motivated your students are. That will really play into his successful high school is. It can be tricky as the parent to ride the crest of the wave between challenge and overwhelm. The more self-motivated they are, the more they can lead study in that area, the less motivated the more crafting you will likely need to do to bridge the gap between what they are willing to do and what you think needs to be done. You know your family best.

Not all classes have to be maximally challenging. Neither of mine were interested in history, so I was comfortable letting that be a subject we handled mainly with reading and discussion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

We did not outsource either due to location and finances. The most we did was add a few MOOC courses as part of a subject. I invested in learning things ahead of ds - mostly math and science which were my weakest areas. I worked to find books with readily available teacher's guides and solution keys when necessary. Since ds is now through college, I don't have any specific current recommendations, but it can be done. 

Thank you!

Just hearing it has and can be done is huge help. Truly, you don't know how much it helps my nerves to hear that your son has already college. It gives me hope. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miss Tick said:

What are your dc's (children's) post-high school plans? Are they planning on college, thinking about college, planning to work, open to all options, etc? That would have a bearing on what suggestions.

Think about how intrinsically motivated your students are. That will really play into his successful high school is. It can be tricky as the parent to ride the crest of the wave between challenge and overwhelm. The more self-motivated they are, the more they can lead study in that area, the less motivated the more crafting you will likely need to do to bridge the gap between what they are willing to do and what you think needs to be done. You know your family best.

Not all classes have to be maximally challenging. Neither of mine were interested in history, so I was comfortable letting that be a subject we handled mainly with reading and discussion.

My daughter plans to earn her LPN at the local trade school, then work and bridge up to an RN at either the local community college or a nursing school about an hour away. She plans to keep working and bridging until she gets her Master's of Midwifery. 

My son wants to be a SEAL or a Ranger. I'm not really sure how one prepares for those careers, but I've been informed that snipers need to know math? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Malam said:

What are their grades and educational backgrounds? Your son is going to need some specialized physical and mental training in addition to academics - do you want some recommendations on that?

They're both eighth graders (twins). We've used Ambleside Online so far, and I think they've done well with it. We use Ray's for arithmetic, and we add in some hands-on geometry with Sloyd. They are both working through the Classical Composition series and Memoria Press' Traditional Logic II right now. 

Yes, please, any suggestions are appreciated. 

• Like 1

I was thinking about this thread last night, and I know how you feel bc we just got unlimited internet- I've alreadygraduated 2, and havec2 more in high school.  Strangely I'm still not using much online, I guess I feel more comfortable with that.  I thought I'd share some of the things I had on my list as possibilities. 

Math- Math Without Borders, Saxon math with Art Reed, Dr. Callahan, Chalk Dust

English- a good book list, EIW, IEW, Writing and Rhetoric,  Lost Tools of Writing, Write Shop- there are a lot of writing programs that don't require internet. 

History- lots of textbooks, I just read them aloud and discuss with my kid.  Buy used for cheap on Amazon.  I do suggest getting a good historical map book and if possible find some maps for them to label and color.  I have Pandia Press, but I used other books to teach from,  just use their maps.  

Science-

Miller Levine Biology is really good and easy to find.  I also bought a book of assessments so I have the tests.  You can look for labs or buy a lab kit.   I also have the Princeton Review coloring book.  

Zumdahl Chemistry- very easy to read.   I got a TM and teaching materials for tests.   Kit from Home Science Tools.   

I've also did the same for Holt textbooks.  You will probably need to buy a lab kit, but Pinecrest has a lot of ideas.  

I drive an hour to my library, and in the summer I make a list of the books I may like to use from there.  I do have to pay a fee to join, since its not my local library, but its worth it.  My kids have driven an hour to take DE classes, the ones that are 2 days a week.  At some point that might be something you want to do.  Trade schools and CC sometimes offer LPN, so start looking now for options and admission requirements.   Here, students need to be 16 to do classes on campus.  It might be worth it to drive by that time, or you could have better internet for online classes.  

Best of Luck!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, possiblyavampire said:

My daughter plans to earn her LPN at the local trade school, then work and bridge up to an RN at either the local community college or a nursing school about an hour away. She plans to keep working and bridging until she gets her Master's of Midwifery. 

My son wants to be a SEAL or a Ranger. I'm not really sure how one prepares for those careers, but I've been informed that snipers need to know math? 

It really helps that they have some goals picked out for you to head towards. I agree with PP that it makes sense to investigate the LPN program and what their requirements are now. You might be able to piggyback using the CC's wifi for an outside class on top of making the drive there to get a class or two knocked out during their junior or senior years.

I don't know if you have cell phones, or if so what kind of plan you have, but I've seen both my high schoolers set up their phones to supply Internet for online classes when the home Internet was down, or when traveling in a car in a trip. I know you aren't looking for online classes, but I thought I would mention that possibility in case you need something different in a couple of years.

For full disclosure, I'm biased towards outsourcing a class or two as the years go on because *I* didn't feel capable of doing the whole thing for both my high schoolers at the same time, but there are a few people on here who have done just that, so don't let me apply undue influence!

Edited by Miss Tick
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, possiblyavampire said:

Thank you!

Your signature mentions Brown precalculus and Zumdahl chemistry. Are those the ones with which you are struggling? Do you mind me asking what makes them bad for self-teaching? Are there any red flags I should look for in descriptions or samples that would suggest it would be bad for self-teaching?

Thank you for telling me about Lantern English! I'll definitely give it a look. 

They are both written assuming there is some sort of lecture by a teacher. There are times the Brown Precalc book goes very quickly through a topic, not covering it thoroughly or showing all steps, because (my theory) the teacher would be doing that in class. Since I worked through all the assigned problems myself first, I was able to identify places where the instruction from the book was lacking and try to find videos/sources for supplementing it. That obviously takes time. 

The chemistry book is a college text, and my guess is that it is supposed to be supplemented by lecture. I do add in videos from Crash Course, Tyler DeWitt, Bozeman, etc. but my kids would have done so much better with instruction. 

Sometimes learning from a textbook is just hard. And not every kid will learn best that way. 

That said, there are DVD video series that can be used.  Some people mentioned Great Courses upthread--that is an option.  

For history there are various video series--some of which come on DVD. Other than Great Courses, there is Old Western Culture (Roman Roads) and Dave Raymond's history (Compass Classroom).  My kids did not tend to like DVD instruction so I avoided it. 

1 hour ago, possiblyavampire said:

What did you do for math and science? Did you have trouble finding programs that were clear in the instructions? Elementary and middle school math never phased me, but high school math has me terrified.

This is making me giggle a bit, because Lewelma's oldest is a math and science rock star, taught by her.  Many people here like to prioritize critical thinking and engagement with texts and curricula, which makes it much more interesting for us as parents.  I think your AO background will make it an easy transition.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I'm biased towards outsourcing a class or two as the years go on

I feel this way about DE, especially for my kids who had never taken a class in a school. It taught them how to do college, eg you have to raise your hand to speak??  My kids might have been slightly feral đŸ™‚Â but adjusted very easily to college.

• Like 3

My oldest had zero outsourcing. Not only did we not have the money to outsource but she preferred to learn independently. She self studied for AP Exams and did very well. She got into a top university with a full ride scholarship so it didn't hurt her academically. She chose to take a few SAT subject tests to verify strength of knowledge as well. 

ETA: I think outsourcing at least a class or two is a huge benefit to help a student get used to a classroom environment. This wasn't a hurdle for DD, she stepped right into college fine but she was unusually mature for her age. Some kiddos may really struggle with college if they'd never had a classroom environment before. 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 3

Can you let us know how they do on the grade 7 end of year tests here? 

https://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/placement_tests

For your son, look into what your state congresspeople require for a recommendation for a US Service Academy, and also consider aiming for a congressional gold award: https://www.congressionalaward.org/ and/or a presidential volunteer service award: presidentialserviceawards.gov

For fitness, start with a couch to 5k and a beginner bodyweightfitness routine on reddit, like this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/skillday/

Edited by Malam
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, possiblyavampire said:

Thank you so much!

For math, I taught my younger directly. He had dysgraphia which badly impacted how he could code language into math. So I sat with him 1 hour per day as we went through the books (NZ curriculum). Every. single. day. throughout highschool. This was obviously incredibly time consuming, but very valuable for him.  (My older is a math genius, quite literally, so his experience won't help you).

For science, we used some textbooks and did some trade books. We did some independent work and some read a louds. 

Physics: my older and I worked through Knights College Physics over 2 years (younger did not do physics). For his lab, he did a month long investigation on pendulums ending with a broken pendulum cutting across a springy ruler. The focus was on data collection, errors, math etc. He wrote up a very mathy report on this work. 

Chemistry: We used NZ materials, I learned this content with my older. I did all the work that he did and we studied together for tests. For my younger, I now knew it, so could teach directly.  For labs, we did both homeschool lab classes at the university and had a kit to do more basic labs at home.

Biology: We used trade books for Biology. My dh read and discussed The Way Life Works with each boy, The Cartoon Guide to Genetics, David Attenborough documentaries for Ecology and Evolution, and other stuff that I can't remember (but could dig up if it would be helpful). My older also read Scientific American cover to cover for 4 years which had lots of biology but also lots of other science in it. For labs, my younger didn't do any (Environmental science was his other lab class), but my older did a month long project on Biostatistics and analysed some data I found and then wrote up a full scientific paper. 

Environmental Science: my younger took a university class in his senior year that was paid for by the government.

HTH. Happy to answer other questions.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 2

A few programs that come with video lessons:

Math
The Cool Math Guy (formerly: Chalkdust) DVDs -- Prealgebura through several levels of college Calculus
Teaching Textbooks DVDs -- Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calculus
Math U See DVDs -- Pre-Algebra through Calculus
Saxon DIVE CDs -- Pre-Algebra through Calculus

Science
Thinkwell Chemistry -- CD-Rom
Thinkwell Biology -- CD-Rom

Foreign Language
SOS - Spanish -- (Switched On Schoolhouse) -- CD-Rom
ACE Paces - French I -- (Accelerated Christian Education) -- workbooks and audiotapes
CAP - Latin Alive I -- (Classical Academic Press) -- DVD, workbook, teacher guide

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Malam said:

Does the local highschool (or other highschools in driving distance) have AP exams?

They have only offered AP U.S. history in person. Only one student even tried the exam, and she got a 2. I've heard similar stories about the other three high schools in the county. One used to have a fantastic AP World History program; the students always got 4s and 5s, but the teacher retired and moved further south during COVID. 

Everything else has to be done online through the state's virtual program, and the teachers don't put much effort into it. My niece tried to study Chinese on it. She would start her lessons on Monday and email the teacher that day if she was stuck. She would usually not get a response until Thursday night, despite all of the work being due on Friday. It was a mess. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Lori D. said:

A few programs that come with video lessons:

Math
The Cool Math Guy (formerly: Chalkdust) DVDs -- Prealgebura through several levels of college Calculus
Teaching Textbooks DVDs -- Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calculus
Math U See DVDs -- Pre-Algebra through Calculus
Saxon DIVE CDs -- 

Science
Thinkwell Chemistry -- CD-Rom
Thinkwell Biology -- CD-Rom

Foreign Language
SOS - Spanish -- (Switched On Schoolhouse) -- CD-Rom
ACE Paces - French I -- (Accelerated Christian Education) -- workbooks and audiotapes
CAP - Latin Alive I -- (Classical Academic Press) -- DVD, workbook, teacher guide

Thank you!

19 hours ago, lewelma said:

For math, I taught my younger directly. He had dysgraphia which badly impacted how he could code language into math. So I sat with him 1 hour per day as we went through the books (NZ curriculum). Every. single. day. throughout highschool. This was obviously incredibly time consuming, but very valuable for him.  (My older is a math genius, quite literally, so his experience won't help you).

For science, we used some textbooks and did some trade books. We did some independent work and some read a louds. 

Physics: my older and I worked through Knights College Physics over 2 years (younger did not do physics). For his lab, he did a month long investigation on pendulums ending with a broken pendulum cutting across a springy ruler. The focus was on data collection, errors, math etc. He wrote up a very mathy report on this work. 

Chemistry: We used NZ materials, I learned this content with my older. I did all the work that he did and we studied together for tests. For my younger, I now knew it, so could teach directly.  For labs, we did both homeschool lab classes at the university and had a kit to do more basic labs at home.

Biology: We used trade books for Biology. My dh read and discussed The Way Life Works with each boy, The Cartoon Guide to Genetics, David Attenborough documentaries for Ecology and Evolution, and other stuff that I can't remember (but could dig up if it would be helpful). My older also read Scientific American cover to cover for 4 years which had lots of biology but also lots of other science in it. For labs, my younger didn't do any (Environmental science was his other lab class), but my older did a month long project on Biostatistics and analysed some data I found and then wrote up a full scientific paper. 

Environmental Science: my younger took a university class in his senior year that was paid for by the government.

HTH. Happy to answer other questions.

Ruth in NZ

Thank you so much! That's really helpful; you don't know how much. Your physics lab project sounds really interesting (and doable). I've been panicking a bit about physics labs because it's easy to get biology or chemistry lab kits, but it seems like there are much fewer options for physics. 

On 2/18/2023 at 11:03 AM, Miss Tick said:

It really helps that they have some goals picked out for you to head towards. I agree with PP that it makes sense to investigate the LPN program and what their requirements are now. You might be able to piggyback using the CC's wifi for an outside class on top of making the drive there to get a class or two knocked out during their junior or senior years.

I don't know if you have cell phones, or if so what kind of plan you have, but I've seen both my high schoolers set up their phones to supply Internet for online classes when the home Internet was down, or when traveling in a car in a trip. I know you aren't looking for online classes, but I thought I would mention that possibility in case you need something different in a couple of years.

For full disclosure, I'm biased towards outsourcing a class or two as the years go on because *I* didn't feel capable of doing the whole thing for both my high schoolers at the same time, but there are a few people on here who have done just that, so don't let me apply undue influence!

For high schoolers, there are no LPN entry requirements. They simply sign up at the local trade school at the end of their junior year to take the class during their senior year. It used to be much more competitive, but enrollment has dropped amongst high schoolers. Normally, there are only about four or five high schoolers in the program. The bulk are adult students. 

Our cell phone service is worse than the internet. We have to use our WIFI to use our phones. 

I have graduated 6 of our 8 from our homeschool so far.  Of  those 6, career-wise their degrees/careers are chemE, masters in physics/works in the computer industry, occupational therapy assistant, librarian (majored in French and Russian), and college jr (majoring in atmospheric science).  The other is autistic and works full-time in retail.

I rarely outsource and outsourcing is my last source option.  If I can figure a way to do it at home, we do.  If it is way beyond that possibility, we outsource.  When we outsource, I try to do it with the best source option I can find (I spend a lot of time researching options.)   So, some of my kids have not outsourced at all.  My extremely accelerated ds DE at a 4 yr university for quite a few classes.  

So, yes it is doable.  But, it takes being willing to take on the responsibility and researching what will work for your family.  You can use some classes as resources without taking them as an online course. For example, Connie, a former poster on this forum, offers an excellent chemistry course.  (Clover Valley Chemistry) You can pay to do parent grading and do the class completely asynchronously and use her teaching as the sole source or as a supplement.  Derek Owens offers math and physics in a similar format.  You say you don't have streaming access, but videos could be watched on a phone or through wifi at a place like the library or even Starbucks.  For times or subjects that I want support, that is pretty much the approach I take.  Find a resource that can assist with the teaching/explanations.    (Chalkdust math offers dvds if you want a solid math program with a non-online component.  I definitely do not recommend TT or MUS for high school math, but I want my kids to have very strong math skills.)

All lit, history, philosophy, theology, Latin, and writing instruction I have done at home with self-designed courses.  Sometimes I use Great Course lectures to supplement what we read/discuss.  My dd taught herself to fluency in French without a teacher.  (She had a teacher for Russian in high school.  They met over skype.)  

Anyway, yes, it can be done.  I would recommend researching what it takes to join the military in the capacity that your ds wants.  I know nothing about the military at all.  

• Like 5

We do outsource (both Derek Owens and Clover Valley mentioned by 8filltheheart have been hits here), but if you are stuck on a particular subject you could consider a program that is more like a correspondence course rather than video? Something like Oak Meadow or Lantern English? You'd still need email, but wouldn't need great internet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

I have graduated 6 of our 8 from our homeschool so far.  Of  those 6, career-wise their degrees/careers are chemE, masters in physics/works in the computer industry, occupational therapy assistant, librarian (majored in French and Russian), and college jr (majoring in atmospheric science).  The other is autistic and works full-time in retail.

I rarely outsource and outsourcing is my last source option.  If I can figure a way to do it at home, we do.  If it is way beyond that possibility, we outsource.  When we outsource, I try to do it with the best source option I can find (I spend a lot of time researching options.)   So, some of my kids have not outsourced at all.  My extremely accelerated ds DE at a 4 yr university for quite a few classes.  

So, yes it is doable.  But, it takes being willing to take on the responsibility and researching what will work for your family.  You can use some classes as resources without taking them as an online course. For example, Connie, a former poster on this forum, offers an excellent chemistry course.  (Clover Valley Chemistry) You can pay to do parent grading and do the class completely asynchronously and use her teaching as the sole source or as a supplement.  Derek Owens offers math and physics in a similar format.  You say you don't have streaming access, but videos could be watched on a phone or through wifi at a place like the library or even Starbucks.  For times or subjects that I want support, that is pretty much the approach I take.  Find a resource that can assist with the teaching/explanations.    (Chalkdust math offers dvds if you want a solid math program with a non-online component.  I definitely do not recommend TT or MUS for high school math, but I want my kids to have very strong math skills.)

All lit, history, philosophy, theology, Latin, and writing instruction I have done at home with self-designed courses.  Sometimes I use Great Course lectures to supplement what we read/discuss.  My dd taught herself to fluency in French without a teacher.  (She had a teacher for Russian in high school.  They met over skype.)  

Anyway, yes, it can be done.  I would recommend researching what it takes to join the military in the capacity that your ds wants.  I know nothing about the military at all.  

Thank you so much!

Can I ask what you don't like about TT and MUS? I've heard mixed reviews about both, but I've definitely heard more negative reviews about TT. Thank you!

1 minute ago, Kristini2 said:

We do outsource (both Derek Owens and Clover Valley mentioned by 8filltheheart have been hits here), but if you are stuck on a particular subject you could consider a program that is more like a correspondence course rather than video? Something like Oak Meadow or Lantern English? You'd still need email, but wouldn't need great internet. 

I'm willing to look at correspondence courses, especially for math and science. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, possiblyavampire said:

Thank you so much!

Can I ask what you don't like about TT and MUS? I've heard mixed reviews about both, but I've definitely heard more negative reviews about TT. Thank you!

MUS is very light. It tends to be the go-to for math strugglers who are very Visual-Spatial. Most STEM students will need something more meaty and rigorous to adequately prepare for the college maths they will be taking for their degree program. However, I have also seen several times on these boards that STEM-based students so "click" with MUS that they go on and have no troubles at all with Calculus etc. in college, and at least twice, I saw posters in the past on these boards say that their students, in college, ended up tutoring fellow students through Calculus.

TT original editions of the upper level maths were light -- for example the old/original Alg. 2 only covered half of the scope and sequence of other regular (non-rigorous) Alg. 2 programs around. I believe this problem was addressed with the current editions of the high school maths offered by TT. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, possiblyavampire said:

Thank you so much!

My opinion is that both are very weak compared to standard math textbooks.  I use MUS's alg and geo with my kids when they finish their 6th grade math text.  I use them as pre-alg/pre-geo followed by another yr of each with more difficult books.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lori D. said:

MUS is very light. It tends to be the go-to for math strugglers who are very Visual-Spatial. Most STEM students will need something more meaty and rigorous to adequately prepare for the college maths they will be taking for their degree program. However, I have also seen several times on these boards that STEM-based students so "click" with MUS that they go on and have no troubles at all with Calculus etc. in college, and at least twice, I saw posters in the past on these boards say that their students, in college, ended up tutoring fellow students through Calculus.

TT original editions of the upper level maths were light -- for example the old/original Alg. 2 only covered half of the scope and sequence of other regular (non-rigorous) Alg. 2 programs around. I believe this problem was addressed with the current editions of the high school maths offered by TT. 

Thank you!

1 minute ago, 8filltheheart said:

My opinion is that both are very weak compared to standard math textbooks.  I use MUS's alg and geo with my kids when they finish their 6th grade math text.  I use them as pre-alg/pre-geo followed by another yr of each with more difficult books.  

Thank you!

That's a neat way of doing things, by the way. 

Just adding to @8filltheheart's review of MUS and TT -- you don't want to "hope" that MUS or TT will be "enough" if your student is heading to college, and esp. toward a STEM field. If you do go with one of them, I would use it as @8filltheheart does -- as an intro or exposure with a very visual explanation, and then fill in and go further with a more standard or more rigorous math program.

I only mentioned the anecdotes above because MUS so often gets trashed, and it can be a very good fit for certain students in certain situations. (MUS was what worked for my big-time math struggler DS#2 -- however, he NEVER had the plan to go into a STEM field, and in fact, has successfully taken an alternate career path from getting a college degree.)

I don't know as though I would use MUS for someone going into nursing.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Just now, 8filltheheart said:

Do you live near a McDonalds or Starbucks or a library where you can access free wifi? I homeschooled before internet and personal computers were common.  Having access to the internet definitely makes things easier.

Not really. We live in a really rural area. McDonald's, the library, etc. are all the next town over, about an hour and a mountain away. The roads are bad in the winter, so I would like to not be dependent on crossing them daily. 

2 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Just adding to @8filltheheart's review of MUS and TT -- you don't want to "hope" that MUS or TT will be "enough" if your student is heading to college, and esp. toward a STEM field. If you do go with one of them, I would use it as @8filltheheart does -- as an intro or exposure with a very visual explanation, and then fill in and go further with a more standard or more rigorous math program.

I only mentioned the anecdotes above because MUS so often gets trashed, and it can be a very good fit for certain students in certain situations. I don't know as though I would use it for someone going into nursing.

Thank you!

We are also homeschooling high school with not a lot of outsourcing.  My 11th grader took an online course for AP Chem, and both of my high schoolers have had outside teachers (tutors/classes) for foreign language and some religious studies classes.  My 11th grader has also taken a couple of college courses but those were supplementary rather than replacements for core courses at home.

It is a ton of work, there's no getting around that.  The most helpful thing I did was switch from year-round schooling -- which we did when they were younger -- to a strict school-year schedule.  This was in part to make it possible for my high schoolers to access summer options (although during Covid there weren't much of those available) but also to give me a solid block of time to design and plan the upcoming school year.  If you have limited internet access, you are probably going to have to do a lot of planning ahead to make sure that you have everything that you need, when you need it.

I also recommend the College Board AP resources.  WE have done a bunch of AP classes at home, and while I don't always love the format and the situation around test access for homeschoolers is absolutely maddening, i get a lot of use of the resources on the AP site itself.  For example, this year my oldest is studying European history  -- we decided not to actually do the AP syllabus and/or take the test because they would be too constraining, but I still went through the process (Course Audit) that lets me access all of the AP Euro resources and have found them quite helpful.  

• Like 3